To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Arsenal Midfield

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Arsenal Mids

Ozil
22%
Ramsey
15%
Cazorla
22%
Walcott
37%
Other
4%

Total votes: 157

mitchyg1980
FISOhead

Re: Arsenal Midfield

Post by mitchyg1980 »

I've got Cazorla too at the moment, although there's just too many options. Can't help thinking Giroud should be in the mixer too

Ricardo81
Wideboy
FS Record: 0

Post by Ricardo81 »

Noticed Ozil playing further foward in the friendly v Lyon - almost up alongside Giroud in a 4-4-2 at times. Ozil certainly looks stronger and quicker.

Cazorla and Ozil are probably the safe picks in Arsenal's midfield.

One player not on this list is Oxlade-Chamberlain, I think this could be a big season for him. He won't really be competing with Ramsey and Wilshere for places as Oz will(should) be sued on the wing before either of these two. Wenger has all but said Ox will start the season on the wing because of the extra rest for Sanchez.

Terry Henry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: See me after class!

Post by Terry Henry »

Looks like Walcott up top today. Let's see what he can do.

thekitkatshuffler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thekitkatshuffler »

Arsenal 0-0 Wolfsburg
Posted at 23 mins

Big chance for Arsenal.

Theo Walcott gets behind the Wolfsburg defence. There are red and white shirts lining up for the pass but the forward decides to have a pop himself...and the keeper blocks.

Arsene Wenger doesn't look happy that Walcott decided to go alone.

26 mins
The Gunners are starting to take control.

A huge kick by Petr Cech almost sets up a chance but Mesut Ozil's pass to Theo Walcott is poor.

Then a delicious pass by Jack Wilshere sets up Walcott, the England man caught dithering on the ball when he should have at least tested the keeper.

Arsenal 0-0 Wolfsburg
Posted at 35 mins

The good news for Arsenal is that Theo Walcott has the ball in the back of the Wolfsburg net.

The bad news? He's miles off-side.

thekitkatshuffler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thekitkatshuffler »

GOAL
Arsenal 1-0 Wolfsburg - Theo Walcott
Posted at 49 mins

It's taken 49 minutes but, believe me, it was worth the wait.

Theo Walcott stabs home with the outside of his boot after a delightful pass by Jeff Reine-Adelaide.

It must have been good because Arsene Wenger is out of his seat and applauding.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Ricardo81 wrote:Ozil certainly looks stronger and quicker.
Ozil is the sort of player who would look good in July. Wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him personally.

CupidStunt000
FISOhead

Post by CupidStunt000 »

Red Eye wrote:
Ozil is the sort of player who would look good in July. Wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him personally.
I'm not sure why TBH. He scored very slightly less PPG (not sure) / PP90 (5.5 vs 5.6) as Cazorla last season. He's more nailed on than Cazorla. His form towards the end of the season was improved. His form since the season seems to have improved. He's playing in a more attacking role and seems to be more involved in all of Arsenals attacking moves. Admittedly he took a while to adapt and so was initially inconsistent but now that he seems to have adapted that inconsistency seems to have faded and I can't see any reason to not trust him as a viable pick.

I do have an Arsenal bias but at the moment I'm planning on Walcott + Ozil.

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

I'm in the camp that Walcott is pretty much a must have until Sanchez is ready to play 90. That will near enough coincide with the end of the transfer window (by which time they may also have a new striker) and probably my wildcard.

But after that, i'm really not sure that I would take any of the Arse midfield whilst there is so much competition for places. It's a real rarity for Wenger to have everyone fit at the same time and the whole of that midfield just looks too interchangeable.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

CupidStunt000 wrote:I do have an Arsenal bias but at the moment I'm planning on Walcott + Ozil.
I have currently both of them in my team :D

zerinot
Red & Blue Braces

Post by zerinot »

CupidStunt000 wrote:
Red Eye wrote:
I'm not sure why TBH. He scored very slightly less PPG (not sure) / PP90 (5.5 vs 5.6) as Cazorla last season. He's more nailed on than Cazorla. His form towards the end of the season was improved. His form since the season seems to have improved. He's playing in a more attacking role and seems to be more involved in all of Arsenals attacking moves. Admittedly he took a while to adapt and so was initially inconsistent but now that he seems to have adapted that inconsistency seems to have faded and I can't see any reason to not trust him as a viable pick.

I do have an Arsenal bias but at the moment I'm planning on Walcott + Ozil.
i dont have the stats from different parts of the season, but would suspect cazorla playing futher forward and getting a bigger share of free kicks and corners until özil came back from injury raised his PPM, would be interresting if anyone had it calculated.
Özil and sanchez is probably also the 2 offensive players, wenger would rotate least when ready in my opinion .

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I think :shock:zil is set for a big season personally, he had always been decent but showed real improvement towards his world class potential In the latter part of the season, and looks to be picking up where he left off. Walcott has a massive potential, particularly if a striker doesn't come in, and whilst Sanchez is being reintroduced. Could be a real difference maker for the first few weeks and maybe beyond.

Maybe I am rose tinted but initially these are likely to be my first choice midfielders from all clubs in their price bracket. Whether I have 2 spots available is another debate, and at the moment I would favour :shock:zil. I see Walcott as a gamble but one likely to pay off. It's just a matter of how long for, as a big striker could come in, or Giroud may be playing well, in which case Walcott's place will be rotated when Sanchez returns. There are question marks.

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Arsenal look like they have so many goals in them at the moment, if I downgrade Costa to Giroud I could fit in both Walcott and Ozil, don't really want to lose Costa though. Would that be overkill having 3 arsenal attacking players?

Brunauge
Treebeard

Post by Brunauge »

I just got rid of Costa, downgraded to Giroud and freed up space in midfield.

Chelsea can be known to park the bus, Costa doesnt often get bonus points, prone to yellow cards, and is not that consistent.

Sure, last season he scored 7 goals in the first 4 games, but after that it was on and off, not a consistent captaincy choice.
Im not saying Giroud is either, but you at least save 2m.

Jason Bourne
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jason Bourne »

DanCaek wrote:I think :shock:zil is set for a big season personally, he had always been decent but showed real improvement towards his world class potential In the latter part of the season, and looks to be picking up where he left off. Walcott has a massive potential, particularly if a striker doesn't come in, and whilst Sanchez is being reintroduced. Could be a real difference maker for the first few weeks and maybe beyond.

Maybe I am rose tinted but initially these are likely to be my first choice midfielders from all clubs in their price bracket. Whether I have 2 spots available is another debate, and at the moment I would favour :shock:zil. I see Walcott as a gamble but one likely to pay off. It's just a matter of how long for, as a big striker could come in, or Giroud may be playing well, in which case Walcott's place will be rotated when Sanchez returns. There are question marks.
I agree about özil, he's looked very very sharp in preseason. He's always been class and if that quality starts to translate into FPL points he's massive value at 8.5m. Where are you ranking Özil, Walcott, and Ramsey as far as points potential for the first few gameweeks? All three have various pros and cons.

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

Ozil + Cazorla at the moment. The final decision will be made after ARS-CHE game.

rootcoors
FISOhead
FS Record: 21997

Post by rootcoors »

I'm guessing after the game yesterday its Walcott...

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

As someone mentioned it looks like Giroud will rotate with Theo. Of course Walcott could play as a winger, however there's Sanchez to come back at some point... Tough choice...

To be honest if Sanhcez, Ozil, Cazorla and Walcott were playing for different clubs each, they all could be in my XI. Now they're cannibalizing each other's points :/

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Any Arsenal-fans want to share some thoughts about the possibility that they play with to strikers, Giroud and Walcott?

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Walcott ain't a striker he's an athlete!

Hence the continual press speculation of Blind Pugh being in the market for another Striker.

Walcott,when given the chance to play as a central striker has fluffed every time.

He continually runs offside
He continually pushes the ball to far infront of his feet and loses possession.
He continually misses guilt edge opportunities.
He has about as much Ariel presence as a munchkin from the Wizard Of Oz.
He believes he is a better player than he is by a million miles

He is an better than average winger with blistering speed and if he didn't have the latter he wouldn't even be playing in the premiership imo.

I ve lost count the amount of times Walcott has fluffed easy opportunities for making the wrong choice.
He has ( due to his pace only),looked like a world beater on occasion when his pace and occasional slick finishing have resulted in a goal. But your probably talking about a ratio of less than 1/20 when that comes off. :D

His hatrick end of last season resulted in two runs from wing positions ( if memory serves me right and an umissable tap in )even though he started and was to supposed to of been playing the Central striking role.
Walcott playing as a central striker is a waste, end of.He's a poor mans Raheem sterling with similar attributes but Sterling is a footballer not just a 60 yard dash sprinter.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Terry Henry wrote:Currently got Cazorla and keep switching between Walcott and Ozil for the second spot. Will see what happens in their game today
Walcott scored :)

I personally think Walcott, Ozil and Carzorla are better picks than Rambo...

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

sleuth wrote:He is an better than average winger with blistering speed and if he didn't have the latter he wouldn't even be playing in the premiership imo.
But he has it, doesn't he? That makes it a worthless opinion.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Le Red wrote:
sleuth wrote:He is an better than average winger with blistering speed and if he didn't have the latter he wouldn't even be playing in the premiership imo.

Perhaps you ought to take the WENGER glasses off and go by an Arsenal supporters opinion who has never worn the glasses and attends home matches often.

Postby foxinthebox2001 » 27 Jul 2015, 15:54

Monreal has improved so must be first choice, Gibbs is still prone to getting caught out of position though neither are high on their international coaches agendas.
I was particularly interested in how Walcott played yesterday, as its fantasy football time again.
Despite scoring I was not too overawed with his contribution, still looks out of position playing central, lacks the physique and presence of even Giroud let alone a potential Benzema. There was one decent chance he had in the first half, almost away from the defender but didn't do the basic skill of getting himself between defender and ball and the tackle duly arrived.
He took his goal well, as Wolfsburg got caught on a break, but generally teams facing us sit back and don't easily get caught pushing up.
He may not get that amount of time and space in a competitive game, and where was the blistering pace he was once famous for?
If it was a choice for our current best option for central striker its Giroud, simply because he can hold and shield the ball better, if its for playing on the right its AOC, he uses his pace well and takes on fullbacks, injuries permitting.

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

sleuth wrote:
Le Red wrote:

Perhaps you ought to take the WENGER glasses off and go by an Arsenal supporters opinion who has never worn the glasses and attends home matches often.

Postby foxinthebox2001 » 27 Jul 2015, 15:54

Monreal has improved so must be first choice, Gibbs is still prone to getting caught out of position though neither are high on their international coaches agendas.
I was particularly interested in how Walcott played yesterday, as its fantasy football time again.
Despite scoring I was not too overawed with his contribution, still looks out of position playing central, lacks the physique and presence of even Giroud let alone a potential Benzema. There was one decent chance he had in the first half, almost away from the defender but didn't do the basic skill of getting himself between defender and ball and the tackle duly arrived.
He took his goal well, as Wolfsburg got caught on a break, but generally teams facing us sit back and don't easily get caught pushing up.
He may not get that amount of time and space in a competitive game, and where was the blistering pace he was once famous for?
If it was a choice for our current best option for central striker its Giroud, simply because he can hold and shield the ball better, if its for playing on the right its AOC, he uses his pace well and takes on fullbacks, injuries permitting.
... Interesting quote. It's just an opinion, of course, and I have no idea who the guy who wrote it is, or if his opinion is worth listening to.
But I'm really struggling to see what it has to do with Walcott as a "better than average winger"?
Even the quote admits he was playing out of position playing up front.
He has not looked great playing as striker, but it's not his best position and I doubt many would really argue that point from performances to date.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

sleuth wrote:
Le Red wrote:

Who said anything about Wenger? As long as Walcott scores fantasy points, who cares it's only due to his speed?

You said he wouldn't play in the Premiership if not for his speed. You just took out his greatest asset to underrate him as a player. What if I said Zidane wouldn't be a great player if not for his ball trapping, or Ronaldinho wouldn't be so good if not for his dribbling?

Walcott is fast, and if that makes him good for FPL, that's all I care about in a discussion about his FPL potential. Unless there were clear signs he's actually lost his pace, which would make it worth discussing if he could be a good player without so much speed. But that's not the case, is it?

tamagotchi massacre
Treebeard

Post by tamagotchi massacre »

Walcott obviously has other qualities besides his speed. Compare him to other speedy past-times flops like Wright-Phillips, Obertan, Grønkjær, Babel, Vassell, Rommedahl etc etc all of whom were singularly unable to control the ball, cross the ball and/or shoot the ball accurately, and Walcott's stats comfortably demonstrate he has a lot to offer apart from running fast.

Perhaps flop is a little harsh on some of those, but they all have glaring weaknesses.

JLH
FISOhead

Post by JLH »

Not this again..

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Le Red wrote:
sleuth wrote:
Le Red wrote:

Who said anything about Wenger? As long as Walcott scores fantasy points, who cares it's only due to his speed?

You said he wouldn't play in the Premiership if not for his speed. You just took out his greatest asset to underrate him as a player. What if I said Zidane wouldn't be a great player if not for his ball trapping, or Ronaldinho wouldn't be so good if not for his dribbling?
what a worthless analogy. If you read the posts previously an Arsenal supporter is questioning where has his speed gone? That is /perhaps was his only asset. How you can compare Zidane or Ronaldinho as so called 'One Trick Ponies ' which is afterall what Walcott is is laughable in the extreme.
Walcott is fast, and if that makes him good for FPL, that's all I care about in a discussion about his FPL potential. Unless there were clear signs he's actually lost his pace, which would make it worth discussing if he could be a good player without so much speed. But that's not the case, is it?
Read the posts above from a Supporter that attends the library jeeeezzzzzzz

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

sleuth wrote:
Le Red wrote:
sleuth wrote:
Le Red wrote:

what a worthless analogy. If you read the posts previously an Arsenal supporter is questioning where has his speed gone? That is /perhaps was his only asset. How you can compare Zidane or Ronaldinho as so called 'One Trick Ponies ' which is afterall what Walcott is is laughable in the extreme.
Read the posts above from a Supporter that attends the library jeeeezzzzzzz
I never compared him to anyone, I just used them as examples to show how unfair your "analysis" of Walcott is. By the way, what you transcribed before is the opinion of one supporter related to one match of preseason. Do you have evidence that he doesn't have as much speed as before?

I agree with Tamagotchi, Walcott offers more than speed, and his FPL numbers when he's fit and playing are amazing. To say he's a "one trick pony" and that he'd be even worse if not for his speed couldn't be more irrelevant for FPL purposes, which is the subject of the forum we're writing in. Your opinion is more well suited to some Arsenal forum. And that's all I have to say about it.
Last edited by Le Red on 28 Jul 2015, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

It's actually his summary of their last game.....

That being the one they played in 2 days ago..............

The report from Foxinthebox is dated.... :? Does mention yesterday .. :? and even mentions Wolfsburg..... :shock:

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Le Red »

sleuth wrote:It's actually his summary of their last game.....

That being the one they played in 2 days ago..............

The report from Foxinthebox is dated.... :? Does mention yesterday .. :? and even mentions Wolfsburg..... :shock:
That's right, somehow I managed to misread that and therefore some of what I said above is invalid. I'm editing it to avoid confusion among readers, but not before I apologize for taking things out of context.
Still, it's preseason and from what I've seen at the end of last season, Walcott didn't seem to be struggling to speed, and I don't think having a full preseason could have hindered that. Like I said, I think Walcott has more than just speed to offer, but speed is his main prowess, and were him to lose the pace, I'd definitely look elsewhere, but I don't see evidence of that.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”