To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

United midfield options

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Best united midfielder to start with?

Mata
36%
Depay
47%
Di María
3%
None
12%
Other (please state)
2%

Total votes: 107

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

United midfield options

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Who is going to be the best United midfielder to start with, Depay, Mata, or Di María? - I'd like a decent discussion, but I've added a poll and you're allowed to change your vote too.

Mata could be on penalties and scored a few last year, but also had a ridiculous on target shots to goals ratio.
Depay might play as a forward and is very capable finisher, but is also a CK.
Di María is surely now reasonable value if playing and on corners and indirect free kicks, though is hardly a goal machine and might not be up to speed at the start of the season.

Notned
FISO Knight

Re: United midfield options

Post by Notned »

Mata to start. Depay could take time to adapt, and Di Maria may miss the start of the season. Plus Mata has penalties in his locker, as you say. Expecting a big season from him.

elvushi
Treebeard

Post by elvushi »

Thoughts on Young?

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

EPL is a big step from Eredivisie so it's probably wait and see with Depay's price. Easy swap later if Depay shows better value.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

I'll almost definitely have a United attacker in my GW1 team. Mata seems like the safe option at the moment, but that could well change based on friendlies.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Too early to say. If Schneiderlin signs it's quite possible we'll play more of a 4-2-3-1 so Mata might play no.10, or be out of the team if a striker signs and Rooney plays there.

If Di Maria goes Valencia could get game time in midfield again and be OOP - who knows? Pre-season games start next weekend.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

why is united a must against Spurs for GW1

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

These 3 Utd mids look potentially good FPL picks and value at 8.5m and could be a key area in FPL this season. All three are top quality players and have good FPL points potential. I'd like to think at least one of them will come good this season FPL wise, if not all do well. Looking forward to seeing them play together and hopefully will all be at the top of their game, especailly ADM.

Need to see how pre-season goes first - how the team plays, how it sets up, how Deepay fits in, and how ADM comes along with his injury.

At this moment though Mata looks like he could be best of the 3 to start the season with if he can continue to nail down a guaranteed starting role behind the striker, or even as a false right sided player as he has done under LVG at times. Yes Mata being on pens too at moment (until he misses one that is!) is a nice added bonus to go with his good potential goals/assisits/BPs.

However, if Rooney looks sharps and is playing as a striker, and also gets pens back off Mata, then Rooney could be just my sole Utd pick for now until the other players/team settles.

But 8.5m for one of those quality mids in a Utd team that should, and is expected to, perform better than last season, could help balance the FPL books nicely short & long term.

Could even be a double up or treble up, with or without the 2-5-3 chip, if Utd are flying attacking wise and have a great fixture. Or even hopping on/off each other depending on form and fixture could be a good play. There are many options inside a game with many more options!

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Rooney is the main man for me, first choice striker with all those options behind him. Should be on for a great season if he's given a chance as their main number 9.

For me there is a bit too much competition for the rest of the attacking options, once it's clearer who's favoured and in form I'll jump on one of them I'm sure.

Rooney
Depay ADM Mata
schneiderlin Schweinsteiger

That's a potentially brilliant attack.

Skuse Me
Kevin and Perry

Post by Skuse Me »

I think Mata is probably the best choice and have voted for him but currently have Depay as I like a little gamble now and then.

The_Punter1986
Kevin and Perry

Post by The_Punter1986 »

I don't think Juan Mata will be nailed in the new look Manchester United midfield therefore my vote goes to Depay.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Where do you think Blind will play? Seemed to be the first on the team sheet when fit and purchased by the current manager.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I don't think anyone is nailed on until we see how they line up pre season. I doubt mata will go from key player and penalty taker to dropped when they haven't signed anyone for his preferred side of the pitch.

VanGaalKnows
Wideboy

Post by VanGaalKnows »

Although there's a chance Di Maria might not be fit for the start of the season but I'm a little surprised at how little he's been picked. 8.5 is a bit of a bargain, 12 assists last season. Had a good Copa America (which he might be rested due to) and has repeatedly said he wants to stay and do well so I think he could have a big season.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

or even a chance Di maria might not even be a united player

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

SFC_Fan wrote:Rooney is the main man for me, first choice striker with all those options behind him. Should be on for a great season if he's given a chance as their main number 9.

For me there is a bit too much competition for the rest of the attacking options, once it's clearer who's favoured and in form I'll jump on one of them I'm sure.

Rooney
Depay ADM Mata

but absolutely no protection for a dodgy defence that was saved frequently by De Gea last season, not going to score many goals if they can't win the ball in the first place .....

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Schnidelin and Swineystig offer very good protection

fredtered
Wideboy

Post by fredtered »

Billy Bongo wrote:Schnidelin and Swineystig offer very good protection
This. 100% But they still need a good centre back signing and a gk (or keep DDG).

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

VanGaalKnows wrote:Although there's a chance Di Maria might not be fit for the start of the season but I'm a little surprised at how little he's been picked. 8.5 is a bit of a bargain, 12 assists last season. Had a good Copa America (which he might be rested due to) and has repeatedly said he wants to stay and do well so I think he could have a big season.
Running at defenders he loses possession half the time which you don't mind as a fantasy football manager as the rest of the time he can be productive, but LVG had Robben before who kept possession much better and was equally dangerous. Good to watch ADM but must be frustrating for LVG. Wouldn't be tolerated at Chelsea and can see Man U moving that way re flair.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

Vid wrote:
SFC_Fan wrote:Rooney is the main man for me, first choice striker with all those options behind him. Should be on for a great season if he's given a chance as their main number 9.

Rooney
Depay ADM Mata

but absolutely no protection for a dodgy defence that was saved frequently by De Gea last season, not going to score many goals if they can't win the ball in the first place .....
Absolutely no protection ... can't win the ball ... :lol: :lol:
Que?

Have you never heard of those two midfielders then? :shock:

I realise you're a Chelsea fan, but not everyone wants to see their team play 1-9-1

Carlb5253
FISOhead

Post by Carlb5253 »

Vid wrote:

Rooney
Depay ADM Mata

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arguably the best defensive mid in the prem last season (stats suggest he was the best, even better stats than Matic). Coupled with one of the best defensive and most complete midfielders in Europe for the past 5 years.

If that isn't good protection then i don't know what is, although as a Chelsea fan your used to everybody from midfield up providing protection.

tiotom92
Treebeard

Post by tiotom92 »

Tempted to go for Depay but you never know where any of the 3 will play with Van Gaal, he'll probably play Depay wing-back or something...

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

tiotom92 wrote:Tempted to go for Depay but you never know where any of the 3 will play with Van Gaal, he'll probably play Depay wing-back or something...
Not sure on the personnel, but as a neutral I would be very surprised if their preferred formation was anything other than a variation of 4-3-3. The ADM to PSG rumour being true would make things much clearer for all of us.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

I think ADM is going to go with Cavani coming in the opposite direction.

Just speculation and my opinion of course, but the only current rumor that makes sense to me at the moment.

This would definitely help clear up the midfield thinking, but probably muddy the Rooney strikers role a little, lol.

Personally I'm starting with Depay. Kids a star, physically built for the EPL, and I expect him to make an immediate impact in the prem, especially now MU have strengthened the squad around him.

I honestly think we have another Hazard joining the league which is fantastic for the game, and I expect him to have the same impact and ability to adapt like Hazard did.

I'm really excited to see the next MU vs CHE/ Hazard vs Depay battle. I think this has potential to develop into one of the great player showdowns in addition to the standard rivalry. Great for the league!

Plus, have you seen the size of this kid Depay's legs?!!!! I reckon he'd beat Pharlap in a race!!!! Lol.

w_r_10
Cheetah

Post by w_r_10 »

I think Darmian would be the right wing-back, the position he used to play on last summer in Brazil. I've seen a couple of PSV games last season, and I'm pretty sure Depay will play as RAM supporting Darmian. Mata goes behind Rooney as a typical CAM. On the left it's pretty much the same picture with Shaw/Blind and Young/ADM as LAM.
I don't see Herrera's place in the starting XI though, with SCHmidfielders taking care of the center.
Those are only suggestions, everything could turn on 180 degrees if another striker joins WR.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Well Darmian will operate as a proper full-back (not wing back) but yes, there's no chance of Depay operating there. At the moment, on paper, everyone has direct and serious competition for their place, apart from Rooney really, who you can expect to play pretty much regardless. So if United start to look good he will be the standout option.

If a top striker signs I would expect it to affect Mata more as Rooney may come into competition with him. But we really need to see how United line-up pre-season - I'm anticipating a change to the kind of system he used at Bayern rather than the Ajax/Barca model, but I could be wrong.

nufctoon
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nufctoon »

w_r_10 wrote:I'm pretty sure Depay will play as RAM supporting Darmian. Mata goes behind Rooney as a typical CAM. On the left it's pretty much the same picture with Shaw/Blind and Young/ADM as LAM.
Depay will surely play mainly as a left winger as he prefers that wing and ADM the right side.

1a) No new striker and ADM stays

--------Rooney-----
Depay--Mata--ADM

1b) No new striker and ADM stays. ADM can become Mata or ADM takes one MC spot

-----------Rooney----------
Depay-----------------ADM
--------MC---------MC------
--------------DM-------------

2) New striker and ADM stays
----------Striker--------
Depay--Rooney--Mata/ADM

3a) New striker and ADM not staying

----------Striker--------
Depay--Rooney--Mata

Of course ADM can also be benched and then the 1b could be something like: Carrick; Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin; Mata, Depay; Rooney etc... Lots of possibilities but I'd say that Depay will take the LW spot and his backup will be Young, Mata or ADM the RW spot.
Last edited by nufctoon on 15 Jul 2015, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Depay looks a big talent but there's a danger of expecting too much from him too soon there. Agree he's line to take that spot but Young was one of United's best players last season so Van Gaal has the luxury of easing Depay in/resting at the right time/rotating around Europe etc.

NoEyeDeer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Beginner

Post by NoEyeDeer »

w_r_10 wrote:I think Darmian would be the right wing-back, the position he used to play on last summer in Brazil. I've seen a couple of PSV games last season, and I'm pretty sure Depay will play as RAM supporting Darmian. Mata goes behind Rooney as a typical CAM. On the left it's pretty much the same picture with Shaw/Blind and Young/ADM as LAM.
I don't see Herrera's place in the starting XI though, with SCHmidfielders taking care of the center.
Those are only suggestions, everything could turn on 180 degrees if another striker joins WR.
Just to clarify, if Depay does ever play on the right, Darmian would be supporting him, not the other way around. ;)

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

NoEyeDeer wrote:
w_r_10 wrote:I think Darmian would be the right wing-back, the position he used to play on last summer in Brazil. I've seen a couple of PSV games last season, and I'm pretty sure Depay will play as RAM supporting Darmian. Mata goes behind Rooney as a typical CAM. On the left it's pretty much the same picture with Shaw/Blind and Young/ADM as LAM.
Just to clarify, if Depay does ever play on the right, Darmian would be supporting him, not the other way around. ;)
I think he meant supporting him in the defensive sense; ie tracking back to help cover any overlapping runs etc.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”