To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The second wildcard is coming! (Double Gameweek Planning)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: The second wildcard is coming! (Double Gameweek Planning)

Post by Ruth_NZ »

:arrow:
Last edited by Ruth_NZ on 03 Feb 2016, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

Triggy
Treebeard

Post by Triggy »

They change the time of day for the deadline if there is an early Saturday kickoff therefore changing the date to become the Friday evening instead is only a little further to move the deadline. No other fixtures are involved and I can't see why they wouldn't still keep a Friday fixture in the same week it was originally scheduled for.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

There's already been one Friday night game this season and the FPL gameweek started an hour before kickoff of that game.

I believe it's going to be a regular thing next season.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Ruth_NZ wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:In terms of the calendar, is this year different from any other year? Are there any special reasons to expect more DGWs than last year or the year before? Is it the permutations from the FA Cup draw that is causing problems?
Yes, it is somewhat different, for a number of reasons...

First is the Euro Championships, which begin on 10th June. This creates a fixed end date for the PL season. The FA Cup Final is having to be played on the 21st May (last season it was the 30th) because of this and the PL must complete no later than 15th May.

Second is that the slots allotted for international breaks have been increasing on a regular basis and are now at a level that severely affects national fixture schedules. This affects England more than most countries because we have a 20-team league (most have 18) and 2 domestic cups (most have 1) with replays being used in the FA Cup (most use penalties).

Third is that the CL and EL have also been growing (though they are the same this season as last) and it has now become a condition of participation that PL games may not be re-scheduled to clash with any CL or EL fixture (previously the FA have got away with doing this).

Fourth is that the resulting fixture compression has meant that this season's FA Cup Quarter Finals are scheduled to clash with a 'normal' PL weekend (GW30); in previous seasons a weekend with no fixtures was kept free for them. That will automatically mean around 4-6 PL games needing to be re-scheduled from GW30 (probably to GW34) which takes away yet another midweek slot that would have been available in previous seasons.

The end result is a severe shortage of slots when replays and re-scheduled games can be played. There will be more (and bigger) DGWs as a consequence and the fabled TGW isn't out of the question either.
Just a few hopefully helpful remarks.

On point 1) - the PL season started a week earlier than usual this year (8th August compared to 16 Aug last year) to make up for 1 week earlier finish (in time for the Euro Champs) so this can't be a factor at all. :|

On 2) - I'm pretty sure there are exactly the same number of internationals this season to last season - England certainly had 8 fixtures during last PL season and have 8 again this PL season - so this doesn't appear to be a factor either. In fact, on the contrary it looks like this number has reduced in recent years, with England playing 9 the two seasons before that. :|

On 3) - this has been the case for a while has it not? Certainly was the case last year, so surely again not a factor in this year being busier than last. :|

On 4) - This (and the fact that last season PL teams seemed to have a bad time in the cups in general) appears to me to be the only reason for extra congestion this season. I think last season was actually unusually sparse in terms of doubles - usually there'd be more teams involved - that's what it felt like anyway. :D

We usually get 2/3 DGWs, one of them (usually the GW34 one) being substantial and the others relatively small - last season I think there were 3, this season 3 looks most likely too - but the FA Cup sixth round will likely make them 'fuller'. :D
(Actually, we also used to have a GW1 double for a couple of season when Chelsea were in the Super Cup - made for an interesting start!)

Finally, the TGW isn't actually fabled - it happened once a number of years back with Middlesbrough - I believe in the season they reached the UEFA Cup final, FA Cup semi and also did well in the League cup!! :mrgreen:

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Tall Paul wrote:There's already been one Friday night game this season and the FPL gameweek started an hour before kickoff of that game.

I believe it's going to be a regular thing next season.
Yup, Villa-United, 2nd game of the season (?) if I remember correctly.

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

Stemania wrote: On point 1) - the PL season started a week earlier than usual this year (8th August compared to 16 Aug last year) to make up for 1 week earlier finish (in time for the Euro Champs) so this can't be a factor at all. :|
I think we actually ended up giving that early start back with a slightly shorter Xmas period this season.
Eg. GW22 in 2015 was Jan 17th and this year it fell on the 16th.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Looks like DGW 25 may be dead and buried at this point?

You would think the PL will be up to their tonsills in transfers today and tomorrow.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

The Username wrote:Looks like DGW 25 may be dead and buried at this point?
I was just going to ask what do people here think is the "deadline" (of course there is not an exact one as fas as we know) to announce DGW25 for City and Newcastle? How long can we still wait until we can say it's not going to happen?

mayweather
FISOhead

Post by mayweather »

there is zero chance of it happening unless its announced today. there was very slim chance anyways tbh. only once has it happened and that was played during an fa cup weekend when both sides were out.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

The non event that was DGW25 is to FISO what today's transfer deadline day damp squib is to Sky Sports

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I'm certain they would NOT change the decline for a Friday fixture, the game weeks are in the rules and why would they? They would change a time if necssessary, but not the date.

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

Shame, all this planning for nothing. Was worth it though.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

hancockjr wrote:I'm certain they would NOT change the decline for a Friday fixture, the game weeks are in the rules and why would they? They would change a time if necssessary, but not the date.
The rules state that
Deadlines are subject to change and will be 1 hour before the kick-off time in the first match of the Gameweek.
so if the first game of that gameweek is on the Friday, the rules allow for the deadline to be brought forward.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Stemania wrote:Finally, the TGW isn't actually fabled - it happened once a number of years back with Middlesbrough - I believe in the season they reached the UEFA Cup final, FA Cup semi and also did well in the League cup!! :mrgreen:
Birmingham also had a TGW back in the Barry Ferguson and Zigic era.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Tall Paul wrote:
hancockjr wrote:I'm certain they would NOT change the decline for a Friday fixture, the game weeks are in the rules and why would they? They would change a time if necssessary, but not the date.
The rules state that
Deadlines are subject to change and will be 1 hour before the kick-off time in the first match of the Gameweek.
so if the first game of that gameweek is on the Friday, the rules allow for the deadline to be brought forward.
I still don't think they'd change it; I think they meant the time not the date of the gameweek. Just my opinion though. Woudl create a precedent though - what if it came forward 48 hours? 72?

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Re: RE: Re: The second wildcard is coming! (Double Gameweek Planning)

Post by BobMem »

Calvin1979 wrote:
Stemania wrote:Finally, the TGW isn't actually fabled - it happened once a number of years back with Middlesbrough - I believe in the season they reached the UEFA Cup final, FA Cup semi and also did well in the League cup!! :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure Birmingham ended up having 2 DGWs close together rather than the expected triple. I had Zigic and he did F all, maybe even got injured.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

Well I don't know about you lot, but my plans are now changing! I half-expected DGW25, but my focus now will be to get a decent side out for GW27 when 4 teams blank, keeping in mind GW30, where several times are likely to blank.

Knowing that the likes of Leicester, Stoke & Southampton definitely play both weeks makes their assets more desirable. Any transfers I make from now to GW27 are likely to involve those teams.

In terms of DGWs, from what I gather there are decent chances in GW34 & GW37? Too far away to concern myself with at this stage. With most of my competitors not being likely to plan ahead, a big blank week is just as vital as a big DGW in my opinion.

payetme
FISOhead
FS Record: 4-1

Post by payetme »

just a bunch of people creating false hope for a dgw in gw25... causing hysteria throughout the fpl community. Just wait until they announce it..simple

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

payetme wrote:just a bunch of people creating false hope for a dgw in gw25... causing hysteria throughout the fpl community. Just wait until they announce it..simple
Yeah absolute "hysteria". I don't know about you but I woke up most nights in a panic. Either that, or people put forward some information based on sound logic and reasoning as to the possibility of a DGW, which doesn't appear to have materialised, and has caused you to overreact?

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Bobby Chopps wrote:
payetme wrote:just a bunch of people creating false hope for a dgw in gw25... causing hysteria throughout the fpl community. Just wait until they announce it..simple
Yeah absolute "hysteria". I don't know about you but I woke up most nights in a panic. Either that, or people put forward some information based on sound logic and reasoning as to the possibility of a DGW, which doesn't appear to have materialised, and has caused you to overreact?
I haven't been able to sleep for a week.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

payetme
FISOhead
FS Record: 4-1

Post by payetme »

Bobby Chopps wrote:
all that for nothing.... how am i overreacting? I'm cool over here. Get over it

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

hancockjr wrote:
Tall Paul wrote:
The rules state that
I still don't think they'd change it; I think they meant the time not the date of the gameweek. Just my opinion though. Woudl create a precedent though - what if it came forward 48 hours? 72?
Wasn't the precedent set when Villa v Man Utd was moved to the Friday night in GW 2?

Bull's eye
Wideboy

Post by Bull's eye »

BobMem wrote:
Calvin1979 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Birmingham ended up having 2 DGWs close together rather than the expected triple. I had Zigic and he did F all, maybe even got injured.
I am quite sure that Birmingham DID HAVE 3 games in one gameweek, I might be wrong but this is what I remember

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 9th overall in FPL 2005/06, 50th 2010/11, 288th 2014/15

Post by The Dazzler »

Bull's eye wrote:
BobMem wrote:
Calvin1979 wrote:
I am quite sure that Birmingham DID HAVE 3 games in one gameweek, I might be wrong but this is what I remember
I'm pretty sure they didn't. It was initially announced as a triple GW but then it was too difficult to do and it was rescheduled and they had 2 DGWs instead.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Calvin1979 »

That's right, just had to look it up. They were expecting a triple but ended up with DGW27, a blank in 28 and DGW29.

Shareef Babu
Treebeard

Post by Shareef Babu »

When is our first DGW?

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Calvin1979 »

Shareef Babu wrote:When is our first DGW?
We don't know yet.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Bobby Chopps wrote:Well I don't know about you lot, but my plans are now changing! I half-expected DGW25, but my focus now will be to get a decent side out for GW27 when 4 teams blank, keeping in mind GW30, where several times are likely to blank.

Knowing that the likes of Leicester, Stoke & Southampton definitely play both weeks makes their assets more desirable. Any transfers I make from now to GW27 are likely to involve those teams.

In terms of DGWs, from what I gather there are decent chances in GW34 & GW37? Too far away to concern myself with at this stage. With most of my competitors not being likely to plan ahead, a big blank week is just as vital as a big DGW in my opinion.
...see this post for the best idea, IMO.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Tall Paul wrote:
hancockjr wrote:
Tall Paul wrote:
The rules state that
Wasn't the precedent set when Villa v Man Utd was moved to the Friday night in GW 2?
I'd add this:
if a geme is brought forward to friday and the deadline stays on saturday, then,,,
the friday game falls in the prior gameweek! eek!
which will thus become a Double Gameweek! Double eek!

of course that would be a problem in case the prior gameweek matches already ended and all the FPL resuslts and rankings updated
would FPL re-open and update them to include the moved-up game?

in general, such a rescheduling should be made official with due advance, but....
can a moved-up game get added to a GW after that GW deadline?
e.g. on a sunday it gets announced that a game from a following GW gets moved to thursday that week?
isn't that too short notice for the real match?
can a FPL GW matches change after the GW started?

and:
a fixture has to fall in a GW or another....
has it ever been the case that an official PL game did not count at all for any FPL Gameweek????

I guess I'm hypothesizing to the extreme....
more likely, if a game is moved up top a friday, we'll ge to know it before the preceding Saturday, thus before the prior GW deadline
either FPL will move the deadline too, to 1 hour prior the friday kick-off, to keep it in the GW it was
or if they won't move the deadline, the game will become part of the prior gw, which will have its last match ending on a friday, ~12hrs before next gw deadline (which imho it would be absurd)

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

The Villa v United Friday game (the day before most GW2 games) was part of GW2 so if we did have another Friday game it seems to me very likely that the gameweek deadline will be moved forward to the Friday, 1 hour before kickoff, and the Friday game included in the following weekend's gameweek. Still quite unlikely that we'd need a Friday game though.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”