To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Wijnaldum

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Vincent Black Shadow
Red & Blue Braces

Wijnaldum

Post by Vincent Black Shadow »

Seems to be the form player at the moment, certainly in midfield. Decent fixture coming up next for him

Are people shifting things around for him?

Considering swapping him for Mahrez, who has missed his second penalty in three games

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Re: Wijnaldum

Post by Sammy the Crab »

A couple of tough away games coming up. A no from me.

mmikkeelee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Mini league winner 2014\2015

Post by mmikkeelee »

For the last few GWs ive been thinking of changing him for mahrez wished I had now..

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

He's been so much more dangerous since he's been moved to the hole - previously he was on the left with Perez(/De Jong) central. Still not sure he's got enough to warrant consideration. I'd agree with Sammy though, too tough games coming up and every single one of his goals has come at home. Don't be too swayed by our previous two displays - on the road we are trash.

Paul_Football
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Paul_Football »

I'd have to replace Mahrez or Alli. so I'll be passing.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Paul_Football wrote:I'd have to replace Mahrez or Alli. so I'll be passing.
I was so, so close to switching Mahrez for Wijnaldum tonight before the price rise. But I want some more time to think. Payet has a tough fixture next week but good ones after that. Maybe I should wait a week and then go that way. Barkley played well today and has 2 great home fixtures upcoming. He's an option too. I also need to have another look at the DGW possibilities (although nothing is going to be clear till the FA Cup 4th round is played as far as I can see).

Earlier in the season I jumped on price rises for players I liked as a matter of strategy. But now I'm playing for points and no hits. So I'm having to restrain myself. :wink:

What is pretty sure is that Mahrez is on his way out of my team. He and Leicester are running out of steam.

Paul_Football
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Paul_Football »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
I was so, so close to switching Mahrez for Wijnaldum tonight before the price rise. But I want some more time to think. Payet has a tough fixture next week but good ones after that. Maybe I should wait a week and then go that way. Barkley played well today and has 2 great home fixtures upcoming. He's an option too. I also need to have another look at the DGW possibilities (although nothing is going to be clear till the FA Cup 4th round is played as far as I can see).

Earlier in the season I jumped on price rises for players I liked as a matter of strategy. But now I'm playing for points and no hits. So I'm having to restrain myself. :wink:

What is pretty sure is that Mahrez is on his way out of my team. He and Leicester are running out of steam.
Would have been a nice decision; Bank the points AND ride his rise before the FFS herd turns up :wink:
I definitely think Wij will benefit from having Shelvey play behind him who's got a decent eye for a pass and fixtures look alright too.

Barkley seems a bit of a flat track bully to me. He got some big scores this season that place him high up on the total score sheet but those have come against teams going through a difficult period and his upcoming opponents have recently tightened up so I can't imagine many big returns from him. 0 goals, 3 assists in his last 9. Haven't checked his metrics on squawka though which might show great underlying stats and there's also the DGW potential. Did look good in the first half today and hit the post but I'm wondering if Everton's lack of squad depth is really starting to affect him and Lukaku.

Payet has some great fixtures after MCI. If anything is going to tempt me to drop Mahrez it would be Payet until GW 28 where I really don't like WHU's fixtures. Tadic or Ayew could be decent replacements for GW 28-35 with big differential.

Mahrez and Vardy are another duo that look knackered and couldn't be arsed today. The full press ranieri has them playing does take it's toll on the body after a while. Every team has a blip for a few games but they are still top of the table. It's entirely possible Mahrez is distracted by the headlines and the transfer window. Maybe his agent trying to arrange a huge deal with Real Madrid during this window before their transfer ban takes effect and he's going there in the summer. His form has dropped there's no doubt about that but it'll pick up eventually and if it happens sooner rather than later with over 60% ownership it could seriously hurt.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Paul_Football wrote:I definitely think Wijnaldum will benefit from having Shelvey play behind him who's got a decent eye for a pass and fixtures look alright too.
I think so too. And he has had very good numbers for quite a while. His numbers over the last 2 weeks are as good as Payet's by the way. And he has early DGW potential but that's one thing that puts me off actually. Part of handing a DGW in GW25 or 26 is the problem of the same players having a blank in GW27. Which means a limit of 5 or 6 players really (unless you take hits to remove some, which kind of ruins the effect).
Paul_Football wrote:Barkley seems a bit of a flat track bully to me. He got some big scores this season that place him high up on the total score sheet but those have come against teams going through a difficult period and his upcoming opponents have recently tightened up so I can't imagine many big returns from him. 0 goals, 3 assists in his last 9. Haven't checked his metrics on squawka though which might show great underlying stats and there's also the DGW potential. Did look good in the first half today and hit the post but I'm wondering if Everton's lack of squad depth is really starting to affect him and Lukaku.
I was at the game and was impressed, big boy with a very powerful physique and playing for a talented team. Everton's next 4 games look very attractive too (SWA NEW sto WBA). But I don't think Everton lack depth really apart from maybe the striker position. They have no European football after all.
Paul_Football wrote:Payet has some great fixtures after MCI. If anything is going to tempt me to drop Mahrez it would be Payet until GW 28 where I really don't like WHU's fixtures. Tadic or Ayew could be decent replacements for GW 28-35 with big differential.
I will wildcard in GW32 so don't need to look beyond. As you say there would be plenty of options around GW28/29 to replace Payet should I want to do that - Arnautovic/Shaquiri being another one.
Paul_Football wrote:Mahrez and Vardy are another duo that look knackered and couldn't be arsed today. The full press Ranieri has them playing does take it's toll on the body after a while. Every team has a blip for a few games but they are still top of the table. It's entirely possible Mahrez is distracted by the headlines and the transfer window. Maybe his agent trying to arrange a huge deal with Real Madrid during this window before their transfer ban takes effect and he's going there in the summer. His form has dropped there's no doubt about that but it'll pick up eventually and if it happens sooner rather than later with over 60% ownership it could seriously hurt.
I'm really not concerned and he is on his way unless I decide to save FT and bench him this week (I can take a price drop at no cost). There's surely a strong likelihood that he's off penalties now having missed 2 in a row. In which case Vardy probably becomes the Leicester player I'd want (if any).

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Ruth_NZ wrote:

I think I'm giving Mahrez one last chance at home to Stoke, and then maybe looking to move him on if he flatters to deceive again. I've had a good think about potential replacements, and I think Barkley is first choice now for me too, as it stands. Particularly with his strong fixture run and a potential DGW on the horizon.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

The thing that puts me off about Wijnaldum is that he hasn't scored away from home yet and he 3 away games in the next 4. Whilst I am not convinced about home and away effects for individual players, it certainly does apply to certain teams. Newcastle have scored 19 goals at home and 5 away all season.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

Stemania wrote:He's been so much more dangerous since he's been moved to the hole - previously he was on the left with Perez(/De Jong) central. Still not sure he's got enough to warrant consideration. I'd agree with Sammy though, too tough games coming up and every single one of his goals has come at home. Don't be too swayed by our previous two displays - on the road we are trash.
Do you think the addition of shelvey could start to turn your away form?

Currently considering Arnautovic :arrow: Wijnaldum, depends on how arnautovic scores tonight

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Honestly, hard to say. Wijnaldum is probably our best player and has a pretty high chance of being involved in our goals especally now he's moved central.

With the next 5 away games being Watford, Everton, Stoke, Chelsea, Leicester I'm not too hopeful though, but you never know with Newcastle - we often play much better in the tougher games.

(My arse is now riddled with fence splinters)

pdhmobile
Red & Blue Braces

Post by pdhmobile »

LamebrainEddy wrote:
Stemania wrote:He's been so much more dangerous since he's been moved to the hole - previously he was on the left with Perez(/De Jong) central. Still not sure he's got enough to warrant consideration. I'd agree with Sammy though, too tough games coming up and every single one of his goals has come at home. Don't be too swayed by our previous two displays - on the road we are trash.

Currently considering Arnautovic :arrow: Wijnaldum, depends on how arnautovic scores tonight
I am also considering the same move, Wijnaldum looked so involved in the last game, central to everything and always in box. I think i am talking my way into the move. |fixtures arent great though, Arountovic has a good fixture next!

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

pdhmobile wrote:
LamebrainEddy wrote:

I am also considering the same move, Wijnaldum looked so involved in the last game, central to everything and always in box. I think i am talking my way into the move. |fixtures arent great though, Arountovic has a good fixture next!
Made the switch, gut feeling. I think Newcastle might not be winning games but I do think they'll be scoring a lot more goals and Wijnaldum is central to that. A lot of people are going to move for Wijnaldum and can't afford to lose points by not joining the wagon.

Is Leicester away such a good fixture? They seem to have traded attacking flair for defensive stability. Low scoring draw or 1-0 win on the cards I reckon

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:The thing that puts me off about Wijnaldum is that he hasn't scored away from home yet and he 3 away games in the next 4. Whilst I am not convinced about home and away effects for individual players, it certainly does apply to certain teams. Newcastle have scored 19 goals at home and 5 away all season.
Yep. I just made my decision and passed on Wijnaldum for this very reason (though I was mightily tempted). And it does affect players as well as teams. Apart from anything else there are around 2.9 home goals scored to every 2.1 away goals statistically. Aguero has 6 or 7 home hat-tricks for City but has never scored one away from home. And so on.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Ruth_NZ wrote:Apart from anything else there are around 2.9 home goals scored to every 2.1 away goals statistically. Aguero has 6 or 7 home hat-tricks for City but has never scored one away from home. And so on.
Out of interest, do you happen to have access to any updated figures for the season about what was previously an unusually high ratio of away wins compared to normal. Are we back nearer what we should expect yet? I remember you quoted them a while back when the situation was a bit odd.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Stemania wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:Apart from anything else there are around 2.9 home goals scored to every 2.1 away goals statistically. Aguero has 6 or 7 home hat-tricks for City but has never scored one away from home. And so on.
Out of interest, do you happen to have access to any updated figures for the season about what was previously an unusually high ratio of away wins compared to normal. Are we back nearer what we should expect yet? I remember you quoted them a while back when the situation was a bit odd.
Just done a quick calc comparing this year and last year (done on back of envelope so might not be 100% accurate). Last season 45% (H); 25% (D); 30% (A). This season to date - 40% (H); 29% (D); 32% (A). No idea how typical last season was but the main thing is probably a big increase in the number of draws with a smaller increase in the number of away wins. At the current rate that means over 20 less home wins for all sides over the course of the season.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Wijnaldum is a wait and see for me at the moment. Newcastle are looking much better generally of late and I really like him as a player, but with two tough away games to come it remains to be seen if it's a Geordie false dawn or not. I'll be keeping an eye on how he does in those though, as he looks an intriguing potential replacement for Mahrez/Arnautovic, particularly if he ends up having a DGW. I'll probably add him to my watchlist for that slot, along with Barkley and Firmino.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Notned wrote:Wijnaldum is a wait and see for me at the moment. Newcastle are looking much better generally of late and I really like him as a player, but with two tough away games to come it remains to be seen if it's a Geordie false dawn or not. I'll be keeping an eye on how he does in those though, as he looks an intriguing potential replacement for Mahrez/Arnautovic, particularly if he ends up having a DGW. I'll probably add him to my watchlist for that slot, along with Barkley and Firmino.
Maybe add Henderson to the watchlist too. :wink:

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
Notned wrote:Wijnaldum is a wait and see for me at the moment. Newcastle are looking much better generally of late and I really like him as a player, but with two tough away games to come it remains to be seen if it's a Geordie false dawn or not. I'll be keeping an eye on how he does in those though, as he looks an intriguing potential replacement for Mahrez/Arnautovic, particularly if he ends up having a DGW. I'll probably add him to my watchlist for that slot, along with Barkley and Firmino.
I forgot to mention Henderson! Nearly put him in a weeks ago but was put off by his fitness issues. Potential bargain with the monopoly on set pieces, and seems to be playing quite advanced under Klopp.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Ruth_NZ wrote: I was at the game and was impressed, big boy with a very powerful physique and playing for a talented team. Everton's next 4 games look very attractive too (SWA NEW sto WBA). But I don't think Everton lack depth really apart from maybe the striker position. They have no European football after all.
Was also at the game and Barkley was how he usually is - physical and positive. Putting himself about in the middle of the park and giving Everton a basis to build their attacks. However, from an FPL point of view, to me he doesn't appear to get into the box enough, or have enough touches of the ball in dangerous areas.

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Notned wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:
I forgot to mention Henderson! Nearly put him in a weeks ago but was put off by his fitness issues. Potential bargain with the monopoly on set pieces, and seems to be playing quite advanced under Klopp.
Henderson is a very poor choice atm. A mediocre player, concentrating on his leadership roles and in all his career no more than a couple 2-3 GWs of successful consecutive game play. Considering players like Gosling and Drinkwater have been far better VFM and that Klopp is still experimenting, Henderson isn't even on the watchlist. Avoid!

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Ironfist wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:Maybe add Henderson to the watchlist too. :wink:
Henderson is a very poor choice atm. A mediocre player, concentrating on his leadership roles and in all his career no more than a couple 2-3 GWs of successful consecutive game play. Considering players like Gosling and Drinkwater have been far better VFM and that Klopp is still experimenting, Henderson isn't even on the watchlist. Avoid!
Thanks for expressing your opinion so categorically. :mrgreen:

Seeing that Henderson has been injured for 15 out of 22 games it would be hard for him to be competing on value with anyone.

Last season he amassed 162 points (6 goals, 10 assists). That's a pretty good track record for a player currently priced at 6.5m and who is now Liverpool's 1st choice penalty taker. So he'll be staying on my watchlist I'm afraid.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Wijnaldum has crept up to the top of some of the analytics that I follow, and is now actually the highest rated midfielder for expected goals over the season so far. His recent stats are really good and he's not that widely owned still with 5 other midfielders above him in transfers in this GW.

With a guaranteed game in GW30, and a DGW due at some stage plus a nice mini-run of games after the blank, I'm certainly considering him as a KDB replacement. I suspect that if the DGW happens to be confirmed in GW25, then he will be my primary target.

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

If he continues to play in the no10 role which he should do with the arrival of Townsend, i'm very interested. An arrival of another striker (hopefully one to run in behind to benefit from Mitrovic's hold up play) will only benefit Wijnaldum playing behind.

As previously mentioned, a game in GW30 and a DGW to come he's certainally worth keeping an eye on. I think i'm sold on KDB to Silva, but could afford to do Mahrez to Wijnaldum which i'd be comfortable doing.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”