To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Which 5-5.5m defender to go for?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Clyne
26%
Darmian
8%
Cresswell
4%
Fonte
3%
Mertesacker
14%
Kolarov
1%
Bellerin
4%
Alderweireld
4%
Cédric
33%
Lescott
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 80

sir_skillalot
Treebeard

Post by sir_skillalot »

There seems to be a few good options at this price point but which one to go for? Clyne is in a whopping 43% of teams at the minute but I've not seen him in many RMTs. Is Mert nailed on? Is Cédric going to do the same as Clyne last season?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: Which 5-5.5m defender to go for?

Post by Mav3rick »

At 5.5 I think I'd still back Darmian despite LvG's weird comments the other day, unless something happens to Clichy. Clyne could push him close but Liverpool will probably have a leakier defence.

At 5.0 I think hopping on and off is the best approach, but there are some great options in that category. I'd probably pick PvA at first (fixtures) or Cedric (more solid team, pretty decent fixtures).

sir_skillalot
Treebeard

Post by sir_skillalot »

If we were just looking at clean sheet potential I would go with Mert. For going forward I'm on Clyne at the min but could be tempted into Darmian when I've seen how United set up, he just feels a bit more of a punt at the min as Clyne has zero competition for position

Corroded Soul
Treebeard

Post by Corroded Soul »

The last three are 5.0 but I pick Clyne and add Stones.

sir_skillalot
Treebeard

Post by sir_skillalot »

Is that on the assumption that Stones is going to Chelsea and get game time? Surely if you fancy an Everton defender you'd go with Jagielka as he's got a bit more goal threat than Stones?

P.S I know the last 3 are 5m, that's why the title is 5-5.5m defenders :D

Corroded Soul
Treebeard

Post by Corroded Soul »

sir_skillalot wrote:Is that on the assumption that Stones is going to Chelsea and get game time? Surely if you fancy an Everton defender you'd go with Jagielka as he's got a bit more goal threat than Stones?

P.S I know the last 3 are 5m, that's why the title is 5-5.5m defenders :D
So it is, sorry, I do not read at all well. :oops:

Yes to Stones because I have Jagielka and not Stones in my draft.

If you had just two Chelsea players and Stones goes it could be alright, similar Cahill (Bolton) before.

arv
Treebeard

Post by arv »

Bellerin for me. He has great attacking potential and should be first choice at least heading into the season.

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

Why are people picking Darmian over Shaw? Shaw is the same price, more nailed on and is proven in the league.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Shaw is more proven on the treatment table...

I currently have Fuchs in my team, although I (automatically and subconsciously) picked Kolarov above ;)

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

From4corners wrote:Shaw is more proven on the treatment table...
He's not injured right now, so you're saying he's likely to get injured again soon? Why? He had one injury hit season, that hardly means he is injury prone.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

TheChairLeg wrote:Why are people picking Darmian over Shaw? Shaw is the same price, more nailed on and is proven in the league.
From what I've read, Shaw is far from nailed on. He has competition from Rojo and Blind at left back (since nobody seems to know quite how Man Utd are going to lineup in defence, especially as they are linked to signing centrebacks). Darmian has competition from Valencia of course, but I think that's less competition than Shaw faces.

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

Mav3rick wrote:From what I've read, Shaw is far from nailed on. He has competition from Rojo and Blind at left back (since nobody seems to know quite how Man Utd are going to lineup in defence, especially as they are linked to signing centrebacks). Darmian has competition from Valencia of course, but I think that's less competition than Shaw faces.
I agree that Man U's defence is up in the air, but as it stands Rojo is surely a first choice CB? With the new signings in midfield Blind does become more of a concern but I don't feel he offers more fierce competition than Valencia poses to Darmian.
As Shaw has already played a full season in the PL, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season while Darmian is eased in from the bench.

Right now I don't have much interest in a £5.5m defender, but the last few pre-season games may shed a bit more light on this for those interested.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Yes, I agree, as it stands I would presume Rojo is a first choice centre back, but they are constantly linked with centre backs and I'm sure one will come in then who knows what that does to Rojo. They are all a risk to a degree but I'd go with Darmian if I was forced to chose - I just can't see Valencia keeping him out of the team for long.

In reality though there is enough doubt that it's pretty unlikely I'll start with anyone from their back line.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

LVG has been singing the praises of shaw:
“Luke Shaw is a big talent. He’s very young so it’s not so easy for him to come from Southampton to as big a club as Manchester United,” said Van Gaal. “I think that it shall be the season of Luke Shaw, that I believe"
I think Shaw is a cracking player and has looked good pre season, but as others have mentioned his fitness record is a concern. That being said, he's clearly first choice and I believe that the midfield players united have bought will make them a much more solid unit this season so should be more clean sheets.

Not decided yet but if I go with a united defender then Shaw will be my choice.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

arv wrote:Bellerin for me. He has great attacking potential and should be first choice at least heading into the season.
This is my thinking too but I've seen far more of Koscielny at £6.0m in people's RMTs.
Bellerin did play about the last 8 games of last season for Arsenal but I'm a tad nervous about being caught out and wasting an early transfer. Might go Koscielny and then switch if possible.

sponduly
Treebeard

Post by sponduly »

The comment from VG would suggest that Shaw is nailed on at LB, but I'm still not convinced the United defence offers any clean sheet guarantees.

I'll probably wait until after United's Champs League qualifier, before deciding whether I want any United defenders in my team (even with their attacking potential)

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Mertesacker looks the best bet to me

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Never mind Shaw FFS, why is everyone choosing Cedric?

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Because he's the cheapest nailed on Southampton defender

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

asm_fanz wrote:Because he's the cheapest nailed on Southampton defender
Ah, he (et al) have replaced 50m worth of Alderweireld, Clyne and Schneiderlin. I see.
Magic.

Corroded Soul
Treebeard

Post by Corroded Soul »

Wonder what price Caulker will be and whether he will be just central defensive cover.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Right now, Cédric. On the long run, I rate Lescott.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

I just picked Shaw to my team.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

PVA, in for fixtures in first 3 weeks, and then review. Either keep, punt, or look at either option as part of a maybe WC

RabishBini
Cheetah

Post by RabishBini »

No love for Darmian? From what I read he seems likely to go straight into the team... Likewise Janmaat?

EDIT: Also, thought on Ogbonna for West Ham?
Last edited by RabishBini on 30 Jul 2015, 09:44, edited 2 times in total.

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

What about Eric Dier from Spurs (5.0)? I've just read he'd been training in midfield this summer and this night he played in starting XI in midfield against MLS.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

RabishBini wrote:No love for Darmian? From what I read he seems likely to go straight into the team... Likewise Janmaat?

EDIT: Also, thought on Ogbonna for West Ham?
Janmaat will be a good option at some point, but Newcastle have awful fixtures to start which renders him a wait and see for me.
vendzol wrote:What about Eric Dier from Spurs (5.0)? I've just read he'd been training in midfield this summer and this night he played in starting XI in midfield against MLS.
Could be a good option if OOP, but I would argue that a defender is more likely to be in the points playing at CB than holding midfield. Prefer Alderweireld at that price, particularly if they are going to be afforded a bit more protection from midfield. Possibly increases Bentaleb's attractiveness as fifth mid, though.

mawwam
Treebeard

Post by mawwam »

What's peoples thoughts on Fuchs at Leicester? 5.0m too pricey for a Leicester defender? I'm thinking of his apparent attacking ability!

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I can't see past Pulis and West Brom at 5.0.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

mawwam wrote:What's peoples thoughts on Fuchs at Leicester? 5.0m too pricey for a Leicester defender? I'm thinking of his apparent attacking ability!
Saw them play last week, and he and Schlupp played a half each. Schlupp looked by far the more dangerous of the two. Only one game, granted, but as it's all I have to go on I wouldn't be surprised if they were rotated now and again. Personally, I much prefer the security of Huth at .5m less, at least to begin with.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”