To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pubtalk & Matchday Banter 2014 - 15

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Re: The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pubtalk & Matchday Banter 2014 - 15

Post by Tacalabala »

This England Ireland game is woeful!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Tacalabala wrote:This England Ireland game is woeful!
Yep, and in comparison to the type of talent on show yesterday it's pretty easy to see how far England are from realistically challenging for the Euros or World Cup. The quality just isn't there.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I wouldn't mind us not challenging... I'd settle for us having a style of play and just not being embarrassingly poor at passing.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Mav3rick wrote:I wouldn't mind us not challenging... I'd settle for us having a style of play and just not being embarrassingly poor at passing.
It is indeed very similar to watching Liverpool. Genuinely. Many of the same attackers too, same formation. :P

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Feel sorry for Vardy, nobody will want to remember his debut.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Vardy ahead of Austin? makes sense I suppose when you remember Roy voted for Mascherano as his choice for the Ballon d’Or, the man is a plank.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Two goals and an assist for Fellaini against France so far (0-3).

This referee is the worst referee I have seen in a long, Long, LONG time.

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Post by owenclass »

That was one of the worst games i have seen in a long time Are England that bad

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

SE wrote:Yay! £100 on the Telegraph Champion's League 32's! Won 33-31 :D
Well done, I found out last week that I won 100£ from one of the H2H leagues of AllThingsFPL that I won :D

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

"John, while you're there could you pass the phone to Steve Stone.....?"

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

asm_fanz wrote:
SE wrote:Yay! £100 on the Telegraph Champion's League 32's! Won 33-31 :D
Well done, I found out last week that I won 100£ from one of the H2H leagues of AllThingsFPL that I won :D
Those leagues have cash prizes?

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Yep, I didn't know when I joined so it was a nice surprise

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

asm_fanz wrote:Yep, I didn't know when I joined so it was a nice surprise
I didn't know they had prizes either... Will have to join up if they are still running next season.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Does the site offer anything particularly valuable otherwise in terms of insights or data? Can't say I've ever visited.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

They do indeed... Free access to the opta data, or at least a subset of it.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

By the way Stem... With carver gone and the wally with the brolly due in, do you have much hope of a better season? Dutch players and funny accents in bound?

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Yeah, don't get Dutch players and funny accents, especially if you've only got half a team and people are tipping you for relegation.

You mean look what happened to Southampton. :lol:

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Mav3rick wrote:
asm_fanz wrote:Yep, I didn't know when I joined so it was a nice surprise
I didn't know they had prizes either... Will have to join up if they are still running next season.
I should have shut up about it if I get this kind of competition next season :D

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: The Rounded Keeper - FPL Pubtalk & Matchday Banter 2014 - 15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:Yeah, don't get Dutch players and funny accents, especially if you've only got half a team and people are tipping you for relegation.

You mean look what happened to Southampton. :lol:
As long as it's the Dutch players with the Dutch accents and not Shteve

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Mav3rick wrote:By the way Stem... With carver gone and the wally with the brolly due in, do you have much hope of a better season? Dutch players and funny accents in bound?
I'm actually quite optimistic. I think most fans have been slowly more and more disappointed the last few weeks as 'exciting' French candidates with surnames starting with 'G' have dropped out of the reckoning one by one (though to me the only reason they've been thought of as exciting is that they are not English rather than actually having good records, so might not play the boring style of our previous run of English managers), but now Carver and Stone are gone we've all given ourselves an excuse to actually feel good about the changes as it's suddenly like a new start not just more of the same. McClaren looks to me about as good as we could realistically attract and certainly has the best record of any manager we've hired since Sir Bobby (and actually a more sensible choice imo than the likes of Gardos, Galtier, Gourennec, or more recently Vieira, due to him actually having managing experience of the league).

It seems a very good fit to be honest as he has lots of knowledge of the Dutch and German leagues having managed there, and cheap European players (especially soon coincidentally from the Dutch league I'm told) is where our transfer focus seems to be as a rule. He's also reportedly already good friends with our chief scout Graham Carr. I'm not entirely convinced on him as a manager but everyone that's worked with him says he's an outstanding coach (which we're been missing for years) and pretty good tactically. Given the role is now officially 'Head Coach' that's probably exactly what we need.

As long as we can sort out being top of the injury table every season (usually competing for top spot with Arsenal) and learn to defend just one single set piece then we'll have a very decent season I rekon. We secretly have a pretty decent first eleven when fit (or at least we're only 2/3 players away from having one) - the big problem is that our squad players are absolute dross. De Jong will still be a hit imo, and Caballa was just badly managed as far as I can see. I expect we'll finish top 10 next season, maybe even 7/8th if we sign well and go on a run - there'll be a couple of fpl bargains I rekon, I can see the defenders being underpriced and set piece taking number 10 De Jong being a real option for spells. If he squeeks in at 6.5m or so this time round there may be a bit of Siggy about him.

Viva la Schteeeeeeve.

(Note, you will see the McClarenout.com campaign start around GW3 I suspect)

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Stemania wrote:I expect we'll finish top 10 next season, maybe even 7/8th if we sign well and go on a run
I'd like to think McClaren will do well, and I'd like to see Newcastle finish in the top half, but if I bet you that Newcastle wouldn't finish in the top half, I'd still consider myself to have got a good deal.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

If you consider we had four or five of our strongest lineup (Tiote, De Jong, Cisse, Saylor and Haidara/Dummett) missing for large spells if not most of the second half of the season, essentially didn't have a manager and had a month spell with no fit senior goalkeeper I think the bookies have underrated us a bit. Pardew had us 9th when he left in January with exactly the squad we have now (and with De Jong and Santon out) - I think the bookies are off on this one personally, assuming all those below 7th have the same chance of improving in the transfer window.

We're not going to challenge Spurs, Everton and probably Southampton all things being equal, but I don't see a reason why a fit squad and an actual manager wouldn't immediately have us challenging with the likes of Swansea for the best of the rest. I do happen to think West Ham will have a good season and challenge too though, I like Bilic.

In actual fact, we probably have more money to spend than any of our other rivals for those positions after a couple of seasons of hoarding.

You tell me a team outside the top 6, Soton and Everton who you think will finish in the top 10. The one you pick are odds on not to with the bookies. You tell me who you think is going to win the league next season. If I bet you that whoever you said would not win the title then I would have got a good deal...

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Stemania wrote:Does the site offer anything particularly valuable otherwise in terms of insights or data? Can't say I've ever visited.
Mav3rick wrote:They do indeed... Free access to the opta data, or at least a subset of it.
this leads me to think Stem you never cared then to check my reply to your post there viewtopic.php?f=18&t=116310
:P

(thanks again mav for the link :) )

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

I hadn't, but I have now. Thanks MoSe.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Man, I've just for the first time in years turned on talksport as Olivier Bernard is surposed to be giving an interview to them about McClaren. Mistake. Man, those presenters are absolute morons, every one of them. :shock:

owenclass
Grumpy Old Man

Post by owenclass »

So Steve McClaren is the new Newcastle manager It is a pity he could not get Darren Bent and Tom Ince to join the club

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Roughly when does the new FPL season get under way? Already lost without the weekly captain picks and I'm sure someone here will know the annual average date the game starts.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

58 days till kickoff, 6 days till fixtures are out, around a moth till prices are.

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:58 days till kickoff, 6 days till fixtures are out, around a moth till prices are.
So we'll see some mothballed prices?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Those prices will spread quickly by word of moth

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”