To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: GW34 (wildcard) Strategy

Post by Stemania »

I'm still not 100% decided on whether I'll be wildcarding - and finally had time to look at a potential team. This is the team I can muster with a 4ph by saving it:

Myhill(LIV)
Ivan(x2), Skrtel(x2), Bertrand(TOT)/Upson(x2)
Hazard(x2), Sterling(x2), Coutinho(x2), Silva(AVL)
Remy(x2), Aguero(AVL), Kane(sou)

(bench: Hamer, Boyd(LEI), PVA(sto))

It actually looks pretty strong to me, and comparing to the starting eleven of the team I would probably wildcard to

Schmeichel(x2)
Ivan(x2), Skrtel(x2), Schlup(x2)
Hazard(x2), Sterling(x2), Coutinho(x2), Cambiasso(x2)
Remy(x2), Aguero(AVL), Giroud(CHE)

(bench: Myhill, PVA, Yoshida, Sanchez)

the difference is essentially

Schmeichel, Schlup, Cambiasso, Giroud(tough game) vs Myhill, Bertrand(ok game), Silva(good game), Kane(tough game)

I think I'm losing out on goalkeepers and possibly Schlup vs say Bertrand. Giroud vs Kane is probably a push, and then Silva is imo better than even two games from Cambiasso. So, not a huge improvement in my eyes, if any at all. Close call as to whether it's worth a wildcard imo and may come down to whether Alderweireld is ruled out for the season or not or whether Upson is finally fit again. :|

I may well be able to beat any potential points gains by wildcarding GW35/36 instead and having a free pass out of Remy and the Liverpool lot/free choice of potential form strikers for the run in etc, but it looks marginal.

Keeping the wildcard was looking much nicer when I was hopeful Sturridge would be fit, I will say that. Now, not so sure.
Last edited by Stemania on 22 Apr 2015, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

It could go either way. Your expect an Arsenal clean sheet against Sunderland so would expect Koscielny to be on for a solid 8pts or so whilst crossing your fingers that he heads one in and picks up a monster. There's every chance though that Ramsey or Ozil (I think Sanchez & Giroud are obvious picks) could pick up a monster.

The big advantage for Koscielny is the obvious Skrtel :arrow: Kos transfer in 36.

Damn, I was pretty set on my wildcard team yesterday now I've got allsorts of crazy ideas going through my head involving Vardy and Diame (who could be the one to save Hull's season). Leaving Giroud benched seems pretty unambitious when I'm way off the top 10k.

EDIT - that was to Notned

Stemania, I'd definitely save the wildcard in your shoes, there's not a lot in it between your wildcard and non-wildcard teams if you're set on keeping Remy. Silva could outscore the other lot by himself. I've actually got a horrible feeling about this week.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I'm not set on keeping Remy, but if it looks like he's going to be fit on the back of Friday's press conference (assuming we can glean something from Mourinho's smokescreens) then he still looks to have the biggest points ceiling of the third Chelsea options imo and the only Chelsea player I can see being a real fpl game changer.

If Remy is ruled out I'll hit the wildcard button on Friday for sure and go with Fabregas or Terry, but it's probably optimistic that we'll find out anything useful.

If Silva is ruled out I'll probably make the move too.

Oatfedgoat
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 573rd in FPL 09/10. 176pts in DGW22 of 09/10.

Post by Oatfedgoat »

I've also been concerened at not playing my wildcard.

I currently have Ivanovic, Terry, Hazard, Henderson, Sterling & Vardy to give me 6 doublers.
Ideally I'd like a Liverpool defender + Schmeical. But that is not worth an 8 point hit or wasting a wildcard IMO.

Even though City are off form currently, their fixtures are too tempting to drop Silva and Aguero imo.

I'm saving the wildcard as I currently have no Arsenal players for their DGW.
Saving the WC will allow me to shift funds from defence to Forwards and also bring in players for the run in.

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

I'm not convinced by Southampton's remaining fixtures. They've not been as steady away lately and have 3/5 away. I own Bertrand but won't play him this week due to doublers so considering dropping him for Duff and using the cash to switch Kane to Benteke.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I told you before that I'm going to bring in all three Arsenal players in wildcard, but now I'm not so sure. I might bring in only Giroud to my wildcard team, and earmark 2FT to bring in two midfielders later, in order to get more DGW players for this GW34.

I know earmarking 2FT for 3GW period might backfire, but the worst case scenario would probably mean only -4 points. Also, bringing in both mids now would include a risk that either of them gets slight knock or become less attractive for some reason. There are plenty of options in Arsenal midfield so things might easily change in three-game period.

PSA
Grumpy Old Man

Post by PSA »

What are people's thoughts on Zouma?

I'm on a wildcard and releases funds to change to get some Arsenal players ready for the DGW37. Any Chelsea fans know if he'll play both games? I just feel Jose will want to 'park the bus' so to speak and grind out a couple 1-0's.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Sammy the Crab wrote:It could go either way. Your expect an Arsenal clean sheet against Sunderland so would expect Koscielny to be on for a solid 8pts or so whilst crossing your fingers that he heads one in and picks up a monster. There's every chance though that Ramsey or Ozil (I think Sanchez & Giroud are obvious picks) could pick up a monster.

The big advantage for Koscielny is the obvious Skrtel :arrow: Kos transfer in 36.

Damn, I was pretty set on my wildcard team yesterday now I've got allsorts of crazy ideas going through my head involving Vardy and Diame (who could be the one to save Hull's season). Leaving Giroud benched seems pretty unambitious when I'm way off the top 10k.

EDIT - that was to Notned

Stemania, I'd definitely save the wildcard in your shoes, there's not a lot in it between your wildcard and non-wildcard teams if you're set on keeping Remy. Silva could outscore the other lot by himself. I've actually got a horrible feeling about this week.
All very valid points. My decision is probably made slightly easier though by the fact I will most likely be going without Sanchez. I don't have the funds to bring him in directly, and won't have a spare transfer to downgrade significantly elsewhere. I'll just have to hope he doesn't go ballistic.

My choice will most likely be something like Koscielny, Ramsey or Ozil, Giroud vs Ramsey, Ozil and Giroud. Not going to get preoccupied with it though, will just play it by ear and hop onto the form options at the time. The only one of the three set in stone thus far is that Giroud will almost certainly come in for Remy next week...

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

PSA wrote:What are people's thoughts on Zouma?

I'm on a wildcard and releases funds to change to get some Arsenal players ready for the DGW37. Any Chelsea fans know if he'll play both games? I just feel Jose will want to 'park the bus' so to speak and grind out a couple 1-0's.
None of us "know" but I would be amazed if he started both of them. I would be far less surprised if he started neither to be honest. The one glimmer of hope is that the team was so successful with United, Jose could employ the same team and tactics. But no chance in hell he does the same vs Leicester. My advice is if you want a cheap 6 Pts from the DGW just go with Matic as he is the first person on the team sheet every game.

helmethead
FISOhead

Post by helmethead »

Sammy, I think you are looking at good options for GW 36. I am probably going for McShane as I can only afford 3.9/4m for my last defensive position and Hull do have fairly decent defensive stats over the last few gameweeks (particularly in terms of shots conceded), but I think either of the other two oprions could be better in terms of points potential for that week.

My choices for the wildcard are pretty much down to:-
1. Terry, Ramsey, Coutinho, Fellaini, Kane with no easy route to get Sanchez back vs:
2. Morgan, Sanchez, Henderson, Fabregas, Vardy.

I am currently favouring 2 as it gives me an easy option to get a full complement of Arsenal attackers for GW35, but 1 gives me a slightly better GW34 team and avoids getting rid of Kane. I will probably chance my mind several times before the WC is confirmed though.

Edit - sorry this is a response to page 6 of the thread and the discussion has since moved on, still getting used to the first unread post option!

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

I think I'll probably take McShane too. The 0.5 extra for the other options is a big jump for effectively one game. I just know it will price me out of a later move too.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Sammy the Crab wrote:I think I'll probably take McShane too. The 0.5 extra for the other options is a big jump for effectively one game. I just know it will price me out of a later move too.
I'll be keeping an eye on Southampton's imminent press conference as if Alderweired is ruled out for anything over three more weeks then Yoshida becomes a bit of a wildcard no-brainer imo. GW36 vs Leicester.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

For anyone that still had Sturridge in his mind (or team... blegh), he seems to be out for the WBA game:
Rodgers confirms Daniel Sturridge won't be fit to face West Brom. "We're unsure (when he'll be back)."
https://twitter.com/TonyBarretTimes/sta ... 9763513347

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Makes Sterling more appealing...

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Great news for Sterling and Coutinho buyers, definitely. I'm just glad we finally have a relatively definitive answer.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Stemania wrote:
Sammy the Crab wrote:I think I'll probably take McShane too. The 0.5 extra for the other options is a big jump for effectively one game. I just know it will price me out of a later move too.
I'll be keeping an eye on Southampton's imminent press conference as if Alderweired is ruled out for anything over three more weeks then Yoshida becomes a bit of a wildcard no-brainer imo. GW36 vs Leicester.
Apparently Alder should be fit. for this weekend. :(

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

So I am still tinkering with various WC teams and running them through to the end of the season. I have always thought I would be getting Cambiasso in for the DGW and to replace Boyd as my cheap enabler in the MF for the rest of the way. Fixtures are good and the DGW gives the impression of a 4pt haul. However if I had him it looks as if I would be benching Giroud in order to play him for the DGW. Now I don't think Giroud will score 4 pts and is in store for a nice 2 pt showing to be sure. However, if I run through the rest of the season Cambiasso will be on my bench every week. Is it really worth spending the extra money there when I could just go with King at 4.2 and have the additional funds to be used later? Could be the difference between Ramsey, Cazorla and Ozil for the Arsenal double.

Bobby Chopps
FISOhead

Post by Bobby Chopps »

ctibbits wrote:So I am still tinkering with various WC teams and running them through to the end of the season. I have always thought I would be getting Cambiasso in for the DGW and to replace Boyd as my cheap enabler in the MF for the rest of the way. Fixtures are good and the DGW gives the impression of a 4pt haul. However if I had him it looks as if I would be benching Giroud in order to play him for the DGW. Now I don't think Giroud will score 4 pts and is in store for a nice 2 pt showing to be sure. However, if I run through the rest of the season Cambiasso will be on my bench every week. Is it really worth spending the extra money there when I could just go with King at 4.2 and have the additional funds to be used later? Could be the difference between Ramsey, Cazorla and Ozil for the Arsenal double.
Agree here. I'm taking King because he's 4.2 and it makes life easier elsewhere. He'll be benched every week unless something dramatic happens.

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Post by The Catman »

Or Albrighton at 4.2 as well.....

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Well King isn't even in the FFS predicted team. I'm not saying that they are usually spot on but enough doubt to rule him out for me.

Chances of Albrighton starting both?

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Sammy the Crab wrote:Well King isn't even in the FFS predicted team. I'm not saying that they are usually spot on but enough doubt to rule him out for me.

The point isn't about him starting or not. Its more of a realization that I would be getting Cambiasso in at 4.8 just for a DGW that I expect 4 pts from. He will be benched every week for the rest of the season so comes down to deciding if it is worth taking 0.6 million of your funds for what is essentially 2 pts. I really could care less if King got any minutes because he will never get off my bench anyway. It could be anyone at 4.2 not just King.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Well Cambiasso has 10, 6, 6 in his last three and appears absolutely nailed on. I'd say most are hoping for more than 4pts.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Cambiasso is my great hope for Leicester attacking points! If you're only expecting 4,don't bother getting him in. I'm expecting more.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Against Chelsea's defence and Burnley at home who in their last three held City and Tottenham scoreless while allowing a lone goal from Arsenal. I think the odds of him getting no attacking returns in both games are much better than him getting any. I haven't even looked at the bookies odds but surely the clean sheet has got to be fairly heavily weighted in both instances.

big mon
Treebeard
FS Record: Nepal's Number 1 :)

Post by big mon »

ctibbits wrote:
Sammy the Crab wrote:Well King isn't even in the FFS predicted team. I'm not saying that they are usually spot on but enough doubt to rule him out for me.

The point isn't about him starting or not. Its more of a realization that I would be getting Cambiasso in at 4.8 just for a DGW that I expect 4 pts from. He will be benched every week for the rest of the season so comes down to deciding if it is worth taking 0.6 million of your funds for what is essentially 2 pts. I really could care less if King got any minutes because he will never get off my bench anyway. It could be anyone at 4.2 not just King.
I too considered Albrighton for the same reason, but the big assumption here is that you won't get any injuries in 5 weeks! If you want to take that gamble - and you've played around with your strategy to know what benefit the extra 0.6 will bring - then you should downgrade. My philosophy is that this WC is to set you up for the run-in, and flexibility in a decent bench option is part of that. Plus I've also planned all my transfers and I don't need the extra green.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

big mon wrote:
ctibbits wrote:

I too considered Albrighton for the same reason, but the big assumption here is that you won't get any injuries in 5 weeks! If you want to take that gamble - and you've played around with your strategy to know what benefit the extra 0.6 will bring - then you should downgrade. My philosophy is that this WC is to set you up for the run-in, and flexibility in a decent bench option is part of that. Plus I've also planned all my transfers and I don't need the extra green.
Have you thought of bringing in Murray (Hull, H) and Vardy (DGW) for For Kane and Giroud. Means you could upgrade Cambiasso to Ramsey/Ozil (depending on your situation) and bench for this GW. Would this leave you with enough funds for Giroud next week? Means loosing Kane but his next fixtures look challenging until GW 37.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

The Username wrote:
big mon wrote:
ctibbits wrote:

Have you thought of bringing in Murray (Hull, H) and Vardy (DGW) for For Kane and Giroud. Means you could upgrade Cambiasso to Ramsey/Ozil (depending on your situation) and bench for this GW. Would this leave you with enough funds for Giroud next week? Means loosing Kane but his next fixtures look challenging until GW 37.
It means switching to a 352 though which I really don't like. There's probably 5 or 6 strikers that I'd be happy to gamble on over the last 5 games and not really many midfielders.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

So....Costa 'will play' against Leicester if he doesn't make this weekend. Remy uncertain.

Wildcard it is for me after all, with Costa a sudden big candidate! :shock:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Initial thoughts are now:

Schmeichel(x2)
Terry(x2), Moreno(x2), Bruce(x2)
Hazard(x2), Sterling(x2), Coutinho(x2), Silva(AVL), Albrighton(x2)
Costa(x2), Aguero(AVL)

(bench: Myhill, Duff, PVA, Giroud)

I like it. Ivan looks an unfortunate but necessary casualty though.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Do you think that Costa will play 120+ minutes?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”