To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Costa?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Costa or not?

Poll ended at 21 Feb 2015, 09:25

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 39

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: Costa?

Post by liquidfootball2 »

ctibbits wrote:I am sure there are many that would love to have him as I do. However with only three strikers it seems risky. Would be madness to not have Giroud right now and the same can be said for Kane considering the VFM involved and their fixtures. This leaves the third spot where most have Aguero. He has been awful but can anyone really risk not having him the week he comes back to form considering the ownership level?
I've considered this too, and now have a JT-Haz-Costa plan and a separate JT-Haz-Ivan plan (with the in-form Giroud continuing alongside.
Aguero).

I think Arsenal, like Chelsea, do have great fixtures with only Liverpool and Chelsea difficult, so i'm probably slightly swayed towards keeping Giroud and changing formation for gwks 33 (Giroud benched) and 34 (Kane benched). I will probably look into the possibility of changing Aguero to Sturridge at gwk34 dependant on how Sturridge progresses.

mayweather
FISOhead

Post by mayweather »

want cesc ahead of costa. easier to switch from eriksen. but at 9 yellows i cant. im hoping cesc might take a card this weekend. was looking at the fixtures and if he doesnt pick up a card its likely hell miss at least one big game if not both of them.

MrrDrr
Treebeard

Post by MrrDrr »

mayweather wrote:want cesc ahead of costa. easier to switch from eriksen. but at 9 yellows i cant. im hoping cesc might take a card this weekend. was looking at the fixtures and if he doesnt pick up a card its likely hell miss at least one big game if not both of them.
I had no idea Cesc was on 9 bookings. Thanks for the heads up.

RidleyMTB
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RidleyMTB »

Ivan/Terry/Hazard here. Mostly because I would like Aguero/Giroud/Kane up front.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Well, I think Arsenal's DGW37 date now make Giroud to Costa a bit of a no-brainer next week given the 4 gameweek fixture difference:

Giroud (LIV, bur, - , CHE)

Costa (STO, qpr, MUN, ars, LEI)

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

I'm bringing him in. Only difference is that now Cazorla will free up funds, instead of Eriksen.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Stemania wrote:Well, I think Arsenal's DGW37 date now make Giroud to Costa a bit of a no-brainer next week given the 4 gameweek fixture difference:

Hard to argue with that.

Sanchez probably the current frontrunner to be sacrificed to free up the funds for those who still own him.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

thesilkworm wrote:
Stemania wrote:Well, I think Arsenal's DGW37 date now make Giroud to Costa a bit of a no-brainer next week given the 4 gameweek fixture difference:

Hard to argue with that.

Sanchez probably the current frontrunner to be sacrificed to free up the funds for those who still own him.
With the blank gameweek yes, although Sanchez will become a bit of a differential if you can afford both him and Costa. Having said that, I suspect that I will just make that switch and then look to switch back again in GW35.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Yes Giroud to Costa definitely after this gwk and Sanchez will probably go for me too.

Although he has good fixtures an alternative is Eriksen to Mane may be suffice to keep Sanchez. I'm really not keen on Eriksen and may lose him instead.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

And if Costa picks up a yellow this weekend? I'd probably hold off in that scenario, what would you do?

Costa's likely purchase next week is making me change my mind on bringing in Alderweireld this week too. The extra cash (a swing of 0.8 between a Leicester defender or Alders) allows me any midfielder I want in place of Sanchez. Have to say, I'm really tempted by Ramsey despite the blank and obvious rotation risk.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

How many games does Costa have to play without getting booked before it resets?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

From memory it's the second Sunday in April, which is the Sunday of GW32. So, all he has to do is avoid 2 yellows in 3 games.

The date seems a bit unfair really as the teams that play on that Monday night get one fewer game to get the cards in.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Cool, thanks.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Mav3rick wrote:And if Costa picks up a yellow this weekend? I'd probably hold off in that scenario, what would you do?

Costa's likely purchase next week is making me change my mind on bringing in Alderweireld this week too. The extra cash (a swing of 0.8 between a Leicester defender or Alders) allows me any midfielder I want in place of Sanchez. Have to say, I'm really tempted by Ramsey despite the blank and obvious rotation risk.

Mav3rick, i've just read your post and it mirrors my thoughts almost exactly, these are the points i've been mulling over and come to virtually the same conclusions re-Alderweireld and looking at Ramsey despite the blank.

I'm seriously thinking of switching my reserve keeper to Myhill this week and benching Myhill until 31 as it'll delay a firm decision until after the weekend and give me the chance to play Myhill in West Broms next few after the weekend. I have two transfers so will have to do something.

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Thanks Stem and Mav - your posts have helped me make my mind up on my transfers for the week.

Cazorla :arrow: Ramsey this week leaves just enough left in the bank for Giroud :arrow: Costa next week.

The first is a sideways move but my gut is telling me Ramsey is worth a shot (it's not always right admittedly!) . Costa I'm not totally convinced by but it certainly makes sense to bring him soon given the fixtures (assuming no card issues to worry about).

The alternative would be to double up on chelsea defence before the DGW and bring Terry in alongside Ivan. As most of the leaders seem to have Terry I'm reluctant to make that move however.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:And if Costa picks up a yellow this weekend? I'd probably hold off in that scenario, what would you do?

Mav3rick, i've just read your post and it mirrors my thoughts almost exactly, these are the points i've been mulling over and come to virtually the same conclusions re-Alderweireld and looking at Ramsey despite the blank.

I'm seriously thinking of switching my reserve keeper to Myhill this week and benching Myhill until 31 as it'll delay a firm decision until after the weekend and give me the chance to play Myhill in West Broms next few after the weekend. I have two transfers so will have to do something.
We're in identical positions then. I too have been thinking of Myhill as if Pantilimon does get dropped then I'd have no keeper and it would cause me a -4 or two gameweeks without a keeper.

In a use it or lose it situation, it's either downgrade Hutton to free up funds, bring in a sub keeper or decide now what to do with Sanchez/Eriksen. I had also considered Betrand :arrow: Alderweireld, but the extra money saved isn't enough to make a difference in the Costa move so I'm ruling that one out.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Yes Giroud to Costa definitely after this gwk and Sanchez will probably go for me too.

Although he has good fixtures an alternative is Eriksen to Mane may be suffice to keep Sanchez. I'm really not keen on Eriksen and may lose him instead.
I've been looking at this, but just not sure I trust Mane to start every game given the options they have at saints.

I'm half thinking of a 4 game run from Bolasie, swapping him at GW35 with anyone with a good last four games.

That lets me keep alderweireld rather than Mane too.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

While I think I'll likely do Sanchez -> mid-priced midfielder to fund Costa, I think that if I was instead going to do mid-priced -> cheap mid, I'd be leaning towards Sigurdsson ahead of the likes of Mane. He's surely nailed on to be playing in the hole for the rest of the season for a top-half team, on set pieces, and has looked dangerous since returning from injury. He also has decent fixtures.

RidleyMTB
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RidleyMTB »

Archy wrote:Thanks Stem and Mav - your posts have helped me make my mind up on my transfers for the week.

Cazorla :arrow: Ramsey this week leaves just enough left in the bank for Giroud :arrow: Costa next week.
Cue a Cazorla penalty :wink:

MurfDawg
Kevin and Perry

Post by MurfDawg »

Giroud to Costa for me after this GW, I've freed up funds for that move this week and getting rid of an Arsenal defender in the process.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

I'm not at all convinced by Ramsey as a pick.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Tempted by holding off Costa until GW33 and then doing Cazorla/Eriksen and Giroud :arrow: Henderson and Costa.

That way I still get Arsenal's fixture away at Burnley, Henderson in time for Liverpool's good run and possible double, and crucially chance to avoid/ react to any Costa suspension.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Stemania wrote:I'm not at all convinced by Ramsey as a pick.
Yes there are rotation doubts and a missing gwk33 to contend with as well, but i think things may become a lot clearer after this weekend when some we'll know some answers.

Will Costa pick up another yellow?

Will Ramsey start and get points or Sanchez play wide and blank again?

Does Eriksens blank run carry on?

Or just the reverse of the above with a big haul for Sanchez, good points for Eriksen and no yellow for Costa.

Whatever the case i think i'll have more answers and be in a much better position to make the right call after the weekends games than before. Therefore the decision on whether to do the Eriksen to Siggy or Sanchez to mid-price mid transfer to finance Giroud to Costa is best delayed until then.

So i think getting Myhill for my reserve keeper to cover Pantillimon and step in for 31, 32 and possibly 33 (dependant on Foster) is the right transfer for now.

Notned's post above interests me too so i'll see if this is worth looking at for me.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

With Arsenal's tough minirun and blank after this week, and Ramsey's obvious rotation risk, I really don't see why anyone should be even considering him over the likes of Siggy/Mane + cash in the short term.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

No one tempted by the DGW next week - Austin? Benteke? for a week hold via a couple of likely price rises?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Stemania wrote:With Arsenal's tough minirun and blank after this week, and Ramsey's obvious rotation risk, I really don't see why anyone should be even considering him over the likes of Siggy/Mane + cash in the short term.
Yes i'm only looking at it as a possible rather than probable and benching 33. He's shown good signs and i usually go with form over fixtures if i think he'll be worth it, but I agree there are a lot of factors against it.

Siggy is a very good option and i prefer him to Mane as more certain of his place and has looked likely in recent games. Both have decent fixtures but i'm thinking gwk31 transfers and prefer Swansea's up to gwk34 when i'd likely swap to Henderson.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Stemania wrote:With Arsenal's tough minirun and blank after this week, and Ramsey's obvious rotation risk, I really don't see why anyone should be even considering him over the likes of Siggy/Mane + cash in the short term.
Probably because those 2 are hardly going to pull up trees for anyone, I'm sure most have players that 'tick along' in their squads while players like Ramsey offer the rank busting potential because he's so lowly owned before he does well and is not lowly owned.

There's risk attached to every player you bring in and I'm sure there's some out there who know where their balls are.

I haven't brought Ramsey in but don't see what's so hard to understand at those that may have jumped on after last week.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

It's nothing to do with balls, Ramsey is imo a terrible transfer compared to the mid-price nailed on picks with good fixtures like Siggy - he was just left out in the important CL game implying that he may not be first choice. Even if he misses just one of Arsenal's next three games that means he only has 2 fixtures in 4 gamesweeks, and two of the possible three are LIV, CHE. Surely a lesson has been learnt from Walcott. :shock:

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

I think Siggy and Mane are terrible transfers at this moment in time, nailed on and fixtures does not always translate to points, yes, Walcott may have flopped but Austin never and neither did Silva at the time I brought them in (before they became comittee approved) so it's swings and roundabouts, if you got everyone right you would be looking to win the whole thing wouldn't you?

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Actually, the perfect example to counter your Walcott point is Billy Bongo who brought Silva in a week after he came back from injury and showed a bit of form on the pitch, captained him the following week while others were cautious and the rest is history, he then captained him again while others were cautious and reaped the rewards again.

Surely lessons can be learned from Billy B?

Like I say, swings and roundabouts.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”