To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Fish newbie

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Fish newbie

Post by S_sutton87 »

Hi there Im a fiso newbie and Im hoping now that I've found this site it will help me improve my fpl game in the 16/17 season. 15/16 was my second season of doing it and I finished 111k so with the help of fiso I'm hoping to finish in the top 20k next season if anyone's has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Re: Fish newbie

Post by The Catman »

Welcome to FISO.

Keep an eye on the forum from early August, you will get loads of food for thought

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Thanks

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Not much is being offered so I'll see if I can help a bit.

The first thing is, don't copy others. FPL is all about decision-making and you have to know why you are doing things rather than just following the herd. That means understanding how the game works properly.

It's easy to think that it's all about selecting the "right" players but it isn't really because the "right" players are always uncertain until after the event. It is true that you can have a player that is more likely to score well over a 4-6 week period than another (some will refer to this as "expected points" [eP] or "expected value" [eV]) but the differences are often quite marginal and can easily be overthrown by luck or changes of circumstance. It is also true that luck or skill (or a combination, which it usually is) in selecting players can make your underlying decision-making look good or bad. Good managers can have bad runs, even bad seasons. Less good managers can have good or lucky runs, even good seasons, even outstanding seasons sometimes. Better to concentrate on the quality of your underlying decision-making rather than worrying too much about the froth of whether your team did well last week or not.

For this reason, if I were constructing a learning route for a FPL manager it would be about the basic building blocks of FPL management in order to ensure that you understand the game really well, it is more complex than it appears. If you concentrate on those building blocks then as you understand them better you will make better decisions and that will (in the end) reflect in how well your team does. In order to help with this, here are some questions. The more sure of your answers to them you are then the better your grasp of the building blocks will be (although doubtless there will be some elements missed, this will only be a 'starter' list to which perhaps some others will add).

1. What are the available ways to structure a 15-man squad? What are the benefits and drawbacks of different structures? How do you ensure that you are getting the maximum return from your £100m budget?

Note: With a 15-man squad you are forced to use around £17.5m minimum on substitutes. What quality of substitutes you have, whether you spend the minimum or invest more and whether you use them in rotation with other players or just use them as "bench fodder" to use that ugly phrase is one of the most important strategic elements in FPL. There isn't a right answer, what will work best won't necessarily be the same at all times, it will depend on whether high-cost players are out-performing the others or not. The more premium-priced players are performing well the more important squad structure becomes.

2. What is the ideal team formation and why?

Note: 3-4-3 is the default formation for many of the better managers in FPL, with an occasional excursion into 3-5-2. But other systems have not been equivalently tested. Under certain circumstances 4-4-2 could be equally valid. You need to understand the whys and wherefores here.

3. What is the importance of bonus points (BPs) in FPL? How do they work? Which (types of) players are most likely to get them?

Note: They are far more significant than a new manager will realise.

4. How can you measure player value? It is not difficult to find a £10m player who will score more FPL points than a £8m player. But we can't have 15x£10m players, we can't even have 11 of them. Value for budget is therefore an issue, it's not just about having all the players you think will score the most points. So how do you relate the performance of an £8m player with a £10m player on value? How many more points per week does the £10m player need to score to justify the investment?

5. What are the benefits and drawbacks of taking hits (extra transfers costing -4)? When are they justified and why?

Note: This factors into developing an overall strategy about transfers in general, to include the use of FTs.

6. Which are the best-performing GKs in FPL? What (types of) team do they play for? What is the importance of save points (SPs) when selecting a GK? How do a GK's potential SPs and BPs factor in against their potential for clean sheets when selecting them?

Note: Deciding about the kind of GKs you want will be an important component in structuring a squad. But you need to understand the pros and cons. There is no 'right' answer that remains the same under all circumstances.

7. What is the relative importance of potential clean sheet points (CS), attacking points (goals/assists) and BPs for a defender? Which should you prioritise when selecting defenders and by how much?

8. How important is it to look at stats when assessing players? Which are the important stats (the best indicators)? How important is the "eye" test (from watching games)? When watching games, what are you looking for when assessing FPL options? Is there any other information that needs taking into account?

Note: The elements of player selection are quite diverse. You need to figure out how you will do it and how much weight you will give to stats, eye impressions, manager comments (press conferences), player comments and other factors like motivation and mood.

9. How important is captaincy in FPL? What do people mean when they say a player is "explosive"? Is it better to have an 'explosive' captain who also blanks quite often or a safe captain who blanks less often but is less likely to get a big haul of points in one game? In this respect are defenders, midfielders or strikers generally better captaincy choices and why?

Note: This is another one that is more important than most managers new to FPL will realise. There are a variety of ways to go about selecting them - some very good managers even go so far as to always captain the player at the top of the FFS poll and take their own decision-making out of it.

10. How important is player ownership in FPL player selection and captain selection?

Nowadays we know the percentage of teams in the top 1k, the top 10k and in general that include any particular player. Understanding the implications of owning (or not owning) and captaining (or not captaining) a highly owned player is important in developing your game strategy.

Well, that's just a starter really, the list is very long. As you work on and consider questions like these you will start to develop a strategy of your own. This is very important actually. There are different ways to approach FPL and the strategy you use has to sit well with your personality type and nature. For me, as an example, I know how to play FPL in a conservative way, always making the percentage decisions, and can more or less guarantee a decent (top 10k) finishing position for my team if I do (unless I get a very unlucky run). But it would also bore me to tears to play that way. So I have had to develop a strategy that is a bit more radical and risk-taking (and am still working on it). I want to beat the conservative approach, not replicate it. But that's me. You need to develop a strategy and style of play that suits you.

In the end it depends on how well you want to play FPL. But on FISO you will encounter quite a few managers who find FPL to be a fascinating diversion and analyse/study it more deeply than most normal human beings would imagine to be possible. :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I'd go for a cod initially as a simple but typical example and then try more exotic fish as I got used to the concept.

payetme
FISOhead
FS Record: 4-1

Post by payetme »

welcome to FISO, this is a great community. You will most defintetly do better next season

Last year was my first season of playing FPL I finished 220k(had no idea what I was doing the first couple of months). This year I finished 35k. I'm striving for 10k next year

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Thanks ruth that's a good in depth reply to get my teeth into I'm looking forward to my next season already I've set my targets and hopefully with the help of fiso I will get them

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Re: RE: Re: Fish newbie

Post by S_sutton87 »

murf wrote:I'd go for a cod initially as a simple but typical example and then try more exotic fish as I got used to the concept.
Haha damn auto correct lol

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

If you edit your initial post you can change the title. You just need to click in the right plaice.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Fish newbie

Post by jacksosi »

What a carp first post

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Am I the sole who doesn't find it funny? ;)

(actually I thought he meant fish in the poker meaning :mrgreen: )

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

You've come to a good plaice for advice.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Alright Alright no need to keep carping on

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

S_sutton87 wrote:Alright Alright no need to keep carping on

Oh, they will. This passes as excellent entertainment in the off-season. :mrgreen:

By the way, if you are going to make a big improvement next season you should join a cash league. You'll be squids in.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
S_sutton87 wrote:Alright Alright no need to keep carping on

Oh, they will. This passes as excellent entertainment in the off-season. :mrgreen:

By the way, if you are going to make a big improvement next season you should join a cash league. You'll be squids in.
How do join a cash league? This squid is burning a whole in my pocket

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

S_sutton87 wrote: How do join a cash league? This squid is burning a whole in my pocket

There will doubtless be some advertised on here. If not I can point you in the right direction when the time comes.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Thanks I'd appreciate that

payetme
FISOhead

Post by payetme »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
S_sutton87 wrote: How do join a cash league? This squid is burning a whole in my pocket

There will doubtless be some advertised on here. If not I can point you in the right direction when the time comes.
how many cash leagues were you in Ruth? I need to join some more for next season.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

payetme wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:

how many cash leagues were you in Ruth? I need to join some more for next season.
Just the one. Came 2nd and made a good profit.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Ruth_NZ's main post in this thread is excellent. But it seems to me that it's probably more use to managers who are already very familiar with FPL as it's a useful check list of questions. However it is possibly of less use to newbies, who need a bit of help with answers to a few questions rather than just a rather list of questions that they should be asking.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
payetme wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:

What cash league was it?

If you don't mind me signing in the league to steal your pot :wink:

payetme
FISOhead

Post by payetme »

Finisher1 wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
payetme wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:

What cash league was it?

If you don't mind me signing in the league to steal your pot :wink:
haha I'll send you a PM, I need some new challengers to dethrone me

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”