To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The 4.5 mill. defender thread 15/16

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Re: The 4.5 mill. defender thread 15/16

Post by Vsz »

thekitkatshuffler wrote:
Bobby Chopps wrote:Yoshida will be a starter, won't he?
Only as things stand.

But Koeman has said they're looking to bring in 1 or 2 centre backs, so he won't be soon.
I saw his comment and got the impression that Yoshida will probably start as first choice and the new guys will be backup... hard to be certain though.

We'll be able to tell from the transfer fees I guess...

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

I just noticed that Miguel Layún plays for Watford! Although he has not scored for them last season, as well as not having started all their games (I wonder why), I do wonder if that will change this upcoming season as he is quite the (attacking) wing-back. Not sure what formation Watford will be playing though and where he will be deployed.

Curwinkle
FISOhead

Post by Curwinkle »

All my defenders are currently 4.5. Huth, Francis,Kaboul,Whittaker & Muniesa/ward, can't decide on that last one. It certainly enables a pretty strong front 8

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Curwinkle wrote:All my defenders are currently 4.5. Huth, Francis,Kaboul,Whittaker & Muniesa/ward, can't decide on that last one. It certainly enables a pretty strong front 8

Would go for Muniesa ahead of Ward, at least for the start. Assuming he is a starter that is. Ward is probably more nailed long term, but Stoke's opening fixtures are definitely stronger than Palace's. Would also probably take Bassong or Olsson (when fit) ahead of Whittaker, but that one is much of a muchness.

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

Andre Wisdom (£4.5m) to join Norwich on loan according to BBC Sport

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

redcat1 wrote:Andre Wisdom (£4.5m) to join Norwich on loan according to BBC Sport
Not getting trolled by Wisdom again! Although at 4m, I would have been undeniably tempted :wink:

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

I'm not interested in 4.5 Norwich defenders when I can get Sunderland and Stoke defenders at the same price.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Who rotates well with Leicester defenders in the 4.5 bracket?

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

JVRB48 wrote:Who rotates well with Leicester defenders in the 4.5 bracket?
I think Swansea rotate the best with them, although they are lacking in nailed 4.5m options.

A Leicester-Bournemouth-Sunderland three-way is very workable though, that's what I'm going for.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

I still have my doubts on who's nailed for Sunderland. PVA and Pantilimon seem the only definites. O'Shea still seems to be the most prominent in rmts I've seen but could be that he's the captain and people are assuming he'll start.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

There was an article on Kaboul and the prospects for the Sunderland defence on FFS today, and with many of us looking to see which 4.5 is best it may be of some interest.

The conclusion seems to be that Pantilimon and PVA are the only ones safe with perhaps O'Shea the safest for gwk1 due to possible match fitness doubts for Kaboul and Coates. These doubts may be put to rest in the two pre-season games to come.

THE PROSPECTS

Kaboul’s addition, allied with Coates’ arrival, swells the number of options in the heart of Sunderland’s defence for the season ahead. The Black Cats managed 13 clean sheets last year – the same number as Arsenal – but with John O’Shea and Wes Brown also in contention, there’s a great deal of uncertainty over Advocaat’s likely starters.

Speaking to the local press, club skipper O’Shea conceded that Advocaat has a real dilemma on his hands:

“There’s a lot of competition in defence now and that’s what we’re looking for throughout the whole team. That’s how you get success. I’ve had that practically all my career and that’s how teams get better. You need people constantly fighting for places and fighting to stay in that XI. Hopefully that’s how we get better results. It’s a manager’s dream.”

For Fantasy managers, though, it’s a real source of frustration, given that all four centre-halves come in at 4.5 in the Fantasy Premier League (FPL) game. In addition, the arrival of Adam Matthews (4.5) places uncertainty over the right-back berth, with the summer signing from Celtic set to vie with Billy Jones (also 4.5) for a starting role. Ultimately, this leaves us approaching the start of the season with only Costel Pantilimon and Patrick van Aanholt – at 5.0 apiece – looking nailed-on for the Wearside outfit.

Certainly, the changes in the BPS will favour Pantilimon – given that the Romanian averaged 4.4 points per appearance last season, he could well justify the extra outlay. Van Aanholt, meanwhile, tallied five assists in 2307 minutes last term, with only Leighton Baines (nine) and Daryl Janmaat (six) besting that haul amongst defenders, whilst he also fashioned 17 more shots (30) than any other Black Cats backline option in 2014/15.

Given that they managed more shut-outs away than at home (seven to six), Sunderland are clearly capable of tightening up on their travels – indeed, only Liverpool and West Brom (eight apiece) managed more clean sheets on the road. Looking at the schedule, Sunderland’s kind opening batch of fixtures (lei, NOR, SWA, avl, TOT, bou) is certainly conducive to defensive returns; indeed, Advocaat’s men face just three of last year’s top seven in the first 14 Gameweeks.

Sunderland, however, only have two more friendlies before the campaign kicks-off and bearing in mind that Kaboul and Coates have yet to feature (though both are expected to play some part against Doncaster tomorrow night), it remains to be seen whether either will be fully match fit come their season opener at Leicester a week on Saturday. It may well be, then, that we won’t know Advocaat’s preferred options until a few matches into the new campaign, when all his defenders will be up to scratch.

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2 ... t_10633258

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Just read that article myself. Kaboul is the man I'm currently on at the minute (can't stretch to PVA), but, good read though it is, it poses more questions than answers.. Hopefully the final two games give us some more clues, as you say. Gut feeling is that Kaboul must have been given some game time assurance.. at this stage in his career why leave one bench to sit on another (that presumably pays less)?

FWIW, a Sunderland fan's predicted line up I saw earlier had Coates as the one to miss out, with Kaboul present in both his current and speculative line ups..

Innes
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 10,000 in FPL

Post by Innes »

This is what Sunderland Chronicle reckons:

CENTRE-BACK
At times last season the ageing legs of both Wes Brown and John O’Shea were exposed by faster attacking line-ups in the Premier League.

And while the players are not at full fitness yet, Brown in particular has looked quite vulnerable so far this summer

Sebastian Coates has been brought in permanently after impressing Advocaat in the run-in during his loan spell from Liverpool, but after representing his country in the Copa America he was given extra time off and has yet to feature this summer.

Younes Kaboul is the Black Cats’ new addition to the squad next season but is yet to feature, while youth graduate Tom Beadling has impressed – though it is likely too early for him to start thinking about regular first team football in the Premier League.

It makes both centre-back places still up for grabs at the moment.

The likelihood is that Coates will be given one, leaving Brown, O’Shea and Kaboul to battle over who plays alongside him.

Kaboul proved throughout his time with Tottenham that he is a fantastic defender, but in the last three seasons saw himself drift out of contention at White Hart Lane due to constant injury troubles.

The Frenchman would be an ideal fit, with his pace and strength, alongside Coates, or even O’Shea, in the defence but it all depends on if Sunderland can keep him healthy. They’ve had some rotten luck with injuries to new players in recent years – Jack Rodwell being a classic example – so they’ll be hoping that luck is on their side this time.

Detroit City FC
Treebeard

Post by Detroit City FC »

JVRB48 wrote:Who rotates well with Leicester defenders in the 4.5 bracket?
Watford, Sunderland, and Stoke over the first 8 GW rotate relatively well although if you're looking for a two team rotation there are better options than Leicester however they can fit into a 3 man rotation quite nicely.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Sunderland played a friendly tonight and started with O'Shea and Coates, O'Shea was subbed off at h-t to make way for the 'very solid and decisive' Kaboul according to the Sunderland twitter feed.

Coates and Jones were subbed for Matthews and beadling? after 63 mins.

Makes it about as clear as mud to me

Sunderland XI to face @drfc_official: Pantilimon, O'Shea, Coates, Jones, PVA, Cattermole, Rodwell, Johnson, Lens, Defoe, Fletcher.

41' Larsson, Kaboul and Giaccherini all warming up on the sidelines

Kaboul, Giaccherini, Larsson and Graham have all started the second half with Cattermole, Fletcher, Defoe and O'Shea making way for #SAFC

55' Forrester free kick eventually cleared by Kaboul, who's looked solid since coming on. Very decisive

63' Another two changes for #SAFC. Jones and Coates are replaced by Beadling and Matthews

VanGaalKnows
Wideboy

Post by VanGaalKnows »

I have Huth currently but waiting on Chester to be added and hoping he's 4.5

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

VanGaalKnows wrote:I have Huth currently but waiting on Chester to be added and hoping he's 4.5
Think he'll be 5.0 but we'll see.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Almost certain Chester will be 5m, bringing him in line with the rest of their defence. Along with Lescott, definitely makes him a worthy consideration at some stage, but not just yet for me. Really tough fixtures to begin with.

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Chester is already added, at 5.0

arv
Treebeard

Post by arv »

Came across this article which discusses Sunderland's defenders (among other things): http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sun ... -1-7386407

Most prominently, it suggests that Kaboul will not start against Leicester because of his lack of fitness. Thoughts?

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Vsz wrote:
thekitkatshuffler wrote:
Bobby Chopps wrote:Yoshida will be a starter, won't he?
Only as things stand.

But Koeman has said they're looking to bring in 1 or 2 centre backs, so he won't be soon.
I saw his comment and got the impression that Yoshida will probably start as first choice and the new guys will be backup... hard to be certain though.

We'll be able to tell from the transfer fees I guess...
I don't think Yoshida will start. He gifted Vitesse their only chance on Thursday and Koeman lost it.

Yoshida just isn't very good for a side hoping to improve on seventh, far too many mistakes. Good squad player as he can cover a few positions and doesn't mind sitting in the stands but he's not going to be first choice.

Fuzzy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: meh

Post by Fuzzy »

arv wrote:Came across this article which discusses Sunderland's defenders (among other things): http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sun ... -1-7386407

Most prominently, it suggests that Kaboul will not start against Leicester because of his lack of fitness. Thoughts?
My immediate thought is "unhelpful". Having wavered between O'Shea and Kaboul, I'm now almost encouraged to start with Coates. Taking a step back, the uncertainty concerns me - despite favorable fixtures they have not been impressive at the back in pre-season, and I can't help but think that the lack of a settled back 4 (5) is not going to improve matters. However, as has been well established in this thread, decent alternatives are thin on the ground. :cry:

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

I'm more concerned over whether he starts in week two, as I'll be benching my Sunderland option in favour of Huth in the first game. Still a bit of a lottery, but that article does seem to suggest he is a starter when fit..

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

There seems so little value in the sub 4.5m defenders this season

arv
Treebeard

Post by arv »

I've gone for O'Shea. I can't imagine Sunderland dropping their captain at the start of the season (i.e. where the good fixtures are). He may/will eventually be displaced, but I may not even want him then. Kaboul may be eased in - whether that means GW2, GW3 or GW4 is anyone's guess.

Sunderland fans discussion on which cb will start: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/kaboul.1110763/ Take it as you will.

Cappadonna
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Cappadonna »

Liverpool's final pre-season friendly is happening right now, and Joe Gomez (4.5) is starting at LB yet again. He's impressed in pre-season, and it's highly likely he'll be in the starting XI for Stoke, as well as games after that. Worth a punt?

firestarter197
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL 3,002 in 2011/12, 6,583 in 2017/18

Post by firestarter197 »

O'Shea benched for Sunderland's last friendly, looks like the proper first team to me: Pantilimon, Jones, PVA, Coates, Kaboul, Cattermole, Larsson, Rodwell, Johnson, Lens, Defoe.
Stephen Taylor started for Newcastle today: Krul (c), Janmaat, Williamson, Taylor, Haïdara, Anita, Colback, Sissoko, Obertan, Wijnaldum, Cissé.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

arv wrote:I've gone for O'Shea. I can't imagine Sunderland dropping their captain at the start of the season (i.e. where the good fixtures are). He may/will eventually be displaced, but I may not even want him then. Kaboul may be eased in - whether that means GW2, GW3 or GW4 is anyone's guess.

Sunderland fans discussion on which cb will start: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/kaboul.1110763/ Take it as you will.
The general consensus on that thread seems to point towards Kaboul being a starter then. As I said, I'll be benching him GW1 anyway, so I think I'm willing to take the risk on the assumption that even if he does sit out the first game he'll be in by the second.

EDIT; seeing today's line up probably strengthens his case further. Looks to be the strongest possible team from my neutral perspective.

arv
Treebeard

Post by arv »

Notned wrote:
arv wrote:I've gone for O'Shea. I can't imagine Sunderland dropping their captain at the start of the season (i.e. where the good fixtures are). He may/will eventually be displaced, but I may not even want him then. Kaboul may be eased in - whether that means GW2, GW3 or GW4 is anyone's guess.

The general consensus on that thread seems to point towards Kaboul being a starter then. As I said, I'll be benching him GW1 anyway, so I think I'm willing to take the risk on the assumption that even if he does sit out the first game he'll be in by the second.

EDIT; seeing today's line up probably strengthens his case further. Looks to be the strongest possible team from my neutral perspective.
Thanks, Just saw the line up; goes a long way towards alleviating concerns about Kaboul. I'll be reverting back to him.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Worth noting that O'Shea came on and conceded a penalty, too.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”