To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Juan Mata (Manchester United)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
shawpower
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Juan Mata (Manchester United)

Post by shawpower »

quarky wrote:Two transfers for Rooney's three games..
If you already have Rooney, it's 4 transfers for those games as you'll have to ship him out too. So definitely not an option in that scenario imho.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

gunnersaurus wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:
ctibbits wrote:Could be a decent Ramsey replacement if nothing else is pressing
This is my thinking. I'm looking at all options, including hits for ADM but I think that from GW8 I'll want an Arsenal player back so Rooney's suspension is convenient timing.

A the start of the season, we thought he'd be great behind Rooney/RVP, now he has RVP/Falcao and Di Maria to do his running and a midfield/forward line that are scoring goals.

I assume he will start in Rooney's place though? Anyone got any other ideas about how they might lineup? I know that Rooney was doing quite a bit of tracking and defending which is hardly Mata's game so is it possible that ADM moves to Rooney's position and more defensive minded midfielders take up a central midfield position?
Just watched the highlights and West Ham had plenty of chances to score so not sure replacing Rooney with a less defensive Mata is going to make them any more solid as they still look vulnerable.

Could he switch to 442 now and give them some proper balance???

You would think that Di Maria, Blind, Hererra and someone on the right would be a bit more solid than a like for like swap of Mata for Rooney.
I agree that you would think that. But had LVG shown any sense of logic or a need to try and strengthen his defence yet? I think its a straight swap for Mata and business as usual until Rooney returns. With that being said however I think it is important to note that Chelsea would be the third game of the suspension and based on Mourinho's tactics against City I would expect him to set up defensively again and then pick United apart on the counter. So is it really worth a forced transfer to have Mata for a home game against Everton and an away to WBA?

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

ctibbits wrote:I agree that you would think that. But had LVG shown any sense of logic or a need to try and strengthen his defence yet?
Problem with your own logic is we haven't played a top side yet so no real evidence of what LVG would do against a side like Chelsea. Although results have been patchy, he'd have had every reason to expect United could/should dominate the ball and the match against every side we've played. Also don't recall West Ham having many chances whilst we had 11 men, maybe a couple.

My worry would be that the midfield would be a bit open/lightweight to play against Chelsea and a bit of extra insurance (Fletcher/Carrick) would make sense. Either way not considering Mata myself as obviously he'll be out again after 3 games.

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Red Eye wrote:
ctibbits wrote:I agree that you would think that. But had LVG shown any sense of logic or a need to try and strengthen his defence yet?
Problem with your own logic is we haven't played a top side yet so no real evidence of what LVG would do against a side like Chelsea. Although results have been patchy, he'd have had every reason to expect United could/should dominate the ball and the match against every side we've played. Also don't recall West Ham having many chances whilst we had 11 men, maybe a couple.

My worry would be that the midfield would be a bit open/lightweight to play against Chelsea and a bit of extra insurance (Fletcher/Carrick) would make sense. Either way not considering Mata myself as obviously he'll be out again after 3 games.
I guess that could be valid. There has not been a need in theory to try and play defence as he should think they could outscore all of their opponents at this time. Perhaps we will see if he does have a plan B when needed or if he is more Wengerish

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

He moved from 3 at the back to 4 at the back one week because he had no choice due to availability of his players so I guess this would be a similar scenario where he could feel the need to change it up, who knows.

I'm not sure you can replace Rooney with Mata like for like and not expect to get over run, when Mata started the season they never had Falcao and had Rooney's graft still in the side.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Yep agree - I wouldn't rule out a move to a back 3 against Chelsea. If you picked Mata I reckon you'd be safe for the next two games, but against Chelsea he may adopt special measures and I don't think it's a given Mata would play.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Somebody please talk me out of getting Mata back in! :shock: :)

Mata is a player I've always rated in reality and in FPL. He's done well for me down the years, including spells last season at Utd when he was given the chance. He's one of those rare midfield players that has a goal in him as well as assists. He likes a set play too, direct as well as indirect. But he has to start regularly, play in his correct position, and also play with the right players/system around him.

I went to the game at weekend and watching the game live Mata was very good without any reward. At the end of the game a goal from him could have happened but he typically unselfishly passed to Falcoa who missed a sitter.

Now ADM looking likely to miss a few games, Mata could well be guaranteed more of a run in the team maybe to give them that needed creativity. At 8.4m he could be worth a punt, especially for those who own ADM and looking for a replacement.

He could get some joy against Stoke GW14 with his current position and the players around him back fit and in form. Utd also looked buoyant again and attacked well in LVGs 'philosophy'. Yes Hull were poor though.

But will he play GW15 away at Southampton? Not sure. This is the problem. Maybe I can simply hop off Mata and hop on to Eriksen GW15 - and maybe later in the week I'll be pleading for someone to talk me out of getting Eriksen back in :D

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

M4tt, I considered taking a punt on Mata for a week over Eriksen. But to be honest I consider my transfer which if used would probably become a hit, and the fact that I will probably end up paying more for Eriksen if I do this to outweigh any benefit on a one game punt.

I agree that Mata is a great shout when playing and I'd love to own him if he was, but it never seems to be a guarantee.

No one in their right mind would talk you out of getting Eriksen, but don't captain him again. :lol:

MichaelCarrick16
Treebeard

Post by MichaelCarrick16 »

I had the same dilemma as you, but have decided to go with it.

Can see him starting against Stoke, and can't see any other better options to swap for Di Maria, with me already owning 3 Chelsea players.

Would go with Sterling if Liverpool were showing any kind of form, can't see Spurs' options doing anything at Chelsea, therefore Mata seems the best option. Maybe said with my United glasses on however.

My biggest concern is what to do for Southampton away. Not sure LVG trusts Mata's lack of physicality in away matches.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:M4tt, I considered taking a punt on Mata for a week over Eriksen. But to be honest I consider my transfer which if used would probably become a hit, and the fact that I will probably end up paying more for Eriksen if I do this to outweigh any benefit on a one game punt.

I agree that Mata is a great shout when playing and I'd love to own him if he was, but it never seems to be a guarantee.

No one in their right mind would talk you out of getting Eriksen, but don't captain him again. :lol:
Ha yeh my Eriksen's GW5 captaincy pick at home to WBA is fresh is my memory :D :cry:

Eriksen seems to be a player I can't land on at right time. For example, when I own him he does nothing, and vice versa. However, Mata is the opposite. When I've picked him in the past, he's done well for me, and vice versa.

My head tells me to get in Hazard for obvious reasons. But sometimes you get a feeling for certain players at a certain time, and FPL is all about timing - that is landing on/off certain players at the right time. Surely it can't be as bad as my Eriksen GW5 punt, or my HBA +2 captain punt last season, or can it!?

Besides I won't be captaining Mata, I don't think so anyway :D
MichaelCarrick16 wrote:I had the same dilemma as you, but have decided to go with it.

Can see him starting against Stoke, and can't see any other better options to swap for Di Maria, with me already owning 3 Chelsea players.

Would go with Sterling if Liverpool were showing any kind of form, can't see Spurs' options doing anything at Chelsea, therefore Mata seems the best option. Maybe said with my United glasses on however.

My biggest concern is what to do for Southampton away. Not sure LVG trusts Mata's lack of physicality in away matches.
I agree, his physicality in tough away games lets him down. But Chelsea prior Jose returning found a way to play him, and he did play well. Think he won player of season for Chelsea? Also got some nice consistent FPL points.

Also Saints at home today didn't look that tough. Even when Moyes/Giggs played him in the correct position a few times in away games last season he still got some goals/points. Maybe LVG can fit him in now regularly from the start. We'll have to see.

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

I think it depends how long ADM is out for. Mata will surely be too big of a rotation risk when everyone is fit?

Would you be more convinced if he was called M4ta?! :)

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Transferring in a player that you know you will have to transfer out again within 2-3 weeks is never a good idea imo.

The only caveat for me would be if you're bringing in a very short term captain option, as adding two transfers to your itinerary for such a short amount of time will inevitably lead to at least one points hit at some point. :|

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Stemania wrote:Transferring in a player that you know you will have to transfer out again within 2-3 weeks is never a good idea imo.

The only caveat for me would be if you're bringing in a very short term captain option, as adding two transfers to your itinerary for such a short amount of time will inevitably lead to at least one points hit at some point. :|
Thank's for telling me exactly the opposite when I was wondering if I should get ADM in for Hull and Stoke, for a two game punt over Eriksen. :wink:

I agree this is different though, because it's only one game so what you stand to gain is smaller.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

That was indeed a very different situation.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

I agree, it's not the best play to transfer in a player knowing that you may have to transfer out in the near future, unless applying the hop on/off tactic, which may well work with ADM to Mata this GW14, then Mata to Eriksen GW15.

But with only having one FT available at present I could end up taking a hit if someone else gets injured this week. Or could end up risking Mata starting at Southampton GW15. This time of year/period in FPL is probably the main time you need a guaranteed starting squad, not just an eleven.

I might just stick to sensible play and get in the player I originally wanted, which is Hazard - but this unfortunately requires a hit. Although a hit for long term quality top players is never a bad thing - sometimes it can be quite the opposite.

Thanks for talking me out of Mata, for now :)

BobMem wrote:
Ha yes - Or even SpiderM4ta! :D

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

spiderm4tt wrote:I agree, it's not the best play to transfer in a player knowing that you may have to transfer out in the near future, unless applying the hop on/off tactic, which may well work with ADM to Mata this GW14, then Mata to Eriksen GW15.

But with only having one FT available at present I could end up taking a hit if someone else gets injured this week. Or could end up risking Mata starting at Southampton GW15. This time of year/period in FPL is probably the main time you need a guaranteed starting squad, not just an eleven.

I might just stick to sensible play and get in the player I originally wanted, which is Hazard - but this unfortunately requires a hit. Although a hit for long term quality top players is never a bad thing - sometimes it can be quite the opposite.

BobMem wrote:
Just looked at your team and noticed that you also have Krul and Elliot as I have. Just wondering what you intend to do with Krul? It appears he is going to miss the next 6-7 gameweeks and although Elliot can cover, it means Krul is tying up 0.5m sat on the bench and he will also drop in value. Newcastles fixtures also aren't great so Im not that confident on clean sheets.

I'm wondering if it's best to sell Krul for a different keeper?

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

gooberman wrote:
spiderm4tt wrote:I agree, it's not the best play to transfer in a player knowing that you may have to transfer out in the near future, unless applying the hop on/off tactic, which may well work with ADM to Mata this GW14, then Mata to Eriksen GW15.

BobMem wrote:
Just looked at your team and noticed that you also have Krul and Elliot as I have. Just wondering what you intend to do with Krul? It appears he is going to miss the next 6-7 gameweeks and although Elliot can cover, it means Krul is tying up 0.5m sat on the bench and he will also drop in value. Newcastles fixtures also aren't great so Im not that confident on clean sheets.

I'm wondering if it's best to sell Krul for a different keeper?
Yes good question Goobs.

When ADM got injured other day I immediately thought get in Hazard. Hazard is the main player that I fear not owning, especially as I don't own Costa. Only problem is I was 0.3m short. I don't want to change anything else really in my team, so when I heard that Krul could miss 4-5 games, and now could be out until January, I have planned to get in Alnwick (4.0m). This will fund Hazard, prevent loss of funds on Krul, and still have the same keeper/reserve keeper strategy /tactic to see me through until Jan wildcard where I will reassess keepers.

I'm not that confident either in Newcastle clean sheets, although they've done great recently defensively, but I'm happy to ride it out for save points with 8.0m max spend on two keepers to free up money for a heavy hitter such as Hazard. Getting in Hazard hopefully should be more profitable than getting in another 4.5m or more expensive keeper.

But do what's best for you and your team. This plan feels it could be the best way to go for me following this recent injury news. But then there's M4ta...... :D

mayweather
FISOhead

Post by mayweather »

in the same boat. chance to take a punt. stuck between mata,hazard and yaya. think ill go with hazard because it was my original plan albeit a week early.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

spiderm4tt wrote: I'm not that confident either in Newcastle clean sheets, although they've done great recently defensively, but I'm happy to ride it out for save points with 8.0m max spend on two keepers to free up money for a heavy hitter such as Hazard. Getting in Hazard hopefully should be more profitable than getting in another 4.5m or more expensive keeper.
Word of warning - apparently Rob Elliot's wife is expecting a baby this week (Newcastle have included 3 keepers in their squad today as a precaution), so there's a decent chance he'll miss one of the next few games. This probably puts more weight behind this move being the best option for you. :D

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Thanks for info Stemania. Krul to Elliott is a possibility for me from GW15.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Yes thanks, I read that last night in the Chronicle.

Can't believe my FPL decision/tactics have been ultimately decided by a reserve goalkeepers wife baby due date :D

MichaelCarrick16
Treebeard

Looks like it was a good decision to bring him in :D

Hopefully he will get the 3 bonus pts too.

Is the goal officially his? Heard that Rojo was claiming it.

Now need to wait on Di Maria's injury, and, if he's still out, whether a swap for some like Eriksen is worthwhile...

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

A genuinely affordable Man U attacking player at 8.5.
14 points against Liverpool, has now out-scored ADM and Rooney for the season so far.
Decent fixtures over Christmas.
Time to get talked into getting Mata again?!

BUT ADM is reckoned to be back next game on FPL so does this mean Mata misses out??

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Can't see how they could drop him after their recent run of results (like with Kane at Spurs) but that would be just typical.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

It's not exactly been a convincing collection of points recently though - since returning to the starting eleven his resurgence has comprised of:

- a crossed freekick which accidentally went in
- a two-yards-offside short range header, and
- an assist created by a Liverpool defender passing him the ball on the edge of the area, and aided by Brad Jones falling over.

It's all been a bit Di Maria! :P

Speaking of whom, ADM will be back in the side this week or next and it's surely going to be (at least) one of Mata and Falcao to miss out. Mata isn't the nailed on type of player you'd want over a hectic xmas schedule imo :?

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Haven't we been here before with players consistently being in the right place at the right time. ;)

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

DrBunker wrote:Haven't we been here before with players consistently being in the right place at the right time. ;)
Mata has consistently been on the bench when everyone else has been fit, so I assume that's what you mean by his 'right place'. :wink:

Jason Bourne
Red & Blue Braces

Re: Juan Mata - where will he fit in?

Post by Jason Bourne »

Is Mata nailed on at United or will his run in the team end now that fellaini and herrera are back? At 8.5 the price is right for me, and he looked much more threatening than di Maria who was hauled off after 70 mins. Is he guaranteed to keep his place this weekend?

MichaelCarrick16
Treebeard

Re: Juan Mata - where will he fit in?

Nope and has played lots of games recently, meaning his rotation is imminent.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

His rotation has nothing to do with games, it will be because of returning players like ADM Hererra and Blind. And with Mata it won't be rotation, it will be a benching

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”