To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Defensive gems?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Defensive gems?

Post by Mav3rick »

Last season we had Coleman @ 5.0, this season what can you see as standout value in defence?

Candidates for me are:

Debuchy @5.5 is a slight discount on an Arsenal defender. A shame their fixtures aren't great at the start and 0.5 more expensive that I'd have liked.

Jagielka @5.5 comes with a big discount from the likes of Coleman and Baines. If he'd been fit, then I think he'd have scored more points per million (last years points, this years price) than either of the full backs. Fixtures are pretty rubbish at the start though and he has Stones/Distin for competition.

Palace defenders look good value @5.0

Oviedo If his leg wasn't broken might be OOP @5.0 so one to watch for in September.

Rose @5.0 at Spurs if Pochettino can recreate the same sort of defence he had at Southampton.

Trippier @5.0 is a bit expensive but got plenty of assists last year. Don't really like their fixtures until GW5 though.

Flannagan @5.0 looks good value compared to the rest of the Liverpool defence.

There's a lot of players @4.5, highlights I thought came from Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke and the promoted Leicester and Burnley defence.

Couldn't see anything of interest at 4.0, maybe one of the Burnley defenders will be base price, also maybe Newcastle and Southampton, depending on who signs for and who leaves those clubs.
Last edited by Mav3rick on 16 Jul 2014, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Re: Defensive gems?

Post by swadd1er »

Vlaar at 4.5?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

swadd1er wrote:Vlaar at 4.5?
Don't trust Lambert's teams to defend. He did have a good world cup though that was with better defenders around him.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Mav3rick wrote:Debuchy @5.5 is a slight discount on an Arsenal defender. A shame their fixtures aren't great at the start and 0.5 more expensive that I'd have liked.
First name on my teamsheet. A bargain for an Arsenal defender, and one of only four players I'm certain to start the season with. And yeah, his first seven fixtures contain some really sticky-looking ones, but Palace (H), Leicester (A) and Villa (A) in his first five offer really good chances of clean sheets.

RidleyMTB
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RidleyMTB »

Enrique at 5.0 if he can regain fitness?

It seems Vlaar is a very popular pick already and he is in my initial draft.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I think the starting Utd defenders (whoever they will be) look good at 5.5. Other than that and Debuchy I don't think there are many this year yet, although there is a long way to go. :?

On the Everton defenders, their fixtures are pretty rough so I'll probably avoid. Baines @ 7 would have likely tempted me otherwise. :(

Huth at 5 could be good if he returns to his form of old, though in Cameron and Wilson there are two cheaper regular starters.

Dawson would be my Spurs pick atm, but with a new manager who knows? If they get Davies from Swansea that will create two very good options (with Taylor at 4.5). But I think 5m looks good value for a Spurs defender every year untill I see them play. I think the 5m price of the other Swansea assets is about right, depends on their form (now without Europa). :|

Other than that, I agree on Newcastle and Sunderland - pity that the fixtures their rotation gives are fairly poor as mentioned in the rotation thread. :twisted:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Gotta be the back 4 at Hull, Chester Figgers Rosenior all 4.5

That's where the value is

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Billy Bongo wrote:Gotta be the back 4 at Hull, Chester Figgers Rosenior all 4.5

Don't think there's much value there to be honest. Think they are priced fairly.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

RidleyMTB wrote:It seems Vlaar is a very popular pick already and he is in my initial draft.
As already mentioned by Mav3rick, putting your faith in Villa defenders is a very risky strategy indeed. Fair enough, their first three fixtures are quite decent. Their next five read: Liverpool (A), Arsenal (H), Chelsea (A), Man City (H), Everton (A).
Stemania wrote:I think the starting Utd defenders (whoever they will be) look good at 5.5.
I agree, they look like very good value, especially considering their run of soft opening fixtures. I'll be keeping my eye on those guys in pre-season to see which of them van Gaal favours.
Stemania wrote:On the Everton defenders, their fixtures are pretty rough so I'll probably avoid. Baines @ 7 would have likely tempted me otherwise.
Would love to have Baines in from the start, but looking at their fixtures, it might be best to ignore him for the first seven games. Would hope to get him in around GW8, ideally. Hopefully his price may have dropped a bit by then too.

Senderos, anyone? Anyone at all? No? Right then. Never mind.

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

Jenkinson at 5m? As they have sold Sagna, I don't see anyone else other than Jenkinson playing right back.

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Also Evra at 5.5 seems cheap but will he be first choice with Shaw now there?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

gooberman wrote:Jenkinson at 5m? As they have sold Sagna, I don't see anyone else other than Jenkinson playing right back.
Apart from De....De... can't remember his name?

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

gooberman wrote:Jenkinson at 5m? As they have sold Sagna, I don't see anyone else other than Jenkinson playing right back.
Ahem.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Cresswell at WHM got 2 goals and 12 assists last season. 5.5 is a bit much unless you're playing 4 at the back though. Averaged almost one shot per game too (0.9) which was more than Coleman.
Last edited by Mav3rick on 16 Jul 2014, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Sorry I still think Chester at 4.5 is a gem

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Ahem.
Oh right, disregard that then.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Billy Bongo wrote:Sorry I still think Chester at 4.5 is a gem
I think, he's priced right :lol: Project his points and he's around 100, which is decent for a 4.5 defender but not great. Pretty sure that some cheap defender or other will emerge in the 4.5 bracket with a 120-140 score and don't think it will be him.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Good early fixtures though Hull. Problem for me is that there many other good looking options at 4.5.

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Mav3rick wrote:
Billy Bongo wrote:Sorry I still think Chester at 4.5 is a gem
I think, he's priced right :lol: Project his points and he's around 100, which is decent for a 4.5 defender but not great. Pretty sure that some cheap defender or other will emerge in the 4.5 bracket with a 120-140 score and don't think it will be him.
Figueroa is the same price and probably a better pick. Chester seems to get injured a lot.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

gooberman wrote:Also Evra at 5.5 seems cheap but will he be first choice with Shaw now there?
Doubt it as he was virtually sold to Juventus before Conte resigned.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

gooberman wrote:Also Evra at 5.5 seems cheap but will he be first choice with Shaw now there?
I'm starting to think you're just taking the piss now.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Stemania wrote:Good early fixtures though Hull. Problem for me is that there many other good looking options at 4.5.
Not that many!

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
I'm starting to think you're just taking the piss now.
Didn't know

chandler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by chandler »

If Koeman doesn't sign a left back then it might be time for Matty Targett (4.0m) to step up

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

De Gea, Jones, Debuchy, Wilson, Azpiliqueta, Figueroa as a back 5?

Really want some Chelsea cover with them having Burnley and Leicester first 2 games. United coverage speaks for itself. My only concern with Azpiliqueta is the possibility of Filipe Luís playing LB and Ivanovic RB, however Azpiliqueta could play RB with Luís LB.

We'll just have to wait and see :?

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

chandler wrote:If Koeman doesn't sign a left back then it might be time for Matty Targett (4.0m) to step up
I'm sure he's Targetting a first-team spot already. :wink:

Sorry.

chandler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by chandler »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
chandler wrote:If Koeman doesn't sign a left back then it might be time for Matty Targett (4.0m) to step up

Sorry.
Your apology will never, ever be accepted

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Evra has left Utd for Juventus.

V1.0
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Triple FISO 5AS Champions

Post by V1.0 »

Billy Bongo wrote:Gotta be the back 4 at Hull, Chester Figgers Rosenior all 4.5

What about Bruce at £4.0m? He got quite a bit of game time last year, even when Chester wasn't injured, and the manager seems to like him :wink:

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

chandler wrote:
Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Sorry.
Your apology will never, ever be accepted
What's wrong? I'm Lovren that pun...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”