To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

In search of a new home

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

In search of a new home

Post by DrBunker »

I've been chucked out of both the millionaires' lounge and now the double millionaires' lounge as a result of my overly frequent visits and subsequent bad behaviour and now I feel like I need a new place in which to drown my sorrows. I just hope there are people out there who could (should) join me...

By way of a backstory, I've played this game for 9 seasons and my worst ever finishing rank is 358,857. I've also finished in the top 10k twice so whilst I'm far from a pro I'm no novice. Now, don't me wrong, we all know it's been a funny old season and lots of us are struggling to various degrees but these are my current stats as at this GW:

GW score: 28
GW rank: 3.22m
Overall rank: 2.59m

I've had two GWs with a rank over 1m, 4 over 2m and 3 over 3m, in fact only 3 of the 12 weeks so far have not seen me finish with a rank above 1m.

I've played my WC and I'm managing my team every week (as far as I can tell in the same way that I always do) and really cannot understand how I'm doing quite so badly. Sure, I'm certain there are areas I could improve my team but it's hardly as bad as this rank would suggest. Is there anyone else out there who, having performed reasonably well in the past, is having such a sublimely horrendous season?

If you are, join me.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Re: In search of a new home

Post by The Username »

* Pulls up a chair.

Im in the 2mill club sitting at 2.2 mill odd, its the most extrodinary season, my tale consists of injuries which have led to hits - every single player in my squad has been injured bar Myhill and poor replacements for hits, every marginal decision has gone against me - hello Bony and Hazard, not to mention fluffing the captaincy more often then not. Like yourself i think my highest finish has been well into the top 10k and have only finished outside the 100k once in my first season. Managed a mighty 28 points this week with an excellent on paper team.

In a strange way it feels kind of liberating and is a great yet different challenge to try and do something from the 498 points i sit on. I would have said that the game was all about skill and prob still is, but luck is a massive variable - when it comes to the intangible like injuries.
Last edited by The Username on 09 Nov 2015, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Your new home is here matey and there's not much wrong with your current team.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=106964&hilit=Murf%27s

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

The Username wrote:In a strange way it feels kind of liberating and is a great yet different challenge to try and do something from the 498 points i sit on.
Welcome. :)

I absolutely know what you mean, I feel more free to take a punt on a captain choice or a transfer. The only problem is I keep thinking it doesn't matter what I do as it can't get any worse and then it does! :lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Mo Bot wrote:Your new home is here matey and there's not much wrong with your current team.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=106964&hilit=Murf%27s
The only problem is that's a place for people in a state of shock at getting a single GW rank over 3m not for those who get one on a regular basis! I'm not allowed in their either. :oops:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

My name is Knulpuk and I have a problem

(see link)

GW 10 2.66m

GW 11 2.88m

GW 12 2.92m

shoot me now

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Guessing from your avatar that GW8 might have been ok though.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

I was hoping not to see any more Zombies in here!

And I'm not sure your type is welcome here silky. ;)

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Such poor luck. Huge respect that you haven't just given up. If I was in your position is just focus on the cup now!

You've got all your chips left, lots of people will have blown them. A couple of good weeks and you'll shoot up a couple of million.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

DrBunker wrote:
The Username wrote:In a strange way it feels kind of liberating and is a great yet different challenge to try and do something from the 498 points i sit on.
Welcome. :)

I absolutely know what you mean, I feel more free to take a punt on a captain choice or a transfer. The only problem is I keep thinking it doesn't matter what I do as it can't get any worse and then it does! :lol:
I just had a run down of your week - week team mate, you have been massively unlucky, i couldnt really crituqe anything (like im one to talk) in fact you have played the game far more purely in the right way then me, i presume you planned to play five at the back with that stellar defence and have Redmond, Ritchie and Kone as enablers, maybe a redistribution of funds and Kone to Vardy might help to keep up with Jones's. I think some marginal calls have gone against you and the mental formof the likes of vardy and a few others. Id keep the faith and the principals of your approach, i think things will swing for you very soon.
Last edited by The Username on 09 Nov 2015, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

SFC_Fan wrote:Such poor luck. Huge respect that you haven't just given up. If I was in your position is just focus on the cup now!

You've got all your chips left, lots of people will have blown them. A couple of good weeks and you'll shoot up a couple of million.
That's my hope. I haven't given up partially bc it's continually amusing seeing how bad I can get whilst still trying but also largely bc I fought to keep our 5AS squad together this season and it would be really bad form for me to be the one that gives up. I'm equally surprised you haven't sacked me from our toto comp attempt! ;)

I'm still hopeful that with a few well played chips over the festive season I can make some ground up and finish in a slightly less disgraceful position.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

GW 12 score: 28
GW rank: 3.32m

GW 13 score: 44 (yay!)
GW rank: 2.69m (yay!)
Overall rank: 2.67m (oh...)

Now heading towards my worst point this season (2.74m). No respite yet and I'm aware I'm starting to take some punts...

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

DrBunker wrote:GW 12 score: 28
GW rank: 3.32m

GW 13 score: 44 (yay!)
GW rank: 2.69m (yay!)
Overall rank: 2.67m (oh...)

Now heading towards my worst point this season (2.74m). No respite yet and I'm aware I'm starting to take some punts...
Umm, the only way is up?

Sorry I'm struggling to find the right words of encouragement for you. :?

And I thought I was on a bad run. :|

I know! Look on the bright side, you just made me feel much better about my team! :D

That's something isn't it? :P

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Haha, there's always that. Roll on the January WC...

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

DrBunker wrote:I was hoping not to see any more Zombies in here!

And I'm not sure your type is welcome here silky. ;)
Some would think that star is fake :lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

I like to think of it as more of a comet; it may have faded of late but it is destined to make a firey return at some point in the future. ;)

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

DrBunker wrote:I like to think of it as more of a comet; it may have faded of late but it is destined to make a firey return at some point in the future. ;)
Or fizzle out, crash and burn, or my personal favorite, implode on itself creating an everlasting all consuming black hole.

But let's take the more optimistic view shall we? :P

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

I'm trying!

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Actually if you came outside the top 3m whist palpably trying you might enter some sort of FISO folklore - bit like the guy on here who found himself leading TFF 4 weeks into the season with his wooden spoon team.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

The definition of a Pyrrhic victory? ;)

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

DrBunker wrote:I'm trying!
For a start, Pelle, Kone and Giroud is a pathetic attack. Get Kane and Kun. And Ritchie? Why are you starting him?

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

At last, proper criticism. ;)

In my defence I didn't start with Richie, that was an autosub for Darmian who's suddenly stopped getting games. I agree with you about Kone, that was the punt I was referring to. I hoped he be able to steal a couple of goals but that said he's incredibly cheap and with an assist and a price rise since I got him I'm not too unhappy.

Not sure I'd agree re Pelle (the main attacker in a decent offensive side who had a more than good run of games) or Giroud (5 in 7 and now getting 90 minutes a game) though...

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Honestly I think your biggest problem is your spread of funds. You have 5 expensive defenders and a very weak 4th mid. If you want to play 3-4-3 (and you should play 3-4-3) that needs to change. So if I were you I'd replace 5 players this week:

1. Darmian - 5.6 for a rotation risk? come on, you can do better than that! Darmian :arrow: Simpson
2. Pelle - The Donkeyman gets plenty of shots, but he's not a clinical finisher. And he's suspended. Pelle :arrow: Aguero
3. Redmond - again 5.5 is too much for a player who's not nailed, and even if he was you won't start him. Redmond :arrow: Stanislas
4. Ritchie - not good enough to start. Get Eriksen if you can, if you can't, get Barkley.
5. Sell a defender that will enable the transfers 2 and 4. Azpi :arrow: 4.5 would be ideal.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Not a priority
5. Done

I made these changes a couple of GWs ago and I've leapt from 2.6m all the way up to the giddy heights of... 2.3m! :| I managed a green arrow in this last GW but was still 1.5mth overall for the week - considering I've got Mahrez and captained someone who got 6 points rather than the 2 most others seemed to get I'm still amazed at how that's possible. I naively thought that when the good weeks started to come I'd really make up some ground given how many dead teams there must be around me but it seems not...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”