To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Xherdan Shaqiri

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Re: Xherdan Shaqiri

Post by TheChairLeg »

Got to be a wait and see, but definitely one to keep an eye on.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Decent price, really, given his pedigree. If he can get anywhere near his previous form he could be a very shrewd pick, especially given their favourable fixture run.

Alas, he is at too awkward a price point for me to find space though. Arnautovic is the one which fits my price structure best, and does tempt me, but I presume that whilst probably first choice he is also the one whom is most at risk of missing out when everyone is fit?

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Rich2086 wrote:I think he's probably been told by his agent that if he puts in a good 12-18 months I can get you to Liverpool, Spurs
So, not much motivation for Shaqiri to do well then, is there? :wink:
I wrote Arsenal as well but you chopped it off the quote :lol:

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

How funny is this?

I just had to share it from the Mirror.co.uk.

Unimpressed: Stefan Effenberg has hit out at Shaqiri's move:

"You have to ask yourself where you can reach your sporting goals as a footballer. That should be the challenge.

"Earning €1 million more or less should be irrelevant. When you can make €6 million at Stoke or €3m at Schalke, you pick the latter.

"But Stoke? Come on, I cannot understand the player, his agent, his parents or his brother.

"This is a shame and a sad state of affairs. Only because they are throwing around cash? Is it really all about money for footballers these days?"

That part in red is gold! :lol:

Kind of validates The Username's theory. Impress for 12 months at Stoke and hope the big 4 come knocking.

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Is that the same Effenberg who went to a middling Fiorentina (in then loaded Serie A), promptly got relegated in his first season, stuck around for a year in Serie B, later let his career peter out in then middling, but VW-sponsored Wolfsburg, before sodding off to Qatar for a final pay-check?

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

I don't know any other Effingberg

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

sunnO)))jihai wrote:Is that the same Effenberg who went to a middling Fiorentina (in then loaded Serie A), promptly got relegated in his first season, stuck around for a year in Serie B, later let his career peter out in then middling, but VW-sponsored Wolfsburg, before sodding off to Qatar for a final pay-check?
Na. I asked his parents and they said you're thinking of his brother Erik. :lol:

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Effenberg is what Chris Sutton used to say when a German nicked his shin pads.

Hotchilidamo
Wideboy

Post by Hotchilidamo »

To be fair Stoke would give Schalke a pretty good game

Les_Gomiserables
Treebeard

Post by Les_Gomiserables »

Fantastic signing.

Stoke showing such ambition this TP

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

I'm getting worried about Liverpool's CS this weekend.

BTW :D:
11880498_1039462506066100_1943847478352188877_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

Any news on Shaqiri Shaqiri starting? On the bench this weekend would be my guess. Any Stokies know/think any different?

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

He's said he'll start Whenever, Wherever.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

I believe 1000% that Shakira is a mercenary and will not shine for Stoke. He will turn it on in flashes, but won't be happy about the mediocrity around him in general as he really ought to be at a bigger team and certainly one that's in the CL.

It says it all that he basically snubbed Stoke more than a month ago but eventually went with the money when no better option materialised.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:He's said he'll start Whenever, Wherever.
Nice :lol:

I don't agree that he'll flop at all. I appreciate its a strange career move, but the quality he has, combined with him probably wanting to impress to get a big move, means he'll be very very good in the PL in my opinion.

Apparently he has a slight hip strain though and is doubtful. Physio has left the decision of whether he's fit or not up to the player, as apparently his hips don't lie.

NOTE- Theres no injury worry at all as far as I'm aware, but there is a serious danger of some terrible puns.

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Shakiri got offered a deal by Schalke and Stoke more than doubled it.

I see this as a clever move, he comes to England and hopefully shines for a mid table team and then gets a big move to a top team.

He started really well for Inter and then lost his way a little / manager lost faith in him.

I think he could easily be 180 point player.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

The only thing is, his league goalscoring record is not amazing.

14/15 : 2 goals in 24 appearances (1094 minutes)
13/14 : 6 goals in 17 apps (782 minutes)

However both of these seasons his average time on the pitch per appearance has only been around 45 minutes. 13/14 is pretty good, but last seasons return of a goal every 547 minutes is pretty poor.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

SFC_Fan wrote:Shakiri got offered a deal by Schalke and Stoke more than doubled it.

I see this as a clever move, he comes to England and hopefully shines for a mid table team and then gets a big move to a top team.

He started really well for Inter and then lost his way a little / manager lost faith in him.

I think he could easily be 180 point player.
Wow! While I'd love the prospect of a newbie at 7mil totaling 180pts, I think that might be a little ambitious.

That total is probably more reserved for those players who have class support around them, and regardless of how good we think he may be, I'm just not sure he has 'that' type of support at Stoke.

I think he's good enough for 130 - 150 in his first season if he gets going.

Still not bad value at 7mil. :D

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Bobby Chopps wrote:

I don't agree that he'll flop at all. I appreciate its a strange career move, but the quality he has, combined with him probably wanting to impress to get a big move, means he'll be very very good in the PL in my opinion.

Apparently he has a slight hip strain though and is doubtful. Physio has left the decision of whether he's fit or not up to the player, as apparently his hips don't lie.

NOTE- Theres no injury worry at all as far as I'm aware, but there is a serious danger of some terrible puns.
Luckily his falls are small and humble
So you don't mistake them
For tumbles

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

eastcentral1 wrote:
Bobby Chopps wrote:

Luckily his falls are small and humble
So you don't mistake them
For tumbles
He's a poet and he didn't even know it.

But if he may have been well aware, then by God I'll eat my hair. :?

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

He's a brainless player with rather questionnable end product. That does not make him a bad fantasy pick of course, he could even be a very good buy à la Chadli at some point, but playing himself into a top 4 team? Don't make me laugh.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Big fish, little pond syndrome. I expect him to thrive on being the main man, star signing and probable focal point to their attacks. I think Stoke is exactly the type of club to give him the platform to start to fulfil his potential, and wouldn't be surprised to see him smash it at some point this season.

There is always a slight element of doubt though with how newcomers to the league will adapt, and I think he is a fitness doubt anyway, so it's very much a case of wait and see for now.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

FFS have him in their predicted lineup for what it's worth. Don't think it's necessary to rush him in right now though with a fixture away at spurs. Norwich away in GW3, ahead of a nice run of games, looks a good point to consider him though so he'll get a one game audition, much like Payet and Ayew.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

MoSe wrote:I don't know any other Effingberg
Didn't one used to play tennis?

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Bob Newhart wrote:
MoSe wrote:I don't know any other Effingberg
Didn't one used to play tennis?
Ah, yes, Steffi Effenberg. She married Andre Villas Aggasi.

Potters82
Treebeard

Post by Potters82 »

sleuth wrote:I believe 1000% that Shakira is a mercenary and will not shine for Stoke. He will turn it on in flashes, but won't be happy about the mediocrity around him in general as he really ought to be at a bigger team and certainly one that's in the CL.

It says it all that he basically snubbed Stoke more than a month ago but eventually went with the money when no better option materialised.
With Bojan, Affelay and Arnautovic around him?. If that is mediocrity, then I'm very happy with our mediocre team.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Potters82 wrote:
sleuth wrote:I believe 1000% that Shakira is a mercenary and will not shine for Stoke. He will turn it on in flashes, but won't be happy about the mediocrity around him in general as he really ought to be at a bigger team and certainly one that's in the CL.

With Bojan, Affelay and Arnautovic around him?. If that is mediocrity, then I'm very happy with our mediocre team.
some bald Stoke fan was asked for his opinion on the signing and he came back all deadpan like, I reckon we are top 5 material. Ffs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't even beat Liverpool and RODGERS is doing his best to ruin that side.

Potters82
Treebeard

Post by Potters82 »

sleuth wrote:
Potters82 wrote:

some bald Stoke fan was asked for his opinion on the signing and he came back all deadpan like, I reckon we are top 5 material. Ffs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't even beat Liverpool and RODGERS is doing his best to ruin that side.
Top 10 is a good season for us, and as for the first game we had 4 key players missing and still could have easily got the 3 points with a bit of luck.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Stoke were Definately the better team on the day in a dire game but I don't see anyway that Shakiri is a fit at Stoke. He is a greedy individual in both senses of the word and has DEFINATELY gone for the cash.
Brilliant player- wrong club.

Problem I have is that Stoke were that poor last week some gullible Liverpool fans think Lovren has morphed into a footballer, when the fact of the matter he is dogshite.
No team has ever made Lovren look good in a Liverpool shirt until last weekend.

I would be amazed if he puts a 'Team shift ' in and won't be going into any of my teams until he proves me otherwise.

Potters82
Treebeard

Post by Potters82 »

Time will tell, however I'm very confident that Hughes will get the best out of him.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”