To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck (Arsenal)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Re: Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck (Arsenal)

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

:lol: - I know it's not that kind of party bongo. Maybe you misconstrued what I meant when I said watch the majestic Danny Welbeck rise.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I thought it was a swingers do, sorry my misunderstanding :)

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Is that why you were so concerned about whether Danny Welbeck has protection? :wink:

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Carlos Kickaball wrote:I'm looking forward to finding out whether he is protected or not. I'm having a party at mine tonight, I've got fizzy pop, I've invited both my friends, we're going to watch out for the majestic Danny Welbeck rise. :lol:
The party was a great success and we've found out the answer to the price protection question, his price rose this morning.

As I, Gunnersaurus and The Catman expected, he was given no price protection and will now set you back 7.0m of your finest FPL pounds.
Last edited by Carlos Kickaball on 11 Sep 2014, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:As I suspected we've found out the answer to the price protection question, his price rose this morning.

As myself, Gunnersaurus and The Catman expected, he was given no price protection and will now set you back 7.0m of your finest FPL pounds.
Seems like it took a lot of NTIs to move him .1 though. Am I imagining that or is it possible there is some sort of data point involved that doubles the needed NTIs for a rise when the player transfers teams?

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

I think you're imagining it, it could be that he was in the red due to transfers out after his last drop. He would have had to make those transfers back, before starting to make his way towards the approximately 80k transfer target.

Did you have to quote my message while it still had a grammatical error in it?! :lol:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

As I said , 'if' he starts

@Squawka: Arsene Wenger: "I cannot tell you if [Danny] Welbeck will start [against Man City] but it's a possibility. I have to assess the squad."

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Billy Bongo wrote:As I said , 'if' he starts

@Squawka: Arsene Wenger: "I cannot tell you if [Danny] Welbeck will start [against Man City] but it's a possibility. I have to assess the squad."
Wenger is just acting a bit coy, like asking Demi Moore if she is going nude in her next movie.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Probably. But it's still City anyway. Hardly justifies spending points to bring him in just yet

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

It may be pure optimism, not something I usually suffer with, but Stoke caused them problems last week.
This is as good a chance as any to shake off the 'all but the top teams' tag we have carried for the past few seasons.
And if there is a goal or 3 to be had, Welback should be involved.

MorrisonDullforce
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Inaugural FPL British Bulldog sidegame winner 2013/14. 2014 Fantasy Commonwealth Games Winner

Post by MorrisonDullforce »

"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he would not have signed striker Danny Welbeck on transfer deadline day had he been in the country."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29156465

Why we would he say that? :?

Update:

Different version of events here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... e-day.html
Last edited by MorrisonDullforce on 11 Sep 2014, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Post by Poison Idea »

MorrisonDullforce wrote:"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he would not have signed striker Danny Welbeck on transfer deadline day had he been in the country."

Exactly my thought. Why would you go and say that on record, now that it's a done deal. Who could possibly benefit from such statement and how. Also the 'had he been in the country on deadline day' part - what does that say about you and the decision making process at your club? I mean, is he beefing with some director at Arsenal by saying all this, or what?

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Poison Idea wrote:
MorrisonDullforce wrote:"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he would not have signed striker Danny Welbeck on transfer deadline day had he been in the country."

Exactly my thought. Why would you go and say that on record, now that it's a done deal. Who could possibly benefit from such statement and how. Also the 'had he been in the country on deadline day' part - what does that say about you and the decision making process at your club? I mean, is he beefing with some director at Arsenal by saying all this, or what?
He possibly means that had he stayed in London he wouldn't have spent time with SAF in Rome, and maybe he hinted Welbeck could be available.

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:He possibly means that had he stayed in London he wouldn't have spent time with SAF in Rome, and maybe he hinted Welbeck could be available.
You may be right about that. It sounds really bad when I first read it but I doubt Wenger is that stupid or has anything but full control over the transfers.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

Wenger would not take a swipe at the club through the media, he is not like that and has taken a lot of flack for their penny pinching in the past, that you can be sure off.

It is a very sensationalist headline but when you read the rest of it you can see that he wanted him but even I am baffled by his comment, I think he was just trying to justify his trip (which he got a lot of stick for) he wanted him on loan with a view to buy so it's not a Chelsea scenario where Abramovich would buy certain players as toys.

He talks very highly about the merits of Wellbeck and as a centre forward so look past the headline and read the actual message.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

TheChairLeg wrote:
foxinthebox2001 wrote:He possibly means that had he stayed in London he wouldn't have spent time with SAF in Rome, and maybe he hinted Welbeck could be available.
You may be right about that. It sounds really bad when I first read it but I doubt Wenger is that stupid or has anything but full control over the transfers.
It's a bit rich for Wenger to say he only wanted to loan Welbeck.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... clubs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

I agree and was going to make similar points, other coverage of the same press conference is much more rounded. I don't think Wenger would be starting a war of words with the directors, and it seems like he was being playful rather than critical when he made the statements. Had read the same theory in the Metro, which vaguely suggested the people he was travelling with to Rome made the transfer easier.

From the Telegraph article MorrisonDullforce linked to.
Of deadline day – and the criticism of his trip to Rome – “Wenger said: “If I had not travelled that day, Welbeck would not be here. The coincidence made it. If I stayed in my home, Welbeck would not be here. I will tell you that story one day. That is the truth. We are in 2014, you can always be in touch.”
When he was pressed on what he meant, Wenger added: “The advantage of that day was I got up at 6am and was available the whole day.”
The whole quote kills off any idea that it was some clandestine plot to lumber Arsène Wenger with a player he didn't want, and shows he is hitting back at critics of his trip to Rome.
Last edited by Carlos Kickaball on 11 Sep 2014, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:The whole quote kills off any idea that it was some clandestine plot to lumber Arsène Wenger with a player he didn't want, and shows he is hitting back at critics of his trip to Rome.
There are many things wrong with the media at the moment. Selective quoting is one of the worst.

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Post by Poison Idea »

gunnersaurus wrote:Wenger would not take a swipe at the club through the media, he is not like that and has taken a lot of flack for their penny pinching in the past, that you can be sure off.

It is a very sensationalist headline but when you read the rest of it you can see that he wanted him but even I am baffled by his comment, I think he was just trying to justify his trip (which he got a lot of stick for) he wanted him on loan with a view to buy so it's not a Chelsea scenario where Abramovich would buy certain players as toys.

He talks very highly about the merits of Wellbeck and as a centre forward so look past the headline and read the actual message.
Makes much more sense now, thanks to your clarification and the Telegraph piece. The BBC gave it completely different spin though, I don't think there was much of an actual message past the headline to be read.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

I'm going to ask admin to put Wellbeck into the Fiso auto correct (you know, so it spells his name properly)

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

"theres only one ell in Welbeck"
I will try and get that chant going on Saturday.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Poison Idea wrote:
gunnersaurus wrote:Wenger would not take a swipe at the club through the media, he is not like that and has taken a lot of flack for their penny pinching in the past, that you can be sure off.

Makes much more sense now, thanks to your clarification and the Telegraph piece. The BBC gave it completely different spin though, I don't think there was much of an actual message past the headline to be read.
The media have a way with words I guess.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:"theres only one ell in Welbeck"
I will try and get that chant going on Saturday.

Sure there is...next you will be saying there is a "u" in honor and color :)

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

TheChairLeg wrote:
Carlos Kickaball wrote:The whole quote kills off any idea that it was some clandestine plot to lumber Arsène Wenger with a player he didn't want, and shows he is hitting back at critics of his trip to Rome.
There are many things wrong with the media at the moment. Selective quoting is one of the worst.
Now the press conference video is up on BBC it is clear that Wenger is defending his decision to travel to Rome, saying the signing of Welbeck was a positive result of the trip. The quote, included after, was a response to this question:

"You received quite a bit of criticism personally for not being in the country on deadline day, for being in Rome for a charity game; what do you say to redress the balance and answer that criticism?"

“If I had not travelled that day, Welbeck would not be here. The coincidence made it. If I stayed in my home, Welbeck would not be here. I will tell you that story one day. That is the truth. We are in 2014, you can always be in touch.”

He later directly denies the idea that he wouldn't have sanctioned the transfer if he had been in the country.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

That's not dramatic enough for the press.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Perhaps they should have sent Wenger away for a week, Arsenal might have had enough central defenders and an adequate defensive midfielder by now.

Bergkamp_22
FISOhead
FS Record: 2,263 points

Post by Bergkamp_22 »

The part where he says he would've preferred him on loan is more.. interesting if that's even the word, to me. It's actually a little worrying to me that as an Arsenal fan. Personally i felt (as most) initially underwhelmed, but came much more round to the signing after looking into him more.

You become more and more optimistic, then wait (which was strange/annoying to say the least) for Wenger to comment on the player we just got. That's what he comes out with, sure he praises him in other parts but to say that period is a slightly worrying statement for me. I'm not one to criticise Wenger and will support as we are where we are now, but totally forgetting a DM and now supposedly not completely dealing with the striker situation (in his eyes, as it looks) isn't good. Not at all.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

United probably initiated the loan deal, the rumour was he was available on loan anyway.
Wenger heard about Falcao so upped the ante ...

magicdave
Red & Blue Braces

Post by magicdave »

CL hattrick bodes well for Welbeck owners.

DDITY

Devil's Advocate
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Only own Elvis ones.

Post by Devil's Advocate »

magicdave wrote:CL hattrick bodes well for Welbeck owners.

DDITY

I really think Welbeck will become a season keeper.

Whilst the hat-trick was against poor opposition, I think it just proves how well he is suited to Arsenal's style. He has always been the poacher type, even at United, and for a team that love playing in and around the box, I see him being able to do what Giroud couldn't on numerous occasions, and that is finish close range chances in the box. He also has better feet than Giroud, and is a better passer of the ball, hence he has a better chance of assisting others if not scoring.

He's still only 23, and in a totally new team (and new style), hence I think he has already done extremely well early on, and should only improve the more games he plays.

I'm not sure what the Arsenal fans are thinking, but I would suggest a front 3 of Sanchez/Welbeck/Walcott (when fit) could rival any lethal attacking combination in the world.

Considering Walcott loves to sprint forward and square balls in the box to his striker, I think the best of Welbeck is still yet to come. Personally, I'll be sticking with Welbeck, and bringing Walcott in as soon as he's fit.

Arsenal have really yet to hit their straps in the EPL, so I predict many more goals to come from Welbeck. Some may suggest he is already in form, but I think he has a lot more to give, and given his age, size, strength, pace, skillful feet, and conversion rate, he may just prove to be one of the most complete strikers in the Premier League. Not to mention the quality of service he should receive once others around him start finding their form.

I'll definitely start considering him as a real captain choice against the weaker teams for sure.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”