To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Does coming on here make you side worse?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Purple.emu
Kevin and Perry

Does coming on here make you side worse?

Post by Purple.emu »

This is a serious question, I have wondered it for years. I don't post at all as you can see my post count. What would a season be like not of fiso, would you not get a distracted by what other people are doing and go with you first initial plan?

This season I have seen what others have posted and been influenced and majority of the time if I hadn't of read it and gone with what I was thinking orginally I would have been better off.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Does coming on here make you side worse?

Post by Stemania »

Sites like FISO and FFS are pretty well known to have a huge rank boosting effect.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Sometimes following advice makes my team worse, but that is why this site should be used for gathering information, not doing what everyone else is doing.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Theres no way you could always know better in every instance, maybe the odd gut feel captaincy etc would be better off not knowing anything else, but the info you get from fans of other clubs is invaluable for me, as its the stats analysis that you get, fixture identification, dgws, etc etc the list goes on and on.

It's easy to criticise advice if it doesn't work out in retrospect, but for the most part I think the advice given tends to be pretty sound.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

No.

Coming here definitely helps almost everyone on the site. Even when there are times when you disagree, and your decisions turn out to be correct, there is just so much information about such a wide variety of players.

Purple.emu
Kevin and Perry

Post by Purple.emu »

So I have a mate who doesn't bother that much doesn't have vardy etc and is 30 pts above me.

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 9th overall in FPL 2005/06, 50th 2010/11, 288th 2014/15

Post by The Dazzler »

It depends.
If you're a very good player and you come on here and start changing what you would normally do due to advice here, it can probably hurt your performance.
If you're a very bad player, coming on here and taking advice will probably help your performance.
The first year I discovered Fiso, I had my worst ever year and I think it certainly hurt my performance. You need to learn to screen out the 'white noise', of which there is a lot.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Interesting. I can't see any reason to believe the thread title. However, my rankings have dipped quite dramatically since I joined fiso. I had 5 sub-3000 ranks in a row immediately before, including a 156 and 22, and only one in last six since joining! But I put that down to many other things such as more players, players taking it more seriously, the luck element increasing due to rule changes, fantasy transfer 'suggestions' available everywhere nowadays including here, stats analysis everywhere, etc.

So no. Plenty of useful info here. :D

HQ Manoeuvre
FISOhead
FS Record: 1566 FPL 2011-12

Post by HQ Manoeuvre »

IIRC I had my best season before I joined here but was lurking on occasion. Sites like this help to bring some consistency.

And also help promote players like Boselli.

Ultimately the final choices lie with the manager though.. :wink:

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

HQ Manoeuvre wrote:And also help promote players like Boselli.
I still apologise for that :lol:

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Leave us alone.

sponduly
Treebeard

Post by sponduly »

The Dazzler wrote:It depends.
You need to learn to screen out the 'white noise', of which there is a lot.
I agree with this.

There will be some members opinions you learn to appreciate/trust a lot more then others. You just have to work out which ones.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Mav3rick wrote:It's easy to criticise advice if it doesn't work out in retrospect...
And to be fair we all have a self-serving attribution bias - if it doesn't work out well it's was that bloody site FISO, but if it works like a dream well that was all my idea and FISO just confirmed what I was already thought was the right decision. :)

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Yep, heaps worse!

Whenever I have a bad gw it is clearly Fiso's fault, and although my habits regarding visiting and reading the site change little from week to week, when I have a good gw it's clearly all my own doing. :P

I hate fiso and think it offers little to my team, as evident by the very little time I spend here. :lol:

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

NoEyeDeer wrote:Yep, heaps worse!

Whenever I have a bad gw it is clearly Fiso's fault, and although my habits regarding visiting and reading the site change little from week to week, when I have a good gw it's clearly all my own doing. :P

I hate fiso and think it offers little to my team, as evident by the very little time I spend here. :lol:
Since we told the world of fiso to get Kane in, 7 goals in 4 games 8-)

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

The Toon Man wrote:
NoEyeDeer wrote:Yep, heaps worse!

Since we told the world of fiso to get Kane in, 7 goals in 4 games 8-)
Yep, just so happens to be my last good gw. :lol:

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

NoEyeDeer wrote:
Yep, just so happens to be my last good gw. :lol:
Likewise, having a stinker of late! Aguero/Kane/Lukaku is now live though :D

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I would expect that the times we are swayed the wrong way stick in the mind much more than all the times we are steered in a better direction.

Fan knowledge of a club is very useful and I imagine we are mostly well informed about our own teams, but can use advice on other sides sometimes.

loosecannon85
Grumpy Old Man

Post by loosecannon85 »

The Dazzler wrote:It depends.
The first year I discovered Fiso, I had my worst ever year and I think it certainly hurt my performance. You need to learn to screen out the 'white noise', of which there is a lot.
Couldn't agree more. A lot of my good decisions this season have been against the masses on here. You certainly need to be able to in take the information here and make your own conclusions. My method is to pay attention only to the decent FPL players on here, normally backed up by their FPL ranking history. You can soon learn whose opinion is worth something and you save time by only reading their posts in 100 page way over analysed threads.

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

This place has helped me so much over the years. To the extent I am usually upset to not finish top ten thousand.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Personally I find coming on here just as entertaining as the game itself. Don't think I'd find it anywhere near as enjoyable just playing it in isolation.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

No, I do that all on my own.

zalk
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 2197

Post by zalk »

Yes! ..and here's why.

There's a Jamie Vardy thread trending right now that I think is a fantastic thread to represent this. The larger parts of that thread are discussions on why you should drop him in the upcoming weeks (started a month ago from now). People are actually trying to figure out reasons to why they should drop the most in-form player that has ever hit FPL in the last 10 years. The most responsible thing would be to close that thread with a message reading:

"Tis but a silly thing to discuss, just get Vardy in your team. /closed by moderator"

I think this forum is as damaging as it is entertaining. I'm easily affected by other opinions, haven't been here since GW1 and I'm doing better than I have in many years.
Last edited by zalk on 01 Dec 2015, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Well like I said, if you blindly follow every advice you'll destroy your squad. You should always make your own decisions. Sites like FISO should be used for gathering information and having fun, and nothing else.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”