To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Raheem Sterling

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Notned
FISO Knight

Re: Raheem Sterling

Post by Notned »

Calvin1979 wrote:Two more goals today albeit against Vietnam. Silva and Kolarov also got a braces.

Due to the fact he couldn't hit a cow's ar$e with a banjo for Liverpool I completely discounted Sterling but he's now a definite consideration.
I was thinking the same, but then I took a step back and realised it was only against Vietnam. I guess you can only score against what you are up against, and he does sound very involved so far, but I think I'm inclined to wait and see how he fares in his first few games and then re-consider for their great run from GW4.

That said, if Aguero does indeed miss the start, City coverage of some kind is tempting, so maybe he does fit the bill... (More so if he were 8.5m though, as I don't really have a 9m slot currently!)

tamagotchi massacre
Treebeard

Post by tamagotchi massacre »

NoEyeDeer wrote:Navas was awful against Roma tonight, so I dare say he will pose little competition for Sterling.

I personally think Sterling will start most games, and unlike Navas, he can produce an end product be it assists or goals, and likes to get into the box a lot more.
And this was one of the biggest problems for Sterling at Liverpool. Once those players with decent movement had left (Suarez) or broken (Sturridge), defenders who took one look at Mario Balotelli or Ricky Lambert, burst out laughing and jogged over to double or even triple up on Sterling. David Silva and Sergio Aguero will pull those defenders inside out and Sterling will be in the box and eating up open space game after game. He could be the player this year.

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

I agree. The space he got and his great movement when playing with Suarez and Sturridge can be even better with Aguero and Silva. Possibly a further forward Toure or DeBruyne in the mix too. I'd discounted him quite quickly because of his anfield exit antics, but he's the type of thick-skinned player that could slip into that team very easily. Could rack up the points big time

ffaddict
Cheetah
FS Record: 97th Sky FF 2015
14,963 FPL 2015

Post by ffaddict »

fredtered wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:I don't see any universe in which Sterling doesn't win that starting spot, presuming he is healthy.
The one in which Nasri keeps him out of the team?
Nasri couldn't even keep Navas out the team let alone Sterling

wizardoffire
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2013/2014 FISO Hotshots league

Post by wizardoffire »

got to say I was skeptical about how he is going to pan out at man city
even though its pre season and they arent the toughest games, hes been putting in good shifts and making a good case for inclusion.

tamagotchi massacre
Treebeard

I don't see any downsides. His apparent wastefulness would be negated by the frequency of chances he'll be afforded. And since Milner left, and Sterling is comfortably a superior player to Navas and the perennially injured or sulking Samir Nasri, unless something big occurs then he looks a nailed starter. He might not see much more than 75-80 minutes, but the damage is done by then.

I think there's an argument for doubling up on City MFs for the first few games while Aguero and Sanchez are out, and while there's questions over selection, formation and roles at Manchester United and Liverpool.

Silva and Sterling look a safe bet.

fredtered
Wideboy

Post by fredtered »

tamagotchi massacre wrote:Silva and Sterling look a safe bet.
Positively Sterling Silva?

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

wizardoffire wrote:got to say I was skeptical about how he is going to pan out at man city
even though its pre season and they arent the toughest games, hes been putting in good shifts and making a good case for inclusion.
Me too, especially with that ridiculous pricetag. But now he's in my team even though they have those 3 difficult games at the start.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

I'm still undecided on him due to probably wildcarding early but his form and confidence are hard to ignore and i may well start with him in a form over fixtures decision as City are capable of scoring against virtually anyone.

His goals scored and finishing were poor last season but he did also create 2.1 chances / 90 (up there with the best) and is now playing in a more attacking team with better strikers that will finish chances.

He was also played oop for a large chunk of matches almost as a defensive wing-back and crucially lacked motivation whereas now he's full of confidence.

He has great feet and as seen in the pre-season friendlies he can get assists for penalties and winning free kicks. His pace means that the chances created by people like Silva and Aguero could be tap ins for him if he gets in the right places. He is also cheaper than Silva.

So of course he is a risk but who isn't at this stage? Seems a reasonable gamble for me as the best man city attacker to start with, and will be in place already when we're scrambling to get Kun for City's great run from gwk4.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 28 Jul 2015, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

+1 to everything liquid said.

I had originally planned to go with Touré, then Silva, but I'm pretty much sold on Sterling now.

Nedved_Cannon
Treebeard

Post by Nedved_Cannon »

Mav3rick wrote:A "must" is probably a bit much, but I have been thinking that starting with Walcott and then switching to Sterling as and when Walcott loses his place could be a reasonable strategy, especially as city have that nice run from GW4.
Agreed with the principle that Walcott can be 'downgraded' or transferred for a like for like premium midfielder than it is to 'upgrade'. If you can fit Wally into the squad, it essentially gives you a 9.0m midfield slot to negotiate as the season goes on. If you concentrate too much on whether he will give you the impact you expect him to for the first few game weeks you will miss the bigger picture of accommodating someone of his value into the team in the mid-term. Sure there may be a time to shift him out but your options then would surely be good with 9 million to play with at that point.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

I have one 9m spot in my team and currently have Sterling there despite his difficult fixtures at the start.

Aar0n_28
FISOhead

Post by Aar0n_28 »

tamagotchi massacre wrote:I don't see any downsides. His apparent wastefulness would be negated by the frequency of chances he'll be afforded. And since Milner left, and Sterling is comfortably a superior player to Navas and the perennially injured or sulking Samir Nasri, unless something big occurs then he looks a nailed starter. He might not see much more than 75-80 minutes, but the damage is done by then.

I think there's an argument for doubling up on City MFs for the first few games while Aguero and Sanchez are out, and while there's questions over selection, formation and roles at Manchester United and Liverpool.

I'd thought about squeezing Sterling into my team but there's certainly no way i'd want to double up on Man City mids to start with, and cannot see what the argument for doing so would be. It would take up a big midfield slot that would be best served by an Arsenal or United player with better fixtures initially. It's likely West Brom will be incredibly difficult to break down, Chelsea will do a Chelsea and away to Everton won't be a stroll.

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

tamagotchi massacre wrote:
NoEyeDeer wrote:Navas was awful against Roma tonight, so I dare say he will pose little competition for Sterling.

I personally think Sterling will start most games, and unlike Navas, he can produce an end product be it assists or goals, and likes to get into the box a lot more.
And this was one of the biggest problems for Sterling at Liverpool. Once those players with decent movement had left (Suarez) or broken (Sturridge), defenders who took one look at Mario Balotelli or Ricky Lambert, burst out laughing and jogged over to double or even triple up on Sterling. David Silva and Sergio Aguero will pull those defenders inside out and Sterling will be in the box and eating up open space game after game. He could be the player this year.

+1

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Any thoughts on Yaya Toure while Aguero is out? Likely to play further forward, on free kicks and deputising on penalties.. of which the could get the odd one or two with Sterling bursting through?

Probably clutching at straws though, because I want City 'cover' whilst Aguero is out (by upgrading my fourth midfielder), and I'm struggling to free up the extra half million for Sterling..

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Yes notned, while i'd prefer Sterling Yaya could turn out better or as good for 0.5 cheaper.

There were pictures of Aguero training yesterday so although he has no pre-season games behind him could easily feature a bit earlier than expected.

I wouldn't be surprised with a late cameo in the first and maybe sixty v Chelsea before starting gwk3.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Yes notned, while i'd prefer Sterling Yaya could turn out better or as good for 0.5 cheaper.

There were pictures of Aguero training yesterday so although he has no pre-season games behind him could easily feature a bit earlier than expected.

I wouldn't be surprised with a late cameo in the first and maybe sixty v Chelsea before starting gwk3.
Yeah that has been my thought re Aguero's gametime since I started tinkering, and the reason he has been in my draft all along. It's only recently that I have started considering Rooney/8.5 ahead of Aguero/Ritchie. If it does look likely Aguero gets a run out in week one, that makes it an almost impossibly close decision for me...

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

As good as Aguero is, I don't think it's worth it to have him if you expect him to play 10 mins away to WBA, and 65 mins against Chelsea

d2024p
Treebeard

Post by d2024p »

asm_fanz wrote:As good as Aguero is, I don't think it's worth it to have him if you expect him to play 10 mins away to WBA, and 65 mins against Chelsea
Remember what happened last season though! He can even score consistently from cameo appearances. Not captain material for the money from these shows, but might be worth saving a transfer..

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Sure he can, but I'd rather have a place holder that will play 180 mins.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Yes, buying Agüero and expecting him to score from cameos is rather optimistic. I will not be surprised if he starts against Chelsea.

tamagotchi massacre
Treebeard

Aar0n_28 wrote:
tamagotchi massacre wrote:I don't see any downsides. His apparent wastefulness would be negated by the frequency of chances he'll be afforded. And since Milner left, and Sterling is comfortably a superior player to Navas and the perennially injured or sulking Samir Nasri, unless something big occurs then he looks a nailed starter. He might not see much more than 75-80 minutes, but the damage is done by then.

I'd thought about squeezing Sterling into my team but there's certainly no way i'd want to double up on Man City mids to start with, and cannot see what the argument for doing so would be. It would take up a big midfield slot that would be best served by an Arsenal or United player with better fixtures initially. It's likely West Brom will be incredibly difficult to break down, Chelsea will do a Chelsea and away to Everton won't be a stroll.
Sorry, by a few I mean 8 or 9 games.

Nonetheless, I don't think fixtures alone discredits the argument that Sterling and Silva will be nailed in the first few games and part of a unit where the points points are split fewer ways than Arsenal, and formation and team are more predictable than united. Big players score goals against big teams, and West Brom and Everton are not that, and there's nothing to suggest either are formidable defensively.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Two more assists for Sterling in today's 4-2 friendly defeat. All eyes on Walcott tomorrow in the race for the best 9m mid. I may be tempted to try and squeeze in both...

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

Lot's of talk about Silva and Yaya and Kolarov/Kompany. What are the thoughts on Sterling ? He's on death row for me, anybody to save him ?

I put him in in my GW1 team because i thought in the absence of Aguero he would play upfront. Thing is, Aguero came back very early and Sterling's end product has not improved yet compared to his Liverpool standard. Just an assist so far and with Yaya/Silva around him i cant see him doing much more for the foreseeble future. I may give him a last chance at home this GW but surely thats a final call ?

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

An assist yesterday, would have been two had Silva not hit the post. Was also inches away from getting his toe on to what would have been an open goal. Home to Watford surely isn't the time to be offloading. I'll be holding.

matmutte
FISOhead

Post by matmutte »

thesilkworm wrote:An assist yesterday, would have been two had Silva not hit the post. Was also inches away from getting his toe on to what would have been an open goal. Home to Watford surely isn't the time to be offloading. I'll be holding.
I like your positive views, but I really feel its going to be like that all season i.e "he could have had 2 assists/1 goal". He's got the opportunities (think of the one in one with the keeper in GW1) but just does not have yet the killer instinct and finishing qualities.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

matmutte wrote:
thesilkworm wrote:An assist yesterday, would have been two had Silva not hit the post. Was also inches away from getting his toe on to what would have been an open goal. Home to Watford surely isn't the time to be offloading. I'll be holding.
I like your positive views, but I really feel its going to be like that all season i.e "he could have had 2 assists/1 goal". He's got the opportunities (think of the one in one with the keeper in GW1) but just does not have yet the killer instinct and finishing qualities.
Could well be the case and I don't deny that it's a bit of a gamble, but one I'm stubbornly standing by (for this week at least).

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

For 9m and with no set pieces in his locker you really need him to be regularly scoring goals to justify his price - regular assists just aren't going to cut it. Unfortunately finishing is one of the weakest parts of his game - for me he's the worst of the three attacking mid fantasy options at their relative prices, and probably will be the fourth best if KDB joins. :(

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Stemania wrote:For 9m and with no set pieces in his locker you really need him to be regularly scoring goals to justify his price - regular assists just aren't going to cut it. Unfortunately finishing is one of the weakest part of his game - for me me he's the worst of the three attacking mid fantasy options at their relative prices, and probably will be the fourth best if KDB joins. :(
I agree with that - it's just that I have him already, and possibly the best fixture in the calendar coming up. Would you offload him now? Think it's clearly not worth a -4, but how about if it was a FT?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

If it was a free transfer to Silva I'd do it in a flash. For a hit, maybe not - we've not really seen City in a super duper fixture yet this season, Sterling could easily turn out to be a beneficiary as he'll likely spend more time in and around the box.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”