To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Who here has got Butland

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Re: Who here has got Butland

Post by Bob Newhart »

Bob Newhart wrote:Just brought him in. So he'll immediately start failing.
Told you :lol:

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Post by jeffmcgow »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Please, please, please bench him against Man U. You know it makes sense ;)

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

jeffmcgow wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Please, please, please bench him against Man U. You know it makes sense ;)
I'm a United fan, and I can tell you from recent experience that he's guaranteed a clean sheet and Stoke a win... unless I play him Image

That way, no clean sheet, probably via an own goal, but still a win for Stoke as they're only playing us.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

From4corners wrote:I hope Wickham will score .. against this fella this weekend.
:P

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Working a treat :mrgreen:

profart
Treebeard

Post by profart »

Seems due for another +.1

Why did the mighty Stoke defence concede 3? Anyone watched the game care to shed some light?

Currently thinking of a Mccarthy :arrow: Butland with 2 FT as I'm sick of Jack racking up the points and Myhill's fixtures don't look good + Foster's impending return.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

de Gea :arrow: Butland for this round. Couldn't have gone better!

reddevil 99
FISOhead

Post by reddevil 99 »

Not got him but he`s one of those players I should have brought in ages ago. Always have more pressing transfers it seems.

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Thought I'd use my first post in 4 months to say I've had just 2 players all the way from week 1 to 19, Butland and Ozil 8-) 8-)

Jesse
FS Record: Started at the bottom and working my way down

Post by Jesse »

Thinking of long term went de Gea (thanks for the 8 points this week) :arrow: hello Butland

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Be warned.... I'll be playing him again this week 8-)

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
You were warned :lol:

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

did Schmeichel :arrow: Butland for GW17
(other keeper being Hennessey)
their scores since:
Schmeichel - 1  3 10  6
Butland      - 1  9   1  2
Hennessey  - 3  7   7  1

and, I can't keep myself anymore

"I haven't got Butland"
 - King John Lackland

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

I tossed a mental coin when I made my wildcard in wk 7 between Butland and DDG. Since then Butland has 76 pts (5.4 ppg) and DDG 62 (4.4 ppg). Not my worst transfer ever, but still amazes me how when given a choice between two players I get it wrong about 2/3rds of the time. Mind you there is still time for DDG to catch up.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

I think when you have Hennessey and Schmeichel (total value of 8.6), you look quite settled at the back for up to eight GW's and you can spend more money on the rest of your team.
Next 8 GW's: AVL (a), AVL (a), STO (h), BOU (h), SWA (a), WAT (h), NOR (h), WBA (h)

Butland has Norwich at home and then gets four pretty tough fixtures.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Joccki_10 wrote:
One of the key plus points with Butland though is the amount of saves he makes. Even in the perceived tougher games he is likely to be in the points by virtue of the sheer number of saves he makes. Does very well on bonus points as far as keepers go too, and Stoke aren't adverse to pulling out the odd result against the big boys.

I guess in summary, I probably wouldn't be rushing to buy him now at the increased price, but I'm certainly not looking to sell either.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

I've no interest in making a goalkeeper transfer so asking this purely out of interest:

Butland obviously has a very good saves to goals conceded ratio, and this is what has made him such a high-scoring pick this season. A keeper who plays for a top club and makes few saves will get plenty of clean sheets but fewer saves and therefore less bonus (e.g. De Gea). A keeper who makes plenty of saves but also concedes a lot of goals and keeps few clean sheets (e.g. Guzan) isn't really worth considering.

Butland seems to have this magical FPL combination of facing plenty of shots on target but letting few of them past him. Usually a team that faces so many shots on target will concede more goals, yet Stoke and Butland seem to have shut plenty of teams out. My question is: do people think there is a logical explanation for why this has been, and is therefore likely to continue, or is it just variance? I don't really buy any "he's a great shot-stopper" arguments. Every goalkeeper in the Premier League is a great shot-stopper. But there are other factors such as how Stoke's defence is set up. Are they set up in such a way that allows plenty of 30-yard pot shots, but few high quality chances? That is obviously a great situation for an FPL goalkeeper. I don't know enough about Stoke to know if this is a factor in Butland's case, or if it is just variance. Anyone have any thoughts?

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

He's definitely running good: http://statsbomb.com/2015/12/jack-butland-saving-stoke/

Sample quote: I’ve highlighted the danger zone SoTs. Currently, Butland’s save % here is at 85% – 20% higher than any keeper’s ever finished the season with.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Notned wrote:
Joccki_10 wrote:
One of the key plus points with Butland though is the amount of saves he makes. Even in the perceived tougher games he is likely to be in the points by virtue of the sheer number of saves he makes. Does very well on bonus points as far as keepers go too, and Stoke aren't adverse to pulling out the odd result against the big boys.

I guess in summary, I probably wouldn't be rushing to buy him now at the increased price, but I'm certainly not looking to sell either.
Can't disagree with that :P As it comes to goalkeepers I'm actually not looking to stats, more to fixtures and therefore clean sheets. That's why I stick with the two mentioned before.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

thesilkworm wrote:I've no interest in making a goalkeeper transfer so asking this purely out of interest:

Butland obviously has a very good saves to goals conceded ratio, and this is what has made him such a high-scoring pick this season. A keeper who plays for a top club and makes few saves will get plenty of clean sheets but fewer saves and therefore less bonus (e.g. De Gea). A keeper who makes plenty of saves but also concedes a lot of goals and keeps few clean sheets (e.g. Guzan) isn't really worth considering.

Butland seems to have this magical FPL combination of facing plenty of shots on target but letting few of them past him. Usually a team that faces so many shots on target will concede more goals, yet Stoke and Butland seem to have shut plenty of teams out. My question is: do people think there is a logical explanation for why this has been, and is therefore likely to continue, or is it just variance? I don't really buy any "he's a great shot-stopper" arguments. Every goalkeeper in the Premier League is a great shot-stopper. But there are other factors such as how Stoke's defence is set up. Are they set up in such a way that allows plenty of 30-yard pot shots, but few high quality chances? That is obviously a great situation for an FPL goalkeeper. I don't know enough about Stoke to know if this is a factor in Butland's case, or if it is just variance. Anyone have any thoughts?
I'd like to give it a try. It seems that this season Stoke has a different style of attacking play. Their front four (Shaqiri-Afellay-Arnautovic-Bojan) is really trying to play a great game of football with their passing and technical skills. This is completely different than the way they played with the likes of Walters, Crouch and Diouf. But the current style of attacking play goes at the expense of their defence. So what I'm trying to say is that they actually have two different goals. The front four focuses on their attack and wants to create chances, while the back seven (Butland included) focuses on their defence and tries to prevent conceding (except for Johnson, who's doing both). This leads to a big area in between where their opponent has a lot of space for creating opportunities. With their back two (Shawcross-Wollscheid) very much adjust on man-marking and their two central mids (Whelan-Cameron) not exactly dynamic this isn't always the way of preventing chances. So this leads to 20-yard shots and close goal opportunities and then they have Butland.

I think the match against Manchester United was a great example. The second half United had a lot of space to create opportunities but they lacked a real, real striker (Rooney wasn't playing deeply enough and Fellaini isn't a natural goalscorer) so they wasted a lot of those.

Well, I tried my best in my DutchEnglish. :mrgreen:

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

thesilkworm wrote:My question is: do people think there is a logical explanation for why this has been, and is therefore likely to continue, or is it just variance?
Variance [in my opinion], someone asserted this on FFS when discussing whether Pantillimon was worth 5.0m. Panti mades 111 saves for 31 goals conceded, this season the same amount of goals conceded but only 71 saves.

Valeron
FISOhead

Post by Valeron »

I also think variance and totally agree Butland is no better a shot stopper than the other keepers and some of those shots on target would start going in. I said earlier in this thread that those playing Butland every week had gotten lucky and stand by that. He even got as assist one week.
Some on here recently picked him over Hennessy in one GW which was definitely a mistake, they were simply looking at his previous returns. Thankfully Hennessy out scored him. Not that I have any Palace defensive coverage, it was just bitterness at the flukey Butland owners.

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Didn't watch the game last night but that's another goal conceded, even if it is a different competition. Looking like I jumped on the bus possibly too late. Hopefully home to Norwich brings in the points

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Bob Newhart wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
Bob Newhart wrote:
You were warned :lol:
Continues to work like a charm :lol: :mrgreen:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

From the sublime to the ridiculous.

From a run of 8 clean sheets in 11 games between October 3rd and December 26th, to not even being able to shut out 10-man Norwich. :roll:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Tricky little run of 5 or so games coming up defensively (ARS, lei, mun, EVE, bou). Would be quite tempted to sell if I thought there was a good alternative - can't see a keeper I want in the whole game atm tbh, so will likely stick for their good run from GW27.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:From the sublime to the ridiculous. From a run of 8 clean sheets in 11 games between October 3rd and December 26th, to not even being able to shut out 10-man Norwich. :roll:
All it took was me transferring him in :lol:

Sums up my season :roll:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Good lord, Bob. You finally got some points from Butland! :D

cesc408
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cesc408 »

Took him out this week, Luckily Hart got a clean sheet.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

First clean sheet since I got him (after the game against United). :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”