To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Charlie Austin is a pub standard footballer

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Charlie Austin is a pub standard footballer

Post by um09a2k »

....who plays for a pub standard club. 2 of his goals today came from a soft penalty decision and an opportunistic 3 yard tap in. such pub football, such mediocrity.

i would rather quit this game than transfer such an obviously overrated and frankly non-talented player.

thekitkatshuffler
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Charlie Austin is a pub standard footballer

Post by thekitkatshuffler »

The same could be said about you as a football analyst.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

Do you get an extra point if the goals are from outside of the box? :oops:

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Oh.... :lol:

sir_skillalot
Treebeard

Post by sir_skillalot »

He's also had more shots on target than anyone else in the Premier League over the last 6 weeks. Good strikers get themselves into good positions. I never heard anyone complaining about how many tap ins Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored

thekitkatshuffler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thekitkatshuffler »

...2 of his goals today came from a massive deflection and an opportunistic 3 yard tap in. such pub football, such mediocrity.

I would rather quit this game than transfer such an obviously overrated and frankly non-talented player.

That David Silva, huh? The Dog and Duck should sign him up.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

To be fair amongst the hyperbole he makes a good point, we shouldn't always react just by looking at the points scores. Charlie Austin is of course a good pick for 6.0m and has showed he is up to Premier League standard, with some great finishing. Benteke looked as dangerous on todays showing, and I expect Ings and Berahino to eclipse Austin's achievements over their careers.
sir_skillalot wrote:I never heard anyone complaining about how many tap ins Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored
Really, I used to love reeling out the stat that Kezman scored more outside the box at one point. - Remember the Kezman goal that slipped through Király's tracksuit bottoms. :lol:

Not sure if RvN ever managed a goal outside the box. :lol:

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Their careers? Why is that even a talking point? Surely people are only looking towards the Jan WC?

um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Post by um09a2k »

sir_skillalot wrote:He's also had more shots on target than anyone else in the Premier League over the last 6 weeks. Good strikers get themselves into good positions. I never heard anyone complaining about how many tap ins Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored
Van Nistelrooy had more to him than that.

Austin has no real technical ability or quality. All I see is someone who poaches goals from the opposition's misfortune. He needs to go back to the championship where he belongs.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Poaching goals, what a poor quality.

um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Post by um09a2k »

gunnersaurus wrote:Poaching goals, what a poor quality.
Javier Hernandez's English counterpart. He'll be found out soon enough.

sir_skillalot
Treebeard

Post by sir_skillalot »

Austin is the focal point of everything that QPR do, there's no other striker for that price who will get as many chances as him at the moment.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

With all these fancy false nines and teams who rely on midfielders and wide players to get their goals these days, it's good to see some good old fashioned strikers making an impact. Lead the line, keep defenders busy and put your chances away. Players who can do that are worth their weight in gold, particularly for teams fighting relegation.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

I'm sure Austin would love a move to Madrid after winning a title or two, might not happen at QPR though.

chandler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by chandler »

I agree he has less technical ability than most top tier strikers but he has that clinical instinct in front of goal, à la Raúl and Rhodes

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

If Jordan Rhodes gets any better he might threaten to break back into the Scotland squad. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hybrid713
Kevin and Perry

Post by hybrid713 »

In life, being at the right place at the right time can make all the difference. For most of us it can be luck, but the same cannot be said for strikers like him. That's why he's paid over a million quid a year whilst a pub footballer isn't.

woodlark
Wideboy

Post by woodlark »

John Barnes, Ian Wright, Les Ferdinand, Chris Waddle etc etc all former Non League strikers who had to keep scoring goals wherever they were to get to the top. Charlie Austin is so close now. Just an England call up in 2015 would cap his rise.
Last edited by woodlark on 21 Dec 2014, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

ruudy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ruudy »

I refer you to the Austin goal v Southampton earlier in the season.

Nuff said.

woodlark
Wideboy

Post by woodlark »

Incidentally he would get my call up before Welbeck every day of the week.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

um09a2k wrote:Austin has no real technical ability or quality. All I see is someone who poaches goals from the opposition's misfortune. He needs to go back to the championship where he belongs.
You're refusing to put a player into your team, because you don't think that he's technically any good. :shock:

As you've posted this an FPL thread, we're obviously talking fantasy (unless your posting is as confused as your other thinking). In fantasy, I for one, am prepared to put anyone who regularly stumbles over his own feet into my team if he's lucky enough to score a lot of goals. I'm a Kevin Phillips sort of guy, me. Results justify the means and either you don't really understand the point of fantasy or you enjoy grandstanding.

chandler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by chandler »

ruudy wrote:I refer you to the Austin goal v Southampton earlier in the season.

Nuff said.
Compare that one to the one Pellè scored soon after

um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Post by um09a2k »

Striker wrote:
um09a2k wrote:Austin has no real technical ability or quality. All I see is someone who poaches goals from the opposition's misfortune. He needs to go back to the championship where he belongs.
You're refusing to put a player into your team, because you don't think that he's technically any good. :shock:

As you've posted this an FPL thread, we're obviously talking fantasy (unless your posting is as confused as your other thinking). In fantasy, I for one, am prepared to put anyone who regularly stumbles over his own feet into my team if he's lucky enough to score a lot of goals. I'm a Kevin Phillips sort of guy, me. Results justify the means and either you don't really understand the point of fantasy or you enjoy grandstanding.
I'm a firm believer in long-termism, and I don't think Austin can keep this up over the whole season.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

woodlark wrote:Incidentally he would get my call up before Welbeck every day of the week.

Or Lambert.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

um09a2k wrote:
Striker wrote:

I'm a firm believer in long-termism, and I don't think Austin can keep this up over the whole season.
Play the Sun game then.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Striker wrote:

I was thinking of Phillips as a comparison, in terms of a striker who came up with a newly promoted team and scored a shedload of goals. Similarly Andy Johnson with Palace who almost kept them up singlehandedly.

While neither of them matched their initial season, they did have extensive top flight careers and were capped by England. There's no magic formula for what makes a Premier League striker, there's many apparently more talented players who haven't taken to it at all.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

9 goals in his last 8 Premier league games. I think player must have some technical ability to do it in that level. Also didn't you have Diego Costa in your team because he can't assist or do goals outside of the box?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I'm just surprised people are even bothering to fight this battle. The soldiers on the opposing side are so clearly made of gone off grapes...

ruudy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ruudy »

chandler wrote:
ruudy wrote:I refer you to the Austin goal v Southampton earlier in the season.

Nuff said.
Compare that one to the one Pellè scored soon after
True but not even a Costa or Aguero has scored a goal on par with that Pelle goal this season.

That Austin goal proved he has technical ability, his goal scoring record proves he can finish.

um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Post by um09a2k »

JoonaR16 wrote:
9 goals in his last 8 Premier league games. I think player must have some technical ability to do it in that level. Also didn't you have Diego Costa in your team because he can't assist or do goals outside of the box?
All goals at home against poor opposition, apart from the City goal.

His goal at Chelsea was a result of sheer fluke.

Costa has proved himself both home and away and more consistently against varied opposition levels.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”