To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Defensive gems?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Blue Fire
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Defensive gems?

Post by Blue Fire »

Why would you want to bring in a WBA defender now? Their fixtures are turd. Alderweireld and Naughton are better options.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

• EDIT: OK, I took some more time to check the details, and work derouted me too, so silkworm pipped me to the reply :wink:
    but I had it ready by now so here it goes anyway :mrgreen:
MartyBhoy7 wrote:Looking at McAuley who is £4.8m but only played 1 minute v City despite playing the games before that so is he a risk when Dawson returns?
he only played 1 minute because he was red carded
Immagine.JPG
then on review after the game the ref admitted the mistaken identity (?), so Dawson got the ban, which was rescinded (?) from McAuley
[forgive me as I might not know the technically correct terms]

McAuley was nailed on as CB since GW15
Pulis did some reshuffling, which never involved him tho
TP dropped Wisdom from RB, shifting Dawson there since GW24
I'm not in the know, but I'd "figure" that when Dawson comes back after the ban he'll take back the RB spot again, not challenging Mc for CB

In the meanwhile TP experimented with Lescott CB and shifting midf Brunt at LB
then vs City Olsson came back as CB alongside McAuley, with Lescott LB
Baird, who had played 4 games as LB in December, had been dropped, and brought back as CM vs City (of course after the dismissal he went back in defence)

Even when Dawson comes back, I think TP should go with the same backline who started vs City (LB Lescott - McAuley-Olsson - Dawson RB)
I've no hints that Baird, Pocognoli, Wisdom or Brunt would be brought back in the mix,
of course anything could happen, but that should be not triggered by Dawson returning after the ban (barring some exceptional performance by Baird vs QPR?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

MoSe wrote:
  • EDIT: OK, I took some more time to check the details, and work derouted me too, so silkworm pipped me to the reply :wink:
    but I had it ready by now so here it goes anyway :mrgreen:
MartyBhoy7 wrote:Looking at McAuley who is £4.8m but only played 1 minute v City despite playing the games before that so is he a risk when Dawson returns?
he only played 1 minute because he was red carded
Immagine.JPG
then on review after the game the ref admitted the mistaken identity (?), so Dawson got the ban, which was rescinded (?) from McAuley
[forgive me as I might not know the technically correct terms]

McAuley was nailed on as CB since GW15
Pulis did some reshuffling, which never involved him tho
TP dropped Wisdom from RB, shifting Dawson there since GW24
I'm not in the know, but I'd "figure" that when Dawson comes back after the ban he'll take back the RB spot again, not challenging Mc for CB

In the meanwhile TP experimented with Lescott CB and shifting midf Brunt at LB
then vs City Olsson came back as CB alongside McAuley, with Lescott LB
Baird, who had played 4 games as LB in December, had been dropped, and brought back as CM vs City (of course after the dismissal he went back in defence)

Even when Dawson comes back, I think TP should go with the same backline who started vs City (LB Lescott - McAuley-Olsson - Dawson RB)
I've no hints that Baird, Pocognoli, Wisdom or Brunt would be brought back in the mix,
of course anything could happen, but that should be not triggered by Dawson returning after the ban (barring some exceptional performance by Baird vs QPR?)
That's right, sorry forgot it was as early as the first minute.

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Blue Fire wrote:Why would you want to bring in a WBA defender now? Their fixtures are turd. Alderweireld and Naughton are better options.
You having a laugh? They have back to back home games against QPR and Leicester.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

MartyBhoy7 wrote:
Blue Fire wrote:Why would you want to bring in a WBA defender now? Their fixtures are turd. Alderweireld and Naughton are better options.
You having a laugh? They have back to back home games against QPR and Leicester.
After that they are pretty ropey though, but having a GW33 fixture is nice. Unless you have a wildcard you may be committing to a transfer in future by buying an outfielder at this point. Now Dawson is suspended I'd be picking up Myhill if I wanted to hit the next two home games if possible - he can always be brought in as a second keeper meaning no transfer is necessary when their fixtures go bad.

For the price of the next best WBA defender I think I'd rather just have an extra Southampton like Alderwiereld until the end of the year, even if their fixture this week isn't so attractive.

bentapp
FISOhead

Post by bentapp »

Has Duff definitely taken Keane's place in the Burnley side? Anyone know why Keane was dropped? If Duff will play rest of season then at 3.9 he looks a bargain with their remaining fixtures and very solid at home, frees up a lot of cash too!

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I'd be surprised if you can't find a better use for a free transfer though, with the doubles coming up in 34 and 37 free transfers are probably going on those players rather than cheap defenders.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

wish i had know this earlier Lescott 0 points from 2 games for me can't believe i made that silly mistake when my other option was Alder

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

Does anyone know what the crack is with Collins and keeping his place at West Ham?

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

DanCaek wrote:Does anyone know what the crack is with Collins and keeping his place at West Ham?
There are only two fit centrebacks at WHU, he has no competition.

TheChairLeg
Red & Blue Braces

Post by TheChairLeg »

de Laet was taken off at half-time over the weekend? Is it injury or a change of tactics?

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Duff has been getting the full 90 minutes lately for Burnley. Is he nailed on now or due to an injury?

The Dazzler
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 9th overall in FPL 2005/06, 50th 2010/11, 288th 2014/15

Post by The Dazzler »

ctibbits wrote:Duff has been getting the full 90 minutes lately for Burnley. Is he nailed on now or due to an injury?
He was playing at the start of the season and then Keane (who was on loan from Man Utd) took his place.
Keane then signed on a permanent deal in January.
Keane wasn't injured and Duff got his place back 4 games ago and they seem to have tightened up a bit so I guess he looks to cemented the place. Duff is 37 years old though and he is out of contract at the end of this season, so I don't know if that has any relevance.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Well I am not really considering him until week 37 to make funds so I guess I would know more by then. Not really sure why I am even attempting to run through the weeks that far ahead at this point. Something is going to cock it all up.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

The Dazzler wrote:
ctibbits wrote:Duff has been getting the full 90 minutes lately for Burnley. Is he nailed on now or due to an injury?
He was playing at the start of the season and then Keane (who was on loan from Man Utd) took his place.
I thought Keane took Duff place only because Duff got longterm injured in the first place.
Then when Duff got back fit, after a while he won his place back.
Was I wrong?

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Everyone should own Alder, he is an amazing bargain at 4.8

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

MoSe wrote:
The Dazzler wrote:
I thought Keane took Duff place only because Duff got longterm injured in the first place.
Then when Duff got back fit, after a while he won his place back.
Was I wrong?
Half right. He's been fit and on the bench since mid January.

Duff got back in because he's much better in the air than Keane and we were conceding too many headed goals. Since he's been back, they've been much tighter at the back, especially at home, keeping Aguero, Kane and Giroud off the scoresheet in recent games.

I would think he'll play every game between now and the end of the season, injury and suspension permitting.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Just a warning for cheap defender owners that I'm likely to transfer in Schlupp if Alderweireld is out injured. This will add Schlupp to the dropped/injury/red carded list along with Bertrand, Baird, Wisdom, Hutton, Dawson, Haidara and Alderweireld all of whom I have owned as replacements for eachother since GW23.

I am also tempted by Ryan Taylor (who will definitely get injured) for Dawson. Beware!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

I knew you should have transferred in Naughton.

MPTree
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MPTree »

Anyone know how nailed Wasilewski is these days? No injuries to Leicester's defence, so I guess his place is fairly secure? He may be my enabler for a 3rd Arsenal player. Faces Sunderland away followed by QPR at home.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

I had brought him in for GW36 already, regardless his nailedness :D
at 3.8m there's no cheapest defender anyway (I couldn't have afforded a 3.9m hehe) and he plays more than Baird fer sure
I even played him and got his 5p

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Baines having an operation so will miss the next two. Garbutt at 3.9 and on corners looks a decent option.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Sammy the Crab wrote:Baines having an operation so will miss the next two. Garbutt at 3.9 and on corners looks a decent option.
Pity their last two fixtures aren't particularly superb - if this happened a month or so ago I rekon he would have become pretty default, but it's a bit too late now maybe. Doesn't seem a particularly good use of a transfer at this stage unless a 3.9m is required to raise money for a doubler. Even then and I prefer Wasilewski's or Duff's fixtures at that price.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Does he have any particular upside (set pieces, crossing ability, etc)?

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

Stemania wrote:
Sammy the Crab wrote:Baines having an operation so will miss the next two. Garbutt at 3.9 and on corners looks a decent option.
Pity their last two fixtures aren't particularly superb - if this happened a month or so ago I rekon he would have become pretty default, but it's a bit too late now maybe. Doesn't seem a particularly good use of a transfer at this stage unless a 3.9m is required to raise money for a doubler. Even then and I prefer Wasilewski's or Duff's fixtures at that price.
I think Evertons fixtures are good actually. West Ham - 1 goal in 3. Spurs - 0 goals in 2. Both of these teams must be near the bottom of the form league. I need to downgrade Bertrand to a defender 5m or less to fund Sanchez. Im actually quite torn now between Garbutt and a Leicester defender.

The Username
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Username »

Mav3rick wrote:Does he have any particular upside (set pieces, crossing ability, etc)?
Excellent delivery and corners are superb, likes a dribble also so BP's may not be out of the question. Will play the rest of the season as Everton are trying to convince him to sign a new contract - which is far from certain. If he does he will be on loan at a newly promoted PL team next season. Thought of very highly at Everton, though a product of the Leeds academy and would be in the team if any other left back was in front of him apart from Baines.

Worth noting as well Everton and WHU could be a relatively tame affair given both are fighting it out for a european place through the fair play qualifying.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

The Username wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Does he have any particular upside (set pieces, crossing ability, etc)?
Excellent delivery and corners are superb, likes a dribble also so BP's may not be out of the question. Will play the rest of the season as Everton are trying to convince him to sign a new contract - which is far from certain. If he does he will be on loan at a newly promoted PL team next season. Thought of very highly at Everton, though a product of the Leeds academy and would be in the team if any other left back was in front of him apart from Baines.

Worth noting as well Everton and WHU could be a relatively tame affair given both are fighting it out for a european place through the fair play qualifying.
Not in my plans for this season, but an interesting note on a potential loan for next season. Could be a very good cut-price option, should that be the case.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Galloway (?!) starts ahead of Garbutt, who is on the bench.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Stemania wrote:Galloway (?!) starts ahead of Garbutt, who is on the bench.
Ouch! Well that is a good way to destroy a cheeky punt from people.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Stemania wrote:Galloway (?!) starts ahead of Garbutt, who is on the bench.
Great career move for the former MP. I've heard John Hemming and Danny Alexander are on trial with Swansea.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”