To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

As there are two differnet approaches to GW34, thought I'd start the sister thread to GW34 (no wildcard) strategy

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Re: GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

1. Play Wildcard.

Fuzzy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: meh

Post by Fuzzy »

I'm not sure "play wildcard" is 1.

Is there not something about "steal break on rivals (as they attempt to cover all their bases with a carefully thought out multi-week transfer plan) by differentials through GWs 32 and 33"?? :wink:

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Fuzzy wrote:I'm not sure "play wildcard" is 1.

Is there not something about "steal break on rivals (as they attempt to cover all their bases with a carefully thought out multi-week transfer plan) by differentials through GWs 32 and 33"?? :wink:
Yeah I think you have to try to do a little damage in GW33 if you hold the WC. Other than that I think it's about sorting a squad for GW34-38 with 34 an obvious priority. I don't agree that going gung-ho on Arsenal is the way forward with Chelsea an opponent in GW34 - also their midfield might differ in the Sunderland game (and beyond) such are their riches in that department. I'll likely be going 7 doublers, one Arsenal, 3 Chelsea, Austin, 2 Liverpool. Sturridge is the one I think I'll want, but can't afford without sacrificing key players.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

I don't have a wildcard but I would possibly be looking to play 33 and 34 the same way as everyone else and use it in GW 36 when everyone has Chelsea and Liverpool players playing against each other. City, Southampton and Spurs have very respectable fixtures and loading up could make a huge difference on the masses.

Realistically, all good players will have 11 out for 33 and at least 7-8 doublers for 34 so I don't see it as a huge advantage.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Mo Bot wrote:I don't have a wildcard but I would possibly be looking to play 33 and 34 the same way as everyone else and use it in GW 36 when everyone has Chelsea and Liverpool players playing against each other.
It's an interesting idea worth considering if you can muster 7 doublers in GW34 without mugging yourself off in the preceding weeks. If playing WC in gw34 there are still 2 transfers to prepare for Chelsea-Liverpool if required. The problem for me is I can't put out more than 6 doublers and the rest of my squad has crap fixtures or is named Hutton/Van Ar**hole. Also this tactic will force me to have a clearly inferior GW33 which I believe will be a potential issue for many WC holders.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Mo Bot wrote:I don't have a wildcard but I would possibly be looking to play 33 and 34 the same way as everyone else and use it in GW 36 when everyone has Chelsea and Liverpool players playing against each other. City, Southampton and Spurs have very respectable fixtures and loading up could make a huge difference on the masses.

Realistically, all good players will have 11 out for 33 and at least 7-8 doublers for 34 so I don't see it as a huge advantage.
Interesting point but I am still going to use it for GW34. It allows me to make more effective transfers in the preceding weeks, just like Sutter Kane said.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

If you have a wildcard then setting up to attack in GW33 and then have your pick of GW34 players looks the best way forward to me.

Even if I manage to get through the next weeks without injuries and pick the right doublers (right as in no one injured and all likely to play both games in GW34 with the information at hand in GW33) I will still have to bench three (probably expensive) players in GW33, while playing a 5-3-2 and possibly no keeper.

Saving two frees to go into GW33 able to remove your Arsenal players seems a good idea with City perhaps being the obvious transfer in although punts like Bolasie will still stack up well against the likes of Dawson/Leicester defender, Haidara and Cork who will be my replacements that week!

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Mav3rick wrote:If you have a wildcard then setting up to attack in GW33 and then have your pick of GW34 players looks the best way forward to me.

Even if I manage to get through the next weeks without injuries and pick the right doublers (right as in no one injured and all likely to play both games in GW34 with the information at hand in GW33) I will still have to bench three (probably expensive) players in GW33, while playing a 5-3-2 and possibly no keeper.

Saving two frees to go into GW33 able to remove your Arsenal players seems a good idea with City perhaps being the obvious transfer in although punts like Bolasie will still stack up well against the likes of Dawson/Leicester defender, Haidara and Cork who will be my replacements that week!
Yes, for example I have currently two players that blank on GW33. With free transfers I can easily set up a very strong team for GW33 with the luxury of good bench also. Then I play my wildcard for DGW34.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Mav3rick wrote:If you have a wildcard then setting up to attack in GW33 and then have your pick of GW34 players looks the best way forward to me.
The problem is that GW33 looks a poor, low scoring week. You can set up to attack it but who the hell do you get in?

I'll still almost certainly go down that route and take my chances. Since I'm doing pretty terribly I'll probably gamble and dump Aguero and Silva, going all out with eleven doublers.

Finisher1 wrote:Yes, for example I have currently two players that blank on GW33. With free transfers I can easily set up a very strong team for GW33 with the luxury of good bench also. Then I play my wildcard for DGW34.
That's a nice spot to be in. I've currently got 5 "blankers" in GW33:

Pantilimon, PVA, Bruce, Sanchez, Sterling

That's quite annoying as I've only got three transfers and would rather not have to spend them on budget defenders.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

Fuzzy wrote:I'm not sure "play wildcard" is 1.

Point 1 is surely 'Brag about still having a wildcard like a smug tw @t' ... (I'm one of the tw@ts by the way 8-) ... see? Smug face)

A lot of the strategy depends on your position. If you're in amongst the top boys overall you can assume the players around you will be well prepared for GW33. In my mini-league however, I see GW33 as a big chance to make up some points before I WC in GW34 to make up even more points! My rivals won't be prepared for GW33, and looking at their teams some will be struggling to get a full team out. I imagine some will panic when they get to GW33 and see the fixtures, make several changes, and have nothing planned for the doubles. It's embarrassing that I'm not 100 points clear in this league to be honest! I've had a bad season and put it down solely to luck, because it makes me feel better. And if you disagree well in the words of Mourinho, you must all be envious or something. NOTE: not an exact quote.

So yeah, for GW33 I'll be ensuring I have a strong 11 with at least 1 strong subs, without any hits, and I expect to make up points there and then smash it out the park in GW34.

For doublers... current plan is 3 Chelsea, 2 Arsenal, 2 Liverpool, Austin, Silva, Aguero. And someone else.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

So what do we do now?

I'm perhaps favouring a GW32 wildcard. Bank this week then have a double transfer to bring in a couple of DGW31 players as a gamble. Wildcard to a solid GW33 side with the right players benched in preparation for DGW37.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

Finisher1 wrote:

Yes, for example I have currently two players that blank on GW33. With free transfers I can easily set up a very strong team for GW33 with the luxury of good bench also. Then I play my wildcard for DGW34.
So then.......now what?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

One of the things i've taken from this season is that the change to the FA Cup scheduled dates where now only the semis clash with the league program is significant.

It's obviously with the benefit of hindsight, but it probably needs a bit more fortune than in previous seasons for a late wildcard to be preferable.

Maybe it's a far too generalised conclusion, as there are bound to be plenty who use a late wc extremely effectively and vice-versa for an early one, but I think the balance has changed.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Douglas Reynholm wrote:So then.......now what?
I think you have already read my post in other thread, haven't you? Because I have noticed you usually read very carefully everything I write :lol:

So, I don't know yet how this new information affects my wildcard plan, but I will sort it out tomorrow before doing my FT.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

liquidfootball2 wrote:It's obviously with the benefit of hindsight, but it probably needs a bit more fortune than in previous seasons for a late wildcard to be preferable.
Yes, I didn't specifically save my wildcard for late season, I would have played it if it had been worth it in some point of the early season. I just happened to pick a perfect initial team and throughout the season my team has been in good balance. Maybe I have done too good decisions overall and haven't been able to mess up my team and then fix it with wildcard :lol:

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Im kinda glad the DGW's have been spread out. Presently the most feasable option looks like splitting the DGW's planning normally for DGW 31, Blank 33 and DGW 34. This period will prob see Liverpool and Arsenal players dip a bit in price. Then wildcard to set up for the final weeks inclusive of DGW 37. Use additional transfers just a bonus, depending which teams pull up at the end of the season and if potential relegation teams start pulling some unexpected results out of the hat.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

So what are the wildcarders plans at this stage? There are a few different ways to go, but this will be a crucial decision for a lot of us I think.

Personally, the doubles in GW31 aren't of much interest to me. I have Guzan & Hutton, who will play, but I'm not using any transfers for doublers. The only 2 worth considering I think are Austin & Benteke. I see QPR's fixtures as being pretty tough, mostly because they are in terrible form. Away at WBA I doubt they'll even score. Away at Villa I think they'll lose the game... perhaps 2-1 or something similar. With Benteke, he starts off away at Man Utd. If I had to gamble it'd be on Benteke, but I'd rather keep my current strikers, rather than transferring him in, and then back out on the blank week. This would at that point cost me a hit, as I have other plans for players to get rid of.

My current plan is for a strong 11 (with 1 decent sub) in GW33, 3 Chelsea doublers in GW34 (with Sanchez being relieved of his duties... I'm actually planning on taking Fabregas rather than Costa). Then a wildcard in GW35. This will all be planned to get me maximum doublers in GW37, and also decent fixtures for my other choices. I'll decide how much risk I need to take at the time. I'm approx 50 pts behind, but still believe I'll make that up with this plan.

Are people following a similar route, or something different?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I'm essentially playing normally until we find out about Liverpool. If necessary I'll dive last minute on to some GW33 assets if it turns out they have a GW34 double. Otherwise it's pretty much business as usual till around GW35, although possibly with a slightly more cuthoat Arsenal player policy.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

I'd pretty much ruled out GW34 for the Liverpool double now. I'm not 100% sure why I'd done that though now that I think about it! I'd maybe WC a week early if that happened.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

My impression is that GW37 is probably much more likely due to time constraints, but we've been surprised at just about every rearrangement so far.

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Post by owenclass »

When to use the wildcard probably when Liverpool and Arsenal play twice

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Think I agree with many of the posts above; GW35 seems to be the 'time' imo. Should be able to blend a requisite balance of Liverpool, Arsenal. Kane is the one who troubles me; his fixtures are pretty awful bar Hull(h). I prefer Giroud GW34-38 for sure. (Kane is incredible value but with 4 weeks to go, points are everything so need to have a think about whether to keep)

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

I plan on shipping Kane for the sprint finish too. Unless Sanchez turns the corner again I can't envisage going without Giroud either.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

Agreed. Arsenal have a great run-in and Giroud currently looks essential. People shouldn't be afraid to dump Kane at this point. It's a 4-week game from there so you don't have to worry about his price or getting him back in.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Bobby Chopps wrote: Arsenal have a great run-in and Giroud currently looks essential. People shouldn't be afraid to dump Kane
I'd rather dump Austin and keep Kane (oh, wait, this is the wildcard thread...)

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

I have pretty much set myself on a wildcard for this week. I am not sure this is the best use tactically but my defence is looking pretty decimated now with the Dawson suspension, potential Rose injury and Wollscheid playing Chelsea and dodgy keepers. I could probably get away with using my free transfer or even a hit this week but I would have a sub-optimal team.

A wildcard now gives me the chance to get a jump on those ahead of me as I can set myself up really well for the next 4 gameweeks. I will then be able to use my free transfers after GW33 to get enough doublers for the Liverpool and Arsenal doubles. Its risky as I am currently looking at getting rid of Sanchez and/or Aguero and the timing of this Costa injury and uncertainty over Liverpool double is not ideal, but otherwise I think I am going to lose too much ground with my current side.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

It's a balancing act, helmethead. It sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself though! It's hard to say without seeing your squad but is it worthwhile using the WC to make a few extra points from your defenders/GK? Do we know Danny Rose won't be fit? Aren't your sub defenders going to play?

How much of an effect will WC'ing now have on you gaining doublers for 34 & 37? Have you factored in Liverpool's likely double in one of those weeks?

Make sure you're sure before you pull the trigger!

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

You are possibly right Bobby, I don't really want to use my wildcard at the moment as I won't actually change many of my front 8, maybe 2 midfielders and a striker as I am broadly happy with these players. I would however change all but 1 of my defenders and keepers.

My current team:

Pant Heaton
Wolly Ivanovic, Rose, PVA, Dawson
Sanchez, Hazard, Silva, Mane, Puncheon
Giroud, Aguero, Kane

My issue is the people I am chasing all have a similar front 8 but a much better defence. Therefore if I don't wildcard this week I can see myself falling further behind. If I do wildcard and don't change my front 8, I think I will be getting only a modest value from the wildcard, which may push me forward but may leave me worse off overall compared to if I saved my wildcard. If I wildcard and get rid of Aguero/Sanchez, there is a danger of me falling way behind if these players do well, but I can see much more upside in the next 4.

It kind of comes down to risk, do I wait, maybe take a hit and keep pace or do I go for a higher risk, higher reward strategy.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

Your defence looks ok to me. From the info you've given I wouldn't wildcard yet. How far behind are you in your league? Do your opponents take it seriously? ie are they likely to have planned 3-4 weeks ahead with regards to the blanks and the doubles? And do they have wildcards left?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”