To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Raheem Sterling

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
The_Punter1986
Kevin and Perry

Raheem Sterling

Post by The_Punter1986 »

Last season Raheem Sterling 158 FPL points at Liverpool who generally struggled at times.

Do you think he will score more this year than last year points wise?

Is he worth the .5 more to do Yaya :arrow: Sterling

Or is it a way of saving 1m to do Silva :arrow: Sterling

Or would you be even braver and risk saving 4m by not having Aguero and have Sterling as your Man City activity.

Thoughts?

Willij5
FISOhead

Re: Raheem Sterling

Post by Willij5 »

Going without a fit aguero would backfire IMO.

I'd happily have sterling and aguero, dropping silva if it looked like sterling was in points and focal to city's attacking play.

You could potentially have silva and sterling, forgoing aguero for the early games if he's unfit to cover city attack and get in early if he explodes.

All depends on preseason games and how he looks compared to silva and yaya.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

He's pretty unlikely to be an alternative to aguero on his own, but the differences between him, Toure and Silva will be debated. A lot depends on game time though because pellegrini seemed to like navas, so I'd need to see him benched consistently in the later pre season games before seriously considering sterling.

tiotom92
Treebeard

Post by tiotom92 »

Too early to go for Sterling IMO, a part of why he did so well last season was because he was a focal point of the team, whereas that won't be the case at City. Also there's the risk of rotation with the likes of Nasri / Navas.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

You don't really rotate 49m

tiotom92
Treebeard

Post by tiotom92 »

Billy Bongo wrote:You don't really rotate 49m
True, I suppose I don't really mean rotate. But he's very young so will inevitably be rested at points and Navas and Nasri will expect to play in some games.

Could well be proved wrong though, guess it depends how he performs from the off.

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Sterling will be nailed on to start imo you dont pay 49m to have him on the bench. City need a player that can get the ball from defence to attack fast they bought Navas to do that but he hasnt cut the mustard. City have bought a player that can pretty much play anywhere across a midfield 3 in a 4231 even upfront. I think he'll start out wide right but he will have licence to roam around I dont think he'll just be hugging the touchline like Navas does. People say it expensive and it is but its the right signing for city at the right time

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

A case of wait and see, for me.

Agree with the points regarding his transfer fee and how it affects him as a rotation risk; no way do you pay that money to bench him. I would say he is pretty much nailed on for that RW berth, at least for the start.

The main issue for me is whether he has the attitude and maturity to cope with the huge fee hanging over him, and to start to focus on his football and developing some of that potential into an end result. At the moment I'm not so sure he does.

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Notned wrote:A case of wait and see, for me.

Agree with the points regarding his transfer fee and how it affects him as a rotation risk; no way do you pay that money to bench him. I would say he is pretty much nailed on for that RW berth, at least for the start.

The main issue for me is whether he has the attitude and maturity to cope with the huge fee hanging over him, and to start to focus on his football and developing some of that potential into an end result. At the moment I'm not so sure he does.

He could flourish now he is settled at a club that are paying him what he wants, in the champions league and competing for trophies. He spent most of last season watching Liverpool sell Suarez, letting Gerrard go and on what he thought was a derisory contract. Liverpool didnt conduct the transfer well but neither did Sterling but I dont think theres been anything wrong with his attitude he's never refused to play, sometimes players can come across badly but now and then you've got to, to force a move through

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

It's a wait and see for me also at the moment but I suspect it won't take long for questions to be answered. I do expect he'll play regularly and city are arguably the most fluent attacking side in the league. Playing for them I don't see why Sterling shouldn't score as well as say Silva over the season.

fredtered
Wideboy

Post by fredtered »

City could. Sheikh whatever probably has that in his back pocket to pay for car parking.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

They haven't bought sterling to rotate with Navas or Nasri. No chance

mayweather
FISOhead

Post by mayweather »

big signing for city. so many games they had nothing down that right side. should be a big help in the games where they'd slip up away from home when all the home team had to do was mark kun and silva tight. now they have to worry about sterling running at them at pace. should give city's main men that little bit more space.

will wait and see fantasy wise before i sign him. think yaya at 8.5 isnt a bad shout if we are uneasy not having a city player with aguero maybe out. lot can happen in the next 3 wks anyways

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

fredtered wrote:
City could. Sheikh whatever probably has that in his back pocket to pay for car parking.
indeed, how many games did Bony play.....admittedly he wasn't 49m but still 25m+ and they hardly used him.

I do think sterling will start, but he was really poor for large parts of last season, and the difference this year will be that City won't continue to play him like Liverpool did.

Playing with Aguero and Silva should help him but I'm not convinced he's top quality, a long way to go, but in fairness that doesn't mean he won't deliver points, he doesn't need to be the best player on the pitch to grab an assist or a goal.

There are so many options at that price it should be easy to transfer him out if he doesn't perform.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

He wasn't really poor for large parts of the season at all. These things are just totally overstated. He was played left, right and central and had to put up with Rodgers changing tactics personnel and formation all the time .

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

if that's what you think then fair enough, different opinions and all that, I thought he was awful for large parts of the season, at this moment in time I would say it's 50/50 if he becomes a genuine top player or the next shaun wright phillips

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

He's already a top player. Sorry but if you think Sterling was awful you just haven't watched any games, it's nonsense. He's an England international for a reason, no one can run with the ball at speed like he can. He has a special talent. Did he have a great season? No. Was he 'awful'? That's utter poppy cock

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

I don't think he is anywhere near being a "top" player and as for being an England international, since when has that been a sign of top quality! :)

We could be here all night listing the dross who England have capped, and no, I don't think Sterling is dross.

watched loads of Liverpool games and was really bad in more than his fair share, but like I said that's my opinion, time will tell how good he will become, I think he's massively overpriced and several levels below players who I would class as genuine top quality, nowhere near the level of Silva for example.

As for having a special talent, I have seen nothing in his game that is that much difference than Aaron Lennon, SWP, Adam Johnson etc had at a young age, he's quick and can beat a man, doesn't mean he will have a career like Robben or Ribery. Wasn't Walcott tipped by the world and his wife as having a special talent, Arsenal squad player and occasional international, so many young players don't live up to early hype.

Over the next few years I don't see Sterling as being one of the best players in the world, not even close, if you do then fine, it's all about opinions.

There is no point arguing and ruining the thread, and I would also point out that I'm talking about real football and not the fantasy game, like I said, he could score well and I would have no problem putting him in my team.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Raheem Sterling

Post by Billy Bongo »

We can debate how good he might be, but there is no debate about last season, he was neither awful nor 'poor for large parts of it'

Just ridiculous. He's far from the finished article and need to improve, particularly finishing. But he's only 20.

blimey, thrust up front as main striker for Liverpool aged 20 and he was 'awful'

Rubbish

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

He's definitely nailed on. Navas is coming up on 30 and has been pretty mediocre during his time. I don't see any universe in which Sterling doesn't win that starting spot, presuming he is healthy.

fredtered
Wideboy

Post by fredtered »

SuperGrover wrote:I don't see any universe in which Sterling doesn't win that starting spot, presuming he is healthy.
The one in which Nasri keeps him out of the team?

davidoff
Wideboy
FS Record: 573rd in 2014/15 and 3 other Top 10k finishes

Post by davidoff »

I've had Silva in my first draft and he's been there ever since but once I start tinkering with my team and doing a few changes here and there, I think I realised that I would rather have Sterling than Silva.
First of all he is £1m cheaper. That is A LOT of money and can change your team quite a fair bit!
Secondly, he was in a Liverpool team who had Balotelli/Lambert up front when Sterling was playing wide. of course he is going to find it hard to get assists with those strikers but he still managed 10. Imagine his assist statistics come the end of the season now he has Aguero as his team mate!
Thirdly, with players like Silva as a team mate who can pick a pass out of nowhere,(yes he had coutinho but you cannot compare coutinho to silva) I expect Sterling to score more goals, especially at a team like Man City who score for fun. Imagine those home games against norwich, watford etc. I can just see Silva with some delightful through balls to Sterling, who with his pace will be on the end of them. He managed 7 goals and 10 assists in a team that didn't make Champs League. It can only increase at Man City.
Lastly, he is not as injury prone as Silva.

I think Sterling is a must have.

Having said all this, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up starting with Silva instead :lol:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

A "must" is probably a bit much, but I have been thinking that starting with Walcott and then switching to Sterling as and when Walcott loses his place could be a reasonable strategy, especially as city have that nice run from GW4.

davidoff
Wideboy
FS Record: 573rd in 2014/15 and 3 other Top 10k finishes

Post by davidoff »

I have both :)
Walcott will not lose his place as he will score goals when he plays. IIFF he does, then yes you have a get out plan because for 9m there is a lot of value midfielders out there.

Josephus
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 3rd Quarter Winner 2012-13 season - Won a VIP trip to the Manchester Derby and an IPad

Post by Josephus »

I think it's better to have Sterling from the beginning and have the option to move him out, than not have him and have to bring him in.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

fredtered wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:I don't see any universe in which Sterling doesn't win that starting spot, presuming he is healthy.
The one in which Nasri keeps him out of the team?
Nasri and Silva are two mids. Who is the third? Unless you think they return to 4-4-2. That seems unlikely with most likely two proven strikers, one of which is coming off another major international tournament over the summer (I am presuming Dzeko and Jovetic are gone).

Nasri is also 28 (Silva 29 soon to turn 30), so the idea that City somehow turn over their starting midfield to a bunch of past prime players seems a bit far fetched.

Sterling will start the overwhelming majority of the time. He is a very good player and will be a major asset to City. Is he a fantasy asset? That I am not so sure about.

Mike James
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1,067th in FPL 2007-2008

Post by Mike James »

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

I really think there is too much uncertainty to go with Sterling from the off. It is conceivable that city could play with a 3 man midfield with Yaya as the most forward player (particularly if they sign another central midfielder). This means that Silva, Nasri, Navas and Sterling are all competing for two spots (this could also happen if they go 4-4-2). You would have to expect Silva to take one of those spots so I could potentially see rotation for Sterling. I think he will more than likely start but given new club, potential other new signings and their awful first 3 fixtures he is a no for me from the start.
Last edited by helmethead on 21 Jul 2015, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Navas was awful against Roma tonight, so I dare say he will pose little competition for Sterling.

I personally think Sterling will start most games, and unlike Navas, he can produce an end product be it assists or goals, and likes to get into the box a lot more.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Two more goals today albeit against Vietnam. Silva and Kolarov also got a braces.

Due to the fact he couldn't hit a cow's ar$e with a banjo for Liverpool I completely discounted Sterling but he's now a definite consideration.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”