To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Defensive gems?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Re: Defensive gems?

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

sirmomo wrote:Thinking about grabbing a Stoke player to put a full team out for GW27. Specifically Wollscheid. This doesn't seem to be popular, and reasons not to?
moonlightdribbler wrote:I'd be interested in the answer to this too. Had him pencilled in as a replacement for one of my two defensive flops, Wasilewski (Ugh!) and Cameron (don't laugh!) for a while. Ok, Stoke aren't keeping that many clean sheets, but their defenders are cheap, and with 3 home games in the next four (and decent fixtures at that) I think they're as good a short term punt as anyone else mentioned on this thread.
Stoke haven't been as solid in defence as they used to be, but they're still not as poor as some other defences in the league, have good fixtures, and Wollscheid seems nailed on and cheap. I've had him for a while and feel a little disappointed not to have got a clean sheet out of fixtures against QPR,vil and new, but I'd still say they stand a chance of getting one in the next few weeks and he's a good pick. Stoke are 11/10 to keep a clean sheet this week making them the PaddyPower's second favourite to get a clean sheet, with only United (5/6) at shorter odds.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

thesilkworm wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote:I think investing in the WBA or WHU or Swansea defences could be worth doing now as they should be good until wk33 in the case of the former two and longer for West Ham, although wks 28 and 29 may need to be covered for Swansea and West Ham.
I haven't paid much attention to the West Ham defence all season. Do we know how nailed on Tomkins is for the rest of the season? Looks like he's missed a few games in past few months, but I've no idea as to the reasons why.
I recall a while ago WH defence was ridden with injuries..
Checking on his CTC page I see he had a series of flags for knocks and minor injuries
since mid-november anyway he only missed 3
GW18, GW20 (suspended), GW23
Can't say if this makes him injury prone honestly
otoh other WH defs cost more and have lower PPG

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

swadd1er wrote:Anyone with news on Hutton?
Touch and go was the line used.

d_manager
Treebeard

Post by d_manager »

anyone got any idea whether PVA is expected to start? otherwise i'm switching him for naughton

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

d_manager wrote:anyone got any idea whether PVA is expected to start? otherwise i'm switching him for naughton
We don't know, but my personal opinion is that I think Poyet will name an unchanged backline. He could start and I'd guess he's likely to come on for a point anyway.

If its a question of having two frees next week or swapping out PvA now, I'd probably leave him in. Ifyou have two frees already and nothing more pressing then I'd sell him (as I did).

d_manager
Treebeard

Post by d_manager »

Mav3rick wrote:
d_manager wrote:anyone got any idea whether PVA is expected to start? otherwise i'm switching him for naughton
We don't know, but my personal opinion is that I think Poyet will name an unchanged backline. He could start and I'd guess he's likely to come on for a point anyway.

If its a question of having two frees next week or swapping out PvA now, I'd probably leave him in. Ifyou have two frees already and nothing more pressing then I'd sell him (as I did).
thanks maverick! yeah got 2 frees this week and no other pressing matter really so i want to go for a good long term pick in defence. my back line is currently:
Pantilimon
Clyne, Jones, PVA, Wollscheid, Bruce

got 1.1m in the bank too. i'm thinking PVA :arrow: Dawson rather than Naughton.

who did you switch PVA for yourself Maverick?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

d_manager wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:

thanks maverick! yeah got 2 frees this week and no other pressing matter really so i want to go for a good long term pick in defence. my back line is currently:
Pantilimon

I went with Dawson, although depending on the rest of your team do you need to play PvA this week?

d_manager
Treebeard

Post by d_manager »

Mav3rick wrote:
d_manager wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:

Pantilimon

I went with Dawson, although depending on the rest of your team do you need to play PvA this week?
I can field this team this week without PVA:
Pantilimon
Clyne, Wollscheid, Jones, Bruce
Boyd, Sanchez, Cazorla, Di Maria
Aguero(c), Giroud

So its either sticking to this and losing a transfer or PVA :arrow: Dawson and replace Bruce from the above team? what do you think?

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

If you play PVA you will have a Sunderland defensive block at United, that could be 2 players blanking straight away.

I also did the PVA to Dawson switch, seems a popular one, brought in Haidara too for Wisdom as valued this week more then next when our squads will be much stronger anyway.

Your team don't look bad anyway tbh.

d_manager
Treebeard

Post by d_manager »

Douglas Reynholm wrote:If you play PVA you will have a Sunderland defensive block at United, that could be 2 players blanking straight away.

I also did the PVA to Dawson switch, seems a popular one, brought in Haidara too for Wisdom as valued this week more then next when our squads will be much stronger anyway.

thats true re the defensive block against man utd. i don't really fancy my defence this week with both Pantilimon and PVA playing. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on PVA :arrow: Dawson

Bao
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Bao »

I read an article on PVA. Look like he will play.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sun ... -1-7129099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

It would certainly make you stronger, West Brom have been fairly tight and Southampton have not been scoring loads.

Would benefit your team IMO plus he's a long term pick for the next few.
Last edited by Douglas Reynholm on 28 Feb 2015, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

d_manager wrote:
Douglas Reynholm wrote:If you play PVA you will have a Sunderland defensive block at United, that could be 2 players blanking straight away.

thats true re the defensive block against man utd. i don't really fancy my defence this week with both Pantilimon and PVA playing. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on PVA :arrow: Dawson
Are you sure that you wont want Silva for next week? As you can already field an XI I might actually consider Cazorla to Silva, and then the two frees next week for extra doublers.

You can carry PvA for a bit if needed, I had both him and Hutton plus a bench full of Chelsea and Spurs and no single transfer way into Silva, so I think our situations were different.

d_manager
Treebeard

Post by d_manager »

Mav3rick wrote:
Are you sure that you wont want Silva for next week? As you can already field an XI I might actually consider Cazorla to Silva, and then the two frees next week for extra doublers.

You can carry PvA for a bit if needed, I had both him and Hutton plus a bench full of Chelsea and Spurs and no single transfer way into Silva, so I think our situations were different.
The Silva option looks good. My only uncertainty about it is that my main rival who is about 90 points ahead has Silva already in his team. Would you switch to Silva if you were in this position? or stick to Cazorla as a differential? I know theres been long debates about these things...But if it's the option I think should bring in the most points it's the Silva one, ignoring the fact that my rival has Silva too.

But the PVA transfer doesn't look as necessary having read that article and having Bruce as possible back up.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

d_manager wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:

The Silva option looks good. My only uncertainty about it is that my main rival who is about 90 points ahead has Silva already in his team. Would you switch to Silva if you were in this position? or stick to Cazorla as a differential? I know theres been long debates about these things...But if it's the option I think should bring in the most points it's the Silva one, ignoring the fact that my rival has Silva too.

But the PVA transfer doesn't look as necessary having read that article and having Bruce as possible back up.
I've posted in your RMT, lets continue the discussion there rather than going off topic in this thread.

d_manager
Treebeard

Post by d_manager »

Mav3rick wrote:
I've posted in your RMT, lets continue the discussion there rather than going off topic in this thread.
True. Sorry guys :) at least PVA is a popular issue at least

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

I'm only playing 10 (Eriksen, Kane, Hazard and Ivanovic).

I had to ditch Marney with my 1 freebie.

I have PVA and Hutton.

Do I ditch one? (For a hit, obviously)

I could end up playing 8 if neither play...

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

It would have to be pretty special circumstances to replace a budget defender for a hit, I would stick there Ton, if you've lost faith in those players all together, want someone like C Dawson for his easy run, and don't expect to have a transfer free to make the switch in the future it may eventually pay off, but that's pretty questionable. If Hutton and Van Aanholt don't play you won't be the only team short of players. I have Hutton playing and Van Aanholt on my bench as first sub, there's a good chance at least one will play, and both could.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Pulis looks to have turned the corner now. WBA defenders/Foster are certainly defensive gems again.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Same with Palace, I watched the game yesterday, they were superb.

Scott Dann 4.9 Martin Kelly 4.4

bentapp
FISOhead

Post by bentapp »

Transferred out Hutton as thought he wouldn't play, but pleased with Naughton's CS :)

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Good performances from all of my defenders yesterday. Was planning on bringing in a Spurs defender for the double, but with my existing defence all performing well and having decent fixtures this week I think I may well hold off on that one. Bertrand, Alderweireld, Wollscheid, PVA, Bellerin seems decent enough, and I'm not sure who I would replace.

Actually, come to think of it I am tempted to bring in a Spurs defender for Alderweireld. May seem odd after holding onto him for so long, but now I have Bertrand I don't feel quite as inclined to keep him. Spurs fixtures over the next few just about trump Southampton's I think, so at is probably slightly preferable to the double up. Guess it's a big plus seeing the line ups before deadline on Tuesday.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

PvA benched again. Surely time to get rid for those of us that haven't already.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

He played last game, is 4.2m, and next fixture is Villa (H)... I think I'll stick for now. :lol:

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

I'm heavily contemplating a switch to reveillere at .3 more if my transfer stays free.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

DanCaek wrote:PvA benched again. Surely time to get rid for those of us that haven't already.
If you've held for the last couple of weeks then I'd hold for one more and bank your transfer. If you have two free, I bet you can find a more profitable move.

Medium term though, if his rotation is not predictable then I don't think you can hold him if he's part of a rotation In your defence.

Although, he has just assisted within 2 mins of coming on so....

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Jon Moss there's one ref every week - brutal from Hutton

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Mav3rick wrote:
DanCaek wrote:PvA benched again. Surely time to get rid for those of us that haven't already.
If you've held for the last couple of weeks then I'd hold for one more and bank your transfer. If you have two free, I bet you can find a more profitable move.

Medium term though, if his rotation is not predictable then I don't think you can hold him if he's part of a rotation In your defence.

Although, he has just assisted within 2 mins of coming on so....
He'll play against Villa. Didn't Poyet say he was benched against WBA as they needed a bit of size at the back. Can imagine it was a similar issue with Hull. Villa shouldn't pose that sort of problem, they're pretty lightweight.

BigBuster15
Wideboy

Post by BigBuster15 »

Assist for PvA. unfortunately hes my 3rd sub

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Bellerin or Zouma? Which one of these is the better pick?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”