To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Aguero (Worth owning or not?)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Aguero is sh*t

Post by MPTree »

blahblah wrote: As I said fixtures. I could throw in Citeh's dodgy form and the absence of Yaya\Kompany. In FPL there are transfers to pick in form players, so it isn't unreasonable to hop from in form expensive player to another...

Obviously hindsight and a 5 goal opening burst of form makes the transfer look stupid, which could be seen to be compounded by Buck finally being deposed. But then I didn't make the transfer, although I can see why some might have.
"Form" is one of the biggest myths in FPL, IMO (and perhaps even in football). Most people take "form" to mean, "he's been scoring lots of points/goals," but, in isolation, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Sanchez and Aguero just serve to illustrate this point: world class players in world class teams getting lots of opportunities in front of goal. There'll be a little bit of variance, but eventually these kinds of players will score and score well.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

True, but if you can hop from points streak to point streak then you will do better, shirley?

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

It's not possible to jump from point streak to point streak because it can happen any game with players like Sanchez and Aguero, barring injury you keep them all season and laugh at others who transfer them out - it's a way of life.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

blahblah wrote:True, but if you can hop from points streak to point streak then you will do better, shirley?
If anyone finds a way of accurately predicting points streaks, then they'll probably finish 1st overall. And don't call me surely.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Exactly, so anyone who brought in Aquerro for the weekend.......

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Or Sanchez home to top of the table United. :roll:

Sorry blahblah but your argument is weak imo.

Players like Aguero and Sanchez are fixture proof because they always get chances, and unlike lesser players, have the quality to take advantage of those chances at a more regular rate.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I brought Sanchez in, lol.

Would I have if Toure was fit? Nope.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

You know what? Scrap everything I've said in this thread.

Aguero must be sh*t, because not even his manager rates him as the best. :lol:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... ID=HP_BN_6

blahblah wrote:I brought Sanchez in, lol.

Would I have if Toure was fit? Nope.
Man I wish Yaya played. :lol:

I can't tell now if you are pulling our leg, or are actually serious and believe what you are saying yourself? :lol:

t88
Treebeard

Post by t88 »

Aguero is da sh*t 8-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

A bit of both, tbh.

Similar things could be said about Hazard, Rooney and a load of others*, but there are only so many that can be afforded. Citeh were mediocre in September, and without Yaya and Kompany; Newcastle weren't too bad and against Chelsea for the first 40 mins yesterday. Hindsight is a wonderful thing....

*I'm far from a fan, but an OOP Walcott at 8.6m might be in that load as well.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

blahblah wrote:A bit of both, tbh.

Similar things could be said about Hazard, Rooney and a load of others*, but there are only so many that can be afforded. Citeh were mediocre in September, and without Yaya and Kompany; Newcastle weren't too bad and against Chelsea for the first 40 mins yesterday. Hindsight is a wonderful thing....

*I'm far from a fan, but an OOP Walcott at 8.6m might be in that load as well.
I'm not actually sure what you're trying to say? :lol:

And I mean that sincerely, not in a nasty way. :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Here goes.

Citeh were poor in Septmeber. They were without Yaya and Kompany. Newcastle weren't too bad vs Chelsea in their previous match. So there was no reason to predict the Aquerro 25 points, as the first 40ish mins showed. So pondering the Aquerro to Sturridge transfer was not completely daft - as claimed above. Citeh without those two could have continued to be poor and the returning Sturridge could have fired Liverpool....

There are other quality players in the game that can be considered must have's or win the Class over Form equation. However, they tend to cost quite a bit, so very few can be in a Fantasy side at once: hence teams are fantasy teams are different....

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

blahblah wrote:Here goes.

Citeh were poor in Septmeber. They were without Yaya and Kompany. Newcastle weren't too bad vs Chelsea in their previous match. So there was no reason to predict the Aquerro 25 points, as the first 40ish mins showed. So pondering the Aquerro to Sturridge transfer was not completely daft - as claimed above. Citeh without those two could have continued to be poor and the returning Sturridge could have fired Liverpool....

There are other quality players in the game that can be considered must have's or win the Class over Form equation. However, they tend to cost quite a bit, so very few can be in a Fantasy side at once: hence teams are fantasy teams are different....
But Aguero is the best striker in the league with a history of explosive points at any time. Further to this, like Sanchez and excluding that one Spurs match, his underlying stats showed he was getting numerous chances, and as we know with players of his quality, when the chances are coming, the returns aren't far away.

Newcastle played a Chelsea side in uncharacteristic ruin at the moment, so anyone who used that match as a form guide going into the City match seems to know very little about the league and current events.

I'm sorry, but I still have to agree that Sturridge over Aguero was a very silly move, as your argument is still weak.

It's all a matter of opinions, so no big deal that we differ. :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I agree, as I didn't do it - but as above that is more to do with hindsight as anything :wink:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

What we can agree on is perhaps that anyone who sold Aguero probably did make a mistake but they were unfairly punished for it. A transfer of Aguero to, say, Sturridge this week would have been a very dodgy move, but to lose out on effectively 10 goals in a week (based on captaincy) is a harrowing punishment.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Exactly.

podge018
Treebeard

Post by podge018 »

Aguero only caught up on where he should be at this stage of the season. He'll have 30 goals come May so I don't really mind if he scores them 1 per week or 5 every 5th game.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Stemania wrote:What we can agree on is perhaps that anyone who sold Aguero probably did make a mistake but they were unfairly punished for it. A transfer of Aguero to, say, Sturridge this week would have been a very dodgy move, but to lose out on effectively 10 goals in a week (based on captaincy) is a harrowing punishment.
Yes of course correct but the amount of times we say I've made a close call and it costs me an obscene 20 points...FF always punishes/rewards to an unfair extreme nowadays because the games are so unpredictable. If you're on the end of a few bad ones, it can be devastating for your season. Vice versa, it's happy days. The only way you can 'ride the waves' (but not win the whole thing most likely) is to stick with quality from start to finish (the Mane's, Walcott's, Aguero's, Sanchez's, Hazard's, etc) - these guys can grab double figures at ANY time vs ANY opposition. The game never used to be like that and I think it'll get more extreme in the EPL as everyone has £wonga now.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

To be fair, I actually expected Newcastle to put up a good fight after the display against Chelsea and certainly thought maybe next week would be the game-changer week with Kun rather than this week. (Still captained Kun though). :oops:

I guess it's also easy to forget that for the first 40-odd mins on Saturday, City were pretty much dominated by Newcastle. Should have been two or three up by HT really.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Accord on FISO?

tamagotchi massacre
Treebeard

Post by tamagotchi massacre »

Stemania wrote:What we can agree on is perhaps that anyone who sold Aguero probably did make a mistake but they were unfairly punished for it. A transfer of Aguero to, say, Sturridge this week would have been a very dodgy move, but to lose out on effectively 10 goals in a week (based on captaincy) is a harrowing punishment.
One thing I promised myself after witnessing Suarez explosive scoring ruin many a season is that you own these players (Suarez/Aguero) and you captain them every single week, or you don't own them at all. And from that point of view I can understand the decision to sell. It's a lot of money you can invest elsewhere. It's the people who owned but didn't captain that I don't really feel sorry for.

Monsignor
FISOhead

Post by Monsignor »

tamagotchi massacre wrote:
One thing I promised myself after witnessing Suarez explosive scoring ruin many a season is that you own these players (Suarez/Aguero) and you captain them every single week, or you don't own them at all. And from that point of view I can understand the decision to sell. It's a lot of money you can invest elsewhere. It's the people who owned but didn't captain that I don't really feel sorry for.
Well you can't captain both of them, can you? :D

I've had a good think about it and decided to go without Sanchez. Aguero is my (c) in most gameweeks either way - then I'd rather spread the Sanchez money around and fortify 2 or 3 positions.

For example, yesterday I transferred in Mane for Pedro. I could have transferred in Sanchez instead, but is Sanchez worth more than Mane + 3.3 million for upgrading other players? I highly doubt it, unless you plan on captaining Alexis.

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Monsignor wrote:

I've had a good think about it and decided to go without Sanchez. Aguero is my (c) in most gameweeks either way - then I'd rather spread the Sanchez money around and fortify 2 or 3 positions.

For example, yesterday I transferred in Mane for Pedro. I could have transferred in Sanchez instead, but is Sanchez worth more than Mane + 3.3 million for upgrading other players? I highly doubt it, unless you plan on captaining Alexis.
You have a very expensive defence already and an above base price 5th mid/3rd fwd. Where are you going to invest another 3.3m? Realistically, either your bench or you'll have to commit to a formation (another two transfers).

Until recently, money was no issue at all. I still have 2m itb and I've been owning Agüero, Sánchez and Silva/KDB for a while. If money is no issue and I have the choice between a Mata/Eriksen/Özil and Sánchez, I'm always taking the latter for his explosive potential.

If the Copa really distorted the start of the season, it could be very dangerous to keep ignoring Sánchez (& Agüero).

Monsignor
FISOhead

Post by Monsignor »

sunnO)))jihai wrote:
Monsignor wrote:

You have a very expensive defence already and an above base price 5th mid/3rd fwd. Where are you going to invest another 3.3m? Realistically, either your bench or you'll have to commit to a formation (another two transfers).

Until recently, money was no issue at all. I still have 2m itb and I've been owning Agüero, Sánchez and Silva/KDB for a while. If money is no issue and I have the choice between a Mata/Eriksen/Özil and Sánchez, I'm always taking the latter for his explosive potential.

If the Copa really distorted the start of the season, it could be very dangerous to keep ignoring Sánchez (& Agüero).
In my case, I could spend an extra 3.3 on:

Gomez :arrow: Jagielka
Mertesacker :arrow: Bellerin
Hoolahan :arrow: Barkley

Obviously it's all speculation and a number of things could happen, but, assuming Sanchez outscores Mane by about 70 points like he did last year, these 3 upgrades could easily make up that difference while giving me more quality bench options to work with and thus compensate for injuries and suspensions much better than a base price 5th mid/3rd forward.

Most people here are more experienced than I am, but strictly mathematically speaking I think I have a good chance of being correct.

tamagotchi massacre
Treebeard

Post by tamagotchi massacre »

Monsignor wrote: Well you can't captain both of them, can you? :D
I don't think many people owned both at the same time - probably through a combination of factors (cost, Aguero's awful injury problems, Suarez' bans)

Monsignor
FISOhead

Post by Monsignor »

sunnO)))jihai wrote: You have a very expensive defence already and an above base price 5th mid/3rd fwd. Where are you going to invest another 3.3m? Realistically, either your bench or you'll have to commit to a formation (another two transfers).

Also, speaking of defence, your defence scored a total of 98 points, while mine scored 115 (yes I made the effort to add it all up :D ) in 8 rounds now. Over the course of a season this difference in GK/DEF points between you and I would grow to 81 points at this rate, and the price difference between our starting GK/DEF quartet is only 2.8! This alone offsets the Sanchez VS Mane difference. So why not upgrade that instead of relying on the defensive capabilities of the likes of Leicester, Aston VIlla and West Ham?

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

In a season where we have Vardy, Mahrez, Ayew, Gomis, Payet etc it seems absolutely mental to not have Sanchez and Aguero.

I'm struggling to spend my money ATM, every transfer seems to be to a slightly cheaper player / another massively in form budget option.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

NoEyeDeer wrote:You know what? Scrap everything I've said in this thread.

Aguero must be sh*t, because not even his manager rates him as the best. :lol:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... ID=HP_BN_6
Lies, he's better than CR!

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Monsignor wrote:
sunnO)))jihai wrote: You have a very expensive defence already and an above base price 5th mid/3rd fwd. Where are you going to invest another 3.3m? Realistically, either your bench or you'll have to commit to a formation (another two transfers).

Also, speaking of defence, your defence scored a total of 98 points, while mine scored 115 (yes I made the effort to add it all up :D ) in 8 rounds now. Over the course of a season this difference in GK/DEF points between you and I would grow to 81 points at this rate, and the price difference between our starting GK/DEF quartet is only 2.8! This alone offsets the Sanchez VS Mane difference. So why not upgrade that instead of relying on the defensive capabilities of the likes of Leicester, Aston VIlla and West Ham?
It's a moot point, because I have had Sánchez and about 3.5m itb for a while. I chose not to use it for different reasons, but up until this GW I could've had your defence plus Sánchez.

I'm not saying you are wrong, you've done better than me so far after all, but imo it's worth it to cut a bit from your defence, 5th mid etc. to fit in a firing Sánchez, especially with all these budget options at our disposal.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

If you've done well without Aguero and Sanchez up to this point then all credit to you.

Now both have started to find the back of the net, it would be a brave move to ignore both given their history.

Having two genuine captain options week in week out could prove the difference, and given their explosive returns are no accident, nor few and far between, the question is can the spread of funds elsewhere and the alternatives match Aguero and Sanchez's output and double captain points over the course of a season?

Also taking into account that it can be assumed that Sanchez and Aguero owners will also have a few of those same alternatives thus slightly negating their point advantage.

You also have a much harder decision to make captain wise if choosing between numerous cheaper options with less explosive potential.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”