To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

For those with their wildcard still in their pocket....

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

For those with their wildcard still in their pocket....

Post by Hotstepper »

... When do people feel is the ideal time to play the first wildcard?

I can see a break around GW 8/9 when the fixture runs start to favour some teams and look not so hot for others, a change from up to that point. I've also read some chat about fixtures around GW 12/13 being a good time.

But I can see the benefit of holding onto it to set up your team for an assault on the festive fixtures.

Looking at my own squad, fixtures are pretty favourable (not that this has counted for much in this seasonus horribilis) with minimal transfers through GWS 5-7 and come 8 im looking at possibly needing more than a tweak.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Re: For those with their wildcard still in their pocket....

Post by Gambit »

when/if I get a lot of injuries and feel it's the only option, I've not got a specific GW where I am going to play it.

also, it's been such a strange start to the season that I couldn't honestly say what the optimum WC squad would be at the moment, have looked at a lot of squads for people who have hit it and they are already taking about having/wanting to make changes.

hopefully can stay clear of an injury crisis and just change my squad here and there with the odd -4.

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 9th overall in FPL 2005/06, 50th 2010/11, 288th 2014/15

Post by The Dazzler »

It depends on your team.
I always think that when I want to do 5+ changes, it's time to think about it.

Just to be clear, I don't still have it. I'm currently playing it.

I think this GW is the optimal time to play it, all things being equal.
That is, if you were to ask someone before the season started, when would the best time to play it be? I think the answer would be GW4. It is always the week that most wildcards are played.
You've seen 4 weeks of teams, you can get a good idea of how teams are lining up, how the players are playing. You've had the benefit of the seeing out the transfer window and you can move for any interesting transfers (not many this season).
You have 2 weeks to be able to take advantages of any double risers (not many this GW).

But apart from a theoretical, all things being equal, best time to play it, the best time is the best time for your particular team.

wizardoffire
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2013/2014 FISO Hotshots league

Post by wizardoffire »

hoping to see more during next week... if played from the start of the weekend there have been chances to catch risers

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

It depends on who is in your team, not like we have any DGWs in the first half of the season; I would hope that my wildcard team would look sufficiently different to ones played in the first few weeks and the information I have gained is valuable. I was hoping to save mine for a few more weeks, and was thinking of using it to bring in a few Chelsea players for their easier run and possibly dispose of Kolarov before Clichy comes back. However looking at my defensive fixtures for week 6, and considering how much better Sánchez looks than Hazard, I may hit it next week.

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Lucky »

I played my wildcard in GW3, so I probably should not answer here.

My plan was to keep the first wildcard until at least November. There is bound to be a GW, where some players are injured and other are frequently rotated because of the CL.

But after the first two weeks my team was ranked close to 3,000,000 and I felt the need to activate it. I benefitted from the early bandwaggons to increase team value significantly and regained momentum. So far so good, but I am sure I will be in trouble at a later stage.

So my advice: Keep it as long as you can, if you are doing reasonably well.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Lucky wrote:So my advice: Keep it as long as you can, if you are doing reasonably well.
This seems sensible, but I'm not doing reasonably well. :lol:

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

still have mine at this point. After an awful start my team improved over the last 2 GW. I have 2 FT to sort out a few issues with underperforming expensive players (Hazard/Depay/Sterling) so i think i can handle it without burning the WC. There has been some interesting activity in the last days of the transfer window so i'll give it a week or 2 to see how teams shape up. I hope that by then i'll
be able to define a good team that will take me through winter. i alsp hope that by then some different players will explode (Shakiri/Rondon/KDB/etc....) so i can get an advantage over people who played their WC early.
I also feel its a bit of a dangerous game, there is no certainty that an alternative WC team will emerge by GW 7-8 and i could be well behind people who played their WC early if their choices keep performing.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

If i still had it then I'd quite like to use it for a Chelsea switcheroo around GW11. Could see Costa and Hazard suddenly replacing city assets around then.

It feels like the squad value issues are dissipating (or have alreday had their effect) so either a desired -12 or sudden form from Chelsea would be the best time to me now.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotstepper »

I've held off so far by taking a couple of hits already, which has worked out. Been moving up a couple of hundred thousand places each week, and now around 500k. Not in itself a great position, but realistic with the season as its been so far. Plus, at this stage, my front 8 pretty much looks like a WC team, albeit my defence (bar Kolorov) is a bit more random looking. If I can keep that progress going, onwards and upwards, and not lose ground to the WC-ers, then its got to be to my advantage to still have the wildcard up my sleeve. Chelsea to pick up, Arsenal to start scoring, WBA to amass the clean sheets... I would guess a lot of the WCs have been shedding these options, so when they come good I want to be able to take advantage of them, or whatever other bandwagons start to present themselves.

That's the theory. The reality...

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

JVRB48 wrote: For those with their wildcard still in their pocket....
Take your hand out of your pocket and stop playing with your 'wildcard'... !!!

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I always planned to play in gw 4 (ie now) but despite a terrible start I haven't. This is partly as I was on holiday so hadn't seen any games but also as I really wasn't sure who to bring in. I have three Man City, but would like to see how KDB and other signings start. The time to play it could be when Chelsea start to show some form.

In summary, I'm sorry I haven't a clue!

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

The Dazzler wrote:It depends on your team.
I always think that when I want to do 5+ changes, it's time to think about it.

Just to be clear, I don't still have it. I'm currently playing it.

I think this GW is the optimal time to play it, all things being equal.
That is, if you were to ask someone before the season started, when would the best time to play it be? I think the answer would be GW4. It is always the week that most wildcards are played.
You've seen 4 weeks of teams, you can get a good idea of how teams are lining up, how the players are playing. You've had the benefit of the seeing out the transfer window and you can move for any interesting transfers (not many this season).
You have 2 weeks to be able to take advantages of any double risers (not many this GW).

But apart from a theoretical, all things being equal, best time to play it, the best time is the best time for your particular team.
I thin GW4 used to be a good time (because of the 2 weeks to take advantage of double risers) but I'm sure I've read somewhere that wildcard transfers don't count towards NTIs any more (and this is the reason price changes aren't happening when the various PC stats sites indicate)?

As a result, while it doesn't really help its the last line above that is the only true advise I can give!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Yes, wildcard transfers don't count in terms of price rises (as far as it's understood) so there is now basically no difference whenever you play your wildcard if looking for the opportunity to make money - excepting weeks where there might be a noticeable amount of hits/extra regular transfers made by the masses (maybe just before a DGW for example).

That said, regular transfer activity is probably higher in the first few weeks of the season than say 10 weeks in, so the earlier the better in the money making respect as a general rule I guess.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

This season has been as much about avoiding early falls in value than any increases, but wildcarding gwk2 or 3 was definitely beneficial for team value.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotstepper »

Out of interest, what kind of team values are people sitting with that have played their wildcard?

I'm currently 101.8 not having played it yet

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Ironfist wrote:Take your hand out of your pocket and stop playing with your 'wildcard'... !!!

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: For those with their wildcard still in their pocket....

Post by liquidfootball2 »

JVRB48 wrote:Out of interest, what kind of team values are people sitting with that have played their wildcard?

Not too much more than that at 102.2, i played mine to avoid slipping well below 100.0 after six or seven threatened decreases following an abysmal start. I thought decreasing value would seriously hamper any chances of recovering ground.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Played my wildcard part way through GW3 (due to impending rises and losses that I felt forced my hand somewhat) and now have 102.6, but would have been >103 if done at the start of GW3 and possibly even more if done in GW2 (jumping on the Mahrez bandwagon for example).

At the time I thought that was too early as I felt I should have strength in my own convictions but alas in GW3 I was weak and panicked like Ed Woodward :!: :oops:

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Stemania wrote:Yes, wildcard transfers don't count in terms of price rises (as far as it's understood) so there is now basically no difference whenever you play your wildcard if looking for the opportunity to make money - excepting weeks where there might be a noticeable amount of hits/extra regular transfers made by the masses (maybe just before a DGW for example).

That said, regular transfer activity is probably higher in the first few weeks of the season than say 10 weeks in, so the earlier the better in the money making respect as a general rule I guess.
Re the latter point, the thresholds are amended to account for lower activity.

I've never been convinced there are many more transfers in an international week. There are more days but many of them have very few transfers at all. There is a bit more but certainly not as much extra as many people seem to think. I think!

Lucky
Grumpy Old Man

Re: RE: Re: For those with their wildcard still in their pocket....

Post by Lucky »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
JVRB48 wrote:Out of interest, what kind of team values are people sitting with that have played their wildcard?

Not too much more than that at 102.2, i played mine to avoid slipping well below 100.0 after six or seven threatened decreases following an abysmal start. I thought decreasing value would seriously hamper any chances of recovering ground.
102.7 having played my WC. Probably would have been close too 99.0 if I had not. No threat for a drop, rather more rises to come this GW.

bristolciteh
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Somewhat absymal.

Post by bristolciteh »

I agree with timing it around GW4 but I pulled the trigger in GW3 this time as I was on the wrong players entirely. If there are a number of risers/bandwagons and I need to adjust the selection I have no issues in pushing it and making the swaps. As is often the case the players I thought might start with a barnstormer (Ivan, Walcott, Rooney, Costa) and I built my team around needed to go to be replaced by some players with a better chance of getting on the scoresheet.

I'm on 154 points now - if I had remained 'unchanged' I'd be on 123 points so there has been a swing from playing it. Team value is lowish at 101.6 but I've taken a couple of hits on players who are falling in value I want to keep (Wanyama, Hazard) so I'm not hugely bothered at the moment. Plus a couple of weeks in the Double Millionaires made me realise that there was a big need for a shift in strategy...

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

bristolciteh wrote:I agree with timing it around GW4 but I pulled the trigger in GW3 this time as I was on the wrong players entirely. If there are a number of risers/bandwagons and I need to adjust the selection I have no issues in pushing it and making the swaps. As is often the case the players I thought might start with a barnstormer (Ivan, Walcott, Rooney, Costa) and I built my team around needed to go to be replaced by some players with a better chance of getting on the scoresheet.

I'm on 154 points now - if I had remained 'unchanged' I'd be on 123 points so there has been a swing from playing it. Team value is lowish at 101.6 but I've taken a couple of hits on players who are falling in value I want to keep (Wanyama, Hazard) so I'm not hugely bothered at the moment. Plus a couple of weeks in the Double Millionaires made me realise that there was a big need for a shift in strategy...
This pretty much sums up my position too, almost word for word.

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

I sill have my wildcard. I'm on 160 points but my team value is currently £100.0m. I'm not sure if that's a failure or a success. Maybe somewhere in-between.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Team value is barely relevant as long as you're roughly in touch with the right players, and there's more skill and luck involved over the next 20GWs to make it up or lose it anyway.

I think the effect of the removal of the January wildcard is being overlooked too - unless you play your second wildcard early (I assume most will go around GW31-34 when the doubles happen) then you're going to struggle to collect up all the spare 0.1s to buy the extra premium player that TV accumulators might be able to afford.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

For those that are interested 100.9 TV, 100.2 Sale Value (But don't expect to sell some of my risers like Ward, Ayew or Agüero).

Own 3-4 of the quickest rising players but no Mahrez, and Depay may drop eventually.

Wildcard still available, 1 four point hit taken to get Sánchez in for injured Eriksen.

sponduly
Treebeard

Post by sponduly »

Currently holding onto the WC, but I've had a terrible start, so every week I've contemplated the WC.

I feel like a WC now would only allow you to keep up with the leaders, instead of having a benefit (differential team that can catch/overtake the competition).

That being said, unless some level of normality comes back to the Premier League (big names playing well), I'll be out of contention to the point any WC benefit won't make a difference, so the WC may be forced upon me.

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

So what's going on with people still holding the WC. When are you planning on using it and who are your potential targets ?
I think the time to use it is getting closer. I'd like to bring KDB/Martial/Evans/Sturridge and probably Hazard back. Thoughts ?

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotstepper »

I've played it this week and brought in all but Sturridge in that list

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

I've played mine this week, already had a team value of 102.5 pre-wildcard. My main reason was that I only had 10 playing this week just gone with 3 defenders out. If I'd had two transfers this week I might have taken a 4 point hit and sorted out 3 transfers which I felt was the minimum in order to get my team recovered. There are now doubts over the start of 3 of my defenders and my fifth defender Huth is not getting any points. Without a wildcard I would have spent most of the rest of the month sorting out my defence. This way I can sort out my defence properly and tinker with my attack (which wasn't too bad). Also means I can ride the Martial ride, take the price rise knowing that it only takes 1 transfer to dump him when he runs out of puff (as I am sure he will). Only frustration is that it meant I missed out on Payet rise and caught Huth fall as I didn't activate it until yesterday.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”