To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Charlie Austin

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Charlie Austin

Post by MPTree »

Added at 7.0m. I can't see that there'll be much FPL interest for the time being, but he'll be interesting to keep an eye on.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Pub-standard footballer. Wouldn't touch him. :wink:

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

I was wondering how long that response would take :lol:

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Pirlo is being unfair - not like him to do that. :wink:

He may not be a great all-round footballer but what Austin is above all is a good finisher. And what Southampton have lacked above all is a good finisher. Think of the chances Pelle has wasted. They create enough and then Pelle puts it over the bar or into the GKs hands (also not entirely fair but you get my drift).

Southampton don't have great fixtures right now but I'd be quite surprised if Austin didn't figure in my team before the season ends. He's exactly the kind of player I'd want in a late-season DGW and at 7.0 his price would help with flexibility too.

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Ah, who could forget this gem from last season.

I have a lot of time for ol' Chuck. Fond memories of captaining his DGW haul.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

I would think he would be of interest to Ighalo and Vardy owners if the regression monster kicks in. Best to see if he settles. Its an interesting alternative price point for someone PL capable.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Do we think he'll be first choice to lead their line? He excelled for QPR last season, but from what I've seen hasn't really been pulling up any trees in the Championship this term...

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Notned wrote:Do we think he'll be first choice to lead their line? He excelled for QPR last season, but from what I've seen hasn't really been pulling up any trees in the Championship this term...
I haven't seen him in the Championship this season, but I think he will lead the line within a couple of GW's. Pellè is completely out of grace (did I say that correctly?) and seems to go back to Italy.
Besides that I don't think Long will be our long term striker. Excellent work rate, but just not good enough. Maybe Austin isn't too, but he is very more likely to score goals than Shane.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Notned wrote:Do we think he'll be first choice to lead their line? He excelled for QPR last season, but from what I've seen hasn't really been pulling up any trees in the Championship this term...
He's missed about a third of the season with injuries, but 10 goals in 16 games is pretty good going.

Hasn't played since 15th December, so it's a wait and see for me.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Yeah probably right Jocki. I have no great insight into Southampton, but I think his fair to say Pelle is a bit of a donkey who covers it up by going on little scoring sprees every now and then!
Tall Paul wrote:
He's missed about a third of the season with injuries, but 10 goals in 16 games is pretty good going.

Hasn't played since 15th December, so it's a wait and see for me.
Ah, ignore my mis-information everyone! That is decent going indeed, particularly in an injury disrupted season. Didn't realise that's how well he was doing due to lack of press coverage as much as anything, I guess. He's kind of gone under the radar a bit.

LAMPS27
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LAMPS27 »

Having dropped Igahlo it will take some form from Austin to dislodge Lukaku, Kane, Aguero from my team.

Wait and see camp for me.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

A clear wait and see in FPL terms, and even then he may still not dislodge any of my strikers. Think it's a great signing to Southampton though a big step up from the Dog and Duck's Sunday team.

payetme
FISOhead
FS Record: 4-1

Post by payetme »

I might get him for Ighalo in the upcoming weeks. Wait and see

Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blue Fire »

Possible Kane replacement in a few weeks. My low TV is killing me :(

DanKinnie
Treebeard

Post by DanKinnie »

Does Austin boost any of southampton's MID credentials? More goals = more assits? I havent been following them too closely

mmikkeelee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Mini league winner 2014\2015

Post by mmikkeelee »

Will he be on pens ?

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Guessing JWP will still be 1st choice pen taker

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

cesc408 wrote:Guessing JWP will still be 1st choice pen taker
You mean Tadic?

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

asm_fanz wrote:
cesc408 wrote:Guessing JWP will still be 1st choice pen taker
You mean Tadic?
Tadic is indeed first choice.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Yh my bad.
I think it all depends what minutes the likes of Tadic and JWP get tbh and who's on the field. It might turn out neither are come a penalty kick and Austin steps up

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

I actually thought I'd posted in this thread before yesterday but perhaps only in the new players thread. Anyway...

A poacher's goal return on his debut yesterday, and maximum bonus points from his 12 minutes on the pitch. I really think he could be a steal at 7.0 if he's first choice.

Double gameweek possibilities may drive my transfers over the next 10 days, but will be tempted by Ighalo -> Austin if he's in line for a start in the next PL game.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

Austin is certainly on my watchlist, Ighalo's days are probably numbered now, but would like to see a start or two first.

Dajiba
Kevin and Perry

Post by Dajiba »

Had him for a few weeks now with a plan to rotate with Capoue as my fifth midfielder. With City away and Chelsea at home in his next two, had planned to bench him in gw 9 and 10. Saints looked great today though, something like 24 shots on goal, he may actually get something from these games.

With the two games vs Inter and the league cup also in the mix could result in some squad rotation though. He was taken off early today, perhaps Puel needs him fresh. Will see how he does on Thursday

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

Bump!

Obviously he's provided great returns recently and looks the best pick of the budget strikers, but does anyone know how nailed he'll be over the busy period? Any chance Long makes it back into the XI? And if so, at whose expense?

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

I've been on him the last few weeks now. Seems 1st choice, and now on penalties as an added bonus.
Rotation wise I don't see it, Yet. There is always a chance he could be benched with games being played shortly Sat/Wed/Sat. Him and Redmond look pretty nailed, even with Long, Rodriguez and Boufal waiting in the shadows.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

I think its fair to say everyone is your team is at risk of rotation over Christmas, the only way is to safe guard and try to get playing bench fodder/enbalers to minimise the risk to your GW points total.

On Austin i was encouraged with Puel comments of himbeing vital in the PL as opposed to Europe, i would also say Austins natural game as a poacher is less physically taxing then some of the pacier forwards.

sjaugen
Treebeard

Post by sjaugen »

Still not too late to get your Austins in. Crazy high involvement in the Soton goals, on top of form, stats, pens

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

The Username wrote: On Austin i was encouraged with Puel comments of himbeing vital in the PL as opposed to Europe...
That's certainly good to know - I missed that quote. He looks like rising tonight and I'm considering bringing him in for Deeney. A somewhat frivolous transfer as it would essentially be a -4, but I put off brining him in a few weeks back and think that now is probably the right time.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

MPTree wrote:
The Username wrote: On Austin i was encouraged with Puel comments of himbeing vital in the PL as opposed to Europe...
That's certainly good to know - I missed that quote. He looks like rising tonight and I'm considering bringing him in for Deeney. A somewhat frivolous transfer as it would essentially be a -4, but I put off brining him in a few weeks back and think that now is probably the right time.
He mentioned in around mid Oct mate, when the europa games were coming thick and fast, i brought him in myself as a result.

I dont know if many saw the game at the weekend but just another nugget, Southampton started a young guy called Sims (winger), he got the assist for Austin goal, the lad looked a good player has an England underage pedigree and is 4.5mill, one worth monitoring.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Charlie Austin

Post by Joccki_10 »

The Username wrote:
MPTree wrote:
He mentioned in around mid Oct mate, when the europa games were coming thick and fast, i brought him in myself as a result.

I dont know if many saw the game at the weekend but just another nugget, Southampton started a young guy called Sims (winger), he got the assist for Austin goal, the lad looked a good player has an England underage pedigree and is 4.5mill, one worth monitoring.
Definitely worth monitoring but as a Saints fan I can't see him getting starts regularly. Boufal and Davis were ill, Tadic was out injured. I still don't know why Puel doesn't really fancy Rodriguez.

Sims' debut actually reminded me of Harrison Reed playing a great game during the 3-0 victory against Everton back in 2014 in one of his first matches for Southampton. I know he plays in a different position an at the time Koeman was manager, but he still hasn't really broken through. You can't even say that about JWP looking at his PL minutes this and the last two seasons.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”