To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The 4.5 mill. defender thread 15/16

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
gazwood
Dumbledore

Re: The 4.5 mill. defender thread 15/16

Post by gazwood »

Re the Villa defence a couple of posts up - the Villa backline is pretty much set in stone with Avami, Clark, Richards, Hutton, although when you say we don't concede much you must've missed the average 2 goals per game against column under Sherwood. Coupled with the fact that we've been woeful defensively pre season I'd steer clear of us with a wide berth

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

gazwood wrote:Re the Villa defence a couple of posts up - the Villa backline is pretty much set in stone with Avami, Clark, Richards, Hutton, although when you say we don't concede much you must've missed the average 2 goals per game against column under Sherwood. Coupled with the fact that we've been woeful defensively pre season I'd steer clear of us with a wide berth
Crespo not ahead of Hutton when fit?

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Stemania wrote:
gazwood wrote:Re the Villa defence a couple of posts up - the Villa backline is pretty much set in stone with Avami, Clark, Richards, Hutton, although when you say we don't concede much you must've missed the average 2 goals per game against column under Sherwood. Coupled with the fact that we've been woeful defensively pre season I'd steer clear of us with a wide berth
Crespo not ahead of Hutton when fit?
He's only played 30 minutes of pre season football so couldn't say for sure but it appears unlikely. Bacuna may sometimes take the RB spot depending on opposition and form

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

I hate this thread. Everytime I make a solid decision I come here and find out another defender I chose is not nailed on. So seriously now Bassong isn't guaranteed. I don't care what defender I have from Norwich as long as they are 4.5 and start. Is there a guarantee that fits this?

huskerdu
FISOhead

Post by huskerdu »

Why are people so high on Norwich? I've noticed a lot of people are selecting their goalies as well.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I'm liking the look of Joe Gomez based on pre season form.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

huskerdu wrote:Why are people so high on Norwich? I've noticed a lot of people are selecting their goalies as well.
CP,sun,STK,sou,BOU in the first 5 Hard to find a better opening than that.

snakzz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by snakzz »

ctibbits wrote:
huskerdu wrote:Why are people so high on Norwich? I've noticed a lot of people are selecting their goalies as well.
CP,sun,STK,sou,BOU in the first 5 Hard to find a better opening than that.
Aint whittaker an starter?

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

Mav3rick wrote:
redcat1 wrote: I'd say for the villa game Eddie will go with

Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Mings
Ritchie, Surman, ????, Pugh
Kermongant, Wilson
Tell you what, Boruc at left wing-back and no keeper is a bold move from Howe. I'm not sure if it will work but I'm on the OOP keeper now though :lol:

In all seriousness though, no chance of Rantie grabbing that second striker spot?
Rantie will be lucky to make the bench, he's not even championship standard I'm afraid. I can see King being ahead of him in the pecking order
Stemania wrote:Many thanks.
redcat1 wrote: Kermongant, Wilson
It'll be a small blow to Wilson owners if Kermongant does keep his place and start in the team as he appears to be the penalty taker, right? Do you know which one of Ritchie/Wilson/other is next in line should he be dropped?

(sorry that this question is off topic)
From memory last season Kermongant was always on the pitch when we were awarded a penalty (apologies if I'm wrong, we won a fair few last season). If I had to guess I would say Ritchie would take them but I'm not sure if Gradel is a penalty taker (once he's playing)

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

gingafalcao
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: FPL : 121th
FPL : 2018/19 : 1st Belgium

Post by gingafalcao »

DanCaek wrote:Richards named captain...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33794799
Striker Gabby Agbonlahor is Villa's new club captain. :|

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

ctibbits wrote:Gerard, arterta injured. Dawson and Nolan start the majority. So only Davies...one out of twenty sides...I like my odds

Add Agbonlahor to the list :wink:

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

gingafalcao wrote:

Whoopsie! :oops:

I'll get my coat...

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

DanCaek wrote:
gingafalcao wrote:

Whoopsie! :oops:

I'll get my coat...
Richards is the on-field captain, so you were half right! In fact that one holds much more weight for me than the 'club captain', particularly when using it as a tool for predicting how nailed a player is.

Beadling Boy
Treebeard

Post by Beadling Boy »

Is Wisdom expected to start, or will he start the season on the bench?

Thx!

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

From what i can tell i see 4 CB at Sunderland;

O'Shea
Brown
Coates
Kaboul

Do anyone have a clue who is considered the most likely pair to both start and play regularry? See Brown have a 75% now, but if we dont take that in consideration, what do Advocaat think?

From pre-season-matches thay all seem to be involved at some point, making it hard to read.

MinimalFuss
Kevin and Perry

Post by MinimalFuss »

Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm a local Norwich fan and have been to every pre-season friendly so far this year.

I hate to say it, but I'd avoid our defenders if you're after clean sheets, we've looked pretty dismal at the back so far.

As for the likely line I'd say in the long term it's
LB: Olsson (4.5)
CB: Bassong (4.5)
CB: Russel (4.5)
RB: Whittaker (4.5) / Wisdom (4.5)

Wisdom has been brought in to provide cover for RB and CB, at RB in the last game he was excellent, getting an assist within 3 minutes of coming on. I'm hugely in favour of him being our first choice RB and think he's got good attacking points p[potential, but he's far from certain to start.

Olsson is currently injured, so Brady will start there for now, I assume he'll be pushed up to left wing to compliment Redmond on the right wing (which should be a brilliant combination).

Bassong is absolutely nailed on, anyone that says otherwise is just plain wrong.

Whittaker and Russell have both looked a little shaky and most City fans are keen to bring in another CB, also if Wisdom does well (as I expect), then they'll be big rotation risks.

Conclusion:
Olsson is the pick when fit, Bassong until then...but to be honest you're mad as we'll conceed a lot of goals!

On a side note Ruddy is an excellent pick and he's a real shot stopper and he'll be busy.
Last edited by MinimalFuss on 06 Aug 2015, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Hi MinimalFuss, welcome to the forum.

Great helpful first post.

(I assume you accidentally wrote Whittaker and Russell the wrong way round in the lineup as RB/CB)

Innes
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 10,000 in FPL

Post by Innes »

PleasedToMichu wrote:From what i can tell i see 4 CB at Sunderland;

O'Shea
Brown
Coates
Kaboul

Do anyone have a clue who is considered the most likely pair to both start and play regularry? See Brown have a 75% now, but if we dont take that in consideration, what do Advocaat think?

From pre-season-matches thay all seem to be involved at some point, making it hard to read.
Noone really knows, even Sunderland fans themselves. It seems most likely to be O'Shea and Coates initially, with Kaboul eased in. Most predict Coates to definitely start, and then it's a toss up between Kaboul and O'Shea. Don't take my word as gospel, but out of them all Coates "seems" the safest. Brought in after impressing on loan and forging a decent enough partnership with O'Shea. and not sure he'd have joined Sunderland to sit on their bench instead of Liverpool's.

MinimalFuss
Kevin and Perry

Post by MinimalFuss »

Stemania wrote:Hi MinimalFuss, welcome to the forum.

Great helpful first post.

(I assume you accidentally wrote Whittaker and Russell the wrong way round in the lineup as RB/CB)
You're correct, wrong way round, fixed!

That said Russel is quite a handy RB and a god awful CB at the moment, so I wouldn't be too bothered! That said he has quite a following amongst Norwich fans though so I can't see many agreeing with me!

ManagerXI
Cheetah
FS Record: 2137

Post by ManagerXI »

I have gone for Richards in the 4.5 bracket. I will have to see how Bournmouth adapt to the PL before considering Francis.

I had to go for a 4.0 defender to allow me to get a top striker and the best option in that area was Danny Simpson but hopefully I won't have to rely on him.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

a lot of the line ups across the various websites all have Coates as a starter for Sunderland, with JOS/Kaboul alongside him.

Is he nailed as the first choice centre back? could free up a handy 0.5 from PVA if he is sure to play
Last edited by Gambit on 07 Aug 2015, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Impossible_United
FISOhead

Post by Impossible_United »

Gambit wrote:a lot of the line ups across the various websites all have Coates has a starter for Sunderland, with JOS/Kaboul alongside him.

Is he nailed as the first choice centre back? could free up a handy 0.5 from PVA if he is sure to play
I wouldn't sat 100% sure, but proved his quality last year improving their defence, and being the most skilled defender of the team. He's a good player and by his price i think it's a good bet.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Gambit wrote:a lot of the line ups across the various websites all have Coates has a starter for Sunderland, with JOS/Kaboul alongside him.

On FFS there's a link to an article from a local (allegedly) reputable journalist that states Costes is first choice with O'Shea, Kaboul (and Brown) battling it out for the other spot. Make of that what you will but I'm happy paying the extra for PVA.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Calvin1979 wrote:

On FFS there's a link to an article from a local (allegedly) reputable journalist that states Costes is first choice with O'Shea, Kaboul (and Brown) battling it out for the other spot. Make of that what you will but I'm happy paying the extra for PVA.
I just read that with great interest. Can't draw any conclusions from it though I don't think; there are no direct quotes which mention him specifically. The Pantilimon quote is much more general and mentions all four as been good options, it is the journalist who seems to have drawn his own conclusion.

Willij5
FISOhead

Post by Willij5 »

Who is this Adam Matthews for Sunderland? Right back 1st choice?

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Willij5 wrote:Who is this Adam Matthews for Sunderland? Right back 1st choice?
Big rotation risk, I think. Advocaat has been quoted as saying he is a work in progress, and that he needs to work on the defensive side of his game before he's ready for the premier league. That's not to say he definitely won't play, but I think best case scenario he will regularly rotate with Billy Jones (who Advocaat talked up a fair bit last season), at least at the start of the season.

MHiggi
FISOhead

Post by MHiggi »

Are these the best viable 4.5m defenders in each side?

AVL - Richards
BOU - Francis
CRY* - Ward
LEI* - Huth/Morgan
NEW* - ???
NOR* - Bassong
STO - Muniesa?
SUN - Coates
WAT - Angella/Prodl/Holebas

*Has a GK pairing for 8.5 or less
Last edited by MHiggi on 08 Aug 2015, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Write
FISO Knight
FS Record: Risky Business

Post by Robin Write »

I'm bias a little with this one but I've gone for Holebas of Watford - though he is starting GW1 as 3rd sub.

Looks like I'll be going Ward, Coates, Huth too (with Fonte my big budget defender :D )

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I'd add Morgan/Prodl to that list. And Joe Gomez.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”