To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Discussion around good; very good or genius FPL players

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Re: Discussion around good; very good or genius FPL players

Post by The Catman »

Yes, thanks Stem, I'll not bother entering the FFS ML next year :)

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Thanks for that Stem, as you say it shows just how valuable their information and how strong their league actually is. Perhaps i shouldn't have been too surprised if i'd thought about it properly but it does seem to back up the notion that being a member of ffs (or other similar site) is one of the biggest contributory factors for success. Watching games possibly does add something but seems not as essential.
Watching games isn't essential anymore, when there's sites whose purpose is to disseminate the information you'd get from those games to you. Large swathes of people are no longer really making their own decisions anymore but just picking their preferred choice of several options presented to them that has already distilled out the real decision making process.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Not really necessarily proof of causation or the efficacy of one individual element (such as stats/news/discussion), it could just be that many people who take the game seriously are likely to look at FFS at some point and join in their league. Though I do agree that particularly collated news does help a lot, stats can give you information without even watching the games, and being a member of FFS/FISO does wise a lot of people up to most basic FPL principles.

RidleyMTB
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RidleyMTB »

I still prefer to watch the games rather than just using stats. Using just stats feels too 'cold' a way to play the game. I need that feeling watching players and teams gives - it feels like it is backing up the stats, having seen it with your own eyes. Sometimes I might get a gut feeling that stats just might not give, having watched a player.

I mostly use the stats when comparing several players, when making a transfer decision and that's pretty much the only time I would use them. Even then, it is mostly the fairly basic stats I would look at.

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Post by owenclass »

Next season is going to be very interesting

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Congrats to RidleyMTB, up to 4th in the FFS HoF and a mention on their site. Keep flying that FISO flag!! :D

RidleyMTB
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RidleyMTB »

Stemania wrote:Congrats to RidleyMTB, up to 4th in the FFS HoF and a mention on their site. Keep flying that FISO flag!! :D
Thanks Stem :D

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

RidleyMTB wrote:I still prefer to watch the games rather than just using stats. Using just stats feels too 'cold' a way to play the game. I need that feeling watching players and teams gives - it feels like it is backing up the stats, having seen it with your own eyes. Sometimes I might get a gut feeling that stats just might not give, having watched a player.

I mostly use the stats when comparing several players, when making a transfer decision and that's pretty much the only time I would use them. Even then, it is mostly the fairly basic stats I would look at.
Congrats on your achievement and congrats for showing it's not a robot brain that makes a good FPL player! :D

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Is ffs fantasy football scout?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Yup

Paulista
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Paulista »

The current Number 1 in the world has hit 600 points. Must be that steady stream of 2 points from Lamela :lol:

I would be happy to finish the day with 500 points. :oops:

Looking through his team each gameweek, he has made a few clever yet simple moves.

-His best punt - Brought Chadli into his team before his WBA debut. Didn't play him yesterday, so has netted 44 points in 5 games.
-Playing his wildcard in GW4, brought in Lukaku, Koscielny, Smith. They seem like obvious picks now, but that was back when Lukaku had gone months without scoring, Arsenal had started the season poorly, and nobody was looking at a Bournemouth defender.
-For the last 5 weeks, he has been rotating Fuchs and Smith, for weekly scores of 12-6-6-5-8. Could have been 15 yesterday had Leicester not conceded that late goal. But will also get Smith's points from yesterday as Collins didn't play, taking him over the 600 point mark overall. Nobody has been talking about rotating Leicester and Bournemouth defenders, but both teams hardly concede at home.
-Brought in Holebas in GW7, just in time for a nice 6-15-6 return.
-Had Sanchez (and Lamela!) from the start.
-Has been happy to go without Aguero since his ban, only bringing him back into his team this week (albeit for a hit).

But get this - his VC every week has been his goalkeeper, so he must be forgetting (or hasn't realised how) to change it :lol:

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/tea ... 26/event/9

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

The top 10, even top 1000 is not really a high indicator of quality. To get that high, you must have had above average luck, regardless of your skill level.

I personally wouldn't try to learn anything from the current world number 1, and with the greatest of respect to his/her achievement so far, I'd much rather follow Ville, triggerlips and managers here.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Uh, perhaps it would be good to separate the idea from the person giving the idea? This guy's certainly not a great player - does not have much of a record to show for, but he has done really well so far - makes some sense to at least consider it rather than just blowing it off as not-worthy-of-one's-attention, perhaps?

I will comment about two specific things this guy has done, though.
1. The Bournemouth / Leicester rotation. i do think putting Fuchs and his 5.5M in the bench every second week is a wastage of money, but a 5.0 and a 4.5 could be a super strategy - they both seem pretty impregnable at home and rather useless away. As evolving hypotheses for the season go, that's as good as any. Maybe Burnley could be considered in the same light too.
2. Goalkeeper as VC. Or rather, Heaton of a gazillion saves as VC. You will always get about 3-4 points... it's a nice safe option, methinks, for the more rotation-ey winter days. Not now, though. now's too early. Better than Aguero VC though.

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

I'll just post this here. Is it possible to have talent in this game? I had no experience from fantasy football before 2014-15 season. I decided to try the game and joined this forum to get some tips ( and I stayed here :D ). That season I finished about 13 000 in overall rank, which I think is pretty good for a beginner although I just thought it's luck. 2015-16 season was really hard, I was constantly struggling (like everyone else) but in the end I managed to get 2 700 overall rank, thanks to this:

This season I'm already in 20k OR (I still have two players to go today) which is really good compared to my last season. So far I've always captained the most popular captain pick to not get punished, I've avoided hits, I sometimes go with the gut feeling and I don't have any favourite clubs to mess with my decisions. Is that basically the key to become a good FPL manager? I really want to get into top-1k this season :D

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

JoonaR16 wrote:I sometimes go with the gut feeling
Does that mean you're sometimes taking a punt? If so, without hits this season, which players were punts?

Good job btw :!:

JoonaR16
Grumpy Old Man

Post by JoonaR16 »

Joccki_10 wrote:
JoonaR16 wrote:I sometimes go with the gut feeling
Does that mean you're sometimes taking a punt? If so, without hits this season, which players were punts?

Good job btw :!:
I took Ibra out using wildcard after GW5 because I felt he won't score that much anymore and money is better used somewhere else (rounds 1-5: 4 goals and one assist, rounds 6-10: 0 goals 0 assists). I tripled Watford because I had a feeling they will be a solid team. Well, Capoue was a popular pick which turned out to be a disappointment. Deeney scored once in GW7 but he's been pretty useless after that but at least Holebas was a success, with one goal, an assist and 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games I've played him.

I've owned both Sanchez and Lukaku since GW4, not really punts but I felt like I wanted to own them. I changed Antonio to Firmino for this round because I felt like doubling Liverpool (Coutinho is the other one) mids was a wise decision (and because I had to get rid of Antonio!). My biggest problem has been defence but I guess that's for everyone. Oh and after seeing Allen's assist I should also mention that I took him for Capoue last round.

DonTanTilla
Treebeard

Post by DonTanTilla »

The old links don't appear to be working.

Does anyone have the links for teams such as VIlle's and any other of interest?

Regards,

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

JoonaR16 wrote:I'll just post this here. Is it possible to have talent in this game?
My personal opinion is that talent is a big word. Some people are naturally more skilled at it that others - that doesn't make them smarter than others or anything. A friend introduced me to FPL. I was a far better player than him within a year, till he quit the game. He is a really sharp guy, sharper than me, no doubts.
You need some basic idea of the actual game, though the neighborhood jumper-for-goalposts knowledge should be enough. You need to follow it (and FPL) regularly - this is of critical importance. And you need a solid understanding of the rules and mechanics of the FPL game. Some knowledge of statistics would help, though is not essential I think (it would help you extrapolate the data from FISO and the other online sites quicker than the non-stats person).

I am a worse player than you, but not by much I think. I take punts too. I am quite aware when I am taking those though. Just taking the conventional decision (and not taking hits, and just playing sensibly) will I think take one up to the to 10-25K every time, but that's hardly a fun way of playing the game, I think.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

And you can get the details of seemingly every top player here
http://members.fantasyfootballscout.co. ... me/career/

RidleyMTB
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RidleyMTB »

I'm number 4 (although having a bit of a 'mare this season but it is early days...) :mrgreen:

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

PS: yours is one of the 5 teams who I have bookmarked and shamelessly stalk every week, RidleyMTB. They are not the top 5 BTW.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

RidleyMTB wrote:I'm number 4 (although having a bit of a 'mare this season but it is early days...) :mrgreen:
Nice one :D

I'm 1876th. :lol: Which out of 4,073,174 managers puts me in the top 0.046% :shock:

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

There are just 32477 entries in FFS HoF
You're top 6%

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I don't think the purpose of the HoF is to select a bunch of players and compare & rank them to each other? Surely whilst it is a sample it's intended to be considered out of all participants?

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

baganboy wrote:
JoonaR16 wrote:I'll just post this here. Is it possible to have talent in this game?
My personal opinion is that talent is a big word. Some people are naturally more skilled at it that others - that doesn't make them smarter than others or anything.
Massive question and I've been doing a lot of research into this exact area very recently. The thing about talent is that, scientifically, it doesn't really exist - it's more a catch-all phrase for those who have had the inclination and opportunity to put in enough purposeful practice to become proficient at something.

I had no experience playing FPL (and didn't particularly even follow the PL) until a few seasons ago when some friends invited me to join their FPL league. I joined late in GW2 with zero experience of the game and ended up winning the league. The reason is simple: I studied the game in a way that none of the other players did.

There is no such thing as a 'talented' FPL player. Anyone good at the game has either put serious hours of study into it, or been a consistently lucky outlier in a large group of players. Or, in some cases, both.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

MPTree wrote:Massive question and I've been doing a lot of research into this exact area very recently. The thing about talent is that, scientifically, it doesn't really exist - it's more a catch-all phrase for those who have had the inclination and opportunity to put in enough purposeful practice to become proficient at something.
That's fundamentally untrue. Where have you seen this? People absolutely have more inane talent than others at various activities and no well-regarded scientific study suggests otherwise. Now, the ratio of responsibility of skill between talent and practice is certainly contested, but the fact that some are more "talented" than others is not.

TheoRiginal
FISOhead
FS Record: Virginal

Post by TheoRiginal »

There is a lot of inane talent in these forums....

snakzz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by snakzz »

Talent is sounding like an missused word here.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

SuperGrover wrote:
MPTree wrote:Massive question and I've been doing a lot of research into this exact area very recently. The thing about talent is that, scientifically, it doesn't really exist - it's more a catch-all phrase for those who have had the inclination and opportunity to put in enough purposeful practice to become proficient at something.
That's fundamentally untrue. Where have you seen this? People absolutely have more inane talent than others at various activities and no well-regarded scientific study suggests otherwise. Now, the ratio of responsibility of skill between talent and practice is certainly contested, but the fact that some are more "talented" than others is not.
I sense a derailing! Nevertheless:

This is largely the work of K. Anders Ericsson that I've been reading up on in Daniel Coyle's 'The Talent Code' and Matthew Syed's 'Bounce'. And I'm delighted to be proved wrong here, since I don't claim to be remotely an expert in this field, but I'll tell you what I know. First of all, it's important to make a distinction between 'hardware' (raw size/strength/speed) and 'software', which can be defined as any skill characterised by complexity or pattern recognition (music, sports and so on are all examples of these) - one's 'hardware' obviously being somewhat more fixed than one's 'software'.

There's no study I've come across that proves 'talent' (with regards to one's 'software') is the reason for expertise in any field, as opposed to applying the right kind of practice (the world's best figure skaters practice jumps they cannot make, whilst their less successful peers practice jumps they can) for the requisite amount of time. We know that 'child prodigies' only exist because they amass more hours purposeful practice than their peers, for example. Mozart, who was enchanting the courts of eighteenth century Europe with his musical abilities at the age of just six, had clocked an estimated 3,500 hours practice by that time (far more than most of his adult counterparts). Tiger Woods has a similar backstory (and similar father) as do the Williams sisters.

László Polgár is another fascinating study. A firm believer in the practice theory of excellence (and tired of being thought of as crazy), he put it to the test with his own children, deciding that they would be chess experts before they were even born. He had three daughters, each of whom was a grandmaster before she was out of her teens, and each of whom went on to win numerous chess accolades and beat the best players (male or female) in the world.

In short, there's plenty of evidence out there that can quantify excellence, but nothing I've found that can really quantify innate ability and what it brings to the table in any meaningful way. However, I'd genuinely love to know about it and read about it, so do please point me in the right direction if you can.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”