To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Juan Mata (Manchester United)

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Re: Juan Mata (Manchester United)

Post by Billy Bongo »

Well there's a bigger than evens chance Falcao will play off RVP and Roon will drop behind, Mata the sacrifice

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Can't see it, he's not going to change a side that won both on and of the pitch last week and if anyone in to miss out my money is on RVP - his previous relationship with him seems to be working against RVP at present, think he will want to show he's prepared to drop any player even one he has close ties to.

I don't think Falque will start - in fact I think that's the stand out option rather the. On who will be dropped!

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Not sure if anyone missed it, but Van Gaal confirmed in his press conference that Rooney is the only attacking player assured of starts.

Probably nothing more than many of us expected anyway, and doesn't really help in wondering who drops out and where people play, mind.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Notned wrote:Not sure if anyone missed it, but Van Gaal confirmed in his press conference that Rooney is the only attacking player assured of starts.

Probably nothing more than many of us expected anyway, and doesn't really help in wondering who drops out and where people play, mind.
He didn't quite say that. Was something about nobody else being assured of anything (eg starting) and only the captain getting certain privileges (without saying that was a guaranteed start). Was a bit ambiguous, especially with his dodgy English.

magicdave
Red & Blue Braces

Post by magicdave »

Dropped for Falcao.

Looks like Rooney may be dropping into that deeper role.

Bestpay
Treebeard

Post by Bestpay »

Here's the Utd team:
De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Blackett, Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao, Rooney, van Persie

Subs:
Lindegaard, Shaw, Smalling, Fletcher, Mata, Valencia, Januzaj

I think Mata will be my transfer out this turn unless he comes on as a sub and does something amazing or unless there is an injury to one of his competitors to get into the team.

Robin Write
FISO Knight
FS Record: Risky Business

Post by Robin Write »

On a non-FPL view, I feel a bit sorry for Mata. A really terrific footballer on his day, but the last couple of seasons have just not gone for him. He should be in a squad where he starts week in week out, and prospers.

Anyway, FPL-wise, looks like it is time to sell. I need Lamela to have a cracker today to further justify this.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

Omarz14
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Omarz14 »

Very unfair to him...and what a poor judgement from Van Gaal to say he was dropped because "I was not so satisfied with Rooney as a striker and Mata as midfielder and that’s why I’m changing"...how amateurish is that especially after you win 4-0 and both players score.

Anyway I think I'll keep Mata until Friday maybe Van Gaal will decide to make another change of his own after the Leicester romp.

dreamrecruitment
Red & Blue Braces

Post by dreamrecruitment »

ADM, Rooney and Falcao are seemingly the only man utd options.

shawpower
Grumpy Old Man

Post by shawpower »

If Utd keep conceding goals at the rate they did yesterday, LvG might be forced into playing someone like Fletcher alongside Blind to provide a bit more cover to that defence.

If that happens, then you've got to imagine ADM will be safe. So does Herrera come under scrutiny as he mightn't really offer width on the right? Or will he go from having 2 forwards and one 10 role, to just having 1 nine and 1 ten.

Maybe something like this ahead of the 4 man defence?

...........Fletcher.......Blind.............
.....Herrera..................DiMaria.....
...............Rooney / Mata..............
.................Falcao................

If that happens, you'd still expect Rooney to get that position as well, even if Mata is possibly the better option. Certainly in the short term, Mata seems like a bench player.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

It is amazing that a manager with such a good reputation would play a formation with 3 strikers (albeit one withdrawn), two attacking midfielders who both push forward every attack, and two fullbacks who are allowed to bomb forward.

With only two inexperienced centre backs and Blind not attacking of course you're going to concede on the counter. It seems as much down to the system as the personnel at the back that's leading to many of the goals conceded. You've got to get one of your fulbacks to consistently stay back too if that's the way you're set up imo (like Azpili does for Chelsea).

jonhoggy
FISOhead
FS Record: 7528

Post by jonhoggy »

I've had to follow the crowd and change Mata to ADM. I can't risk another bench warmer when my league competition already own ADM.

I was bemused at how poorly the defence were organised. They didn't have a clue where they were supposed to be or who to mark. There's a great picture before the third goal where four Utd defenders are all nervously pointing at the same time telling each other who to pick up in the box. Calamity.

Was interesting to hear that is the first time in Premier League history that Man Utd have lost after having a two goal lead.

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Mata looks to be an obvious fall-guy to me, so it's sensible to get rid:

- Mourinho didn't like his lack of work rate at Chelsea and well disciplined workers are exactly what United need.
- Dropped to bench for last game
- Made crucial error in conceding possion for Leicester's 4th (match-winning) goal when he did come on. Inexplicably, he came on for Di Maria (United's best player) and that was the result. Surely the same mistake won't be made again in a hurry :?:

quarky
Treebeard

Post by quarky »

I think there is some valid criticism of his single pace of play (he isn't the man to speed the game up), but every player makes mistakes. Most goals involve someone missing a tackle, losing possession, or being caught out of position, so I don't consider the odd mistake enough to drop him for. Ultimately, he is there as an attacking player, and it is hard to argue that he makes significant contributions in that area. Goals are not everything, but they help.

Still, I got rid of Mata in GW2... but in real life, I would be dropping working damn hard to accommodate a place for him.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

quarky wrote:I think there is some valid criticism of his single pace of play (he isn't the man to speed the game up), but every player makes mistakes. Most goals involve someone missing a tackle, losing possession, or being caught out of position, so I don't consider the odd mistake enough to drop him for. Ultimately, he is there as an attacking player, and it is hard to argue that he makes significant contributions in that area. Goals are not everything, but they help.

Still, I got rid of Mata in GW2... but in real life, I would be dropping working damn hard to accommodate a place for him.
Although Mata has some good qualities i think there are just too many weaknesses in his game to be a regular starter at Utd.

Mourinho, probably even before he'd taken over from Benitez, identified him as someone they could do without, lack of pace and defensive awareness are real drawbacks. ADM's arrival at Utd gives their attack pace and the 'possession going nowhere' football seems to be banished.

Utd still have obvious problems at the back but Mata's place in their attack now looks to be firmly on the bench, perhaps coming on as a substitute especially with the need to develop the RVP Falcao partnership and Rooney at ten.

I have some sympathy in that RVP wasn't playing that well but LVG likes him and now he's got a goal he'll be given every chance.

Robin Write
FISO Knight
FS Record: Risky Business

Post by Robin Write »

He's too much of a concern to have in your squad in this game - and I no longer have to burden myself with that. Transferring all that worry to Lamela now.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

He's finished as an fpl pick. And I'm gracious enough admit that's because of new signings rather than just him, he's done ok as an fpl pick despite UTD being poor.

Thread dead. Now to bring back 'Yaya can't be ignore now'

The Catman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner 2013 TFC T20 wickets league; Winner 2012 F1 Fantasyracers.com. Winner Mirror FF Free League 2014/15. 6th TFC T20 runs 2016.

Post by The Catman »

Billy Bongo wrote:He's finished as an fpl pick. And I'm gracious enough admit that's because of new signings rather than just him, he's done ok as an fpl pick despite UTD being poor.

Thread dead. Now to bring back 'Yaya can't be ignore now'
Yep, pretty sad, and despite what people on here have been posting his FPL record at the end of last season and the start of this has actually been excellent, but he can't really be worth a place in any FPL line-up at the moment.

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

I've swapped him for Herrera. Very sad, I thought he would be awesome at 10 behind Rooney and vPersie but it's not to be :(

garypallister
FISOhead

Post by garypallister »

... need to ship him out too - but would very much prefer to do that after a 10+ pointer

Omarz14
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Omarz14 »

garypallister wrote:... need to ship him out too - but would very much prefer to do that after a 10+ pointer
...and this won't be happening soon Carlton

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

With Rooney banned, is Mata back on anyone's radar for a few games?

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

Billy Bongo wrote:He's finished as an fpl pick.
Resurrection?

tommygun25
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tommygun25 »

Mav3rick wrote:With Rooney banned, is Mata back on anyone's radar for a few games?
Not really as there is no garentee that he will play plus he'll only slide back onto the bench when fat boy get his starting place back.

quarky
Treebeard

Post by quarky »

Two transfers for Rooney's three games..

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Could be a decent Ramsey replacement if nothing else is pressing

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

ctibbits wrote:Could be a decent Ramsey replacement if nothing else is pressing
This is my thinking. I'm looking at all options, including hits for ADM but I think that from GW8 I'll want an Arsenal player back so Rooney's suspension is convenient timing.

A the start of the season, we thought he'd be great behind Rooney/RVP, now he has RVP/Falcao and Di Maria to do his running and a midfield/forward line that are scoring goals.

I assume he will start in Rooney's place though? Anyone got any other ideas about how they might lineup? I know that Rooney was doing quite a bit of tracking and defending which is hardly Mata's game so is it possible that ADM moves to Rooney's position and more defensive minded midfielders take up a central midfield position?

Dangerous Donkeys
Treebeard

Post by Dangerous Donkeys »

Pretty sure that Mata will play the no 10 role for next 3 games.
As a short term transfer I think he's very good.
I prefered him to Di Maria for goal threat.
He'll get in the box and probably score a few.

I have more pressing matters though.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

Mav3rick wrote:
ctibbits wrote:Could be a decent Ramsey replacement if nothing else is pressing
This is my thinking. I'm looking at all options, including hits for ADM but I think that from GW8 I'll want an Arsenal player back so Rooney's suspension is convenient timing.

A the start of the season, we thought he'd be great behind Rooney/RVP, now he has RVP/Falcao and Di Maria to do his running and a midfield/forward line that are scoring goals.

I assume he will start in Rooney's place though? Anyone got any other ideas about how they might lineup? I know that Rooney was doing quite a bit of tracking and defending which is hardly Mata's game so is it possible that ADM moves to Rooney's position and more defensive minded midfielders take up a central midfield position?

Just watched the highlights and West Ham had plenty of chances to score so not sure replacing Rooney with a less defensive Mata is going to make them any more solid as they still look vulnerable.

Could he switch to 442 now and give them some proper balance???

You would think that Di Maria, Blind, Hererra and someone on the right would be a bit more solid than a like for like swap of Mata for Rooney.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”