To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

United midfield options

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Best united midfielder to start with?

Mata
36%
Depay
47%
Di María
3%
None
12%
Other (please state)
2%

Total votes: 107

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Re: United midfield options

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Notned wrote: I think he meant supporting him in the defensive sense; ie tracking back to help cover any overlapping runs etc.
Oh, sorry.

Just regarding his comments on Darmian. I'm assuming he means the Brazil WC, in which case I think he is correct as from memory I think Italy did play the Juventus defensive setup with 3 at the back and Darmian played further forward.

He won't play that role at MU though, as MU don't have Juventus' (and Italy's) centre backs that include Chiellini, the best CB in the world at the moment imo.

So Red Eye is correct in that he will play more as a full back than a wing back imo.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

NoEyeDeer wrote:
Notned wrote: I think he meant supporting him in the defensive sense; ie tracking back to help cover any overlapping runs etc.
Oh, sorry.

Just regarding his comments on Darmian. I'm assuming he means the Brazil WC, in which case I think he is correct as from memory I think Italy did play the Juventus defensive setup with 3 at the back and Darmian played further forward.

He won't play that role at MU though, as MU don't have Juventus' (and Italy's) centre backs that include Chiellini, the best CB in the world at the moment imo.

So Red Eye is correct in that he will play more as a full back than a wing back imo.
Oh yeah, definitely. I fully expect United to line up with some variation of a 4-3-3 this year.

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

Has anyone considered Valencia as a pick?

He's a defender in FPL and IF he starts this could be a nice bonus...
But is even considered to be in a starting lineups? Any Utd fans?

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

vendzol wrote:Has anyone considered Valencia as a pick?

Yep - Utd fan here. Darmian will be first choice (but won't play every match) so Valencia's playing time will be limited. I would avoid.

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

So its Valencia vs Darmian thing...

Is there any chance he'll play as a winger closer to the attacking formation?

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

That thought had crossed my mind but I would say it is a theoretical possibility with no evidence to support at this stage. Van Gaal said in his press conference that "Darmian will compete with Valencia" so fair to say he sees him primarily as a full-back.

This is the problem with basically every player in the United side - they all have proper competition for their places - pretty much two Internationals for every position. So you would think rotation is inevitable but many players may become viable picks if (when) injuries limit those options during the season.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Red Eye wrote:That thought had crossed my mind but I would say it is a theoretical possibility with no evidence to support at this stage. Van Gaal said in his press conference that "Darmian will compete with Valencia" so fair to say he sees him primarily as a full-back.

This is the problem with basically every player in the United side - they all have proper competition for their places - pretty much two Internationals for every position. So you would think rotation is inevitable but many players may become viable picks if (when) injuries limit those options during the season.
Yep exactly. Rooney is the only one I'd defo touch tbh (and keeper perhaps), unless it looks like we're not getting a new striker and Depay may be used up front a bit...

Mata maybe.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

I think Mata is good pick for the start. I'm sure Depay will do great this season but I still wouldn't pick him before we've seen a few games.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Yes think Depay has the potential to make himself a major player but still just a kid. Pre-season games will provide a better picture - first one is tonight.

Fair to say transfer business also not yet finished.

fredtered
Wideboy

Post by fredtered »

Red Eye wrote:Fair to say transfer business also not yet finished.
Who else are you expecting?

quarky
Treebeard

Post by quarky »

Another striker would change the midfield shape, and looks likely.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

A possible top centre-half with potential to possibly be nailed-on (Otamendi?). Possible striker and possible replacement for a possibly departing Di Maria (Gaitan?). And of course a possible keeper to replace the possibly departing De Gea.

Edit - here you go...

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Featu ... ign=ManUtd

Can only assume the "two positions" are centre-back and striker.

sponduly
Treebeard

Post by sponduly »

As a united fan, can't wait to see how the team lines up this season.

VG has stated there are at least two more positions he wants to fill before the start of the season:

- CB - Otamendi (Ramos would be awesome, but sounds unlikely)
- CF - Cavani/Beneteke/Muller all mentioned so far (Rooney, Hernandez, Fellaini
- GK ??? (if De Gea leaves - Valdes sounds like he's leaving also)

Any world class striker coming in throws a spanner in the works for guaranteed starters.

You would think Mata & Rooney have to be in the starting line up, but VG can be hard to predict (rotation of players & formations).

Fellaini & Young should also be considered for starting positions, considering how well they played together on the left last season.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Vsz »

sponduly wrote:As a united fan, can't wait to see how the team lines up this season.

VG has stated there are at least two more positions he wants to fill before the start of the season:

Any world class striker coming in throws a spanner in the works for guaranteed starters.

You would think Mata & Rooney have to be in the starting line up, but VG can be hard to predict (rotation of players & formations).

Fellaini & Young should also be considered for starting positions, considering how well they played together on the left last season.
Nah, Mata not guaranteed anywhere near as much as Rooney - with or without an extra FWD being purchased.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

sponduly wrote:As a united fan, can't wait to see how the team lines up this season.

One striker formation would be best for them, considering they have so many strong midfielders. 3 strikers is enough, in my opinion. Rooney starter, Hernandez and Wilson for rotation and bench. Of course the situation changes if one of them gets injured (well, Hernandez is already injured..). There are also other options for striker position. Fellaini as target and Depay could also play there.

United said that they won't allow De Gea to leave if they don't get Ramos. I think they prefer to play him this season and then let him go free, instead of selling him now. Of course if that swap happens, they need keeper.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Vsz »

JoonaR16 wrote:

One striker formation would be best for them, considering they have so many strong midfielders. 3 strikers is enough, in my opinion. Rooney starter, Hernandez and Wilson for rotation and bench. Of course the situation changes if one of them gets injured (well, Hernandez is already injured..). There are also other options for striker position. Fellaini as target and Depay could also play there.

United said that they won't allow De Gea to leave if they don't get Ramos. I think they prefer to play him this season and then let him go free, instead of selling him now. Of course if that swap happens, they need keeper.
Ramos won't be joining

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

Vsz wrote:
JoonaR16 wrote:

Ramos won't be joining
I think they are pretty safe with De Gea then :)

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Vsz wrote:

Yep - Utd fan here. Darmian will be first choice (but won't play every match) so Valencia's playing time will be limited. I would avoid.
I found this interesting graphic they may suggest Darmian isn't as nailed on as we think, especially if he struggles to settle in. Remember that the Serie A is much slower than the EPL, and more a tactical league rather than an all out physical and fast paced attacking league like the EPL is famous for.

I originally thought Darmian would offer much more than Valencia, however this graphic seemed to prove me wrong, provided the stats are accurate.

quarky
Treebeard

Post by quarky »

What about goals/assists? I suspect Darmian wins on those last season.

Ezequiel
Treebeard

Post by Ezequiel »

NoEyeDeer wrote:
Vsz wrote:

I found this interesting graphic they may suggest Darmian isn't as nailed on as we think, especially if he struggles to settle in. Remember that the Serie A is much slower than the EPL, and more a tactical league rather than an all out physical and fast paced attacking league like the EPL is famous for.

I originally thought Darmian would offer much more than Valencia, however this graphic seemed to prove me wrong, provided the stats are accurate.

To be fair, it's a lot easier to put up those numbers on a team that controls the game (Manu) instead of a team that is chasing the ball most of the time (Torino)

arv
Treebeard

Post by arv »

I think one concern in relation to United players may be rotation in the first few GWs because they play CL qualification on 18/19 August and 25/26 August.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

Ezequiel wrote:
To be fair, it's a lot easier to put up those numbers on a team that controls the game (Manu) instead of a team that is chasing the ball most of the time (Torino)
Fair point, however MU didn't exactly control that many games last season, but granted probably more than Torino. :wink:

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Eff me, always avoid opinions based purely on stats :roll:

I've seen both players with my own eyes; let me assure you that Darmian will be first choice (IMO of course but he will be :wink: ).

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Didn't realise Schneiderlin was only £5.5m, Could be a very shrewd fourth midfielder at that price; nailed on, should do well with bonus points under the new system, and seemed to have added goals to his game a little last season. LVG has already said they have been working on his shooting in training, so perhaps he's going to be encouraged to venture forward when possible too?

I guess the main issue is it blocks a United spot, when they also have several other strong options elsewhere.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NoEyeDeer »

I personally think he is probably the only nailed on starter in the team at the moment, with little competition for his place.

At the moment it's quite hard to guess their starting 11, and I'd say the only definite starters week in week out would be Schneiderlin and Rooney.

Due to age and potential injuries, I can see Carrick and Schweinsteiger being rotated in the same role partnering Schneiderlin, and of course all the remaining attacking mids and defenders have a fair amount of competition between each other for the remaining slots in their 11 now. I'd be very surprised if he didn't play just about every game, with perhaps just one or two rests due to European commitments.

In saying that, it may sound strange, but I personally think that extra 0.5mil on his price just puts me off a little. By that I mean, if he was 5mil, he could be the perfect 5th mid to sit on the bench, and even potentially start if the fixtures are kind, however at 5.5mil I personally think it elevates him just a little into that price point where he's competing with a few other more attack minded mids, that for example are potentially the better option due to their more advanced role; or may perhaps have a greater attacking responsibility for a weaker team, ie. set pieces, pens, etc.

My point being, I don't think he necessarily 'blocks' a United spot, because I'm not sure there's a total of 3 players you could pick currently that are guaranteed their place, however I do think he blocks are more valuable player from another team at that price point.

Now all feel free to point and laugh when you see him included in my final RMT, lol.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

Notned wrote:Didn't realise Schneiderlin was only £5.5m, Could be a very shrewd fourth midfielder at that price; nailed on, should do well with bonus points under the new system, and seemed to have added goals to his game a little last season. LVG has already said they have been working on his shooting in training, so perhaps he's going to be encouraged to venture forward when possible too?

I guess the main issue is it blocks a United spot, when they also have several other strong options elsewhere.
Yeah, his price is not that bad but I don't know if I want defensive midfielder to my team. There's also the rotation risk with him (maybe not that big but they still have many great midfielders). But I don't see any reason why he wouldn't get some assists and maybe even goals. I need to watch some games to see his playing and maybe then consider him.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

He's definitely too expensive for a fifth mid, No Eye Deer, for sure. If I were to consider him it would be as my fourth midfielder. I'm not on him at the minute, with several enticing options in the circa 6m category, but should I need to free up half a million at any point he looks a reasonable ploy to do so.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

In terms of squad structure, I think I want to start the season with a 7.0 mid as this means I can bandwagon with the best of them. Because of that there's no room for Schneiderlin for me, unless he becomes the bandwagon anyway.

Tadpole
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Euro Under 21 Threes Winner ; Super Egg Cup Winner 12/13 ; JJB Fantasy World Cup 2010 Monthly Winner ; Mortgage Brain Monthly Winner 11/12 ; A few telegraph super league wins ;

Post by Tadpole »

I prefer Ki at 5.5 mil, to Sneiderlin

vendzol
Red & Blue Braces

Post by vendzol »

Having read the other topic, I'll redirect this discusion to Valencia again.
Van Gaal stated that Darmian, the Italy right-back bought for £12.7m from Torino, will start as back-up. “We have brought Darmian for the second position behind [Antonio] Valencia and now already because of that injury [Paddy] McNair has to play there,” he said. “They are minor injuries so they have visited the hospital this [Monday] morning and that has confirmed they cannot play against San Jose, I think, but we have to wait and see,”
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... gs-balance

IF Valencia starts - will you pick him? (don't forget he's a defender in FPL). Or maybe you'll consider him as a waist of UTD spot?

As I see this Rooney + 8,5 mid (Mata vs Depaay - I wouldn''t choose both) are rather obvious choice. There's still one place left from Utd. Schneiderlin? Valencia?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”