To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Defensive gems?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Maradona_Is_God
Red & Blue Braces

Re: Defensive gems?

Post by Maradona_Is_God »

I seem to remember a few weeks ago when Sunderland's fixtures were sour, didn't Poyet play 5 at the back, with PvA playing left wing-back? That could be the way to go for them at Old Trafford if they want a 0-0.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

indeed
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sunderla ... verein/289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielber ... ht/2486687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/afc-sund ... verein/289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CB Brown O'Shea Vergini
FB PVA & BillyJones
http://epl.squawka.com/tottenham-hotspu ... ue/matches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that was GW22

Reveillere was long-injured tho (GW17-22) as soon he was fit again, he got back in GW23 as RB (shifted to LB only last one) and they immediately reverted to 4 at the back
Billy Jones was dropped after the lost Spurs game, and Wes Brown has just been eased back after and injury who kept him out GW23-24

As one of the many PVA owners, I hope you got it :)

hartvix
Treebeard

Post by hartvix »

Douglas Reynholm wrote:I'm not sure why PVA is such an issue anyway, loads of teams seem to have him so he's a dead player much like Sanchez will be who seems like the captain of choice this week.
I don't get that logic. The fact that everyone has him makes _not_ having him a differential by default and if he has indeed been dropped rather than rested it's free points for anyone who transfers him out. Wollscheid, Dawson and Haidara all look like better options atm.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

hartvix wrote:
Douglas Reynholm wrote:I'm not sure why PVA is such an issue anyway, loads of teams seem to have him so he's a dead player much like Sanchez will be who seems like the captain of choice this week.
I don't get that logic. The fact that everyone has him makes _not_ having him a differential by default and if he has indeed been dropped rather than rested it's free points for anyone who transfers him out. Wollscheid, Dawson and Haidara all look like better options atm.
For this week maybe but long term PVA still offers decent attacking potential and has great fixtures:

Man Utd A
Hull A
Villa H
West Ham A
Newcastle H
Palace H

I think it's worth getting more confirmation on whether he's actually dropped or just rested before making a decision as at 4.2 he's excellent value.

I certainly wouldn't be taking Wollscheid or Haidara over him.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

I think it very much depends on your team and priorities. At the moment he's still widely held, and away to Utd would be unlikely to get more than a point or two anyway. If he's benched again he still may come on and get a point so there is a good argument for leaving and reassessing later.

On the other hand if like me you also have Pantilimon then it's likely that holding isn't the best option unless there are more urgent transfers needed. I personally think Dawson is better at least until gwk33 and Naughton if you can cover 28 and 29.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 24 Feb 2015, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

hartvix
Treebeard

Post by hartvix »

Sammy the Crab wrote:
hartvix wrote:
For this week maybe but long term PVA still offers decent attacking potential and has great fixtures:
At a different time of the season, when snow and cancelled games threaten, I would probably agree. But PvA will most likely be 4th or 5th choice defender so there's every chance that you'll hardly need him again after GW27, rendering his good fixtures useless. Also, Sunderland keep significantly fewer clean sheets when PvA is playing. For GW27 there are better options in the same price range and after that it's all about having a sub with some security of starts.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Maradona_Is_God wrote:I seem to remember a few weeks ago when Sunderland's fixtures were sour, didn't Poyet play 5 at the back, with PvA playing left wing-back? That could be the way to go for them at Old Trafford if they want a 0-0.
They played 3 at the back against Spurs as a way to get both Fletcher and Defoe in the game. That's the last and only time they played it in the league.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

hartvix wrote:

This is a very good point. I suppose the risk in having him his low, but the benefit of changing him may therefore be high. The only problem is that the "free points" very much depend upon the unpredictability of whomever you bring in getting a clean sheet. But, if it's time to get rid of PvA, now is surely the time to do it (for those who aren't hurting more elsewhere).

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Mo Bot wrote:PVA to Dawson is quite tempting for this GW at least.
+1.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

hartvix wrote:For GW27 there are better options in the same price range and after that it's all about having a sub with some security of starts.
Exactly. He's not as nailed on as we thought. If he starts the next two, even three, he doesn't stop becoming a rotation risk. GW26 taught us that Poyet is happy to bench him. Doesn't matter how good the fixtures are if he's not guaranteed to play them.

Not a priority, but definitely a concern.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

hartvix wrote:
The logic is that in these next 2/3 weeks there is bigger fish to fry than wasting a transfer on a similar player with similar points potential.

Most people are saving their transfers for big hitters to get then through 27 or double players for 28, might work ok for you but I don't see the logic in getting a player out that troubles everyone at the expense of a player of two that will make the difference in these gameweeks.

Draft in Ozil or use a transfer on Haidara?

Draft in Eriksen or use the transfer on Alex Bruce?

Makes perfect sense unless you have a load of money to draft in a premium defender who don't have the best of fixtures this week.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

I agree that for most people spending transfers on big hitters is generally going to be better than replacing a cheap defender like PVA with another cheap defender. I certainly don't plan to take PVA out immediately.

I would make the same decision though regardless of whether or not PVA was highly owned.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Once 28 is over he's gone for me but right now loads have him in and around me that I'm not too fussed to carry him as we are all in the same boat, might even turn him into someone for 28 if Walcott doesn't start tonight but if he does then turning Walcott into someone that might score big is more important to me than getting someone in for PVA who probably won't.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

If you're thinking of taking Eriksen and Austin for the dgw then there is no value whatsoever in replacing PVA or any other cheap defender really unless you have two free transfers this week when it definitely does.

If you have the common front three of Giroud, Kane and Aguero then possibly only Eriksen is planned.

Of course some managers plan to also invest in Eriksen and a Spurs defender be it Rose or Vertonghen, but rotation and their cleansheet record puts me off. The other value is covering potential injuries or having a ft spare which to my mind is a good consideration.

To me though it does look like PVA has been dropped and a replacement will be needed and should be one for the longer run. The option is to leave it for this week in case of injuries or do the transfer now and take the chance that a hit may be needed next week if an important player gets injured and Eriksen is wanted for a different player.

I think investing in the WBA or WHU or Swansea defences could be worth doing now as they should be good until wk33 in the case of the former two and longer for West Ham, although wks 28 and 29 may need to be covered for Swansea and West Ham.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 25 Feb 2015, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

liquidfootball2 wrote:If you're thinking of taking Eriksen and Austin for the dgw then there is no value whatsoever in replacing PVA or any other cheap defender really.
Why? I am thinking of taking both of those for the DGW, and using one of my 2 FTs this week to replace PvA.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

eastcentral1 wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote:If you're thinking of taking Eriksen and Austin for the dgw then there is no value whatsoever in replacing PVA or any other cheap defender really.
Why? I am thinking of taking both of those for the DGW, and using one of my 2 FTs this week to replace PvA.
Ah because of 3-4-3. But still, if you need to use a transfer this week makes sense.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Yes sorry i didn't include that scenario and yes if you've got two free this week then it does makes sense to replace PVA. I've amended my original post.

PabloDiscoBar
Treebeard

Post by PabloDiscoBar »

Wenger has basically said in the interview before the game tonight that he is happy to change his fullbacks at whim. I won`t be buying Bellerin then. I have 2 free`s need to shift Baird and PVA. Dawson is in for Baird for sure, perhaps Alderwield for PVA, I dunno. Possibly Wolscheild. What a pain in the ass.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

News of former "defensive gems" - Liam Moore is on loan to Brentford for the rest of the season so he will not be scoring any more FPL points, nor competing with any other Leicester defenders for a spot.

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but thought it worth stating... 6 team line-ups will be announced before the transfer deadline for GW28.

Saints / Palace / Hull / Sunderland / Villa / WBA.

ie- a lot of the teams that ppl are plucking their Defensive Gems from.

It may not be of any consequence as I expect most want their back line sorted for this week and use GW28's transfer with the doublers in mind.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

That's really useful.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Hutton being touch and go forced my hand into ditching PVA in the end, didn't really fancy risking only having 9, 10 I can deal with.

Feels quite nice not seeing him in the side with United A next to him.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

liquidfootball2 wrote:I think investing in the WBA or WHU or Swansea defences could be worth doing now as they should be good until wk33 in the case of the former two and longer for West Ham, although wks 28 and 29 may need to be covered for Swansea and West Ham.
I haven't paid much attention to the West Ham defence all season. Do we know how nailed on Tomkins is for the rest of the season? Looks like he's missed a few games in past few months, but I've no idea as to the reasons why.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Still mulling over this week's move, but hypothetically, who do we rate as the best option between Bertrand and Clyne?

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Notned wrote:Still mulling over this week's move, but hypothetically, who do we rate as the best option between Bertrand and Clyne?
At current prices has to be Bertrand, speaking as a season-long Clyne owner. I rate them fairly similarly.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

thesilkworm wrote:
Notned wrote:Still mulling over this week's move, but hypothetically, who do we rate as the best option between Bertrand and Clyne?
At current prices has to be Bertrand, speaking as a season-long Clyne owner. I rate them fairly similarly.
Thanks mate, Bertrand is the man I've gone for.

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Anyone with news on Hutton?

sirmomo
Treebeard

Post by sirmomo »

Thinking about grabbing a Stoke player to put a full team out for GW27. Specifically Wollscheid. This doesn't seem to be popular, and reasons not to?

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

sirmomo wrote:Thinking about grabbing a Stoke player to put a full team out for GW27. Specifically Wollscheid. This doesn't seem to be popular, and reasons not to?
Just that Stoke haven't been keeping many clean sheets. He's nailed on at a low price with good fixtures though, so I don't think it's a bad move (he entered my thoughts this week but I went Dawson instead).

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

sirmomo wrote:Thinking about grabbing a Stoke player to put a full team out for GW27. Specifically Wollscheid. This doesn't seem to be popular, and reasons not to?

I'd be interested in the answer to this too. Had him pencilled in as a replacement for one of my two defensive flops, Wasilewski (Ugh!) and Cameron (don't laugh!) for a while. Ok, Stoke aren't keeping that many clean sheets, but their defenders are cheap, and with 3 home games in the next four (and decent fixtures at that) I think they're as good a short term punt as anyone else mentioned on this thread.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”