To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Defensive gems?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
flare2
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consistently satisfactory

Re: Defensive gems?

Post by flare2 »

So bringing in Vlaar for Wisdom didn't work out so well.

What with PvA potentially dropped I now only have 9 starters for next week, I think I'll leave PvA in for a bit but need someone to bring in with the express purpose of the one GW. I guess if I go for a Bruce/Dawson I may keep them for the rest of the season while a Bertrand will only be a couple of weeks.

Do we know why Bruce only played 57 mins? I'm still looking at Yun...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

flare2 wrote:So bringing in Vlaar for Wisdom didn't work out so well.

What with PvA potentially dropped I now only have 9 starters for next week, I think I'll leave PvA in for a bit but need someone to bring in with the express purpose of the one GW. I guess if I go for a Bruce/Dawson I may keep them for the rest of the season while a Bertrand will only be a couple of weeks.

I don't know for sure but it appeared to be an attacking substitution, Ramirez coming on as Bruce offers little going forward and it was vital to beat QPR. The score was 1-1 at the time so maybe thought he had to do something to change it.

Made the substitution after 52 i think.

Hull website gives

"Bruce threw on as much attacking armoury as he could with Gaston Ramirez, Abel Hernandez and Sone Aluko all introduced from the bench but a stubborn opponent continued to be the source of frustration."

Maradona_Is_God
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Maradona_Is_God »

This is likely the week I'll have to replace Wisdom. I'm looking at Woolshed (4.5), Vergini (4.5), Dawson (4.4) or Naughton (4.3). Is Dawson nailed on now? Or Pulis still in the experimenting stage?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Spurs defence as expected poor, yet in here they are applauded . Trust your own gut on this. I would suggest Dawson a decent pick

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Billy Bongo wrote:Spurs defence as expected poor, yet in here they are applauded . Trust your own gut on this. I would suggest Dawson a decent pick
Yes i'm ignoring the Spurs defence, PVA (if just dropped) to Dawson looks much better going forward.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Wassocklowsy benched

Only Bruce remains as a half decent 3 point niner

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Think I'm going to ride it out with PVA.

Read he may have had a knock so there is an outside chance he may be back next week, and I'm not sure I'd fancy him to get much more than 2 points at OT regardless, so wouldn't make all that much difference sticking with him and fielding 10. Also, with 0 itb, there aren't really any affordable alternatives which jump out at me.

Obviously this plan could change slightly if Alderweireld is confirmed out again. I will definitely be holding onto him regardless as I would only want him back as soon as he is fit, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable with the possibility of only fielding nine. Ten I can cope with.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I've been saying all along Rose is a superb player

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Billy Bongo wrote:Wassocklowsy benched

Only Bruce remains as a half decent 3 point niner
Yun has played the last two games. Don't know if he's classed as half decent though.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

The words half decent and QPR and defence don't form a sentence

White Tiger
Grumpy Old Man

Post by White Tiger »

Billy Bongo wrote:The words half decent and QPR and defence don't form a sentence
Apart from yours, just there :wink:

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Maradona_Is_God wrote:This is likely the week I'll have to replace Wisdom. I'm looking at Woolshed (4.5), Vergini (4.5), Dawson (4.4) or Naughton (4.3). Is Dawson nailed on now? Or Pulis still in the experimenting stage?
Of those, I would go for either Wollscheid or Naughton. They are the most nailed on. I have Wollscheid myself, but would probably edge toward Naughton due to the cheaper price tag, better fixtures and extra attacking potential.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

Tall Paul wrote:
DanCaek wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote:Dawson looks well worth it to me at 4.4, maybe not so much for his wk27 fixture but the next fixtures look good and Pulis has made a point of praising the job done by Brunt and Dawson
I'd say he only really has Sunderland and burnley at home as his enticing clean sheet fixtures for the rest of the season though, and Hutton covers both those game weeks with west brom and west ham at home. Not that I think west ham is a great fixture but I'm looking for a bit more from a defender that will be in a rotation circle with Hutton. I imagine most have him.
Wrong Dawson.
Well that's a bit embarrassing. Apologies. :oops:

Now I am interested as wisdom is currently my 11th man, and I was struggling for someone to replace him with in time for gw27. I will probably make this move. Cheers.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Notned wrote:
Maradona_Is_God wrote:This is likely the week I'll have to replace Wisdom. I'm looking at Woolshed (4.5), Vergini (4.5), Dawson (4.4) or Naughton (4.3). Is Dawson nailed on now? Or Pulis still in the experimenting stage?
Of those, I would go for either Wollscheid or Naughton. They are the most nailed on. I have Wollscheid myself, but would probably edge toward Naughton due to the cheaper price tag, better fixtures and extra attacking potential.
Personally, between now and the end of the season, I think I'd prefer Stoke's fixture list to Swansea's. But Naughton is a little cheaper and does have 1 assist to his credit. I have this choice to make too, and I think I'll go for Wollsheid; but I don't think it's going to be a season-maker (or breaker) either way.

elvushi
Treebeard

Post by elvushi »

Need each of Bruce, PvA and Bellerin to play GW27 to have 11.

1 free transfer.

Stick or twist?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Notned wrote:
Yes Naughton is definitely one to consider. I think Burnley will score next week but then there aren't any obvious cleansheets for 'value' defenders in wk27, and as you say he has attacking potential and a nice run of fixtures aren't far off.

Dawson and WBA are currently getting a few cleansheets and also have decent fixtures. Although he may not be quite as nailed or offer the attacking threat of Naughton, Pulis has sung his praises recently, and i wouldn't be all that surprised if they kept another cs at home to Saints next week as Saints haven't been prolific recently.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

If you are looking only GW27 punt, why not Newcastle defenders? I know they conceded five against City but any team would be near to CS against Villa :lol:

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Finisher1 wrote:If you are looking only GW27 punt, why not Newcastle defenders? I know they conceded five against City but any team would be near to CS against Villa :lol:
And there was me going to captain Benteke :lol: 8-)

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

As Pulis now seems to have settled on his back 4, Dawson is looking a great pick to me at the moment. 10 clean sheets this season for WBA which is next best after Southampton and Chelsea's 12 and cheaply priced at 4.4.

Good GW27 fixture as well. At home to a team that have only scored 1 in the last 4.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

PVA to Dawson is quite tempting for this GW at least.

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

I don't have PVA so it doesn't concern me. However are we not jumping the gun a bit by wanting to hoof him out? As far as Im aware, he is the only left back in their squad so there must have been a good reason why he was on the bench the other day. I would say the chances are, he will start the next game.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I agree. PvA walked into the team at the start, and after his injury. I think gw27 panic is affecting people's judgement. Away to ManYoo has got 1 pointer written all over it anyway, I'll give it another week at least, because if he is still a starter I want him in my team.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

No van Persie, Rooney not scoring, Falcao looking lost, Di Maria struggling, not sure Old Trafford strikes fear in many sides these days.

If Poyet goes there to park the bus they will probably get something out of the game.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

If he goes there to park the bus I'd imagine PVA will start on the bench. I'm holding and if he's not back in the team for GW28 he'll have to go.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

I already have Pantilimon and would far rather buy into the WBA defence with Dawson than hang onto PVA.

I'll still consider whether leaving this gwk isn't better and make a decision on Friday after the pressers if no further injuries complicate matters.

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Douglas Reynholm wrote:No van Persie, Rooney not scoring, Falcao looking lost, Di Maria struggling, not sure Old Trafford strikes fear in many sides these days.

If Poyet goes there to park the bus they will probably get something out of the game.
Agreed. 5 of their 9 clean sheets have come away from home so they know how to go away and defend which may not be too difficult against a rather lacklustre Man Utd attack. That said, I guess it's not a great fixture for Sunderland and you wouldn't be putting money on a clean sheet which isn't helpful given the other GW issues.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
flare2 wrote:So bringing in Vlaar for Wisdom didn't work out so well.

I don't know for sure but it appeared to be an attacking substitution, Ramirez coming on as Bruce offers little going forward and it was vital to beat QPR. The score was 1-1 at the time so maybe thought he had to do something to change it.

Made the substitution after 52 i think.

Hull website gives

"Bruce threw on as much attacking armoury as he could with Gaston Ramirez, Abel Hernandez and Sone Aluko all introduced from the bench but a stubborn opponent continued to be the source of frustration."
And QPR were down a man so not a lot of need for defensive cover. I wouldn't look too much into it myself (and I am as a Bruce owner).

EDIT: Mean to say "and I am AS a Bruce owner." No idea how the negative got in there!
Last edited by SuperGrover on 24 Feb 2015, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

mayweather
FISOhead

Post by mayweather »

it was that shit fa cup loss that cost him his place and a clean sheet for owners. having kept a clean sheet i doubt poyet will change the back line...maybe its for the best. id take another 2 minute cameo ahead of him starting at OT if offered right now. utd 1/20 to score a goal and 4/11 to score at least 2

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

I'm not sure why PVA is such an issue anyway, loads of teams seem to have him so he's a dead player much like Sanchez will be who seems like the captain of choice this week.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Douglas Reynholm wrote:I'm not sure why PVA is such an issue anyway, loads of teams seem to have him so he's a dead player much like Sanchez will be who seems like the captain of choice this week.
Basically this. Allied with the lack of attractive replacements in the same price category (I have no money in the bank), I think I will just hold for now and wait and see if he wins his place back.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”