To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Drew_Peacock
Grumpy Old Man

Re: GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

Post by Drew_Peacock »

Thanks to Sammy and Big Mon’s RMT threads i’ve now landed on this:

Schmeichel (Pantilimon)

Terry / Skrtel / Schlupp ( Bruce / van Aanholt )

Cambiasso / Hazard / Coutinho / Sterling / Fàbregas

Agüero (Kane / Giroud)

Still gives me 9 doublers and this makes things easy for a Fab :arrow: Sanchez and a Sterling :arrow: Ramsey move for GW 37 with no hits. I thought I had a lot more invested in Sanchez but upon looking at it, I don't so its no real issue to get him out now and buy him back in a week or two.

2 things playing on my mind currently though – namely:.

Is Coutinho a better bet than Henderson?
Should i play Cambiasso over Kane / Giroud?

Other than that i’m pretty much locked in.
Last edited by Drew_Peacock on 24 Apr 2015, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:Do you think that Costa will play 120+ minutes?
Probably not, but I'd much rather have him for however many minutes he manages than field Giroud/Kane in a tough game or punt on some Leicester striker. Chelsea have

Crystal Palace (H), Liverpool (H), West Brom (A), Sunderland (H)

afterwards, so it would hardly be a one week transfer. Costa could well be the big league climbing tool for the rest of the season with those fixtures as he will be very hard to attain for many other teams when transfers are being used on the Arsenal double. :D

Thinking about it, this is exactly the kind of potential situation I was hoping for with a wildcard in hand. :shock:

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Or he could play 30-60 minutes against Leicester, or suffer a recurrence against Arsenal, and end up being rotated due to injury issues when Chelsea have won the league. :lol:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

True, but then there's an easy transfer out in GW35 to any other striker - Benteke, Kane, Remy again, even Rooney, whoever. Low risk in terms of team structure.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Yeah, like low risk Rémy, as Mourinho will always tell us who will play at the weekend. :lol:

I don't think it will necessarily be a failure, but you seem very optimistic about his fitness.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Stemania wrote:
Probably not, but I'd much rather have him for however many minutes he manages than field Giroud/Kane in a tough game or punt on some Leicester striker. Chelsea have

afterwards, so it would hardly be a one week transfer. Costa could well be the big league climbing tool for the rest of the season with those fixtures as he will be very hard to attain for many other teams when transfers are being used on the Arsenal double. :D

Thinking about it, this is exactly the kind of potential situation I was hoping for with a wildcard in hand. :shock:

So tempting. Going to have a look at how I can fit him now but I suspect to carry him through to the end I'm going to have to sacrifice Aguero.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Stemania wrote:

So tempting. Going to have a look at how I can fit him now but I suspect to carry him through to the end I'm going to have to sacrifice Aguero.
The best I can do is something like:

Schmeichel, Pantilimon
Ivanovic, Skrtel, Schlupp, PVA, McShane
Hazard, Sterling, Henderson, Ramsey, Cambiasso
Aguero, Costa, Kane

Sterling & Costa to become Sanchez in Giroud in GW36 or 37.

It seems a big risk though.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Yeah, he's probably not for everyone as it will compromise elsewhere too much - but my apparent high team value seems to make it very possible.
Stemania wrote:Initial thoughts are now:

Schmeichel(x2)
Terry(x2), Moreno(x2), Bruce(x2)
Hazard(x2), Sterling(x2), Coutinho(x2), Silva(AVL), Albrighton(x2)
Costa(x2), Aguero(AVL)

(bench: Myhill, Duff, PVA, Giroud)

I like it. Ivan looks an unfortunate but necessary casualty though.
I suppose the problem with this team is that getting in Sanchez would require a proper rejig, most likely

Sterling, Coutinho, Silva -> Sanchez, Ramsey, 6.4m mid.

Another consideration might be

Schmeichel(x2)
Terry(x2), Moreno(x2), Bruce(x2)
Hazard(x2), Sterling(x2), Henderson(x2), Sanchez(CHE), Albrighton(x2)
Costa(x2), Aguero(AVL)

(bench: Myhill, Duff, PVA, Giroud)

but my team value then leaves me 0.2m short of a direct Sterling -> Ramsey anyway (though Cazorla possible). I could hope to make the money up or use a transfer on Moreno -> Alder after, but I think I'd almost rather have Coutinho over Henderson even if it costs a -4 in the long term. :?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I just woke up and heard the news so I don't have any final opinion on Costa. But my first thought is that I agree with CK.

He is expensive, there are many alternatives in Chelsea, his gametime is questionable and finally "then there's an easy transfer out in GW35 to any other striker" is the sentence I don't want to hear when my transfers will be very limited for the rest of the season anyway :lol:

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Finisher1 wrote:I just woke up and heard the news so I don't have any final opinion on Costa. But my first thought is that I agree with CK.

He is expensive, there are many alternatives in Chelsea, his gametime is questionable and finally "then there's an easy transfer out in GW35 to any other striker" is the sentence I don't want to hear when my transfers will be very limited for the rest of the season anyway :lol:
That's not a problem if the other striker is Giroud. It's no different to planning a Fabregas to Arsenal MF transfer that almost everyone is plotting.

For me it comes down to Ramsey & Costa v Giroud & Fabregas. Both Ramsey and Giroud would be benched anyway so it comes down to whether he can outscore Fabregas.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

The thing is, one of my transfers planned is Rémy :arrow: Giroud, so I could take DGW Costa and a few other Costa games for a (-4), I probably would if I thought Costa would start the next 3-5 matches, but it's not even sure he'll play 60 minutes in the DGW.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Sammy the Crab wrote:
Finisher1 wrote:I just woke up and heard the news so I don't have any final opinion on Costa. But my first thought is that I agree with CK.

That's not a problem if the other striker is Giroud. It's no different to planning a Fabregas to Arsenal MF transfer that almost everyone is plotting.
I think it is. I probably bring in Giroud this gameweek, and leave my two Arsenal midfield positions open. That means I have 2FT earmarked already. That is a lot.

Also, when I have 9 DGW players it would be kind of a miracle if they all survived DGW without injuries, suspensions, bench threat etc. So I totally expect the unexpected to happen, that is the key thing that many FPL managers fail to do.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Finisher1 wrote:
Sammy the Crab wrote:

I think it is. I probably bring in Giroud this gameweek, and leave my two Arsenal midfield positions open. That means I have 2FT earmarked already. That is a lot.

Also, when I have 9 DGW players it would be kind of a miracle if they all survived DGW without injuries, suspensions, bench threat etc. So I totally expect the unexpected to happen, that is the key thing that many FPL managers fail to do.
Almost every WC setup I've played with leaves me having to allocate two of my three pre-GW37 transfers on Arsenal players. The only way I can carry through two Arsenal players is to go with Ospina (who I really don't want) or to miss out on a decent DGW34 player. If you can carry through Giroud & Sanchez then I'd be interested to see your team.

If my TV was only a little higher I could afford Sanchez instead of Ramsey making the option more appealing. Stemania can no doubt afford this.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Finisher1 wrote:I just woke up...
At 3:42pm Finnish time? :lol: :P :wink:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

I think it's definitely fair to say that the best setup may well depend on everyone's individual team value.

I don't think any one of Sterling/Coutinho/Henderson/Fabregas/Costa/2nd Liv defender/2nd Che defender are 'must haves', and the best combination of these to go with (whilst also leaving a path to DG37 Arsenal) probably varies between individual teams.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:
Finisher1 wrote:I just woke up...
At 3:42pm Finnish time? :lol: :P :wink:
Yes :lol:

I had a day off and they are playing Stanley Cup Playoffs in North America and those games are at night in Finnish time :lol:

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Stemania wrote:

I think an important consideration is if Chelsea wrap up the title which they could on Weds how likely is Costa nailed on for the remaining fixtures, given his injury concerns, likelyhood of Dorgba getting a victory lap for a few games and Mourhino saying that Remy deserved more minutes.

With the immediate future in mind i dont see Costa playing Arsenal, Leicester and Palace in a week.

He may well not be the best selection for the rest of the season. Certainly the uncertainty is unsettling given a premium on future transfers. Im on my WC at the mo, so it is an option but looking at it, i think its a punt now/rest of the season.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

For sure, yes, it's a risky move, and I think most people would agree that of the options I have

Fabregas, Vardy, Lovren

is probably better than

Costa, Albrighton, Moreno

for the double alone. But, long term I can't help but think I'd rather have the 2nd distribution of money. If he stayed fit I'd much prefer Costa to either Fabregas or Silva for the rest of the season (the other of which would go for Sanchez). Close call for sure.

I'm not sure I like the other direction of the popular mid price Benteke as a third striker - their fixtures look a bit tougher to me than has been made out and he restricts the doubler count in the mean time.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

yes, its what may happen once Chelsea wrap up the title thats putting me off as much as the complexity of getting him into a team I'd be happy with. Looks to complicated on paper to switch over to Arsenal by GW37 to consider Costa.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Costa possibly would be under the most danger, but I'm not convinced that he would be significantly more likely to be rested in the run in than the likes of Ivanovic, Terry, Fabregas etc as games might also want to be given to Zouma/Luis/Cuadrado/Ramires/Mikel etc. They've also played 442 a few times when Remy/Drog have come on.

We're probably talking a couple of weeks before we might see that type of thing happen, by which time Costa 'should' be 100% again anyway. Hard to predict - does anyone know if Mourinho has a record of that type of post title-run in rotation at say Porto, etc?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Surely Drogba gets the last home game, but apart from that I'd have thought we'd just be looking at younger players like Zouma getting game time assuming that Mourinho sees them as the future.

I doubt there would be massive full scale squad rotation apart from maybe Oscar and Willian with the Copa America in the summer (if they are likely to go)?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

What are people's thoughts on McShane and Bruce btw (sorry if it's been covered)? Chester's return seems imminent, and Davies is surely not far behind.

Bruce safe for the double maybe, but neither safe for the attractive GW36 (which seems one of the only reasons to bother going with a Hull defender)?

I'm actually tempted just to go Lovren/Morgan over Moreno/Hull to reduce the uncertainty, but Lovren might be subject tho the same issue when Sakho is back around GW37 if not sooner. :?

Also, is there any reason for the widespread preference of Schlup to Morgan? I prefer Morgan for goal threat and BPS potential but seem to be alone in that, and he's 0.1m cheaper.

wibble_mcwoo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Meh. Best c. 3,000th; usually in the 10,000's these days

Post by wibble_mcwoo »

I'm going for Morgan, but it's a toss up really. FFS throw Huth into the pot as another potential.

My main quandary is whether to go for Cambiasso and money in the bank for Ramsey, or bring Ramsey in now and save a transfer. At the moment, I'll have exactly three free transfers to bring in three Arsenal players. The chances of someone else getting injured or something are pretty high, so it's feeling like a question of whether Cambiasso can score four more points than Ramsey this GW. Tricky given Jose's bus-parking

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

Post by eastcentral1 »

wibble_mcwoo wrote:I'm going for Morgan, but it's a toss up really. FFS throw Huth into the pot as another potential.

My main quandary is whether to go for Cambiasso and money in the bank for Ramsey, or bring Ramsey in now and save a transfer. At the moment, I'll have exactly three free transfers to bring in three Arsenal players. The chances of someone else getting injured or something are pretty high, so it's feeling like a question of whether Cambiasso can score four more points than Ramsey this GW. Tricky given Jose's bus-parking
For this reason I'm pretty much settled on bringing in Giroud and putting him on the bench.

wibble_mcwoo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Meh. Best c. 3,000th; usually in the 10,000's these days

Post by wibble_mcwoo »

Hmm, that makes me think of something. I could I suppose choose between Ramsey (CHE), Kane (sot) and Benteke (mcy) for the bench - given Jose's game plan, Ramsey might even sit on the bench himself. It would then be a question of whether Cambiasso can score 4 more than whichever one I choose out of those three. But I'm bound to pick wrongly of course!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

I'm not sure I'd be confident of Cambiasso scoring 4 more than just about every Arsenal attacking asset. He's only starting 2 points ahead from the extra game.

I'm also considering playing Giroud over my likely Leicester mid Albrighton for this very reason, but it's close for sure.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

What goalkeepers are you going to bring in DGW team?

I'm surprised that Stemania is going to keep Myhill on bench. Apart from GW36 his fixtures are terrible, and that GW36 fixture NEW(A) is not that delicious either. Why on earth don't you bring in some decent backup goalie?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Leicester's fixtures for the rest of the season are good enough to just stick with him.

Newcastle (H), Southampton (H), Sunderland (A), QPR (H).

There are a few places I would like to have a bit more money to feed into the subs or rotating defenders (Cambiasso in for Albrighton, Skrtel in for Moreno/Lovren or Ivan in place of Terry), but with money tight a backup goalkeeper if fairly far down that list.

I'd rather just have a backup who plays in Myhill than pay 0.4/0.5m for a backup with worse fixtures than Schmeichel's. Myhill's only good game is when Leicester play Southampton, so it's not too bad a pairing.

If I don't go with Costa I might be flushed enough to spread the funds a bit, but the backup goalkeeper position is far from my priority tbh.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

So you think it's not smart to bring in Pantilimon at 4.5m for DGW37?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Pantilimon is the obvious one to go for if the money is available because of their double, but realistically we'd only play him in GW37 if we had Schmeichel and him. Sunderland play Leicester in GW37 anyway, so really it's a payment of 0.5m for an extra away game at Arsenal. Doesn't sound that great an investment then.

The one I would go with given the money is Davis as a backup instead, as broadly speaking their defence seems much stronger than Leicester's (who I don't really trust tbh). I'd probably then field Davis in GWs 35-37, but at the moment the 0.5m is vital elsewhere.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”