To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Kolarov Situation

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

The Kolarov Situation

Post by MPTree »

Is it any different this season? Clichy's name wasn't even on the team sheet vs. Everton, though I'm not sure why.

At 5.6 (and likely rising tonight) he's surely a must-have if he can hold a place. So the question is, can he? And where is Clichy?

acruxen
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 14/15: 1078

Re: The Kolarov Situation

Post by acruxen »

After seeing Clichy miss out on a place in the match day squad, bringing in Kolarov seems to have been a shrewd move.

I was deciding between Kompany and Kolarov and went with Kompany, solely due to rotation risk. Whilst there is no risk right now, there will be when UCL starts, assuming Clichy is still alive.

Since I have already played my wildcard, I don't want an issue to arise where I have an injury crisis and a non playing Kolarov to deal with a month down the road.

digibee
Kevin and Perry

Post by digibee »

Hi, I wonder Kolarov will be a regular at Man City too;
Any inputs or anyone knows something?

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

digibee wrote:Hi, I wonder Kolarov will be a regular at Man City too;
Any inputs or anyone knows something?
It's been mentioned in the forum multiple times in various threads, but I'll outline it again here as simply as possible for you and others: :wink:

The negatives:

- In previous seasons Kolarov has always been under threat by Clichy, and may still be once Clichy is back to full fitness (which we are unsure of at this stage due to his exclusion in gw3 and previous injury)

- This means Kolarov could lose his place at anytime, especially for 'tougher' fixtures, where Clichy is considered a stronger defensive alternative in that position, ie. Kolarov is POTENTIALLY NOT NAILED ON

- In previous seasons, Kolarov's attacking nature has allowed opposition teams to exploit the space left behind him, and on numerous occasions this caused his team all sorts of problems as he struggled to track back in time and perform his defensive duties.]

- He has been very solid defensively early on, but there's enough attacking talent in the MC squad, that if that defensive part of his game starts to drop off, it may be time to plan an exit route

The positives:

- Clichy still seems to be a doubt, and even if fit, will need time to get up to match fitness

- This should at a minimum allow Kolarov a few more starts over the coming weeks, even if Clichy steals a few late minutes off him to gain that fitness

- Kolarov is playing the best football of his career at this early stage

- That includes outstanding defensive displays, where he has seemed to be everywhere, and regularly tracking back to help his defensive teammates by fulfilling his duties and then some (perhaps fitter and stronger this season?)

- Sterling's addition to the squad has been a massive plus also, as Sterling's ability to track back has helped Kolarov in those times he may be caught out (although from what I've seen this is less of a reason behind Kolarov's early good form, and rather Kolarov's ability to track back quickly has improved tenfold)

- Kolarov's form and stats suggest he is undroppable at the moment, and with 3 clean sheets to go with the chances created and finished, one would think it is now his place to lose at the moment

- He is on a few set pieces (including some direct free kicks), and has one of the best left foot crosses and shots in the league

- When he plays he is tireless in attack, and very rarely goes a game without creating chances or taking a few shots

- If he was 100% nailed on, he would probably be priced at 7-7.5mil as a defender, therefore is a bargain price IF he can nail down his place

- From a FPL perspective, he will make you money over the coming weeks, even if he doesn't end up being nailed on

As you can see, there is still no definitive answer to your question, as there are still a few unknowns at play, and quite a few 'new' do knows in play. If we base the answer to your question on past seasons, then the answer is simply no. However, this season we are seeing a much improved player all round, the addition of Sterling, and Clichy's fitness issues, therefore we can't say if things will now be different.

The positives at the moment much outweigh the negatives, but at the end of the day it all comes down to what you think is the best decision for your team when it comes to selecting him.

So to answer your question, YES he is nailed on 'at the moment', but NO he may not be nailed on. :wink:

Does that clear things up? :lol:

digibee
Kevin and Perry

Post by digibee »

Thanks alot for the comprehensive input.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

NoEyeDeer pretty much summed it up above. (Great post by the way)

I think in summary, his huge potential upside outweighs the negatives, so he's definitely worthy of consideration. Just make sure you have adequate back up elsewhere in defence, just in case.

I've wildcarded him in this week.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

digibee wrote:Thanks alot for the comprehensive input.
You're welcome. :D
Notned wrote:NoEyeDeer pretty much summed it up above. (Great post by the way)

I think in summary, his huge potential upside outweighs the negatives, so he's definitely worthy of consideration. Just make sure you have adequate back up elsewhere in defence, just in case.

I've wildcarded him in this week.
Thanks.

It's just unfortunate that I'm one of those people who can't convince myself of my own advice. :lol:

Needless to say I chickened out on Kolarov with my WC last gw, and instead went with Kompany even though every fabric of my being was telling me to pick Kolarov. :?

My own advice above just confirmed to myself I made the wrong decision, and although it will hurt watching Kolarov dismantle Watford this gw, I have to wait one more gw to bring him in, and I will bring him in. Even if he's at 6mil by then. :roll:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Excellent post NoEyeDeer.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Good stuck NoEyeDeer; pulled the trigger on Kolarov last night.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

I expected Kolarov to be in most teams to start the season. People always say he'd be in every team if he was nailed on. He was nailed on for the first 3-4 weeks so why wasn't he in yours?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

gallus wrote:I expected Kolarov to be in most teams to start the season. People always say he'd be in every team if he was nailed on. He was nailed on for the first 3-4 weeks so why wasn't he in yours?
Because he wasn't nailed on? Clichy was only yellow flagged at the start of the season so it was reasonable to expect the usual rotation to start given the history.

I think Sammy did in fact go with him from the start however so it was discussed, albeit quite briefly.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

I thought Clichy wasn't training with the team in August? Combined with the fact that Kolarov started the last 5-6 games last season this suggested that Kolarov was nailed at the start.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Mav3rick wrote:
gallus wrote:I expected Kolarov to be in most teams to start the season. People always say he'd be in every team if he was nailed on. He was nailed on for the first 3-4 weeks so why wasn't he in yours?
Because he wasn't nailed on? Clichy was only yellow flagged at the start of the season so it was reasonable to expect the usual rotation to start given the history.
+1 Exactly this.

There is also the fact that City were not brilliant defensively last year and faced Everton away and Chelsea at home in 2 of their early fixtures; out of the 19 teams City could play, that's at home to the top scorers last season and away to the 7th, not exactly excellent fixtures for clean sheets.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

gallus wrote:I thought Clichy wasn't training with the team in August? Combined with the fact that Kolarov started the last 5-6 games last season this suggested that Kolarov was nailed at the start.
If I remember correctly, I think he had some sort of minor ankle or thigh strain or something that kept him out of the last pre-season friendly. That gave Kolarov the first game most likely, but "nailed on" was then (and is still) not the term I would use. I bought him in last week, but I still expect him to be rotated at some point.
Last edited by Mav3rick on 25 Aug 2015, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

Crooker
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Crooker »

He seems to have developed a very good relationship with Sterling on that left wing which allows him to push up even further - with Sterling often occupying two opposition defenders

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

But Kolarov is in your team for goals and assists, not just clean sheets (though WBA A and CHE H are great fixtures for clean sheets because they both park the bus against City).

Yes he will be rotated eventually, but until he is I'm happy to hold. He brought me almost one fifth of my total points this season! :D

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

They've won nine in a row with Kolarov in the side and they're comfortably the form side.

Pellegrini would be a mug to rotate at this point.

For the first time I can remember under Pellegrini they look solid at the back.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

NoEyeDeer wrote:That includes outstanding defensive displays, where he has seemed to be everywhere, and regularly tracking back to help his defensive teammates by fulfilling his duties and then some (perhaps fitter and stronger this season?)

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

The next two games will tell a lot IMO, if hes going to give Clichy a run it maybe against Watford at home or just after the international break heading into the CL.

Corroded Soul
Treebeard

Post by Corroded Soul »

MPTree wrote:Is it any different this season? Clichy's name wasn't even on the team sheet vs. Everton, though I'm not sure why.

At 5.6 (and likely rising tonight) he's surely a must-have if he can hold a place. So the question is, can he? And where is Clichy?
He's injured but I think this season Kolarov has almost nailed the left-back berth. And as someone already wrote, there is a blossoming relationship with Sterling that could become potent.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Corroded Soul wrote:blossoming relationship with Sterling
Replace Silva with Sterling and you probably make any player look better, relatively speaking. :wink:

He'll be in my team for the forseeable now I expect - with this run of fixtures his points potential looks high enough for a 5.6m investment to absorb the odd missed game and still be worthwhile. :)

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

If your squad is good enough and you have two 4.5 defenders benched then you can ride out the GW that potential rotation happens and deal with it from there anyway.

Well worth the minimal risk, best form of his career as NoEyeDeer said.

digibee
Kevin and Perry

Post by digibee »

Hi, I am currently having

Kompany, Toure, Aquero

Now thinking of having

Kompany, Kolarov, Aquero

What's your thoughts?

Thanks.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

For me because City looked laughable defensively in the preseason. I know it's the preseason, but they looked so, so very bad. No, they didn't have Fernandinho at all who seems to be THE key defensively for them, but that's why I didn't have him. Plus, at 5.5, he was really hard to justify over Darmian/Shaw or Metresacker/Bellerin.

Obviously, that was a poor choice but it's why I didn't take him. My city player of choice was Sterling who has been superb on the pitch but virtually worthless from a fantasy perspective.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

The Toon Man wrote:If your squad is good enough and you have two 4.5 defenders benched then you can ride out the GW that potential rotation happens and deal with it from there anyway.

Well worth the minimal risk, best form of his career as NoEyeDeer said.
The problem with Kolarov isn't just rotation, it's the fact the even when rotated he often comes in as a sub. Last season, 5 of his 21 appearances were as a sub. The year before, it was 9 of 30. That's why his PPG the past two seasons are just 4.4 and 3.9, respectively. Compare that to Azpilicueta who wasn't subbed on at all last year and just 3 time in 28 the year prior. When you took Kolarov the past two seasons, you were setting yourself up for some big hauls when he started but also a 1 point appearance once every 3 or 4 games. It was enough to make others more valuable.

This season may be different and he certainly looks nailed for the time being. If I were on WC I would have him without question. I am not at the moment so will have to wait at least another week.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

digibee wrote:Hi, I am currently having

Kompany, Toure, Aquero

Now thinking of having

Kompany, Kolarov, Aquero

What's your thoughts?

Thanks.
Are you wildcarding now?

If yes, then it makes sense. If not, then I think it is not worth of two transfers.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I'm reluctant to get involved with Kolorov. Just feel like it's all been seen before, although it has paid off so far with clichy missing and will likely continue until that changes.

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

According to this, Kolarov looks nailed for next 6-7 weeks:

https://mobile.twitter.com/andyhampson/ ... 0746362880

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: The Kolarov Situation

Post by Sammy the Crab »

gooberman wrote:According to this, Kolarov looks nailed for next 6-7 weeks:

https://mobile.twitter.com/andyhampson/ ... 0746362880
Just logged on to post this, glorious news! :)

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Looks like he'll be firmly on my radar for next weeks transfer in.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”