To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Henderson/Milner

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Henderson/Milner

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Considering Henderson, and picked him in my internal draft. Mostly because he's looking to take over a lot of the set-pieces Gerrard used to take. Seems he's also going to be the penalty-taker. In the training-matches we see Milner playing central, and taking a lot of deep runs in the box. By the statements of Rodgers, it seems that this is something we could see a lot of in this season, and that Milner has "suffered" earlier years due to playing in "umfamiliar" positions. Rodgers have stated that Milner will play a central role in the midfield, and if they are working specifically with deep runs in the box, Milner could really be the scorer of some of Hendersons assist. The question will be if this exceeds Hendersons pen-goals, free-kick-goals and more. Milner will surly also get some assist in. Both prices at 7.0, and both is a safe starter.

Sorry for spellingerrors and more, i'm not from UK.

HamezUK
Cheetah

Re: Henderson/Milner

Post by HamezUK »

I prefer Henderson myself due to Pens, Free Kicks and Captaincy (lack of rotation)

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Welcome Pleasedtomichu.

Both seem like reasonable options but I have Henderson at the moment. He just has better recent point scoring form for me.
Interesting to note that the last season Milner was a regular starter was his last season with Villa in 09/10 and he scored pretty well. If he looks like replicating this then he'll be a good choice. Maybe he's the kind of player that really needs regular game time to get the best out of him.

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

They're both in the starting XI for 10.30 match against United. Adelaide United :)

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Personally don't see Milner as much of a rotation risk - I know they have other midfielders but he is far more proven, better and I don't believe he would have gone there without some assurance of being a key player - that's surely why he left city. The thing in Henderson's favour I think is pens but I think they're both players you can count on and are reasonably priced.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

I think both players are nailed, and offer decent potential for a reasonable price. Long term, it's probably a bit of a coin toss as to which does better, as I imagine they will be pretty close.

Were I to pick one now, I would probably go for Henderson, just purely based on penalties and how much he stepped up last season, until Milner's role becomes clearer.

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Pens awarded for Pool over the last years;

2014/15: 6
2013/14: 12
2012/13: 6
2011/12: 6
2010/11: 7
2009/10: 3
2008/09: 5

Henderson have improved both his assist and goal-scoring stats over the last years. Last year i remember him stating that his goal-scoring goal for the season was 10 goals (he got 6 in what you could state was a pretty bad season for pool). Thats not bad.

Looking at the pen-stats for pool over the last 5-6 seasons we could learn that pool averages around 6 pens throughout a season. However, looking at 13/14-season when pool really had a great season, they doubled that. Last season pool lacked the high pressure in front that Suarez/Sturridge made sure of in 13/14-season. With Benteke arriving you would assume the defenders will struggle to handle him in the box. Rodgers also have been working on making Pool "look like itself" againt this pre-season, with the high pressure in front. If they pull it off, and with Bentekes muscles, maybee the awarded pens could go over the average this year?

Gerrard had this goal-scoring stats over the last seasons;

14/15: 9
13/14: 13
12/13: 9
11/12: 5
10/11: 4

I dont know if Gerrars was playing every game where pool got the pens, but i assume he took care of most of these. Aside that, Gerrard havent really produced greats stats outside pens. Henderson can, if he keep producing in the same rate as the last seasons, end up around 10-15 goals. Gerrards asking price when he still was playing was far beyond 7.0, making Henderson a possible bargain.

I also find Milners stats from when he was playing regulary interesting (7 goals, 12 assist). He also produces a decent stats last year (5/8), but didn't he play as a striker for a period in City last year?

However, after writing this post, i feel more asure that Henderson could produce more points over a season than Milner.

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

I don't know precise numbers but I guess Sterling and his style of play brought couple of pens for L'pool... The question is if his departure affects the overall number of penalties?

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Interesting point, you could say the same about Suarez in 13/14-season. Suarez is/was a expert of trying to "lob" the ball up in defenders hands in the box, and gained a coulpe of pens on that.

Still, there seems to be a average in about 6 pens, even before Suarez/Sterlings impact.

And if pool succeed with the high pressure, similar to 13/14-season, the ball should be a lot more in opponents box compared to last year. That should results in more pens.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Notned wrote:I think both players are nailed, and offer decent potential for a reasonable price. Long term, it's probably a bit of a coin toss as to which does better, as I imagine they will be pretty close.

Were I to pick one now, I would probably go for Henderson, just purely based on penalties and how much he stepped up last season, until Milner's role becomes clearer.
I'd say Hendo is nailed and will start 36-38 games, Milner will probably start less than 30 games in the season I reckon. Just my opinion, and assuming no injuries.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Vsz wrote:
Notned wrote:I think both players are nailed, and offer decent potential for a reasonable price. Long term, it's probably a bit of a coin toss as to which does better, as I imagine they will be pretty close.

I'd say Hendo is nailed and will start 36-38 games, Milner will probably start less than 30 games in the season I reckon. Just my opinion, and assuming no injuries.
As a neutral and someone with no bias either way, I would fully expect both to start every single game they are fit and available for.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I quite like the Milner pick and he's been in my drafts, but PleasedToMichu has made me think about Henderson again.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

If Henderson didn't have penalties, my choice would be Milner. I think Milner has better points potential if we don't count penalties.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

JoonaR16 wrote:If Henderson didn't have penalties, my choice would be Milner. I think Milner has better points potential if we don't count penalties.
I would agree with this, as a basic summary.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

They might not get a penalty and if they did he might miss it. If Milner is the better player he's the better pick

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I see Henderson as the better bet personally, and to be really honest I don't see it as that close :shock: It's not just pens, he also has various freekicks and corners in his locker - and if the system is the same as the end of last season he will get many chances from open play too. He's also as nailed on a Liverpool player as there seems to be. The question mark for me is the system - the advantage of the way Liverpool finished the season was that the system allowed Hendo to get forward and burst into the box regularly, but with all the attacking assets being bought or being fit again (Benteke, Sturridge, Fermino to add to Coutinho etc) we may see him deployed a little deeper. :(

It's not that I don't rate Milner, I do, but when was the last time we saw him play a consistent number of consecutive games or play more than the odd game at CM? It's not clear at all to me that he will be an excellent centre mid after spending much of his career wide right. :?
Mo Bot wrote:Welcome Pleasedtomichu.
Hear, hear. Welcome to the forum, some excellent opening posts. :mrgreen:

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Both a wait and see for me due to the tough opening fixtures and the way Liverpool finished last season.

Out of the two though Henderson is a clear winner for me. He'll probably pick up a good 40 points from penalties and set pieces over the course of the season meaning Milner will need to have a hell of a season to keep up.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Sammy the Crab wrote:Both a wait and see for me due to the tough opening fixtures and the way Liverpool finished last season.

Out of the two though Henderson is a clear winner for me. He'll probably pick up a good 40 points from penalties and set pieces over the course of the season meaning Milner will need to have a hell of a season to keep up.
The opening away fixtures are tough looking, granted, but those first four home matches look about as good as it gets in terms of attacking potential, which counteracts the more difficult away games somewhat.

Corroded Soul
Treebeard

Post by Corroded Soul »

Henderson was a shoe-in for me even before I learned about penalties.

boise1234
Grumpy Old Man

Post by boise1234 »

Henderson for me....always like to have as many pen takers in my team as poss (assuming he is actually on pens....)

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Stemania wrote:I see Henderson as the better bet personally, and to be really honest I don't see it as that close :shock: It's not just pens, he also has various freekicks and corners in his locker - and if the system is the same as the end of last season he will get many chances from open play too. He's also as nailed on a Liverpool player as there seems to be. The question mark for me is the system - the advantage of the way Liverpool finished the season was that the system allowed Hendo to get forward and burst into the box regularly, but with all the attacking assets being bought or being fit again (Benteke, Sturridge, Fermino to add to Coutinho etc) we may see him deployed a little deeper. :(

It's not that I don't rate Milner, I do, but when was the last time we saw him play a consistent number of consecutive games or play more than the odd game at CM? It's not clear at all to me that he will be an excellent centre mid after spending much of his career wide right. :?
Milners goal yesterday proved what Rodgers have planned for Milner with the deep runs in the box. My guess is that Henderson will play a deeper role in the midfield than last year and that Milner "takes over" the deep runs in the box. I would presume this results in less goals for Henderson fron open play. I also think Henderson will have a lot of third-last-passes, rather than directly involved in goals from open play. The question is if the extra points picked up from set-pieces will exceed the loss of goal-point from open play. I change my mind every other second.

This surely gonna result in a USB-paradox; You have a feeling that you plug in the USB-device the right way, but you never do, and turn it around just to find out that you got it right in the first place..

PS: Yesterday Milner had a go with a free-kick from just outside the box. I'm not so sure Henderson will take every single set-piece. Coutinho have also been taking a few corners for pool over the last years.

Nihkasilma
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: I'm rubbish at most, some would say I am driven by heart over head..

Post by Nihkasilma »

PleasedToMichu wrote:
Stemania wrote:I see Henderson as the better bet personally, and to be really honest I don't see it as that close :shock: It's not just pens, he also has various freekicks and corners in his locker - and if the system is the same as the end of last season he will get many chances from open play too. He's also as nailed on a Liverpool player as there seems to be. The question mark for me is the system - the advantage of the way Liverpool finished the season was that the system allowed Hendo to get forward and burst into the box regularly, but with all the attacking assets being bought or being fit again (Benteke, Sturridge, Fermino to add to Coutinho etc) we may see him deployed a little deeper. :(

Milners goal yesterday proved what Rodgers have planned for Milner with the deep runs in the box. My guess is that Henderson will play a deeper role in the midfield than last year and that Milner "takes over" the deep runs in the box. I would presume this results in less goals for Henderson fron open play. I also think Henderson will have a lot of third-last-passes, rather than directly involved in goals from open play. The question is if the extra points picked up from set-pieces will exceed the loss of goal-point from open play. I change my mind every other second.

This surely gonna result in a USB-paradox; You have a feeling that you plug in the USB-device the right way, but you never do, and turn it around just to find out that you got it right in the first place..

PS: Yesterday Milner had a go with a free-kick from just outside the box. I'm not so sure Henderson will take every single set-piece. Coutinho have also been taking a few corners for pool over the last years.
Really good opening posts PleasedtoMichu, far better than mine!

I am avoiding the Liverpool midfield like the plague until I see how they fare in the first few games. I have the striker (Benteke if he has finally moved) purely by chance & I believe I will keep him as he will be the proven outlet, I feel firminio will be eased into the Pl.

If you want creativity from Liverpool there is only one player to watch and we all know he is Coutinhio & is valued higher than Hendo/Milner, simply because, he will out perform the other two "Utility men" "3 points a game men"

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

PleasedToMichu wrote:I'm not so sure Henderson will take every single set-piece.
This, basically.

Milner is a dead-ball expert who has been scoring free-kicks for years, and I can see him scoring a few of them for Liverpool this season. Genuine question: has Henderson ever scored a free-kick? It might be that he has, but I can't recall him scoring any. In recent seasons I can only remember free-kicks being scored by Gerrard and Suárez. With the addition of Milner, and the continued presence of Coutinho, I seriously doubt that Henderson will have a monopoly on set pieces.

I think Milner looks like an outstanding bargain. I'm not likely to start with him, as there are enough cons at the minute to outweigh the pros (doubts about his exact role in the team, doubts about Liverpool/Rodgers in general, tough opening fixtures away from home), but if he starts well then I'll probably bring him in on my early wildcard.

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

I've got Henderson in my draft team, didn't realise he scored so well last season and I think he could add an extra 20 or so to that this season.

Milner is a hard one to judge, could potentially get 180+ or could get shunted around and subbed early and end up with similar points to his City days.

Willij5
FISOhead

Post by Willij5 »

I have hendo in my draft, but slightly concerned that he'll be deployed deeper this season.

Who was the holding mid last season when Gerrard was outa the team?

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Lucas or Allen

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

I read an interesting piece about Milner from triggerlips on his forum, nothing particularly new to the posters here, but he did single out the 2009/10 season with Villa as the last season he played regularly and so perhaps a better guide to his FPL potential.

https://www.triggerlips.com/index.php/2 ... es-milner/

Detroit City FC
Treebeard

Post by Detroit City FC »

I was locked in on Henderson in the 4th mid spot but with 0the dearth of good options in the forward positions I've loaded my mid to start the season and am starting with four mids 8.0+. I do think both Henderson and Milner could emerge as great picks, especially when Aguero returns.

I do think talk of their tough road fixtures is overblown a bit. They do have 4 very good home fixtures out of 7 to start

mitchyg1980
FISOhead

Post by mitchyg1980 »

Henderson has been in my line-up since day one, but Milners pre-season goals has started swaying me toward him. Guess Henderson is safer now he's got the armband but even so it's more of a dilemma than I expected

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I can't decide either way, so I've got both in my current draft:

Fabianski, Schmeichel
Azpi, O'Shea, Yoshida, Fuchs, Mertesacker
Hazard, Sterling, Henderson, Milner, Schneiderlin
Aguerro, Defoe, Crouch

I'd prefer to lose one of them to boost my forwards, so maybe one will pick up an injury to make the decision for me....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”