To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

United midfield options

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Best united midfielder to start with?

Mata
36%
Depay
47%
Di María
3%
None
12%
Other (please state)
2%

Total votes: 107

quarky
Treebeard

Re: United midfield options

Post by quarky »

Surely he isn't going to start ahead of Darmian, regardless of what LVG is saying??

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

LVG confirms that Di Maria has not turned up for the tour and there is increasing speculation that a deal is close to being completed with PSG.

still looks to be a choice of Depay/Mata for most people, for me it's Depay.

Got to think that if Di Maria is sold then another forward/attacking player will almost certainly be signed.

Young again having a good pre season (like last year) and as things stand looks set to start the season

thekitkatshuffler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thekitkatshuffler »

Just Young for me, as a cheap punt. Did have Ritchie in there, so easy to swap to him if Young doesn't play.

Might end up with Mata or Depay instead of Yaya, but I've got the big Ivorian for now.

Isalla
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Isalla »

Depay posted a pic on his instagram account with Lukaku with comment "see you soon". Should we read between the lines?

https://instagram.com/p/5oZGHBKP4T/?tak ... mphisdepay

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

now the American tour is over, here are some predicted line ups from press men who covered it:

4-4-1-1: De Gea; Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw; Mata, Carrick, Schneiderlin, Young; Depay; Rooney. (Stuart Mathieson, Manchester Evening News)

4-2-3-1: De Gea; Darmian, Jones, Blind, Shaw; Schneiderlin, Carrick; Mata, Depay, Young; Rooney. (David McDonnell, Daily Mirror)

4-3-3: De Gea; Darmian, Jones, Smalling, Shaw; Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera; Depay, Rooney, Young. (Mark Ogden, Daily Telegraph)

4-2-3-1: De Gea; Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw; Schneiderlin, Carrick; Mata, Depay, Pedro; Rooney (Ian Ladyman, Daily Mail)

Don't think there will be too many shocks, obviously could still be an injury or a transfer but the united players (Rooney, Depay, Mata, Shaw, Darmian) that most people seem to be considering all look to be safe picks, at least at the start.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Pedro? In the predicted lineup :lol:

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

yeah, he's trying to be a bit clever, think he's the one who ran the story united are gonna sign him.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Mav3rick wrote:Pedro? In the predicted lineup :lol:
Ladyman. :lol:

The Daily Mail.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

So what formations do you think are best for Mata and Depay? Is there some formation that is absolutely turnoff for either of them?

I think this is a very key question since Mata and Depay are both players that could explode or do nothing, depending on formation.

Van Gaal said they probably play 4-3-3. Does this favor either Depay or Mata?

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2015/News ... ign=ManUtd

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Finisher1 wrote:So what formations do you think are best for Mata and Depay? Is there some formation that is absolutely turnoff for either of them?

I think this is a very key question since Mata and Depay are both players that could explode or do nothing, depending on formation.

Van Gaal said they probably play 4-3-3. Does this favor either Depay or Mata?

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2015/News ... ign=ManUtd
Think it suits either, with both able to play in the number 10 role or on the right. I guess the idea is that it is a fluid system in which they can interchange. Although it does baffle me slightly that Depay (typically more of a winger) seems to be favoured in the hole, and Mata (a proven number ten) on the right..

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Van Gaal called it 4-3-3 "more or less" but its not the same 4-3-3 we saw last season. If you think of the middle three as a triangle, the point is now forwards rather than back, so there are two sitting midfielders and Depay is at the point, so to me its more a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1.

I think it should definitely favour Memphis as he's not far off playing as a striker. Mata seems in a more withdrawn role and I think his job is more about ball possession and creating/prompting from deep. Memphis' job I think is to provide the thrust/penetration. There's always the chance he could move them around but he hasn't so far (not once) and last season he did say he liked to play with pace through the middle.

sponduly
Treebeard

Post by sponduly »

I think the "4-3-3" mentioned by VG, will really end up as the standard 4-2-3-1, as mentioned above.

I get the impression VG wants his right/left attacking players to push/stay forward more (Madrid/Barca style), which is why he's labeling it a 4-3-3.

With an addition like Pedro (presumably replacing Young on the left), this would make a lot more sense.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

sponduly wrote:I get the impression VG wants his right/left attacking players to push/stay forward more (Madrid/Barca style), which is why he's labeling it a 4-3-3.
Maybe but it hasn't looked like that to me in the pre-season games - Memphis has looked further forward but maybe that's due to the limitations of the wide players.

Much of the danger in the final third has come from the full-backs overlapping so that seems a key tactic this season. Swapping Blind to centre-back has also involved switching Blackett back to full-back and he set up one of the goals on the overlap against Barca. If United keep any kind of decent number of clean sheets then Darmian/Shaw could score very well.

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

Depay, LVG stated yesterday that Mata "did not have good pace", he wasn't slagging him off just being brutally honest in his assessment of players as he usually does.

Mata will play but I think that Depay will be key for United, he is the only one who can really carry the ball at pace (rooney not as explosive as he once was), look at how LVG used Robben for Holland and you will see how much he likes someone with that ability in his forward line, also Di Maria last season played very high up the pitch almost centrally in some games.

If, and I stress if, United sign Pedro then I would expect Depay/Rooney/Pedro to make up the fluid front three.

Also agree with the comments about Shaw/Darmian, both will be 1st choice and given license to bomb forward, and they are both very quick.

Rich2086
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 09/10--2235--49,014

Post by Rich2086 »

Gambit wrote:Depay, LVG stated yesterday that Mata "did not have good pace", he wasn't slagging him off just being brutally honest in his assessment of players as he usually does.

Mata will play but I think that Depay will be key for United, he is the only one who can really carry the ball at pace (rooney not as explosive as he once was), look at how LVG used Robben for Holland and you will see how much he likes someone with that ability in his forward line, also Di Maria last season played very high up the pitch almost centrally in some games.

If, and I stress if, United sign Pedro then I would expect Depay/Rooney/Pedro to make up the fluid front three.

Also agree with the comments about Shaw/Darmian, both will be 1st choice and given license to bomb forward, and they are both very quick.

This is exactly why Man City have bought Sterling, what Sterling and Depay bring to both clubs is the ability to get the ball from one box to the other in rapid time. Turning defence into attack in an instant

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Rich2086 wrote:
Gambit wrote:Depay, LVG stated yesterday that Mata "did not have good pace", he wasn't slagging him off just being brutally honest in his assessment of players as he usually does.

This is exactly why Man City have bought Sterling, what Sterling and Depay bring to both clubs is the ability to get the ball from one box to the other in rapid time. Turning defence into attack in an instant

Indeed, that unpredictable pace and running really makes things happen. I can see Depay, Mata and Rooney working really well together as they all have very different approaches. Especially with Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Herrera feeding them.

If lvg has any sense Young and Fellaini will be squad players.

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

This article certainly makes Mata looks less appealing if they do sign Pedro:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ooney.html

Joshua82
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consecutive top 3k finishes in FPL (2013-2015)

Post by Joshua82 »

gooberman wrote:This article certainly makes Mata looks less appealing if they do sign Pedro:

All seems rather confusing. TBH I would still expect this...

Mata -- Depay -- Pedro
-------Rooney

Mata and Pedro as the inside forwards and Depay as the AM. Consistent with their line-ups pre-season with Pedro replacing Young.

However this would make more sense (even though it probably wouldn't happen).

Depay -- Mata -- Pedro
------Rooney

Pedro, Depay and Rooney in a 3 pronged attack which is consistent with that article with Mata in the hole. LVG seems intent on playing Depay as the AM though so I'm not sure what he's planning with him, Rooney and Pedro?

The Man Utd mids are giving me a little bit of a headache tbh. I might be wrong but I'm sure I read LVG saying that Depay might be eased in due to his age. After all Herrara or Fellaini can adequately fill his role. As for Mata he will probably find himself benched occasionally. If they sign Pedro I'm guessing it'll be Young who'll miss out but I wouldn't be surprised if Mata missed some games too seeing as Young has been performing so well.

I'll definitely start with one of Depay or Mata though. Favouring the Spaniard at the moment. Could always switch to Pedro if he gets listed as a midfielder I guess.

WelshPorkSword
Red & Blue Braces

Post by WelshPorkSword »

gooberman wrote:This article certainly makes Mata looks less appealing if they do sign Pedro:

Ogden is guessing like people in this thread, he is absolutely clueless when it comes to United since his "mole" left for QPR :wink:

Gambit
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gambit »

WelshPorkSword wrote:

Ogden is guessing like people in this thread, he is absolutely clueless when it comes to United since his "mole" left for QPR :wink:
agreed, although LVG has said often this pre season that he wants to play 4-3-3, clearly Rooney and Depay looked set to feature in that front 3, question is who will be the third?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I'm pretty sure LVG's new intended 433 is for all intents and purposes a 4231 - as opposed to last season where his 433 was essentially a ridiculously attacking 4141. In the new one there's a place for Mata, Depay, Rooney and new signing.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Stemania wrote:I'm pretty sure LVG's new intended 433 is for all intents and purposes a 4231 - as opposed to last season where his 433 was essentially a ridiculously attacking 4141. In the new one there's a place for Mata, Depay, Rooney and new signing.
Agreed. I think Mata and Depay are both pretty secure in terms of game time, with the potentially incoming Pedro likely to take Young's role on the left.

huskerdu
FISOhead

Post by huskerdu »

Keep flip flopping between Mata and Depay

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

Huskerdu, I was doing the same, I think I opted for Depay in the end due to likelihood he plays further forward, though I was not completely comfortable with the decision. I have now in fact almost certainly decided to go with neither and get Hazard instead funded by Costa to Pelle. Unfortunately I am now considering swapping Ozil out for Depay/Mata. I keep going round in circles - the 8.5m midfielders are the toughest decision for me at the moment, and I am bound to get it wrong!

sponduly
Treebeard

Post by sponduly »

helmethead wrote:I keep going round in circles - the 8.5m midfielders are the toughest decision for me at the moment, and I am bound to get it wrong!
At least the are easily interchanged :) that is the only good point I can find about this decision.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”