To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Another Suarez ban?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Another Suarez ban?

Post by gooberman »

Suarez knashers have unbelievably stuck again. Surely another lengthy ban will follow? If so, will it effect Liverpool games?

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Another Suarez ban?

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Luis Suarez, he bites who he wants...

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Overblown again for me. I don't really understand why everyone thinks what he's done is so much worth than a headbutt, punch or two footed challenge. It's just weird if anything. :roll:

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

It will be a 3 match internal ban, which means he could still play in the final should Uruguay reach it.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Stemania wrote:Overblown again for me. I don't really understand why everyone thinks what he's done is so much worth than a headbutt, punch or two footed challenge. It's just weird if anything. :roll:
He's been caught committing the same disgusting, cowardly offence THREE times!

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

Section him, he needs help.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Bron Yr Aur wrote:
Stemania wrote:Overblown again for me. I don't really understand why everyone thinks what he's done is so much worth than a headbutt, punch or two footed challenge. It's just weird if anything. :roll:
He's been caught committing the same disgusting, cowardly offence THREE times!
Yes, but in different seasons and different comps under different governing bodies.

Even then, the likes of Cattermole are sent off multiple times for 2 footed challenges, but the ban is the same every time if it's their first of the season.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

+1. It's weird, but there are plenty of worse things in many matches.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

What an odd thing to say!

Banning him again seems pointless, the length of it is of no deterrent. He can't control himself, he needs help. If he was a dog, he'd be shot...

Joshua82
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consecutive top 3k finishes in FPL (2013-2015)

Post by Joshua82 »

Giggs11 wrote:What an odd thing to say!

Banning him again seems pointless, the length of it is of no deterrent. He can't control himself, he needs help. If he was a dog, he'd be shot...
He's certainly behaving like a dog, so you're not wrong in your assessment of him needing help (although I wouldn't go as far as sectioning him).

In my opinion, Suarez basically can't control the primitive part of his brain - the emotional part which is often referred to as the limbic system. This part of the brain has been operational ever since we lived as hunter gatherers and is responsible for our fight/flight/freeze responses which our important for our survival (think of a lion coming towards you, you'd automatically go into flight mode to avoid potential death). My guess is that he takes winning so seriously he goes into fight mode and engages in very primitive behaviour when he feels a defender is stopping him from achieving this, such as biting Chiellini who was "in his way" (which is why it looked so unprovoked). I can understand this on a football field, social rules can go out of the window in such an emotional and passionate environment.

As mammals we are part of the animal kingdom so this kind of behaviour is possible in all of us. In many ways, what Suarez did is actually quite "natural". Rightly or wrongly, many people use violence when they feel cornered (they just normally use fists), but mammals bite all the time in fight mode (cats, dogs, etc), it's just that most of us are civilised beings who don't regress to this level (although some people are actually quite into biting, but they leave that kind of stuff to the bedroom!).

Unfortunately Suarez is clearly in need of some therapy to understand and control this issue of his as he's making a habit of it and violence is never good on a football field. It's not a good example to set youngsters and it's destroying his reputation and career.

I agree with Stemania though, it's all blown out of proportion. Two footed challenges are the worst IMO as they end careers. People calling for a lifetime ban for biting is ridiculous. Yes it looks unsavoury and causes teeth marks, but elbows, punches and bad tackles cause more damage. Cattermole is 10x the thug Suarez is!
Last edited by Joshua82 on 25 Jun 2014, 02:26, edited 2 times in total.

em9999
Dumbledore
FS Record: Finished 23rd suns 2010 world cup game. Finished 2302 overall in The Suns Premier League game

Post by em9999 »

Never read so much crap in my life.

To go on a pitch and physically assault another player and for people to then say there are much worse things that happen in football.

Are you having a laugh a two footed challenge is a serious offence but it is part of football and happens from time to time.

But biting someone that's the act of a coward and has no place on a football pitch and should be slammed by all football fans. Even if you support Liverpool...

It may be excused once (maybe) but THREE times the guy is thick as two short planks and the only way to get the message to him is ban him and ban him for a long time.

Cant imagine how anyone could stick up for the guy i really cant

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

As far as I know though, Cattermole doesn't truly go out to harm a fellow Pro and hasn't ended anyone's career? At least not yet anyway...

I just believe Suarez is mad, and shouldn't be allowed on a Professional football field again. It's not so much wanting a lifetime ban for the biting, it's for his complete lack of self control and the worry of what he could do next. What if someone really upsets him one day?

Joshua82
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Joshua82 »

em9999 wrote:Never read so much crap in my life.

To go on a pitch and physically assault another player and for people to then say there are much worse things that happen in football.

Are you having a laugh a two footed challenge is a serious offence but it is part of football and happens from time to time.

But biting someone that's the act of a coward and has no place on a football pitch and should be slammed by all football fans. Even if you support Liverpool...
And 2 footed tackles aren't cowardly either? They often deliberate

People are just questioning the logic. A 2 footed tackle that can break bones and end a career gets less attention and potentially a shorter ban than Suarez leaving teeth marks on a defender.

And nobody here is sticking up for him. I think we can all agree it was an unsavoury act of violence that deserves a ban. But worse things do happen which receive far less attention.

Joshua82
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Joshua82 »

Giggs11 wrote:As far as I know though, Cattermole doesn't truly go out to harm a fellow Pro and hasn't ended anyone's career? At least not yet anyway...

I just believe Suarez is mad, and shouldn't be allowed on a Professional football field again. It's not so much wanting a lifetime ban for the biting, it's for his complete lack of self control and the worry of what he could do next. What if someone really upsets him one day?
Cattermole is arguably much more of a risk to fellow pro's on a football pitch than Suarez. 7 red cards tells its own story about his rash tackles. If he truly respected his fellow pros he'd have more self control by not being sent off so many times for dangerous challenges. What if one of those tackles ends a career one day? Should he have a lifetime ban too?

Scottoffee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in a month on Sky at some point...

Post by Scottoffee »

This is now the World Cup, biggest stage there is and they cant allow him to get away with crap like this...

If a kid goes and does this in a match next weekend, he'd be kicked off the team (probably banned from the league) and/or suspended from school.

FIFA knows they cant have a grown man thats supposedly in the top 5 strikers in the world and is on £100k+ per week going around continually biting people in front of massive worldwide audiences.

Minimum 6 month ban from ALL football.

Even as an Evertonian, I feel bad for Liverpool - They're going to lose out on either their best player being made unavailable, or on the shedload of money that nobody will pay for him now.

Also for Italy, if this had been noticed by the ref, there's every chance that they would have gone on to win.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

How about one of those dreaded school detentions. As the teacher said 'You must have the responsibility of the group, so I'm giving you all detention. Then you maybe able to sort out your individuals.' God in all. :D

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Read this and seems he was offered help last time and rejected it.

Surely it would be best for everyone concerned - the player himself and those who he plays against - if he sought psychological help. He was offered counselling after he had attacked Branislav Ivanovic last season but preferred not to take advantage of it. One doctor who studied that attack on the Chelsea man reckoned it was so uncontrolled that - without concentrated psychiatric assistance - he would be bound to repeat the behaviour again within five years. That he has done it within a year is further proof of the assistance he requires. Any ban incurred for this latest transgression must include intervention as part of the sentence.

Bert.
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bert. »

Appropriate that his name is virtually Sewerez...

Global ban to follow :mrgreen:

GobiLux
FISOhead

Post by GobiLux »

Giggs11 wrote:As far as I know though, Cattermole doesn't truly go out to harm a fellow Pro

:shock: :shock: :shock: Come again!

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

You know better, Gobi?

How???

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

To be fair, Suarez doesn't set out to harm a fellow pro. It's just when the red mist descends, same as a Cattermole "tackle".

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

Like I said, what happens when someone really gets his back up.

What did Chiellini do exactly murf?
I didn't watch the game but in the incident he seemed to simply stand his ground.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Nothing much. Same as Ivanovic. Bizarre.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

JoshYouAre82 wrote: but elbows, punches and bad tackles cause more damage. Cattermole is 10x the thug Suarez is!

Can't agree with that assessment I'm afraid. What talking about racism, diving and biting has done, is completely overshadow the fact he has the 'shithouse tackle'* in his locker too.

Putting the below clip alongside footage of Cattermole's misdemeanors, and I'm sure you couldn't still argue that he is "10x the thug Suarez is"? Cattermole is a complete yard dog, and rightly gets labelled as a thug, but being English and a combative, central midfielder, it's pretty easy to stick that label on him by the fans/media. I'm not so sure Suarez should get away with it just cos he's a different type of player.

At least Cattermole doesn't try and make out he's the one who's been 'done'...

*technical term

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

Couldn't agree more ...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I can think of one player who would rather have been bitten than had Roy Keane attack him...

And I am not saying that biting is not very wrong.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Giggs11 »

I don't recall anyone saying Roy was any sort of angel, least of all himself.

Keane had his reasons, whether you agree with them is irrelevant. As is bringing him into this debate...

Joshua82
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Joshua82 »

moonlightdribbler wrote:
JoshYouAre82 wrote: but elbows, punches and bad tackles cause more damage. Cattermole is 10x the thug Suarez is!

Can't agree with that assessment I'm afraid. What talking about racism, diving and biting has done, is completely overshadow the fact he has the 'shithouse tackle'* in his locker too.

Putting the below clip alongside footage of Cattermole's misdemeanors, and I'm sure you couldn't still argue that he is "10x the thug Suarez is"? Cattermole is a complete yard dog, and rightly gets labelled as a thug, but being English and a combative, central midfielder, it's pretty easy to stick that label on him by the fans/media. I'm not so sure Suarez should get away with it just cos he's a different type of player.

At least Cattermole doesn't try and make out he's the one who's been 'done'...

*technical term
Fair enough, there are some pretty awful tackles in that video that I had no idea he'd committed. I still think Cattermore is more of a thug as he arguably makes more of a habit of bad tackles, but perhaps he's not "10x the thug" I thought he was.

Suarez is definitely the bigger cheat and coupled with those shithouse tackles and repeated biting makes him the worse of the 2 overall.

Couldn't agree more about Suarez making out the one who's been "done". You're never going to change as a human being unless you take responsibility for your actions. Yesterday he said "these things happen in football". At least be a man and apologise to Chiellini, get some help and perhaps you can salvage some respect and repair your career. It makes you wonder how high (or low?) his mental age is.

lurker
Red & Blue Braces

Post by lurker »

Giggs11 wrote:Like I said, what happens when someone really gets his back up.

What did Chiellini do exactly murf?
I didn't watch the game but in the incident he seemed to simply stand his ground.
Theres no 'red mist', theres no counselling needed, its a calculated con-job, moonlightdribblers VT shows that he performs premeditated attacks on a regular basis

The Italian defence kept him from getting goals, so he was going out

He wanted to win so he bit Chielini to spark a reaction, hopefully an elbow so that he could drop like sack of spuds and con the referee into giving a penalty and maybe see the Italians down to 10 men and Uruguay 1-0 up.

He did it in the last world cup with his handball off the line.

He's a cheat. On the biggest footballing stage.

He should be banned from international matches for passed the next world cup and get a painfully long immediate ban. Uruguay should be thrown out and the Italians put through.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

lurker wrote: He wanted to win so he bit Chielini to spark a reaction, hopefully an elbow so that he could drop like sack of spuds and con the referee into giving a penalty and maybe see the Italians down to 10 men and Uruguay 1-0 up.
Weren't the Italians already down to 10 men and Uruguay 1-0 up when it happened? I don't believe for a second it was premeditated.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”