To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Leicester's 1st choice GK - Ben Hamer or Kasper Schmeichel? / GK strategy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
djskope
Red & Blue Braces

Leicester's 1st choice GK - Ben Hamer or Kasper Schmeichel? / GK strategy

Post by djskope »

Hallo all,

Just a quickie.. who is Leicester's 1st choice GK - Ben Hamer or Kasper Schmeichel?

i.e. who will get starting position in this coming season? It's not all that clear to me..

Cheers!
Last edited by djskope on 17 Jul 2015, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.

zerinot
Red & Blue Braces

Re: Leicester's 1st choice GK - Ben Hamer or Kasper Schmeichel?

Post by zerinot »

fairly certain hammer only played, when schmeichel was out injured last season, i would expect the same for next one.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

Pretty sure Schmeichel is first choice.

I'm going with both. You're covered then whatever happens.

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Schmeichel.
Ben Hamer played a few games last year because Schmeichel was injured

davidoff
Wideboy
FS Record: 573rd in 2014/15 and 3 other Top 10k finishes

Post by davidoff »

Kasey Keller.

djskope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by djskope »

Thank's for the quick answers peeps: will go with Schmeichel

Very strange though: much more (+5.4%) teams have elected to buy Hamer over Schmeichel (current stats as of today below)

Goalkeepers £ TSB
i Hamer LEI 4.0 14.4
i Schmeichel LEI 4.5 9.0

Price diff is just 0.5 mill

Guess there will be some disappointed Hamer fans when the season starts lol!

davidoff
Wideboy
FS Record: 573rd in 2014/15 and 3 other Top 10k finishes

Post by davidoff »

People will have Hamer because he is the cheapest GK in the game (along with others). They would rather have one playing goalkeeper instead of spending 4.5m on another, and use that 0.5m to improve their outfield players.

djskope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by djskope »

Thanks Davidoff - that makes some sense.

Having said that, for the sake of just 0.5 mil more, I would prefer to have my reserve keeper actually be playing the real matches (and potentially earning FPL substitute points in case of injury or main keeper suddenly being dropped) week in, week out.

Going with Schmeichel @ 4.5. Or Myhill.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

djskope wrote:Having said that, for the sake of just 0.5 mil more, I would prefer to have my reserve keeper actually be playing the real matches (and potentially earning FPL substitute points in case of injury or main keeper suddenly being dropped) week in, week out.
There are quite a few players, myself included, who would say that benching the extra 0.5 every week is damaging. If you're doing it for rotation then it's viable, but can be very frustrating when your benched keeper unexpectedly picks up 12 saves and two BPs away at a top six club.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Schmeichel is definitely first choice, although I'm most likely going with both.

I prefer a keeper and his understudy; always ensures a playing keeper, and as Maverick says above removes the frustration of benching unexpected points hauls.

Will be keeping a close eye on the Hennessey to West Brom rumours too, as that pairing could provide an alternative, even though it would almost certainly commit to a keeper transfer at some point when Foster is back.

djskope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by djskope »

Thanks for the input Maverick (and Davidoff).

I can see your point about the benched keeper picking up occasional hauls, but I think that is a fairly rare frustration I think I can live with. In fact, if they are rotated and played and get a haul, you will be over the moon!

And another plus for having a second 'playing' keeper.

i.e. if your main keeper is facing Aguero / Sterling / Silva or some other hot strikeforce one week and is unlikely to keep a clean sheet and may even concede multiple goals, you can rotate and fall back on your playing reserve keeper who probably has weaker opposition. They may then gain you 2 (or +6 if they get a clean sheet and a few saves) - valuable points.

I think this is a huge positive and the flexibility it offers for each gameweek outweighs the negatives of benching 0.5 most weeks (think of it being like insurance and the potential R.O.I. of that half mil over the season)

I look at the cost of players (Aggy £13m, Costa £11m etc) and even the upper-mid priced £8m players and I think that a 0.5 mil GK investment suggests a pretty good bang for the buck looking at the big picture.

If one spends that 0.5 mil anywhere else, perhaps upgrading to a very similar midfielder, or to a very similar defender, does it feel like giving as much immediate and potential reward?

Plus a team usually accumulates money as the season goes on and ends up at end of season with a couple to a few million going spare.

N.B. just my instinct and minor lazy brain engagement.. would welcome seeing any stats to the contrary if any whizzes on this board.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

I can see your point, but it is also worth noting the potential for save points, which will be far higher for keepers facing one of the elite teams..

sstaffsw
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sstaffsw »

I saw an article the other day suggesting the goalkeeping pecking order at Leicester is:

1 Schmeichel
2 Schwarzer
3 Hamer

Hamer was tipped to go out on loan.

djskope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by djskope »

Thanks sstaffsw - good to know..

Notned:
Yes, I see your point also.. but gut instinct tells me that, against elite teams, any additional single points from each set of 3 saves made will usually be cancelled out (and perhaps reduced to 0 or -1 or worse) due to the number of goals conceded against said elite strikeforce..

For example i have de gea (man u) and schmeichel (lei) as my primary and secondary goalkeepers

and the GW fixtures happen to be something like

man city (h) VS man utd (a)
and
leicester (h) VS norwich (a)

I think most people would prefer to have the choice to rotate schmeichel in as they would expect him to outscore de gea for that GW, perhaps even keep a clean sheet. wouldn't they?

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

djskope wrote:Thanks sstaffsw - good to know..

Notned:
Yes, I see your point also.. but gut instinct tells me that, against elite teams, any additional single points from each set of 3 saves made will usually be cancelled out (and perhaps reduced to 0 or -1 or worse) due to the number of goals conceded against said elite strikeforce..

For example i have de gea (man u) and schmeichel (lei) as my primary and secondary goalkeepers

and the GW fixtures happen to be something like

man city (h) VS man utd (a)
and
leicester (h) VS norwich (a)

I think most people would prefer to have the choice to rotate schmeichel in as they would expect him to outscore de gea for that GW, perhaps even keep a clean sheet. wouldn't they?
I can see your logic, and as with many strategies in FPL there is no right or wrong answer as to which approach is best. I do however think that 10m is far too much to spend on your keepers, and must be to the detriment of your team elsewhere?

*Mid-priced keeper and his understudy
*Two x 4.5m to rotate
*Premium keeper and a non playing sub

They are the three most viable options when selecting your keepers in my opinion, in that order of preference for me. Again that is just personal opinion though, and is in no way intended as a criticism.

Multiple Scorgasms
Grumpy Old Man

Re: RE: Re: Leicester's 1st choice GK - Ben Hamer or Kasper Schmeichel?

Post by Multiple Scorgasms »

djskope wrote:Thanks for the input Maverick (and Davidoff).

I can see your point about the benched keeper picking up occasional hauls, but I think that is a fairly rare frustration I think I can live with. In fact, if they are rotated and played and get a haul, you will be over the moon!

And another plus for having a second 'playing' keeper.

i.e. if your main keeper is facing Aguero / Sterling / Silva or some other hot strikeforce one week and is unlikely to keep a clean sheet and may even concede multiple goals, you can rotate and fall back on your playing reserve keeper who probably has weaker opposition. They may then gain you 2 (or +6 if they get a clean sheet and a few saves) - valuable points.

I think this is a huge positive and the flexibility it offers for each gameweek outweighs the negatives of benching 0.5 most weeks (think of it being like insurance and the potential R.O.I. of that half mil over the season)

I look at the cost of players (Aggy £13m, Costa £11m etc) and even the upper-mid priced £8m players and I think that a 0.5 mil GK investment suggests a pretty good bang for the buck looking at the big picture.

If one spends that 0.5 mil anywhere else, perhaps upgrading to a very similar midfielder, or to a very similar defender, does it feel like giving as much immediate and potential reward?

Plus a team usually accumulates money as the season goes on and ends up at end of season with a couple to a few million going spare.

N.B. just my instinct and minor lazy brain engagement.. would welcome seeing any stats to the contrary if any whizzes on this board.
Football is an unforgiving game. I did exactly this and played jaask at home and benched begovic (away to city if I remember) westham conceded 1 or 2 and begovic saved a pen and got BP :(

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Re: Leicester's 1st choice GK - Ben Hamer or Kasper Schmeichel? / GK strategy

Post by BobMem »

2 years ago I did GK rotation. After about 12 weeks I ran the numbers and the points I'd gained by picking the 'best' option was lower than if I'd just played either one for the duration. Lesson learnt there, I've never had a playing back-up since then unless someone at 4.0 had been available.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

Yeah, rotation doesn't work with keepers as good as with defenders. The reason is save points against bigger clubs and if you are lucky, saved penalties. WBA keeper last season was really good pick. Especially when I decided to keep Myhill :)

djskope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by djskope »

Fair play Bobmem - thanks for the input - can you remember if it was much lower or a close thing?

I know most of you seem to be kindly warning me off but my gut (and my Taurean stubbornness :wink: ) still tells me to go ahead with the experiment - 1 is small sample size of hard data and maybe just bad luck in that particular run of fixtures could have been a factor. Will let you all know how it's going after GW12.

Hoping that I can use this great site (once the season starts) to help with generating my stats..
http://anewpla.net/fpl/index.php

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Who is second choice keeper at Leicester?

Doesn't Schwarzer trump Hamer?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I've (as un-clumsily as possible) split the thread to create a separate RMT thread for djskope as it had all gone a bit off topic.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

We (Lincoln) played Leicester in a friendly tonight. They utilised their whole first team squad, playing a different eleven for each half. For what it's worth Schwarzer lined up in the second half, rather than Hamer. Not sure how much weight that holds, but it did definitely seem to be their first and second team, as it were (eg Ozakaki and Ulloa up front first half, Vardy and Kramaric second etc).

Corroded Soul
Treebeard

Post by Corroded Soul »

Schmeichel, especially after being eschewed for the managerial role.

loosecannon85
Grumpy Old Man

Post by loosecannon85 »

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

loosecannon85 wrote:Hamer is off on loan to Forest

http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/ ... 70519.aspx
Was just about to post this.

That clears that one up then. Schmeichel/Schwarzer it is. Goes back to being a 'safe' selection again, and probably maintains the pairing as the frontrunner for my team.

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Considering Schmeichel/Schwarzer-pair. I guess the point of having them both is the backup when Schmeichel is injured or get booked. That got me thinking;

- IF Schemichel starts the match, the only reasons he will change with Schwarzer is if he gets injured, or if he get a red card. Typically goalkeepers that recieves a red card also resulting in a penalty for the opponent.

With this in mind, you would think you should start with Schwarzer every game, so you can maximize a potential penalty-save from Schwarzer if/when this is happening? If he's not playing, you still got Schmeichel-points. If Schmeichel gets injured during the game, then i guess it's a coinflip who gets the most points for that game?

Any thoughts?

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Actually yes, never thought of that. In reality the odds are very slim of that happening but in theory...

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

There's also the chance that Kasper gets a slight knock and comes off in the last 30 minutes.

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

PleasedToMichu wrote: With this in mind, you would think you should start with Schwarzer every game, so you can maximize a potential penalty-save from Schwarzer if/when this is happening? If he's not playing, you still got Schmeichel-points. If Schmeichel gets injured during the game, then i guess it's a coinflip who gets the most points for that game?
Sounds like a nice strategy. Of course there's a risk o Schmeichel's coming off after 60th min, however I guess it's a matter of 1 or 2 times in the whole season.

On the other hand I can't imagine nervously looking at the pitch/bench when Kasper got CS and there's a chance of him coming off and losing those points. The reason I choose Kasper+Mark is not worrying about GK. With such an approach there's a risk of heart attack every week.

Worth considering though...

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

It is an interesting discussion.

I remember that FFS actually made a survey about goalkeeper changes, and they found that there was not significant difference in points between 1st and 2nd keeper in those situations. It is a coinflip indeed.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”