To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FPL improvements for next year?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 9th overall in FPL 2005/06, 50th 2010/11, 288th 2014/15

FPL improvements for next year?

Post by The Dazzler »

FPL tweak and change the game every year. So what are some changes you'd like to see next year?

1. The indefinite rolled transfer.
We can roll a transfer and have 2 free the following week. Why do we stop at 2? Why can't we roll it and roll it and have 3, 4 or 5 transfers? It would be good to encourage back 'dead' teams if they saw they had 8 free transfers. I don't see a downside.
2. Sales price and buying price history.
In years past, when you went to your 'transfer history' page, you used to be able to see what price you sold each player at and at what price you bought each player at. For some reason they got rid of that and it really annoys me! Obviously you can work it out but it can be tedious and without FPLstats, I don't think you could work it out with certainty. Just give us our prices back. Why remove useful information?
3. Captaincy order.
You only have a (c) and a (vc). If either don't play, you get nothing. It doesn't happen often but it can happen. Why not have a drop down list to pick your first 5 in order?
4. I know no one agrees with me and I know it's not going to happen but I wish they went back to the old bonus points system. They won't do that so I at least hope that they tweak the system so that the players that played the best football on the pitch, as opposed to the best stat collecting players, actually get the bonus points. Basically tweak the system so that you actually get the results that the old system was much better at getting. :roll:

I guess they'll use all these chips again next year. Maybe they'll have more of them.
4. Joker chip.
How about a joker chip that can be used as any chip you like. A wildcard, a triple captain, a bench boost.
5. Free transfer chip.
How about having an "extra transfer" chip? So if you have 1 free transfer this week, you click the 'extra transfer' chip and you have 2 free transfers. If you have 2 free, use it, you have 3.
6. Best captaincy score guaranteed chip.
Can't decide between Kane and Aguero for the armband? Fret not, 'best captaincy score guaranteed' chip gives the armband to the best scoring of your (vc) & (c).
7. Two captains chip.
How about a chip that both your (vc) & (c) get their score doubled.

There are tons of variations of chips they could go for so let's hear them. Also any other ideas.
Maybe they'll take some of these ideas on board. It's not as if their 'innovation' team is exactly pulling up tress at Fpl Towers.

PitchBookMaker
Treebeard

Re: FPL improvements for next year?

Post by PitchBookMaker »

I've mentioned this before, but my idea would be a "Cash Out" chip which allows you to trade in some amount of cash ITB in exchange for points. Perhaps something like 20 points per million £, this would help reward those who play the game for points but also manage/build TV.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I'm OK with the game as it is in terms of the basics and I don't want any more gimmicks. So my message to FPL would be one thing only:

GET THE PRICING RIGHT!!!

This season FPL basically classed 7 players as premiums - Costa, Hazard, Rooney, Aguero, Silva, Sturridge, Sanchez (plus KDB when he arrived). In effect they said "you can only have 2 of those but you can have more or less whoever else you like".

That could maybe have worked had 5 or 6 of those turned out to be very desirable. In actual fact none of them has been on a consistent basis, whether through injury or loss of form or both. As a result FPL has been a free-for-all with way too much cash washing around and no pressure on budgets at all. That's not good for the game, it makes it too easy (and too random).

So, FPL, don't put all your eggs in 7 baskets. Spread the pricing, make it harder. Every Arsenal mid 8.5 at the start of the season (apart from Sanchez)? Not high enough. Lukaku 8.0m, Yaya 8.5m, Mata 8.5m, Giroud 9m? Not high enough. Cech 5.5m, De Gea 5.5m, Lloris 5.0m, Hart 5.5m? Not high enough.

In addition, perhaps you could make price changes more dynamic. Allow 0.5 rises/falls in a week and at the same time, increase the cost of a hit to 5 points. In other words, make the game harder and put a bigger premium on foresight and good squad management.

Player pricing creates the main strategic challenge in FPL. When prices are too kind there is little strategic challenge at all. :(

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Perhaps two clean sheet points per 45 minutes instead of giving 4 clean sheet points per 60 minutes, might make picking defenders a bit different as well.
The Dazzler wrote:2. Sales price and buying price history.
In years past, when you went to your 'transfer history' page, you used to be able to see what price you sold each player at and at what price you bought each player at. For some reason they got rid of that and it really annoys me! Obviously you can work it out but it can be tedious and without FPLstats, I don't think you could work it out with certainty. Just give us our prices back. Why remove useful information?
Isn't this the (same as the) "data view" tab on the transfer page?

Curmudgeon
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Curmudgeon »

1. Have an "I was drunk on Friday" chip to allow the reversal of any transfers you made the previous night after the pubs had closed

2. Have an "I didn't really want to do that, but someone on FISO said it was a good idea" chip to nullify a transfer which resulted in a non-playing player

3. Have an "I knew I should have" chip to allow one transfer at half time during one match

4. Have an "I wish the manager had mentioned that at the press conference" chip usable to make a transfer after an official team announcement

5. Have an "I wish I hadn't benched him" chip to change the subs after they had played but before the end of the game week

6. Have an "I give up" chip which cancels all subscriptions to web fantasy football sites and replaces them with bookmarks for DIY sites.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Curmudgeon wrote:...
:lol: 8-) :D

icefish
Treebeard

Post by icefish »

Two things I´ve sometimes wanted to see in the game (most often when i´m frustrated):

- Interests on money in the bank since they tax profits when transfering player out.
- That you can sell a player to cash out on the price before you buy the replacement. For example you could according to that rule sell KDB today but decide on his successor after the weekend.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I suspect that they will continue to dumb down, although maybe not next season as they may change it slowly.

More or different chips are probably to be expected, the AoA seemed a bit of a pointless chip so maybe that will be replaced with something else.

Most of the ideas above would never be implemented because they give an advantage to planners, however i can't disagree enough on making price changes more aggressive. they've already slowed them down anyway from that Suarez year so can't see it happening. I think the balance is right at the moment.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Agree with Mav3rick. Like everything else it seems, the more popular something becomes the more it gets dumbed down. I would dump the new chips completely. I like the idea of unlimited transfer rollovers.

I agree with Ruth re this year's pricing structure. I'd like price changes to be implemented at the start of each new game week rather than each day but to allow multiple transfers at this point.

Nozbit
Kevin and Perry

Post by Nozbit »

Over the past few seasons it seems more and more goals are being scored and clean sheets are becoming a bit of a rarity and if nothing else then certainly unpredictable. Based on this, I would like to see more points awarded for a clean sheet and a slight modification to how they are awarded.

I'd make it 2 points for a clean sheet at HT and another 4 for a clean sheet at FT.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

1. I am not sure that FPL can be held accountable for all seven of the premium picks coming up short this year in real terms. That one or two might have a bad year/injured/etc might be expected. Nobody saw Hazard failing to score by February.

2. The planners eventually come out on top irrespective of the changes. It is an oft floated fallacy on here to suggest otherwise. That some aspects of the game don't overly benefit planners, for me, a sometimes detailed planner and occasional reactionary, is just a way to plays to different instincts. They're good marketing tools as well, and companies only run these games for us to enjoy because there is benefit for them as well.

3. Rolling transfers and/or the extra transfer chip sound possible, especially the latter.

4. Making defenders more desirable would be positive. The tweaks to BP's have attempted this and moved it from an attack v attack game. They could go further (2 points for half time clean sheet and I'll go for a block of whoever plays Man U every week at the moment!)

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Mav3rick wrote:Most of the ideas above would never be implemented because they give an advantage to planners, however i can't disagree enough on making price changes more aggressive. they've already slowed them down anyway from that Suarez year so can't see it happening. I think the balance is right at the moment.
I think price changes should be limited to one or two days only. Now that they happen every night, it takes so much time to catch up every price rise in the early seaosn, because you have to be well-prepared every day.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

By the way, what about my idea, that paying a certain amount of point hits before the beginning of the season, you can have unlimited money and unlimited transfers for the whole season?

For example, if you take -800 point hit before GW1 (or whenever you register a team), you can have unlimited money and unlimited transfers for the whole season.

I know it's not going to happen, neither do I really want it, but it would be kind of funny :lol:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

What about one chip, where you get exactly 100 points from a gameweek of your choice. So your GW score is 100, no more no less, regardless how your players perform in that specific gameweek.

Or chip that makes your GW score exactly 30 points regarding how your players perform, but allowing you to have unlimited transfers in the same gameweek. Should this be played or not?

It's so funny to invent these new chips :lol:

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

In what way has it been "dumbed down"?

Dutchie
Cheetah

Post by Dutchie »

I wish they'd add some better features to the website rather than tweaking the game anymore.

A notification that there has been a mini league forum post would be nice. This would stop the current situation where nothing is said all season, some of my mini leagues are played against people on the other side of the world.

An indication on the team page of which chips someone has already used would be nice too, I know this is visible in their game week history.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Tall Paul wrote:In what way has it been "dumbed down"?
Generally, changes have been to make it easier to keep up if you take your eye off the ball.

Vice captains, the winter wildcard, the flag systems, the second half of the season wildcard, the reduction in premium keeper prices, its all ways to keep more casual players interested (or at least not punished) for as long as possible.

The chips are a bit different because they can be used to a planners advantage, but they have a dual nature in that they artificially inflate the rank of casuals who blow them early, thus keeping them interested for longer.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Dutchie wrote:I wish they'd add some better features to the website rather than tweaking the game anymore.

agreed.

Can we see more than 50 in a league at one time, center on me, etc
Bring back league of leagues.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Have an "I make my own luck" chip that let's you switch your captain and vice captain after both have played

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:1. I am not sure that FPL can be held accountable for all seven of the premium picks coming up short this year in real terms. That one or two might have a bad year/injured/etc might be expected. Nobody saw Hazard failing to score by February.
Agreed. But they can be held accountable for under-pricing everyone else. :?

And please no more chips. It's bad enough already. I can see the drawbacks to making price movements more volatile but increasing the cost of a hit still seems a good idea to me.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Ruth_NZ wrote:And please no more chips. It's bad enough already.
Why not 38 chips, one for each gameweek? That would require some real planning! And some real FISO debate on when to use this chip and when to use that chip and so on :lol:

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
Smurphy's Paw wrote:1. I am not sure that FPL can be held accountable for all seven of the premium picks coming up short this year in real terms. That one or two might have a bad year/injured/etc might be expected. Nobody saw Hazard failing to score by February.
Everyone? Without hindsight the prices were fair, Mahrez could have been 6.0 and Payet 8.0 but that's about it.

Rivers
Treebeard

Post by Rivers »

There are always players considered underpriced, some have been mentioned - Yaya... Fabregas was considered as such in August as well if I recall. I do not see how this is any different from previous seasons though.

The lack of points and injuries to premiums is unprecedented though as far as I'm aware. It's an exceptional circumstance that is unlikely to be replicated next year. I don't see why it should warrant a general increase in prices.

Never understood why there is a cap on rolled over transfers though... Surely it has benefits for both casuals and those that take the game more seriously

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

gallus wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
Everyone? Without hindsight the prices were fair, Mahrez could have been 6.0 and Payet 8.0 but that's about it.
Yes, everyone. A 10% increase to all starting prices under 9.0 and a 5% increase to prices above that might be a crude example but it's kind of what I mean. I am not talking about individual players but the level at which all prices were pitched.

For example, GK and Defender prices were all reduced this season. No GKs started above 5.5, no defenders started above 7.0. That compressed the price range downwards and ended up with many GKs and defenders being under-priced. I would rather see them back where they were but perhaps with a GK/Defender clean sheet given 5 points not 4.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

On unlimited rollovers, perhaps the Premier League prefer a transfer system which forces players to visit the site every week if they want to remain competitive. I agree that there are no downsides from a gameplay perspective, for serious and casual players alike.

Tom_Foolery
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Tom_Foolery »

Mav3rick wrote:
Tall Paul wrote:In what way has it been "dumbed down"?
Generally, changes have been to make it easier to keep up if you take your eye off the ball.

Vice captains, the winter wildcard, the flag systems, the second half of the season wildcard, the reduction in premium keeper prices, its all ways to keep more casual players interested (or at least not punished) for as long as possible.

The chips are a bit different because they can be used to a planners advantage, but they have a dual nature in that they artificially inflate the rank of casuals who blow them early, thus keeping them interested for longer.
Agreed, there are too many ways to get lucky at the moment. Somebody could do all the planning in the world to select a logical, statistically sound team, then get beaten by somebody else who forgot to change their captain that week.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
gallus wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
Yes, everyone. A 10% increase to all starting prices under 9.0 and a 5% increase to prices above that might be a crude example but it's kind of what I mean. I am not talking about individual players but the level at which all prices were pitched.

For example, GK and Defender prices were all reduced this season. No GKs started above 5.5, no defenders started above 7.0. That compressed the price range downwards and ended up with many GKs and defenders being under-priced. I would rather see them back where they were but perhaps with a GK/Defender clean sheet given 5 points not 4.
So you want all the teams to be weaker? Why? That will only lead to more weeks when every player you own blanks, and a fantasy sports game in which you get no points for several weeks is no fun at all. I'd actually like to see all the prices lowered so that we can afford the team we really want without "building value" for months first.

edit: and if you think defenders are underpriced then I expect you are playing 4-3-3, right?
Last edited by gallus on 29 Jan 2016, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Tom_Foolery wrote:Agreed, there are too many ways to get lucky at the moment. Somebody could do all the planning in the world to select a logical, statistically sound team, then get beaten by somebody else who forgot to change their captain that week.
Are you talking about Sharon? :lol:

Rivers
Treebeard

Post by Rivers »

They reduced the top range of the GK and Defenders but as far I can tell this only affected 4-5 players. I didn't see a great difference for prices to the rest of these positions.

Have to disagree on the GK reduction, I would not consider a GK at 6.0 and like many others usually look for cheap keepers. The change in reducing the gap between the cheap to top end keepers at least gave me pause for thought.... I just wish that thought hadn't ended up being Begovic when I wildcarded :roll:

That said, Unless there is a change to the points scoring I'd like the reduced ceiling for GKs to stay.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

gallus wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
gallus wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:

So you want all the teams to be weaker? Why? That will only lead to more weeks when every player you own blanks, and a fantasy sports game in which you get no points for several weeks is no fun at all. I'd actually like to see all the prices lowered so that we can afford the team we really want without "building value" for months first.

edit: and if you think defenders are underpriced then I expect you are playing 4-3-3, right?
Ruth_NZ is wrong at defenders' prices. Last season there were many nailed 4.0m defenders, this season there was practically none (Oxford and Targett were set to play just couple of matches).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”