To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Monetary Template

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Notned
FISO Knight

Monetary Template

Post by Notned »

I know this will have been touched on elsewhere, but without going into specific players and rotations etc, does anyone use a financial template when picking their squad? Which format provides best balance?

I'm looking at something like this, as a guide;

5, 4
6, 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4
12, 9, 8, 7, 4.5
12, 8, 6

Just a rough outline. Obviously there is room for flexibility, and any money saved in a position can be reinvested elsewhere (hope to shave .5 off the keepers, for example), but I feel it comes in useful.

The_Punter1986
Kevin and Perry

Re: Monetary Template

Post by The_Punter1986 »

4.5/4.5m Keepers Total 9m
7.0/5.0/4.5/4.5/4.0 Defenders Total 24.5m
12.0/9.0/8.0/6.5/4.5 Midfielders total 41m
12.0/8.0/6.0 Strikers 26m

Not sure if my maths have let me down here as its late and I am tired but this is my usual template. :-)

So quite similar but this is all depending on certain players prices this year.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

You're both being very optimistic if you think Aguero will come in at 12m this season imo (not that he's going to be a GW1 option now Argentina have reached the Copa final anyway). I can't think of another striker in the game that's likely to be over 11m. :s

Other than that, those are roughly the layouts that tend to turn out the best with possibly a little wiggle. That said, I don't think it's too helpful to have precise budgets in mind till we see the prices personally. :D

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

41m is the high side for mids imo, there would have to be a lot of bang for buck to spend that much

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

I've never purposefully used a monetary template before but perhaps I should - I seem to remember Triggerlips saying something about correct templates bringing flexibility, which I am a big fan of. (especially in this weather :oops: ) I guess the reason I haven't done so before is that I feel I can't pick a couple of players who I think are great value because they don't quite fit into the template, then I end up shuffling around my squad and suddenly the template is completely shattered anyway. However it is possible that my relatively poor starts are for this reason perhaps!! (eg. I can't afford a big midfield/forward hitter who hits form early on because my template at that time is wrong??) I agree with the above though - until we see the prices there isn't a way to assign reasonable total values to def/mid/att. (which kind of implies one creates their own template based on these player prices)

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Stemania (see link, his post is towards the bottom of this page) and Triggerlips (his post is at the top of the following page) posted in the discussion on top players thread.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=113861&start=660

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Stemania wrote:I can't think of another striker in the game that's likely to be over 11m. :s
I can see Costa at 11.5 or 12m.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

The_Punter1986 wrote:4.5/4.5m Keepers Total 9m
7.0/5.0/4.5/4.5/4.0 Defenders Total 24.5m -- actually 25
12.0/9.0/8.0/6.5/4.5 Midfielders total 41m -- actually 40
12.0/8.0/6.0 Strikers 26m

Not sure if my maths have let me down here as its late and I am tired but this is my usual template. :-)
fixed :)
your totals gave 100.5m

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I think my ideal template would be

5.0, 4.0
7.5, 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.0
12.0, 9.0, 9.0, 6.5, 4.5
12.0, 10.5, 6.5

(I may have to rob the FPL bank to achieve that)

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

just for comparison sake
FPL 2014_15 - 3 money templates.gif
last season winner & runnerup, and FFS HoF leader
teams at season start & end
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Main thing I notice is 32-33m on goalkeepers and defence early on, makes sense as so few clean sheets in the early games and very hard to predict where. Get all the cash forward. This is much the same as I started last season (although copying popular template).

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Stemania wrote:You're both being very optimistic if you think Aguero will come in at 12m this season imo (not that he's going to be a GW1 option now Argentina have reached the Copa final anyway). I can't think of another striker in the game that's likely to be over 11m. :s

Other than that, those are roughly the layouts that tend to turn out the best with possibly a little wiggle. That said, I don't think it's too helpful to have precise budgets in mind till we see the prices personally. :D
Agreed. That's why I like a template like this though, easy to try and judge where money can be saved and re-allocated. In the likelihood that Aguero comes in at 13m, I will be looking at the goalkeepers, second defender or fourth midfielder as the positions who's budget will be decreased.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Notned wrote:
Stemania wrote:You're both being very optimistic if you think Aguero will come in at 12m this season imo (not that he's going to be a GW1 option now Argentina have reached the Copa final anyway). I can't think of another striker in the game that's likely to be over 11m. :s
Agreed. That's why I like a template like this though, easy to try and judge where money can be saved and re-allocated. In the likelihood that Aguero comes in at 13m, I will be looking at the goalkeepers, second defender or fourth midfielder as the positions who's budget will be decreased.
It may well be a defining decision early in the season. I don't think it's going to be viable to start with him, but if circa 13m as expected then working out how to begin GW1 with enough financial flexibility to squeeze in Aguero by GW4 or so looks vital (even at this early stage when we know very little). After their tough opening where Kun will likely not be fit enough to start City suddenly from GW4 have the run:

WAT, cry, WHU, tot, NEW, BOU, mun, NOR, avl

Those home games in particular would be a very scary proposition if we don't own Aguero. I'm sure they'll be plenty of early wildcards played, but it already looks like it may be a little tricky for those who decide to keep it. :?
asm_fanz wrote:
Stemania wrote:I can't think of another striker in the game that's likely to be over 11m. :s
I can see Costa at 11.5 or 12m.
I'm not so sure. I think I'd expect him to be at 11m due to his injury record, with an outside possibility of 10.5m again. Anything above that I'd be a bit surprised after a relatively meagre total of 150 points. He maxed out at 11.2m during this season and finished up at 10.6m (having started at 10.5m). To me that will probably convince fpl that they got his price about right last time round. :)

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

It may well be a defining decision early in the season. I don't think it's going to be viable to start with him, but if circa 13m as expected then working out how to begin GW1 with enough financial flexibility to squeeze in Aguero by GW4 or so looks vital (even at this early stage when we know very little). After their tough opening where Kun will likely not be fit enough to start City suddenly from GW4 have the run:

WAT, cry, WHU, tot, NEW, BOU, mun, NOR, avl

Those home games in particular would be a very scary proposition if we don't own Aguero. I'm sure they'll be plenty of early wildcards played, but it already looks like it may be a little tricky for those who decide to keep it. :?

I guess the logical decision is to put him in your first draft and leave him there all pre-season before switching him out for a placeholder just before the deadline. Should ensure there is money in the bank to bring him in when he's starting, without the temptation to spend the money elsewhere.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

MoSe wrote:just for comparison sake
Nice chart - thanks.

You don't happen to know the lowest/highest starting range for each position last year by any chance? something like GK 3.9-7.0 etc

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

RomynPG wrote:You don't happen to know the lowest/highest starting range for each position last year by any chance?
something like GK 3.9-7.0 etc
Sure, I had the whole player list copied into Excel
Consider that at season start the prices were set a 0.5m intervals, so 3.9m wouldn't have been possible, for instance

FPL 2014-15 Starting Prices

GK
6.0 Hart, Chech, Courtois
5.5 Howard Szczesny Lloris Mignolet De Gea Caballero Reina
5.0 Speroni Begovic Boruc Adrián McGregor Vorm Fabianski Lindegaard Robles Friedel Forster Jones Ospina
4.5 Mannone Guzan Krul Foster Jääskeläinen Harper Tremmel Pantilimon Gazzaniga Sørensen Hennessey Green Heaton Schmeichel
4.0 Myhill, Elliot, Gilks, Given, Hamer, Murphy (all non-playing)

DEF
7.0 Coleman Baines Ivanovic
6.5 Terry Cahill Zabaleta Kompany
6.0 Mertesacker Koscielny Skrtel Shaw Demichelis Kolarov Azpilicueta Walker Vertonghen Filipe Luis
5.5 Fonte Evra Sagna Lovren Distin Shawcross Jagielka Debuchy Johnson Gibbs Agger Jones Smalling Clichy Stones Rafael Evans Sakho Nastasic Cresswell
5.0 - 39 players
4.5 - 67 players
4.0 - 43 players

MID
11.0 Yaya Touré
10.5 Sánchez
10.0 Hazard
  9.5 Gerrard Silva Ramsey Özil Mata Walcott Fábregas
  5.0 - 50 players
  4.5 - 81 players

FWD
12.5 van Persie
12.0 Agüero
11.5 Sturridge
11.0 - none
10.5 Rooney, Diego Costa
10.0 - none
  9.5 - none

9.0 Lukaku, Negredo
  8.5 Giroud Bony Dzeko Adebayor
  8.0 Benteke Soldado Jovetic
  7.5 Lambert Rodriguez Remy Podolski Torres Pellè
  7.0 Welbeck Ba Carroll Osvaldo Gomis Rivière Valencia
  6.5 Borini Diouf Drogba Zárate
  6.0 Crouch Long Jelavic Wickham Hernández Cissé Kozák Aspas Austin Ferreyra Ideye Ings
  5.5 Campbell Weimann Agbonlahor Chamakh Berahino Gayle Altidore Fletcher Murray Koné Bojan Campbell Nugent Ulloa Vokes
  5.0 Naismith Cole Anichebe Bent Jerome Sagbo Graham Maiga Kane Gallagher Emnes Sanogo Scocco Akpom Ayoze Jutkiewicz Mayuka Sordell Vardy
  4.5 Vaz Te Wilson Armstrong Robinson Dobbie Lawrence Proschwitz Lee Barmby Barnes Campbell Donnelly M. Karlsson Mandron McAleny Sharp Wood Zamora

this is the list at 15 Aug 2014, I hadn't updated it with later new PL signigns (nor departures)
where listed in DEF & MID, the list for that price is exhaustive
the GK and FWD lists are complete

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Thanks MoSe. We should probably expect a bit of a switch this year with the potential for a return to super-premium priced midfielders (Hazard/Sanchez) in the 11.5-12m bracket, and a slightly cheaper collection of top strikers.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the group of 9.5m mids and the 8-8.5m strikers, it was a mixed bag in those price ranges to say the least.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

MoSe wrote:
RomynPG wrote:You don't happen to know the lowest/highest starting range for each position last year by any chance?
something like GK 3.9-7.0 etc
Sure, I had the whole player list copied into Excel
I thought you might :wink: - thanks

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

MoSe wrote:just for comparison sake

A guide but skewed by last gw risks and obvious moves like selling Hazard

That chart proves 41m is a lot for mids, more like 38-39

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Hard to make too many plans without knowing prices etc, but just wondering whether it might be possible to squeeze in two premium forwards...

Has anyone ever tried a rotating 4/5th mid? Three to start every week, and then two not much above base price to rotate depending on fixtures? Could be a good money saving scheme to begin with, especially with the promoted teams having decent fixtures..

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Notned wrote:Hard to make too many plans without knowing prices etc, but just wondering whether it might be possible to squeeze in two premium forwards...

Has anyone ever tried a rotating 4/5th mid? Three to start every week, and then two not much above base price to rotate depending on fixtures? Could be a good money saving scheme to begin with, especially with the promoted teams having decent fixtures..
It depends on prices as you say, but usually I'd prefer a 6.5 + 4.5 over a pair of 5.5s for the same money. Especially if the 6.5 is a Sigurdsson type player.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Mav3rick wrote:
Notned wrote:Hard to make too many plans without knowing prices etc, but just wondering whether it might be possible to squeeze in two premium forwards...

It depends on prices as you say, but usually I'd prefer a 6.5 + 4.5 over a pair of 5.5s for the same money. Especially if the 6.5 is a Sigurdsson type player.
Yes, good point.

Any thoughts on decent options who might come in at 4.5m? I will probably look to either Redmond or Johnson at Norwich, or maybe Atsu at Bournemouth (although I quite fancy Ritchie as 4th mid).

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

I doubt they will be 4.5, probably 5.0 at least? There were a couple of 4.5 last season in the starting squads of promoted teams, but they were the likes of Jones and James. Boyd was only cheap due to a late move and that's possibly the best chance of a good 4.5 option.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Using a template is madness - just make sure every player justifies his price (taking into account subs may not play) and no other players have a better justification for being in your team. Think a little about flexibility for future transfers but not too much - an inflexible team is solved by a carried over transfer or a 4 point hit.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

A 4.5 mid will be irrelevant as we will all have him. The value will be finding the 5millies before anyone else

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Billy Bongo wrote:A 4.5 mid will be irrelevant as we will all have him. The value will be finding the 5millies before anyone else
Should be some good value to be found in that price range. Awkward price point for some though... you looking at a budget fourth mid?

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Post by The Catman »

hancockjr wrote:Using a template is madness - just make sure every player justifies his price (taking into account subs may not play) and no other players have a better justification for being in your team. Think a little about flexibility for future transfers but not too much - an inflexible team is solved by a carried over transfer or a 4 point hit.
Agree 100% hjr, but then again if people want to have a monetary template fine by me...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”