To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The 'FFS herd' and price changes

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Notned
FISO Knight

Re: The 'FFS herd' and price changes

Post by Notned »

I've stayed well away from this thread up until now, as I didn't/don't really have an opinion either way. Having spent quite a bit of time this evening scrolling through the FFS comments though, I'm starting to see where Ruth is coming from. The amount of knee-jerking and impatience on there given the 10 days to come before GW24 is astounding.

Whether the proportion of overall players who view that is significant enough to drive price changes in itself is debatable, but it must have some impact. It doesn't particularly bother me, as it's just the nature of the beast, but I can certainly appreciate the argument.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I don't think anyone is making a case that the FFS comments system isn't a horrendous panicky reactive car crash. :)

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Stemania wrote:I don't think anyone is making a case that the FFS comments system isn't a horrendous panicky reactive car crash. :)
Indeed. And very nicely summarised by you, too :lol:

Triggy
Treebeard

Post by Triggy »

Stemania wrote:I don't think anyone is making a case that the FFS comments system isn't a horrendous panicky reactive car crash. :)
At first I thought you were just referring to the message system (not the contents of the messages) as the one absolute biggest negative of their site is that their comments don't form a "proper" forum/board and this is what makes FISO a very good site from a technical point of view. It's not rocket science and I know FFS want to change this for next season but it really puts me off posting as it's so easy for your comment to be lost (i.e. it will never be responded to if it hasn't already after five minutes!!!)

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Triggy wrote:
At first I thought you were just referring to the message system (not the contents of the messages) as the one absolute biggest negative of their site is that their comments don't form a "proper" forum/board and this is what makes FISO a very good site from a technical point of view. It's not rocket science and I know FFS want to change this for next season but it really puts me off posting as it's so easy for your comment to be lost (i.e. it will never be responded to if it hasn't already after five minutes!!!)
I'm completely with you - the format is appalling. I don't particularly like either the format or the general content of the comments system tbh, though the quality of the content probably follows pretty directly from the format - it does produce a few hidden gems though via hot topics etc and a fair few very good individuals commenters there.

Their comments issues are kindof to be expected tbh, as FFS started life as a regular bloglike article making website (where you could leave a comment below each article). As they've grown and added features they haven't ever really fully sorted out the comments format - they're still at a halfway house between being a FPL discussion website and an article producing blog and the way it's set up atm the latter is still being prioritised.

It's a shame really as the site itself (outside the comments system) is imo really impressively well run and by a great bunch of people (a fair few of them very knowledgeable). They do everything in good faith, the features they have are extensive and really useful, and also have OPTA stats available, which is a big bonus.

I'm not sure it would work so well with a forum tbh - it's main purpose at the end of the day is still as an article producing machine and I wonder if there's too many people to make a forum work. It would probably be bad news for FISO if they did shift their focus and integrate a forum as that's sort of our niche atm. If they added a forum and integrated a price change predictor website (say, they joined forces with FPLS or FFFIX as they have done with other useful features like the RMT Tool and the HOF in the past) then there'd be little need to travel elsewhere, say for the need to talk somewhere a bit quieter with fewer posters. Add FPLDiscovery's tools to their repertoire too and they'd have it all. :shock:

Triggy
Treebeard

Post by Triggy »

I think you're right and that's good news for the FISO FPL forum as it has a different community with a slightly different style and I love picking up and interacting with a different crowd here to the FFS site where as you say, you're mainly there for the articles, tools, odd hot topic and feeling the FPL "pulse" by seeing any latest comments. I have to say I particularly love the podcasts. If they did create a forum, you would always have the online battle of quality vs quantity (on FISO there is a high quality and bluntly less content but that is still fine) and I think this forum would still retain its place as I value many of the posters' here's opinions over the "herd" mentality you can see with large numbers of people saying the same thing largely because anyone saying something different is liable to be shot down in short order.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”