To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Budget Midfielders (£4.5m)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Re: Budget Midfielders (£4.5m)

Post by Le Red »

Well, it's safe to say that Surman has 0 goals and 0 assists in 1080 minutes in the current season, so his immediate attacking threat is close to zero.
Stanislas is yet to score or assist but at least he looks capable to do so in the eye test.

twiggy19872014
Kevin and Perry

Post by twiggy19872014 »

Has anyone thought about Josh King at Bournemouth? Think he is 4.5 currently. I will wait and see if he carries on being deployed in a striking role or whether Eddie Howe reverts back to Murray

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

twiggy19872014 wrote:Has anyone thought about Josh King at Bournemouth? Think he is 4.5 currently. I will wait and see if he carries on being deployed in a striking role or whether Eddie Howe reverts back to Murray
I think there are some good options at 4.5 but most people would prefer to save the extra 0.2/3.
Lingard is a possible bandwagon, though, and it could pay off to bring him in and benefit from price rises during his run on the 11st eleven, and then sell him for a 4.2/3 mid when (if) he's dropped. Would cost a transfer and the extra money spent could get in the way of your future transfers, but if it works then it's easy cash.

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Really torn on this. I accept the merits of the argument to bring in a safe cheap option like Surman but for some reason I really don't want to do it. Stanislas, Lingaard and Alli all appeal in different ways, the last despite the extra spend because of his fixtures in between Christmas and New Year.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Stanislas is nowhere near nailed on and it's not like he's miles cheaper than anyone else like Ferguson was a couple of years ago. I'd just pay the extra 0.1 and get someone who's nailed on.

PitchBookMaker
Treebeard

Post by PitchBookMaker »

Barry (EVE) and Wanyama (SOU) are both available at 4.3. Some yellow card risk, but nailed-on starters for solid clubs that provide potential attacking returns and higher likelihood of clean sheet bonus... I've gone for Barry as his stats are more favorable according to FFScout.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

PitchBookMaker wrote:Barry (EVE) and Wanyama (SOU) are both available at 4.3. Some yellow card risk, but nailed-on starters for solid clubs that provide potential attacking returns and higher likelihood of clean sheet bonus... I've gone for Barry as his stats are more favorable according to FFScout.
Garreth Barry has 6 goals and 16 assists over his last 14,545 minutes. Per 3000 minutes you are looking at 1.5 goals and 4 assists. Those are defender numbers. Similarly, Wanyaman now has 3 goals and 1 assist in nearly 5000 minutes. Jose Fonte has better numbers.

Tale them if you want a guaranteed appearance points, but understand those guys have no attacking returns at all other than random occurrences.

PitchBookMaker
Treebeard

Post by PitchBookMaker »

SuperGrover wrote:
PitchBookMaker wrote:Barry (EVE) and Wanyama (SOU) are both available at 4.3. Some yellow card risk, but nailed-on starters for solid clubs that provide potential attacking returns and higher likelihood of clean sheet bonus... I've gone for Barry as his stats are more favorable according to FFScout.
Garreth Barry has 6 goals and 16 assists over his last 14,545 minutes. Per 3000 minutes you are looking at 1.5 goals and 4 assists. Those are defender numbers. Similarly, Wanyaman now has 3 goals and 1 assist in nearly 5000 minutes. Jose Fonte has better numbers.

Tale them if you want a guaranteed appearance points, but understand those guys have no attacking returns at all other than random occurrences.
Jose Fonte also costs £1.1m more, and you pay that premium for potential clean sheets from a weekly starter. I'm more interested in finding someone for my bench who's guaranteed to appear if subbed on, as you correctly pointed out.

hammer_time
Wideboy

Post by hammer_time »

Anya for me; one of the manager's favorites, bombs forward a lot, plays in lots of different positions and works hard. Last season he also weighed in with good goals and assists, no reason he can't do that at times in the Prem. 4.4 for me is a no brainer (now that thoughts are turning back to Aguero...)

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

hammer_time wrote:Anya for me; one of the manager's favorites, bombs forward a lot, plays in lots of different positions and works hard. Last season he also weighed in with good goals and assists, no reason he can't do that at times in the Prem. 4.4 for me is a no brainer (now that thoughts are turning back to Aguero...)
I agree with this. If I didn't already have Surman I'd probably try to find the extra 0.1 for Anya. And if I ever have a FT going to waste I might make the switch.

I don't often have a FT going to waste though. :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Ruth_NZ wrote: I don't often have a FT going to waste though. :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

twiggy19872014 wrote:Has anyone thought about Josh King at Bournemouth? Think he is 4.5 currently. I will wait and see if he carries on being deployed in a striking role or whether Eddie Howe reverts back to Murray
He's 4.6 (and dropping slowly in ownership), but yes he could be an option. Bournemouth look like they can score goals if they can find the right player up front, the question is whether or not that is King.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... _for_King/

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Mav3rick wrote:Bournemouth look like they can score goals if they can find the right player up front, the question is whether or not that is King.
It's not. :wink:

snakzz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by snakzz »

Mav3rick wrote:
He's 4.6 (and dropping slowly in ownership), but yes he could be an option. Bournemouth look like they can score goals if they can find the right player up front, the question is whether or not that is King.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... _for_King/
Stanislas have been looking way more like an goal treath the last games atleast.

flare2
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consistently satisfactory

Post by flare2 »

redcat1 wrote:
flare2 wrote:Yes, but last season we had Ryan Taylor (now on loan to Ipswich) and Pugh (too slow for Premier League) in the pecking order above Stanislas. He has been good the last couple of games and it's his position to lose...
you mean Ryan Fraser ? Predictive text ?
Yes Ryan Fraser - not predictive text just my brain having a melt down

flare2
Grumpy Old Man

Post by flare2 »

blahblah wrote:Ta for the answer.

But any idea why has he hardly played this season (56 mins in GW5, 45 in 11 and 72 in 12); and what makes you so sure that the starting spot is his to lose?
He hasn't had many minutes as before the Wilson injury AFCB would have had plenty of pace through Wilson (and Gradel). Pugh played really well against West Ham and another couple of games plus Eddie Howe always likes to stick with the same players so he had his chance, though was then awful against Southampton. Pugh was injured in GW5 so Stanislas started and played poorly so was dropped again. Stanislas was so far down the pecking order at the beginning of the season as he didn't impress last season (not that he had many opportunities) - so much so that if we had bought any more players in durng the summer I don't think Stanislas would have been the Premier League squad.

However, this season with all the injuries to our quick/creative players combined with the step up from Championship to PL meaning some of our good players from last season just aren't good has resulted in our struggles. Eddie's preference will be to not change style but get players to adapt to his preferred approach. King and Stanislas both have the potential to fulfill those roles, they offer some pace and a creative side. You never know, it may just click. My personal feeling is that while its his position to lose Bournemouth won't be banging the goals in anytime soon and therefore he is still a bit of a risk. But then he's 4.2m so offers an extra 0.2-0.3m on most other midfielders.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Howe on King;

“I think Joshua gives us that pace up front which Callum had. It is no secret we are still searching for a balance that suits our players. I hope I am not still saying that in two or three months’ time because we are aware we have to find the solutions quite quickly… that is not a criticism of Glenn (Murray), who is an outstanding player in his own right, but the lads have been used to having a quick number nine. I think when the team has adapted to playing a certain way, it is difficult to then change but Glenn has had a couple of good games for us and is a really useful player to have.”

Whether he is worth the 0.4m extra on Stanislas, or an extra 0.3m over the reliable, steady options (Barry, Watson, Wanyama et al) remains to be seen, but sounds promising in terms of gametime and a potential OOP spot at least.

flare2
Grumpy Old Man

Post by flare2 »

My opinions have shifted and I've put my money where my mouth is. Brought Stanislas in. He looked really lively against Swansea, was possibly a bit lucky with the assist but set up at least one other good goal scoring chance and scored a cracking volley from 12 yards out which was given offside. And at 4.2m is a bit of a bargain. The tell tale sign was he lasted the full 90 mins (Ritchie being subbed off) so Eddie Howe clearly sees him as a danger man.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

Any Bournemouth fans have an opinion on whether King can hold his place as striker?

flare2
Grumpy Old Man

Post by flare2 »

I'd say yes, he is improving and plays a style that suits the rest of the team/Eddie Howe's preference. There's suggestions that Murray isn't happy and we haven't done very well with him playing as lone striker.

So you have King that is likely to lead the line, is cheap and OoP. I don't think he will get that many goals and AFCB have a tough run of games - I suspect we will try to get someone in during the next transfer window too.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Tall Paul wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:Surman has scored 29 goals in 306 league games. He scored 3 for Bournemouth last season.
Stanislas has scored 13 goals in 154 league games. He scored 1 goal for Bournemouth last season.
If you call that enormously more attacking potential you aren't doing the maths right. :roll:
Those stats are a bit misleading, because most of Stanislas' appearances have been from the bench (they also don't include assists). When he was starting games for Burnley, he scored 5 in 27 starts. How are the stats per minute?

I agree that it's much better to have a sub who is a regular starter for his team, but aren't we thinking that Stanislas could be starting more games with his recent form and Bournemouth's injuries?

Yep, Stanislas it is.

It doesn't matter if he has scored 13 goals in 154 league games. THIS season he has excellent underlying stats suggesting he will score decent FPL points, which is a great bonus for 4.2m enabler.

So yes, this is an "I told you so" :lol:

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Yep. Stanislas smashed it this week, for sure. Considering him as a Westwood replacement. Bit of a boring sideways move to switch a fifth mid, but Westwood just isn't reliable enough. That said, Bournemouth's fixtures aren't great to say the least (che,MUN,wba,CPL,ars) so he'll do well to maintain these levels. Watson is another decent option too, I think. Less attacking but better fixtures, not that they are the be-all and end-all for a fifth mid you would rarely start, of course.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Notned wrote:Yep. Stanislas smashed it this week, for sure. Considering him as a Westwood replacement. Bit of a boring sideways move to switch a fifth mid, but Westwood just isn't reliable enough. That said, Bournemouth's fixtures aren't great to say the least (che,MUN,wba,CPL,ars) so he'll do well to maintain these levels. Watson is another decent option too, I think. Less attacking but better fixtures, not that they are the be-all and end-all for a fifth mid you would rarely start, of course.
Yes, I'm not saying I'm counting on Stanislas by any means. He just happens to be the cheapest midfielder of the game who also happens to be very offensive, so he is a perfect cheapie 5th mid. Just perfect.

In fact, if anyone is planning to buy cheapie 5th mid at the moment, then I actually think Stanislas is the only correct pick at the moment, isn't he?

Besides, his underlying stats are excellent, so he also has some chance to actually enable strong front eight! But if that doesn't happen, then he is just a perfect cheapie 5th mid, which is also fine.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Finisher1 wrote:
Notned wrote:Yep. Stanislas smashed it this week, for sure. Considering him as a Westwood replacement. Bit of a boring sideways move to switch a fifth mid, but Westwood just isn't reliable enough. That said, Bournemouth's fixtures aren't great to say the least (che,MUN,wba,CPL,ars) so he'll do well to maintain these levels. Watson is another decent option too, I think. Less attacking but better fixtures, not that they are the be-all and end-all for a fifth mid you would rarely start, of course.
Yes, I'm not saying I'm counting on Stanislas by any means. He just happens to be the cheapest midfielder of the game who also happens to be very offensive, so he is a perfect cheapie 5th mid. Just perfect.

In fact, if anyone is planning to buy cheapie 5th mid at the moment, then I actually think Stanislas is the only correct pick at the moment, isn't he?

However, his underlying stats are excellent, so he also has some chance to actually enable strong front eight! But if that doesn't happen, then he is a perfect cheapie 5th mid, which is also fine.
Yeah, if I was to make the move now he would probably be first choice. Perfect combination of bargain price and attacking potential. Fixtures are the only sticking point, but as we said not of primary concern for a bench option possibly.

Not normally a move I would prioritise, but Westwood's no-show has left me without a bench and a doubtful Coutinho, meaning I may only be able to field 10 players this week. Not something I want to risk becoming more regular. We'll see what transpires tomorrow, and whether anything else takes precedence..

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

I ended up taking King over Stanislas. An extra 0.4 spend, but I thought positionally it would be better getting the guy play out and out striker. Still picked up assist today, but not two goals... Still think King a decent shout at 4.6, but Stanislas looks a no-brainer now

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Just watched the BOU vs EVE highlights.

Stanislas basically standing in the middle of the 6 yard box every time BOU attacked has to be a good thing from an fpl perspective.

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

Stanislas first on my bench, hoping for a Sanchez no show!

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

helmethead wrote:Stanislas first on my bench, hoping for a Sanchez no show!
I really wish you would all stop sending out your negative vibes to my captain Sanchez. :lol:

I'm only on 17pts for God's sake. :cry:

snakzz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by snakzz »

Happy that I had to defend my stanislas pick here for hours :)

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

snakzz wrote:Happy that I had to defend my stanislas pick here for hours :)
Well you didn't have to. :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”