To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Current overall leader

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Finisher1
Dumbledore

Current overall leader

Post by Finisher1 »

He has 1,003 points.

He has forgotten to make transfers and hence wasted one FT in GW10-12.

He has not played any chips. That's a good decision of course (apart from saving wildcard perhaps), but it makes his point record even more astonishing.

Is he just extremely lucky or what?

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Re: Current overall leader

Post by jimwinn »

A pretty good team through

Maybe he's giving us a chance to catch up

If he had made more 'sensible' selections he'd have lost out by picking his bench players so overall it was a good idea to stick

Why use a transfer when your team is so good?

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

His starting squad in GW1 didn't seem particularly astute (Falcao and Dzeko?), so I think fortune has favoured him greatly.
That's not to say that his subsequent transfers and (C) decisions haven't been well planned and considered .

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

jimwinn wrote: Why use a transfer when your team is so good?
If he is in that position, then he must be the luckiest FPL manager ever.

This is my fourth season, and I have never been in a situation where I couldn't find absolutely any use for one completely free transfer.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

I suppose taking out Ayew would have been a good idea

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Look at the shite he started GW1 with. Falcao and Džeko? What?? :shock:

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

He's really nailed the home/away rotation with De Gea and Hart.

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

One odd thing (to me) is that there's a ton of money on the bench in almost all of the top ten. And presumably a lot of rotation going on. I suppose that's possible whilst Aguero is injured, but surely counterproductive when he's fit.

sponduly
Treebeard

Post by sponduly »

Hamlet wrote:One odd thing (to me) is that there's a ton of money on the bench in almost all of the top ten. And presumably a lot of rotation going on. I suppose that's possible whilst Aguero is injured, but surely counterproductive when he's fit.
OR the top players are simply assuming that money can be spent better elsewhere?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

sponduly wrote:
Hamlet wrote:One odd thing (to me) is that there's a ton of money on the bench in almost all of the top ten. And presumably a lot of rotation going on. I suppose that's possible whilst Aguero is injured, but surely counterproductive when he's fit.
OR the top players are simply assuming that money can be spent better elsewhere?
I don't know what they are assuming but this season I wouldn't take seriously any advice from most of the OR top players. Most of them are clearly just casuals who have already wasted their chips and got lucky.

This season overall ranking is totally irrelevant indicator before the DGW's have been played. Of course we can now compare our rankings with FISO members, Ville Rönkä, triggerlips etc, and see how we are doing compared to serious managers. So, if your ranking is let's say 100k, then I think your real ranking should be about 5k-10k at the moment because of the chip factor.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Finisher1 wrote:
sponduly wrote:
I don't know what they are assuming but this season I wouldn't take seriously any advice from most of the OR top players. Most of them are clearly just casuals who have already wasted their chips and got lucky.

This season overall ranking is totally irrelevant indicator before the DGW's have been played. Of course we can now compare our rankings with FISO members, Ville Rönkä, triggerlips etc, and see how we are doing compared to serious managers. So, if your ranking is let's say 100k, then I think your real ranking should be about 5k-10k at the moment because of the chip factor.
I agree totally, and that's why I don't like the chips.

At the moment any comparisons are an apples and pears situation until everyone has played all their chips and are back on a level playing field.

The reason I don't like the chips is it really takes away from the game overall imo, as it makes it very hard to gauge where you're really at, and also puts a dent in your real time short and long term goals as all OR's are irrelevant and skewed until close to the end of the season when all chips have been played.

For me it makes the game a little boring as it blurs the lines when it comes to remaining interested and focused as you never really know what effect any week to week moves are really having in terms of strategy.

Hence I mentioned it's odd this season to see so many gw scores here of 60pts+ yet red arrows. It's stupid.

Also, I've noticed a few times that the gw leaders are teams that have just been entered for that gw with a chip used immediately, and no prior fpl history from seasons past. So is this current players entering additional teams as one gw experiments, or out of frustration because their real team is doing poorly?

Either way it's another thing that is having a negative effect on the game and overall ranks because of these stupid chips imo.

I think it takes a lot of the skill and fun out of the game and I hope they're ditched next season.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Finisher1 wrote: He has forgotten to make transfers and hence wasted one FT in GW10-12.
Maybe he didn't want to make any changes?

There is no such thing as wasting a transfer. If you make less transfers than others you rank ahead of them in the event of a points tie.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

NoEyeDeer wrote: At the moment any comparisons are an apples and pears situation until everyone has played all their chips and are back on a level playing field. I think it takes a lot of the skill and fun out of the game and I hope they're ditched next season.
I disagree. The chips will certainly favour experienced managers who understand the mechanics of FPL. That will be evident from GW30 onwards when there will likely be some dramatic OR swings.

Paul_Football
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Paul_Football »

He's got ziDann no wonder he's leading.

Valeron
FISOhead

Post by Valeron »

He's been massively lucky and if he keeps playing the way he has been, won't finish inside the top 2000.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

The quality of this type of thread often falls with assumptions that all on here/similar sites are serious players and leaders are not. Yes, there will be a significant number who have played all their chips and will benefit from an elevated ranking, but don't muddle the two up because post count per day isn't the only way to be successful

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:The quality of this type of thread often falls with assumptions that all on here/similar sites are serious players and leaders are not. Yes, there will be a significant number who have played all their chips and will benefit from an elevated ranking, but don't muddle the two up because post count per day isn't the only way to be successful
Oh... :shock: Oh that explains a lot.

firestarter197
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL 3,002 in 2011/12, 6,583 in 2017/18

Post by firestarter197 »

Before captaining Lukaku for the last 4 weeks, the current overall leader got 10 out of 12 previous captaincy choices completely wrong, the only exceptions being captaining Aguero's 5 points in GW6 and Aguero's 25 points in GW8. Every other week he either doubled a 1 pointer or a 2 pointer. Crazy. Imagine if he actually got a few more captaincies right, he'd be ahead by another 50 points probably.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/848253/history/

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Well well well, we have a new overall leader! He seems to be such a genius as well, having not played his wildcard yet. That's an interesting move!

Paul_Football
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Paul_Football »

Finisher1 wrote:Well well well, we have a new overall leader! He seems to be such a genius as well, having not played his wildcard yet. That's an interesting move!
This new guy also has Dann. Maybe it's me 8-)

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Well well well, the current overall leader decided not to play his first wildcard at all. I don't think he is casual, nor do I think he has been massively lucky. He must be an FPL genius and deserves to win the title!

zerinot
Red & Blue Braces

Post by zerinot »

well he did climb quite alot around the time the first Wildcard ran out, but im sure he could atleast find small changes he wanted to make. Seems like he was busy with something else around that time since he didn't use any ft gw 19+20 either, therefore losing 1 ft.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I think the quality of the overall leaders this season is the biggest proof about how strange this season has been. I have wanted to think that the FPL title needs a lot of hard work and planning, and whoever becomes the champion is a great FPL mastermind like spiderm4tt (I know FPL champions have always been luckier than most of the competing masterminds, but you have to be a mastermind yourself to even have a chance).

But this season a donkey after another has been overall number one, it's ridiculous.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

or maybe they've been Leonardo Da Vincis who dedicated 0.1% of their brain to play FPL with their left hand as a side occupation while they were busy with much more interesting things ;)
and still they were managing to beat us all at some point...

a self-appointed mastermind failing and scoffing and finding excuses it's almost as ridiculous to me as a donkey winning :P

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

MoSe wrote:or maybe they've been Leonardo Da Vincis who dedicated 0.1% of their brain to play FPL with their left hand as a side occupation while they were busy with much more interesting things ;)
and still they were managing to beat us all at some point...

a self-appointed mastermind failing and scoffing and finding excuses it's almost as ridiculous to me as a donkey winning :P
I have had an excellent season myself. I'm not sure why you took monkeys on my post. Surely burning your wildcard is not something a good FPL manager would do, and that is a fact.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Finisher1 wrote:I have had an excellent season myself. I'm not sure why you took monkeys on my post. Surely burning your wildcard is not something a good FPL manager would do, and that is a fact.
!. "I have had an excellent season myself."
I don't get why you felt the need to specify.
I wasn't referring to your season at all, nor thinking to it
Glad for your season, anyway! :P

2. "you took monkeys on my post"
sorry I don't understand that slang, I can't figure out what you mean.
I was just offering a different PoV, and my opinion in general, as everyone else does.
I didn't assume when you said "mastermind" that you were referring to yourself :P

3. "Surely burning your wildcard is not something a good FPL manager would do, and that is a fact"
That is an opinion, of course a reasonable one, with which I might agree in most of the cases, but I won't take it as a given
You say, my words to make it simpler:
"someone overlooking an obvious move is a casual"
I say: "someone overlooking an obvious move is liklely a casual, but he might also be a genius, or a genius playing causally"

a more open way of reasoning and using your mind had already been proposed to you earlier in this topic
Ruth_NZ wrote:
Finisher1 wrote: He has forgotten to make transfers and hence wasted one FT in GW10-12.
Maybe he didn't want to make any changes?
This one didn't use 1st WC.
Forgetfulness?
Playing Casually?
Not understanding the mechanism, or its worth?
Poor decision-making?
All of the above could be true. I'm not contesting that.
But maybe he had set up his team so well, or didn't incur in any emergency,
that he didn't feel the need to activate his WC before it expired, after all.

you want to discount this proposed option as stupid, and think that only your own opinions qualify as facts?
you're welcome to your opinion, I won't get angry at that :P
  • I only broke now into top 100k after two seasons, (although I did have more than a few good GWs)
    I''m not a genius and you're for sure a much better FPL player than I am (although that's for none to know on this forums as you never linked your team...), and I say this to the poster who most here rates the worth of other's opinion by the achievement they reach, and not by the worth of the idea itself
But I'm able to reason with my own mind, and I'm able to tell a fact from just someone's opinion :P

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

If you don't play your wildcard during 19 (?) gameweeks, it's a bad move everytime. Please, don't try to wise off saying "Maybe he didn't find any reasonable transfers to play wildcard, he just had perfect 13-15 players every gameweek" That's never true.

I think we have hundreds of FISO members who have played thousands and thousands FPL seasons in total. Never, never has anyone had 19-gameweek period when he or she couldn't find absolutely any use for an additional free wildcard. Never.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

1st: PM exchanged

2nd: I disagree
you joined FISO since little more than two seasons yourself,
I wonder whether in such a short time from previous posts you could perform an extensive data search on the previous 7-8 seasons or so, or a members survey
Or if you had done earlier such research about WC usage, and had it ready

Happy to know you have such deep historical knowledge, and/or such clear-cut and unshakable opinions to make you post 4 times the word "never" in 4 lines.
I don't, and I prefer to have a wider view.
  • I considered myself it's hard to not find a moment when at least one extra transfer might come useful.
    But I can accept that someone else might think differently, and that in some circumstances they might be even right, or anyway that such choice is not necessarily a defining moment of a season, to make you label the skill of a player just from it. But please, feel free to do it if you like, I'm not stopping you, I'm just disagreeing.
I like to call that "openmindedness", maybe you're right and I'm just "confused" :lol:

oh well, I can't change your mind, and you won't change mine
I know from the first time we met here 1 and half year ago that you like to call your opinions "facts".
sorry if I was distracted and ovelooked that I was treading on your dangerous gound
I know I have my own quirks too, and it's natural to overreact for something that might look totally minor to someone else :P

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

MoSe wrote:1st: PM exchanged

2nd: I disagree
you joined FISO since little more than two seasons yourself,
I wonder whether in such a short time from previous posts you could perform an extensive data search on the previous 7-8 seasons or so, or a members survey
Or if you had done earlier such research about WC usage, and had it ready

Happy to know you have such deep historical knowledge, and/or such clear-cut and unshakable opinions to make you post 4 times the word "never" in 4 lines.
I am also very careful to use definitive arguments like "certain", "never", "impossible" or anything like that. I don't like people telling "Leicester will certainly lose their form, it's impossible they win the title". I have said many times that I totally expect the unexpected to happen.

But seriously, 19 gameweeks and you just couldn't find any smallest use for wildcard. That's impossible. Well, probably not ENTIRELY (!!!!!!!) impossible. Someone always wins the eurojackpot with the odds 1 : 95 344 200, BUT I seriously think that a likelihood of not finding absolutely any use for an additional free wildcard during 19 gameweeks is notably smaller than that.

So yes, LITERALLY speaking there is one out of billion chance, so LITERALLY it's not ENTIRELY impossible. But, while I'm careful not to use definitive arguments, I also know when it's necessary to use one. You know the term "beyond a reasonable doubt"?

PS. This specific guy we are talking took a hit in GW9, so definitely he would have found some use for wildcard.
Last edited by Finisher1 on 12 May 2016, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

He was probably saving it for later, but didn't want to make transfers when the deadline came. I agree it's a mistake, he made 5 transfers in 3 weeks at the end of October so he could've used it then. But he probably thought using it for 4-5 transfers was a waste so he saved it.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”