To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Dumping Silva for the season: Stupid?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Razzler
FISOhead

Dumping Silva for the season: Stupid?

Post by Razzler »

Been running through my mind

Not cause of his facial injury but just in general. This DGW is an idea time to upgrade an expensive midfielder like Silva for a 2nd Chelsea or Liverpool and both those teams have juicy games after the DGW ... week after that Arsenal have Swansea home and their own DGW

Is this as good a time as any to dump Silva or is that madness? I notice a lot of the overall top teams also have Silva and all the talk about DGW I have seen very few mentions of Silva being sold, ok, City do have Villa at home

I will bring do Eriksen to Fabregas for this week and leave Silva in but for GW36 I am thinking I may need to dump Silva to raise cash for Sanchez/Giroud combo

Not sure if binning Sterling will bring me enough cash.

Thinking same thing for Terry and Chelsea and making way for Koscielny from GW36 but means ending season without those Chelsea clean sheets!

Is this madness???

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Re: Dumping Silva for the season: Stupid?

Post by eastcentral1 »

I am getting rid of him. Silva is class, and will continue to get points. However, Man City are struggling to find any rhythm going forward, meaning that the prospects of Silva pulling in big hauls are greatly diminished. He is not a must have. The only must have in midfield is Hazard. That leaves 4 spaces, and it's a perfectly sensible tactic to try and maximise points by looking to take advantage of DGWs (Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal).

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

I'm also thinking of dropping Silva for the run-in, contrary to last week when I had pretty much decided to keep him. My main reasons is simply that I want too many double gameweek midfielders for the run in (including Arsenal) and so there is very limited space in my team for another premium mid in Silva. I think he will continue to score well, so it is certainly a risk, but with the uncertainty around him playing this week, the general malaise of City and the apparent resurgence of Aguero, I am thinking he may not score as well of some of the other options in his price range.

Edit - I think my thought process is pretty similar to Eastcentral1

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: Dumping Silva for the season: Stupid?

Post by liquidfootball2 »

helmethead wrote:I'm also thinking of dropping Silva for the run-in, contrary to last week when I had pretty much decided to keep him. My main reasons is simply that I want too many double gameweek midfielders for the run in (including Arsenal) and so there is very limited space in my team for another premium mid in Silva. I think he will continue to score well, so it is certainly a risk, but with the uncertainty around him playing this week, the general malaise of City and the apparent resurgence of Aguero, I am thinking he may not score as well of some of the other options in his price range.

Edit - I think my thought process is pretty similar to Eastcentral1

Coming round to this way of thinking myself, helmethead, i was planning to lose him for an Arsenal mid before the Arsenal dgw37 anyway so any injury doubt will make the decision easier.

I have Remy and if he looks like playing i'll do

Silva -> Sterling/Coutinho

else if Remy needs replacing then

Silva -> Fabregas

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

I think chopping Silva is sensible and a great way to potentially out do many others in the top 10k.

I have always resisted getting him, having seen how much he likes to pass the ball rather than go for goal, and prior to City's striker crisis how poor his goalscoring record was. During the run where City had no strikers Silva was an astute pick, and Bongo, credit to him, was quick to pick him out before it became obvious, he seemed to get into scoring positions more often and look to shoot rather than pass. Since City have got some strikers back Silva has had a couple of fortunate hauls, he does have some nice fixtures left and could pick up more points, especially if City give out some thrashings, so I wouldn't blame anyone for keeping him, but I still see David Silva as someone who is an okay pick at 9.0m rather than good to own at almost 10.0m.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

David Silva returned to training on Tues AM less than 48 hours after an elbowing incident with Kouyate #MCFC play-maker will be monitored

- Ben Dinnery

Razzler
FISOhead

Post by Razzler »

I think I may keep for this week's home game but not long after could be making way to free up cash

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Look who's back...

David Silva was back at training on Tuesday morning after recovering from a flying elbow to the face in Sunday's 2-0 victory over West Ham.

There were fears for the midfielder after he received eight minutes of treatment on the pitch and had to be stretchered off with an oxygen mask following the incident with the Hammers' Cheikhou Kouyate.

However, hospital tests confirmed the 29-year-old has escaped a fractured cheekbone.

Under 48 hours after the final whistle blew at the Etihad, Silva was pictured giving the thumbs up to the camera at the City Football Academy as preparations commence for Saturday's visit of Aston Villa.

The club will continue to monitor his progress ahead of the weekend, and Manuel Pellegrini will have a full update in Friday's pre-match press conference.
mcfc.co.uk

Lookin' good...

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Positive update indeed. I can't see getting rid of him if he's not injured, when he has Villa at home and QPR at home in his next 3, at which point he can be switched out for an Arsenal midfielder. I don't deny that he has scored above expectation in the past few months, and he's certainly not a must have, but I still prefer him to the other options.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

This is a tough call for sure.

If he starts every game the rest of the season, he is then possibly the best midfielder to own in general. On the other hand, if he doesn't play on Saturday, then his price will plummet and you have over 9.0m midfielder who is not certain to play in the next game, which is a tricky game itself. The situation reminds me of the Sanchez situation some months ago, when keepers were continuously punished after their decision.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Well I'm hoping that Pellegrini gives a clear update on Friday. If it sounds like there's any doubt I think switching him out for an extra doubler this week is probably the play.

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

Returning to training today does make it seem likely that he will be fit enough for Saturday. If he is fit then he will surely play. I am still probably selling but I will await Pellegrini's press conference with interest.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

thesilkworm wrote:Well I'm hoping that Pellegrini gives a clear update on Friday. If it sounds like there's any doubt I think switching him out for an extra doubler this week is probably the play.
I think this sounds sensible. This season it has been a general rule that if player status on Friday press conference has been "possibly playing", he hasn't actually played. Costa's early season haul being the exception of course.

If he is not certain to play, I think then A) dump him and see him playing will cause less damage than B) keep him and see him not playing.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Before reading this thread, I've even taken a hit to release him, with much gratitude for his services
Silva :arrow: Fab

summary here :)
viewtopic.php?p=2696349#p2696349

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

In deciding which is the best approach to take it's probably a given that most will want two Arsenal mids and Giroud in gwk 37, so to ease preparation it probably makes some sense to already have Hazard and one Arsenal mid after gwk 34.

Given that and with Eriksen's transfer out providing one Liverpool mid doubler, then it probably comes down to choosing between a second Liverpool mid and Silva, and then exchanging either Silva or the second Liverpool mid for an Arsenal mid before gwk 37.

With this in mind, the City and Liverpool fixtures for 34, 35 and 36 are key.

City have (VILLA, spurs, QPR)
Liverpool have (wba and hull, QPR, chelsea)

If we plan to keep either Silva or the Liverpool midfielder until just before gwk37, and with possible injuries using up transfers i think it's sensible to assume it likely, and we don't expect too much from the Liverpool midfielder at Stamford Bridge, then City's run compares reasonably favourably despite playing one game less.

This is all making me think that keeping Silva and having just one Liverpool midfielder is possibly best.

I know i posted much the same last week but if Silva is fit then my thoughts haven't really changed and only a likelihood that Silva will miss the Villa game would tempt me into getting a second Liverpool doubler.

I can't even see Liverpool being really up for their remaining games especially if City win again at home to Villa. The Europa League is best avoided if at all possible.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

It's either Silva or Cazorla who makes way for Sterling (having already brought in Henderson and Moreno) for me. In a way, I actually quite like the idea of holding Cazorla and playing him against Chelsea; means that transferring Giroud in next week would give me 2 Arsenal away at Hull for no hit, whilst also maintaining the full Liverpool quota against QPR, which I feel could give me a slight edge. Makes it easier to get the full quota of Arsenal in, and quicker, and would essentially give me an extra transfer between now and the end of the season.

That said, if confirmed fit there is no way I could justify to myself taking Silva out when he has Villa and Hull at home in his next three. Could be a couple of hauls for him there. In a perverse sort of way, part of me would like to see him ruled out, at least then my decision would be made for me.

Either way it looks like no more transfer activity for me until the City press conference on Friday, barring any definitive news beforehand. I just hope the price rises/falls aren't too severe between now and then...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Yep it's not straight forward at all and Sterling's almost certainly going up tonight and will probably go up again this week too.

I think it's very likely he'll play but then i thought the same of Remy last week.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

liquidfootball2 wrote:The Europa League is best avoided if at all possible.

They don't agree with you.

icefish
Treebeard

Post by icefish »

I´m honestly thinking about transfering Silva and Eriksen out for Coutinho and Sterling to go with Henderson for the double gameweek now. Then save a transfer and bring in Özil and Ramsey for Coutinho and Sterling for gw 36 to go with Giroud in gw 37.

Basically betting on that liverpool won´t get clean sheets in the double, Sanchez being rested/thinking about the FA cup final and Silva not exploding

Risky.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Sounds a good plan icefish.

Ownership of Sterling for this dgw is going to be the biggest factor for me getting him regardless of Silva playing, as it looks like it could be just too risky without. It'll be a short stay though as i won't want him for gwk36.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Sounds a good plan icefish.

Ownership of Sterling for this dgw is going to be the biggest factor for me getting him regardless of Silva playing, as it looks like it could be just too risky without. It'll be a short stay though as i won't want him for gwk36.
+1 to all of that.

The next three are tasty fixtures for him, but a straight forward switch to Ramsey or Ozil seems a no brainer for gw36.

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Notned wrote:It's either Silva or Cazorla who makes way for Sterling (having already brought in Henderson and Moreno) for me. In a way, I actually quite like the idea of holding Cazorla and playing him against Chelsea; means that transferring Giroud in next week would give me 2 Arsenal away at Hull for no hit, whilst also maintaining the full Liverpool quota against QPR, which I feel could give me a slight edge. Makes it easier to get the full quota of Arsenal in, and quicker, and would essentially give me an extra transfer between now and the end of the season.

That said, if confirmed fit there is no way I could justify to myself taking Silva out when he has Villa and Hull at home in his next three. Could be a couple of hauls for him there. In a perverse sort of way, part of me would like to see him ruled out, at least then my decision would be made for me.

Either way it looks like no more transfer activity for me until the City press conference on Friday, barring any definitive news beforehand. I just hope the price rises/falls aren't too severe between now and then...
I'm in the exact same boat and was hoping Silva would be ruled out so I don't have to sit through him potentially running riot v Villa. It's either him or Sanchez out for a second Liverpool midfielder and although City have the better fixture this week, I want Sanchez for GW35 onwards and he is a good differential for me.

Disappointed to see Silva is back in training already. If I take Sanchez out will be a hassle trying to get him back in.

GobiLux
FISOhead

Post by GobiLux »

I sold Aguero a couple of GWs ago and will keep Silva for the rest of the season to cover Aguero points.

Multiple Scorgasms
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Multiple Scorgasms »

He didn't have a break or a fracture so it is just bruising (I believe). As it is a facial injury, I can't see him not playing but we will know more Friday

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

GobiLux wrote:I sold Aguero a couple of GWs ago and will keep Silva for the rest of the season to cover Aguero points.
Good luck with that, cover is a myth, just because Agüero gets a haul doesn't mean Silva will.

I (and a lot of other managers) have had Agüero captain for 4 out of his 5 double figures hauls [TOT, qpr, sun, stk], in the games that he played of those Silva scored 2 and 5, in Agüero's other double digits haul Silva scored 4. Given that there will be weeks left when Agüero is the best captain choice, I think you're risking far too much, on some bizarre notion of cover.

Secondly most managers own Silva anyway, so really you just don't own Agüero in comparison to them, and if Man City do go on a rout and both Silva and Agüero are involved you won't be covered.

I would advise hiding behind the sofa, and hope that whatever Agüero replacements you brought in outscore him. Actually don't hide behind the sofa, that will probably be useless too, enjoy the football. :lol:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:Actually don't hide behind the sofa, that will probably be useless too, enjoy the football. :lol:
This is possibly the best advice I've ever seen you give. :wink:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I'm still a bit torn by this decision, I feel that with Sturridge out and Bony supposedly back that it makes it more likely that Coutinho/Sterling plays further forward while Silva may end up pushed back out wide.

Silva dropped again last night so his 85% ownership levels must have reduced quite a bit in the last week too making selling him less risky.

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

Silva has played "out wide" in most of the gameweeks this season (including the last one), but still comes very central as can be seen by his position maps. I did a bit of analysis on Silva and it actually appears that he does better when Bony/Dzeko are on the pitch. He seems to score fewer points when it is just Aguero up top or Aguero and Jovetic together. This may be purely coincidental as there the sample size is fairly small, but my hypothesis was that Bony/Dzeko hold the ball up and allow Silva to get more space in between the lines where he is most effective.

To be honest I have not watched enough City games to see whether this hypothesis could be true but if it is then I think that Bony back could actually be better for Silva.

TriXaM
FISOhead

Post by TriXaM »

PELLEGRINI ON SILVA: "David worked the whole week with no problems. He is fit for this game."

Sounds like Silva will be playing this weekend. Will he make sellers sorry is the next question to be answered :?:

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Great news, hoping for a haul.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”