To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Kolarov Situation

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Roope
Red & Blue Braces

Re: The Kolarov Situation

Post by Roope »

NoEyeDeer wrote:
Roope wrote:So looking at City defenders, who'se the most certain starter? Any inside information? Kompany?
I'm not sure if this was a serious question, but yes, Kompany is the most nailed on defender and captain.
Stupid question perhaps, but the context being "Manchester City’s Vincent Kompany says he will defy Manuel Pellegrini again " (The Guardian, 26.10.) and related issues. Didn't start today either, but that's just League Cup rotation.

Anyways, with Kompany back he seems like a better long term choice than Kolarov.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Notned wrote:If Zabaletta's injury is as serious as it sounds, Sagna is now well on my radar. Especially at that price.

With Clichy not featuring tonight, probably makes Kolarov safer for those who held him too.
Not sure he's necessarily a bargain, though an option for sure. Sagna's lack of attacking points means relying mostly on clean sheets, with Kolarov the added bonus was his decent potential attacking returns.

umistboy
Treebeard

Post by umistboy »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:
Notned wrote:If Zabaletta's injury is as serious as it sounds, Sagna is now well on my radar. Especially at that price.

With Clichy not featuring tonight, probably makes Kolarov safer for those who held him too.
Not sure he's necessarily a bargain, though an option for sure. Sagna's lack of attacking points means relying mostly on clean sheets, with Kolarov the added bonus was his decent potential attacking returns.
Is that the Sagna who has more PL assists than Kolarov so far this season?

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Yes, and Mahrez is also better than Hazard... :wink:

And I hope you pick the Agbonlahor who has more assists than Agüero. :lol:
Last edited by Carlos Kickaball on 28 Oct 2015, 22:32, edited 3 times in total.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:

It depends on news about Zabaleta and Clichy. Which one of them is more injured? If Zabaleta is ruled out for a long period and Clichy coming back soon, then I would say Sagna is more nailed option than Kolarov and therefore a better FPL pick.

Although as a non-Kolarov owner I'm starting to be a bit frustrated with Clichy and I'm actually starting to think whether he will be back before Christmas. Or actually ever :roll:

Interesting thing with Sagna is his bonus point potential. He has received nine bonus points in four games despite just one assist.
Carlos Kickaball wrote:Yes, and Mahrez is also better than Hazard... ;)
Call me knee-jerker but I genuinely think Mahrez has a decent chance to score more FPL points than Hazard from this day until the season ends :roll:

Paul_Football
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Paul_Football »

Went for Sagna when everyone and their aunt was picking up Koralov and have to say I haven't been disappointed. Seems to collect a lot of bonus points and pops up with an assist every once in a while. I hope he can keep his place all season tbh.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Paul_Football wrote:Went for Sagna when everyone and their aunt was picking up Koralov and have to say I haven't been disappointed. Seems to collect a lot of bonus points and pops up with an assist every once in a while. I hope he can keep his place all season tbh.
Looks like you may have been fortunate with the Zab injury. Welcome to the forum!!!

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Welcome, Can I join The Guild of Paul Football Connoisseurs? :lol:

Paul_Football
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Paul_Football »

Stemania wrote:
Paul_Football wrote:Went for Sagna when everyone and their aunt was picking up Koralov and have to say I haven't been disappointed. Seems to collect a lot of bonus points and pops up with an assist every once in a while. I hope he can keep his place all season tbh.
Looks like you may have been fortunate with the Zab injury. Welcome to the forum!!!
I had some Chelsea coverage at the start that were giving me horrible returns. Needed to shake it up.
Carlos Kickaball wrote:Welcome, Can I join The Guild of Paul Football Connoisseurs? :lol:

Thank you :lol: and my wolf pack... it grew by one.

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

If Zabaleta is injured then Kolarov -> Sagna is an easy transfer once Clichy is back.

That's if you think City are worth holding onto defensively.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

If I have to sell Kolarov then there will be a number of options to replace him. Sagna would be among them but he might not be the default choice when thinking of funding Aguero.

Curmudgeon
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Curmudgeon »

+1

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

Curmudgeon wrote:

+1
I've been meaning to get rid of one of Kolarov/Sagna for weeks now but haven't got around to it because it just wasn't clear which one should go with all the knocks and uncertainty about playing time.
Lucky me, maybe... not banking on the CS but a better chance than many I suppose. :D

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

I'm not sure why people are 100% certain that when Clichy comes back there will be significant rotation. Historically, yes, Pellegrini has rotated at left back but didn't Kolarov play the last 8 or so games last season when Clichy was fit (I am not certain of my facts here but I seem to remember reading it somewhere - possibly even in this thread though I cannot find it now)? If true, it seems to me this is an indication that he possibly considers Kolarov as first choice now and I think Kolarov's performances this season could well have strengthened that. I am not saying I think there will be no rotation at all but we may see the end of the one week on, one week off rotation of City left backs.

Just my opinion but I will certainly not be looking to transfer out Kolarov unless it becomes clear he will be subject to significant rotation.

Edit - looks like he played the last 6 league games, 2 of which Clichy was on the bench for, so not sure if he was fully fit then or not.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

I would say I'm 80-90% certain, just by what has happened in the past. Clichy may not be fit for a little longer, and may be eased in, but I'd expect some kind of rotation.

umistboy
Treebeard

Post by umistboy »

umistboy wrote:
Carlos Kickaball wrote:

Is that the Sagna who has more PL assists than Kolarov so far this season?
Carlos Kickaball wrote:Yes, and Mahrez is also better than Hazard... :wink:

And I hope you pick the Agbonlahor who has more assists than Agüero. :lol:
Can't help but feel that you're now starting to argue a very different point to the one I attempted to make; that "Sagna's lack of attacking points means relying mostly on clean sheets" is hard to argue when the facts suggest differently.

I'm in no way trying to argue who's the better player or make any points about other players.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

I get it. I know that Sagna has more assists (and fewer goals) than Kolarov this season, but I don't think that means Sagna is more of an attacking threat than Kolarov, or indeed a big attacking threat. The other points are just to show how unusual I feel the argument is.

To put it into Perspective:

Sagna has 1 assist in and 0 goals in 1551 minutes for City. That is 0.174 attacking points per 90.
Kolarov has 20 assists and 8 goals in 7867 minutes for City. That is 1.236 attacking points per 90.

Kolarov has been scoring attacking points at 7 times the rate of Sagna, averaging more than a point per 90 minutes more just on attacking output. :shock:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

But that was before Sterling arrived? (stir, stir)

umistboy
Treebeard

Post by umistboy »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:I get it. I know that Sagna has more assists (and fewer goals) than Kolarov this season, but I don't think that means Sagna is more of an attacking threat than Kolarov, or indeed a big attacking threat. The other points are just to show how unusual I feel the argument is.

To put it into Perspective:

Sagna has 1 assist in and 0 goals in 1551 minutes for City. That is 0.174 attacking points per 90.
Kolarov has 20 assists and 8 goals in 7867 minutes for City. That is 1.236 attacking points per 90.

Kolarov has been scoring attacking points at 7 times the rate of Sagna, averaging more than a point per 90 minutes more just on attacking output. :shock:
I understand and agree that Kolarov is more of an attacking threat than Sagna - I 100% agree.

But your statement "Sagna's lack of attacking points means relying mostly on clean sheets" suggests Sagna has hardly any attacking threat at all. That was what I was contesting.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

I don't think 1 assist from 1551 minutes is particularly good. Though I've looked at some of the chance creation stats from this season.

This isn't a full list, but I've basically trimmed it to some FPL relevant fullbacks.

Min per chance created.

Moreno 33
Kolarov 54
Francis 60
Cédric 60
Naughton 70
Janmaat 80
Davies 83
Hutton 84
Bellerín 85
Cresswell 87
Sagna 94
Johnson 103
Dawson 135
Billy Jones 152
Clyne 159
Azpili 230
Nyom 440

Last season Sagna's was 87, so similar to where he is now. Certainly not terrible and maybe I was a little harsh, but I do think that with Sagna you are much more concerned about whether City will keep clean sheets. :)

In terms of goal threat, Sagna has had 2 shots in the PL in 1551 minutes in his Manchester City career.

My main point was really that the difference between Sagna and Kolarov, means that although Kolarov is often good value at 5.5-6.1m, Sagna is more of a consideration than an automatic pick at 5.4m.
Last edited by Carlos Kickaball on 29 Oct 2015, 15:24, edited 6 times in total.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

I own Moreno, Kolarov and Bellerin - what a list

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I wonder if comeback by Clichy would be an advantage for Kolarov at first - maybe Clichy is eased back, increasing the likelihood of Kolarov being subbed off at 60+ minutes? :lol:

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:Min per chance created.
Nice list. Do you have one with minutes per goal attempts for all defenders?

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:I get it. I know that Sagna has more assists (and fewer goals) than Kolarov this season, but I don't think that means Sagna is more of an attacking threat than Kolarov, or indeed a big attacking threat. The other points are just to show how unusual I feel the argument is.
The actual output of goals and assists is far too small for defenders to be compelling. But you are 100% correct regarding the underlying numbers.

Kolarov averages 1.3 shots, 0.4 shots in the box, and 1.7 CC per 90 minutes played this year.
Sagna is at 0.1, 0.1, and 0.9.

Needless to say, Kolarov is more threatening. Threatening enough to justify the extra cost? Not certain.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

"Clichy could be back next week"

Why do I have déjà vu feeling? Does anyone here believe he actually could be back next week?

I think it's time to bring in Kolarov. FPL is about "here and now", no reason to wait if Clichy could be back at some day.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Finisher1 wrote:"Clichy could be back next week"

Why do I have déjà vu feeling? Does anyone here believe he actually could be back next week?

I think it's time to bring in Kolarov. FPL is about "here and now", no reason to wait if Clichy could be back at some day.
I agree. When Kolarov becomes a liability he simply gets transferred. For the time being he is the best rated defender based on potential alone imo.

Curmudgeon
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Curmudgeon »

The best thing about this weekend is likely to be that both Kolarov and Sagna look like they may rise tonight (what is in the heads of some people!) so I can take my profits and run to a couple of reliable full backs, like Tuanzebe or Alfei, who don't score any points either, but are cheap, and don't disappoint you in the last five minutes!

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Surely the fact that he happened to miss a penalty today doesn't actually have much effect on his future returns? Sounds like the Norwich goal was just a freak blunder by Hart too. Could very easily have been a 15-point performance if these two incidents had gone the way we hoped.

Kotzata
Treebeard
FS Record: 47k, 40k, 33k, 379k, 40k

Post by Kotzata »

I captained him today :P

I feel every time I make the popular and conventional move - the unorthodox punt pays out; every time I make a risky decision, it backfires and the conventional popular move happens.

Also sold Mahrez two weeks ago, could've played wiser this season I guess

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Captaining Kolarov was a little unlucky but you weren't destroyed as De Bruyne didn't cane it. Getting rid of Mahrez was not unlucky.

If Clichy's back in the next week to 10 days, I'm glad I sold. It's when Kolarov starts coming on for cameos that he becomes a waste of space. Not saying if I owned him, I wouldn't keep with their fixtures; just that he'll become someone who's not even close to a must have. One needs to have a least 3 other playing defenders to cover, probably 4.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”