To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Have the template players made the game boring?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Re: Have the template players made the game boring?

Post by DrBunker »

Mav3rick wrote:If I could only get a cheap index tracker for Arsenal's midfield - I'd much prefer that to actively managing individual midfield selections :lol:
:lol: :lol: That fits the analogy perfectly!

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

The Catman wrote:
gooberman wrote:Kane is an FPL phenomenon. I've never known a player that cheap in the game to consistently score this level of points. As a consequence he is owned by every serious player in the game (100% ownership in top 1k) meaning that the only way he can boost your rank is by captaining him.

I have Mane but in a strange kind of way, I don't really want him to get too many points. If he went berserk this week and got 16pts then that is basically the end of him as a differential. A 9pt score from him is still a good score but not that high as to make him stand out and make everyone want to grab him.
JayRod before his injury was Kane-esque.....but not as highly owned.
He was a decent scorer but didn't score as heavy or as consistently as Kane and he was about 2m more in price.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

£6.1m at the end of the season, and scored 5 in his last 4 appearances before injury.

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:£6.1m at the end of the season, and scored 5 in his last 4 appearances before injury.
Just looked at his history. Maybe I have underestimated him slightly. 15 goals last season before injury and yes 6.1m. Still not quite in Kane's league but not far off I guess. I recall him being fairly lowly owned which is surprising given his stats.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

gooberman wrote:I am close to top 4k rank so I don't want to take any undue risks.
Could someone please explain to me (rather than continue with the petty bickering) why any position such as 1k, 4k, 10k, 50k etc. matters so much to so many? I really don't get what constitute "undue risks" due to being close to 4k position. So what if you end up around 3k or 33k???

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

I think it's to do with the standard people set for themselves. I set a standard of top 1% but obviously want to do as well as possible.

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Vid wrote:
gooberman wrote:I am close to top 4k rank so I don't want to take any undue risks.
Could someone please explain to me (rather than continue with the petty bickering) why any position such as 1k, 4k, 10k, 50k etc. matters so much to so many? I really don't get what constitute "undue risks" due to being close to 4k position. So what if you end up around 3k or 33k???
I can explain. I judge my success by my final gameweek rank at the end of the season. I class a top 10k finish as a successful season so this is normally my aim. Obviously top 1k and higher would be even better.

However personally I would not want to compromise my chances of a top 10k finish at this stage by taking risks and punts in an attempt to climb higher up the rankings.

Such risks would be removing highly owned players from my team and replacing them with unpopular players who may or may not be a success. I would rather keep the status quo by not making drastic changes to my team and my rank staying around where it is. However the down side with this as I have described in my opening post is that it does make the game a bit boring.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

It's logical, is it not, to be increasingly cagey the higher up you go even if you don't have a pre-set target?

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

Meh, if you pick a player that then does well for a few weeks, they get transferred in and become template. If you have a player that's been a differential and still is, they have probably been pants.

Kane almost negates choosing between the big names, and the extra wildcard makes a difference, but I think there is simply so much more online discussion these days. When I first played, I think Ffs was brand new, and I found this site far and away the most useful, frequently throwing in new, and very good, options that I hadn't seen elsewhere. The amount of players with access to this info has increased hugely and there are several new sites that offer the same info we discuss here.

We aren't working under cover these days.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

DanCaek wrote:Kane almost negates choosing between the big names, and the extra wildcard makes a difference, but I think there is simply so much more online discussion these days. When I first played, I think Ffs was brand new, and I found this site far and away the most useful, frequently throwing in new, and very good, options that I hadn't seen elsewhere. The amount of players with access to this info has increased hugely and there are several new sites that offer the same info we discuss here.

We aren't working under cover these days.
That's a good point, you don't have to be a FF nerd to have a lot more info at your fingertips than when I started playing, e.g. my wife dips in to check out injury news and captain strategies and in a few moves she can find out enough to sit third in our fairly competitive works league.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”