To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Game Week 20 Captain

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

GW 20 captain

Mesut Ozil (NEW)
55%
Riyad Mahrez (BOU)
22%
Sergio Aguero (wat)
10%
Romelu Lukaku (TOT)
1%
Harry Kane (eve)
2%
Olivier Giroud (NEW)
5%
Jamie Vardy (BOU)
2%
Theo Walcott (NEW)
2%
Marko Arnautovic (wba)
No votes
Christian Benteke (whu)
1%
Philippe Coutinho (whU)
No votes
Aaron Ramsey (NEW)
No votes
Shane Long (nor)
1%
Odion Ighalo (MCI)
No votes
Anthony Martial (SWA)
No votes
Eden Hazard (cpl)
No votes
Diego Costa (cpl)
No votes
Bojan (wba)
No votes
Yaya Toure (wat)
No votes

Total votes: 148

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: Game Week 20 Captain

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:Too reliant on 2 players for it to sustain.
They certainly need Mahrez and Vardy on top form if they are to keep this run going, and I suppose that's what you mean here. I feel it somewhat overlooks the important contributions of Drinkwater and Kanté in midfield, the attacking threat of Albrighton and Fuchs down the left, and the impressive defensive qualities of Schmeichel, Morgan and Huth.
Kante is a very willing runner with some quality. He'd do well in many teams, Arsenal could do with him in fact. So no argument there, although players like that don't win games for you very often.

Schmeichel is a decent GK but just normal PL standard. Huth and Morgan are big, slow lumps, Huth couldn't make the first XI at Stoke and Morgan is basically a Championship level defender. Leicester's 25 goals conceded is the worst in the top half of the table and only 7 teams have conceded more. The reason Leicester are where they are isn't their defence and it isn't their DMs. It's Mahrez and Vardy. Which takes us back to my original appraisal.
Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:Mahrez is very good but won't be able to carry them alone.
Mahrez is better than very good. He's brilliant.
We'll see. Pearson didn't think so, Ranieri does. I think the truth is somewhere between the two.
Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:It's a slow-motion meltdown and they'll finish 7th or 8th.
It may well be, but I see no evidence of it having already begun. Maybe if they lose at home to Bournemouth though! :D
The evidence is: Vardy - 1 goal in 5 games. Mahrez - 2 blanks in succession for the first time this season and Ranieri making noises about fatigue.

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

RidleyMTB wrote:I got distracted during Ranieri's post match interview after the Man City game but I thought he said that he wouldn't rest players from the starting line-up but if they looked tired, he would give them 60 mins then take them off?

If so, did Mahrez look tired against Man City? This would have an impact on whether I choose him as capt.
Not tired but had a lot of tactical duties. He tracked back a lot and had to give up the wing to Kolarov. He's a class player who deserves whatever insane fee some big club inevitable throws in for him.

As for captain, I'm still undecided over Mahrez, Ozil, Giroud, and Kane.

Kylo Ren
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kylo Ren »

Vardy and Mahrez have slowed down goals/stats wise in the last few games because they have had as tough a run as you could expect, United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton (all teams above their real level) if you expected them to maintain their high level of shots in the box and goals then your understanding of football is stat based and not reality based.

They were not going to bulldoze their way through those fixtures but still scored points which is a big plus in their potential going forward, incidentally, Leicester held their own in those games and are still there which again speaks volumes going forward, in a period where all teams played 3 games in a week, fatigue is not exclusive to Vardy and Mahrez, shall we take Ozil out because he's played a lot of games and looked tired this week?

In their next few they are back to the 'lesser' teams like Bournemouth, Villa and Stoke (who give up a lot of shots) if they fail in those (or their stats dont revert to being strong like in the first part of the season against lesser teams) then you would be right to say they are in decline/tired/finished but anything else is just bending stats in to fit an argument without appreciating what's happening in the real world and not on the stats charts.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Kylo Ren wrote:Vardy and Mahrez have slowed down goals/stats wise in the last few games because they have had as tough a run as you could expect, United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton (all teams above their real level) if you expected them to maintain their high level of shots in the box and goals then your understanding of football is stat based and not reality based.

They were not going to bulldoze their way through those fixtures but still scored points which is a big plus in their potential going forward, incidentally, Leicester held their own in those games and are still there which again speaks volumes going forward, in a period where all teams played 3 games in a week, fatigue is not exclusive to Vardy and Mahrez, shall we take Ozil out because he's played a lot of games and looked tired this week?

In their next few they are back to the 'lesser' teams like Bournemouth, Villa and Stoke (who give up a lot of shots) if they fail in those (or their stats dont revert to being strong like in the first part of the season against lesser teams) then you would be right to say they are in decline/tired/finished but anything else is just bending stats in to fit an argument without appreciating what's happening in the real world and not on the stats charts.
I beg to differ. I am exactly talking about what is going on in the real world. The problem is that some of you guys are too precious about how stats may be used.

Vardy is a player with a lot of pace and energy and an average amount of talent. He's not as good as most FPL managers seem to think. It is quite possible for a player like that to have a supreme run ("purple patch") when their confidence goes sky-high and they feel they cannot fail. That is what has happened to Vardy. As I mentioned once before, the holder of the PL consecutive scoring record before Nistelrooy was Mark Stein of Chelsea, a very average player by PL standards. Few remember him now (other than Chelsea fans) and few (other than Leicester fans) will remember Vardy in 20 years' time.

So, my real world reading is that Vardy won't keep it up or anything like it. The only place my quoting of the "1 goal in 5 games" stat comes in is as an indication that his reversion to a normal (for him) level of performance has already begun. Ranieri's mentioning of "fatigue" regarding Mahrez and Vardy is a clear attempt to take the pressure off them, they haven't played that many games (Vardy 20 games this season compared to KDB 24, Özil 25 and Kane 25 for example). If Vardy and Mahrez are fatigued it is mentally, as a result of carrying a team above it's true level. They won't be able to keep it up.

That's my real world appraisal. The same one I started with. The use of stats is only as an indicator that the inevitable reversion has already begun.

Kylo Ren
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kylo Ren »

I'm not a fan of stats and don't make moves led by them so I'm not one that is obsessed by them but your comment just stood out as one that was selectively trying to bend some to suit their argument.

Vardy may be in a 'purple patch' as you say but he's not alien to being involved in goal action, when they got promoted he scored a fair few goals and while he may not have scored as frequently as this season (last season) he got 5 goals and 12 assists which tells you that he was involved in 17 of their goals, that shows that this is not such a purple patch as you would suggest as he's been highly involved, I'm pretty certain his role last year was more on the flank as opposed to being through the middle but I'm sure someone will clear that up.

You did make a good point (re Mahrez) in that the previous manager didn't fancy him but maybe Ranieri has identified both for the talent that they are and fine tuned their roles which is bring more productive results.

To dismiss them based on slowed down stats in a period of games where many expected them to crumble really is throwaway theory that shouldn't be taken seriously, for anyone having any doubts about them they will get the opportunity to see how much of a purple patch it has been in the next four games, if they slow down than you have a point, if they pick up you have been wrong, what's more concerning is when you see players like Silva and Giroud doing very little in 'easy' fixtures not when you see Mahrez and Vardy playing and not dominating against superior teams to them.

The fatigue comments is clearly to take the pressure of them for that run of games that no one expected them to do anything in, it is good management as its shielding them from failure in games they were expected to fail in, I'm guessing such fatigue will go out of the window when Bournemouth roll into town.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Aguero did well against a weaker Watford team years ago and blanked against the current, better one. This is definitely worth mentioning. Another common occurence in psychology is that people tend to remember the most recent event. If Aguero is a positive thinker he may choose to ignore the blank and use the previous match as motivation. The fact that the Watford team he will play this weekend being a lot better, may be more prevalent in his mind. The negative aspect of the blank might offset the positive feeling from the hat-trick, particularly if you consider the run of injuries and near constant process of returning to full match fitness hampering his form. If he was 100% I doubt he would care who he was playing against. He could also be looking at how Costa managed to score twice in the previous GW.

I've held off on bringing Aguero in since his return from the first injury and wouldn't have him let alone captain him this week. Of course this season is unpredictable as hell and he could leave me red faced anyway.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

I don't see why we have to enter into such prolonged bouts of arguments each time someone has a viewpoint which differs from the rest. It's only a game at the end of the day, and where would we be without the freedom to have our own opinions (North Korea?)?!

There are only two things for sure on this debate;

1) Mahrez and Vardy have excelled generally so far.
2) Nobody can predict the future, and thus we have no idea how they will do from here on in.

Point 2 is where you seem to defer, and Ruth's posts are no more a less a valid opinion then your guys' posts to the contrary. In fairness, having just scan read them again, he isn't drawing any 'conclusions' as is being suggested. Merely stating what he thinks may happen based on the last few games. I see no problem in this.

Kylo Ren
Kevin and Perry

Post by Kylo Ren »

Sorry Notned, I'm new around here but isn't that how message boards tend to work?

Someone posts a comment, someone else replies, then another, North Korea you say.

I do apologise, my captain is Ozil, just because.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

I am so envious of people with the conviction to make posts like this without expressing any kind of doubt or adding any kind of disclaimer:

---
[Captain] (c)
[Vice-captain] (v)
---

No mucking about - these guys really have their shit together. I bet they have really hot partners and are excellent in bed too. Damn you all.

I'll captain probably one of Ozil, Mahrez, or Giroud and vice-captain one of the others. Don't really know what's for the best.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Kylo Ren wrote:Sorry Notned, I'm new around here but isn't that how message boards tend to work?

Someone posts a comment, someone else replies, then another, North Korea you say.

I do apologise, my captain is Ozil, just because.

No worries mate, you are indeed right. There is nothing wrong with presenting alternating opinions, that's what it's all about! For what it's worth, I sit somewhere between the two arguments. So much so I'm almost getting splinters :lol:

I just think that sometimes there isn't any need for certain posters to aggressively argue any point they don't agree with, which at times can dismiss other views out of hand, and sometimes even border on personal. That was the main thing I was getting at, and wasn't in any way aimed at you btw.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Oh, and back on the case in point, rather than me possibly contributing to the thing I'm moaning about :lol:;

Mahrez (C)
Kane (VC)

I think I'm pretty set on that, depending on anything interesting coming out of the press conferences.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Very tempted by Mahrez, but a close thing between him and Ozil, Leicseter have had less recovery time then Arsenal and have looked a little bit tired lately.
Last edited by The Username on 31 Dec 2015, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

I reckon a run like Leicester's could leave them mentally drained/centrally fatigued at some point. It's just figuring out when. I'm wondering which Newcastle will turn up against Arsenal. I kinda want to take another shot at Captain Giroud but I am currently on Kane.

Dick Pound
Wideboy
FS Record: Top Top

Post by Dick Pound »

Dragon!Mullet wrote:He's got eyes like pancakes and he's going to be my captain. Period.
Gotta be Ozil, the Bug Eyed Monster.

bcfc1903
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: william hill champion 2010, 2012. all-inclusive league winner 2012, second x-league 2012.

Post by bcfc1903 »

Ozil. No if's no buts.

Prolonged and interesting debate above about Leicester, Vardy and Mahrez!!!

Strong will of opinion, where fact, stats and manipulation have led to Mahrez (vc).

KarlPilkington
Kevin and Perry

Post by KarlPilkington »

In this apperent recent tough fixture list that leicester have had (Man Utd, Swansea, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man City) Mahrez has got 6 goals and 1 assist averaging 9.33 points per game

In the previous 6 games he played (Arsenal, Southampton, Palace, WBA, Watford, Newcastle) Mahrez got 2 goals and 3 assists averaging 6.33 points per game.

Yep hes really started slowing down recently hasnt he ;)

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

KarlPilkington wrote:In this apperent recent tough fixture list that leicester have had (Man Utd, Swansea, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man City) Mahrez has got 6 goals and 1 assist averaging 9.33 points per game

In the previous 6 games he played (Arsenal, Southampton, Palace, WBA, Watford, Newcastle) Mahrez got 2 goals and 3 assists averaging 6.33 points per game.

Yep hes really started slowing down recently hasnt he ;)
Personally I'd have liked him to slow down against Chelsea, that's for sure. :)

FinnFPL
Wideboy

Post by FinnFPL »

Currently on Mahrez(C) and Özil(VC) but very likely to switch them, a real headache this.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Say whatever you want, it's a coin toss between Ozil and Mahrez.
Leicester hasn't been brilliant lately but their run was Everton (A), Liverpool (A), Man. City (H). Now it's Bournemouth (H) so I'd expect a couple of goals.
Arsenal, on the other hand, is playing a Newcastle that improved much defensively since their shaming to Palace in GW 14, conceding only 4 in the last 5.
And if Leicester is looking weary, what about Arsenal with their 4-0 defeat and crippled midfield?
I don't know who I'm picking yet.

mitchyg1980
FISOhead

Post by mitchyg1980 »

Not having Ozil, means I've currently got the armband on Mahrez

I'd not yet consider Aguero as he doesn't seem match fit - probably evident given his 60ish minute appearances, but also I'm slightly worried about Aguero. I watched the Leicester game and their defence seem happier to let the ball go to Sterling and mark Aguero more tightly, which for me is a sensible decision given the difference in finishing quality between the two

Les_Gomiserables
Treebeard

Post by Les_Gomiserables »

Worried about Giroud/Ozil being rotated.

Based on that I think I may go Mahrez.

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Les_Gomiserables wrote:Worried about Giroud/Ozil being rotated.

Based on that I think I may go Mahrez.
I really don't see Ozil or Giroud being rotated considering the injuries Arsenal have. Even if Wenger had a full squad available, I still think Ozil would maintain his place considering his form.

Wenger on Ozil - "I also believe he has grown in stature and takes responsibilities, leadership in the team and on that front he has improved tremendously and looks determined to lead the team compared to when he arrived"

Ozil (c) for me despite being a Newcastle fan.

mmikkeelee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Mini league winner 2014\2015

Post by mmikkeelee »

Cant see ozil or giroud being rotated at all with the title being in arsenals sights

FA cup games is were the rotation will start

With ozil and mahrez being so popular choices is making me think
Aguero (c)
A great differential

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

mmikkeelee wrote:Cant see ozil or giroud being rotated at all with the title being in arsenals sights

Aguero (c)
A great differential
Aguero might not start. You have been warned.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

No chance of Ozil being rotated.
Wenger will priorities the league. Next week is FA cup and that will come the resting of players if it's needed

mmikkeelee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Mini league winner 2014\2015

Post by mmikkeelee »

gallus wrote:
mmikkeelee wrote:Cant see ozil or giroud being rotated at all with the title being in arsenals sights

Aguero (c)
A great differential
What is your thinking behind this if you don't mind me asking ?
Fitness ?
Watford away is a tricky game

fusen
Cheetah

Post by fusen »

It's been a season of playing the safe/dull option otherwise you get left behind.

Has to be Ozil unfortunately.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

mmikkeelee wrote:
gallus wrote:

Aguero (c)
A great differential
What is your thinking behind this if you don't mind me asking ?
Fitness ?
Watford away is a tricky game
He will start. Pellegrini stated the other day he would continue to build up his fitness by giving him at least 60-65 minutes each week. It's unlikely he'll start on the bench and come on after 25 mins, so if he's fit and the manager keeps his word I think we're pretty safe. Whether or not that is enough time to render him a good captaincy pick I'm not so sure, but it could be a very shrewd move.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Giroud and Ozil are developing into quite a partnership. A little too good to be broken up I reckon. Gonna take another shot at captaining Giroud.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

math! wrote:Giroud and Ozil are developing into quite a partnership. A little too good to be broken up I reckon. Gonna take another shot at captaining Giroud.
Tempted by this too

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”